GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 15 Dec 2018, 17:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Rotman (Toronto) MBA Applicants:(2018 Intake)Class of 2020

new topic post reply Update application status  
Current Student
B
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 670 Q43 V39
GPA: 3.7
Re: Calling all Rotman (Toronto) MBA Applicants:(2018 Intake)Class of 2020  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Jul 2017, 08:30
Current Student
B
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V34
GPA: 3.46
Re: Calling all Rotman (Toronto) MBA Applicants:(2018 Intake)Class of 2020  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jul 2017, 23:38
For future applicants, I'm sharing my experience with the application. Hope this helps. Please subscribe because I'll be posting more articles while doing the MBA to help you guys out! https://wondersuite.blogspot.com
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 17 Jul 2017, 06:39
hey sheiq, thanks for sharing your experience. I live in Canada and planning to apply to Rotman this year. How is your experience so far? teaching, accommodation etc.

sheiquiroga wrote:
For future applicants, I'm sharing my experience with the application. Hope this helps. Please subscribe because I'll be posting more articles while doing the MBA to help you guys out! https://wondersuite.blogspot.com
Senior PS Moderator
V
GPA: 3.12
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 17 Jul 2017, 06:59
sheiquiroga wrote:

Thanks for putting that together, Shei
This will immensely benefit students applying to Canadian business schools(especially in the Toronto Area)

I also felt the part about Books to Read Before Your MBA (should help all MBA students in general)

If time permits please do share with us, your insights/takeaways of the interview process!

You've got what it takes, but it will take everything you've got

Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 620 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 670 Q50 V31
GPA: 4
WE: Business Development (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 17 Jul 2017, 07:35
sheiquiroga wrote:

Great post. I would have given you 100 Kudos if I could.
MBA Section Director
V
Affiliations: GMAT Club
City: Pune
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 17 Jul 2017, 07:46
sheiquiroga wrote:

Wow.. your blog posts are very detailed and informative. Thanks for sharing the blog link. We have a place on forum where we display blogs of current students and it would be really nice to have your blog featured there. Let me know if you are interested... https://gmatclub.com/forum/current-stud ... 64691.html

Chances of Getting Admitted After an Interview [Data Crunch]

Must Read Forum Topics Before You Kick Off Your MBA Application

New GMAT Club Decision Tracker - Real Time Decision Updates

Current Student
B

Show Tags

New post 17 Jul 2017, 14:13
Thank you everyone! I feel so inspired because of you all! I'll start writing my interview experience now for everyone to have an idea. Some Rotman bloggers stopped blogging their experience during Term 1 because their schedule was so hectic. I'll try my best to keep on blogging about our adventure.
Current Student
B

Show Tags

New post 17 Jul 2017, 14:14
Hi Narenn, Yes, absolutely. That would be a big help! I would love to be featured there. :shock:

Narenn wrote:
sheiquiroga wrote:

Wow.. your blog posts are very detailed and informative. Thanks for sharing the blog link. We have a place on forum where we display blogs of current students and it would be really nice to have your blog featured there. Let me know if you are interested... https://gmatclub.com/forum/current-stud ... 64691.html
Current Student
B

Show Tags

New post 17 Jul 2017, 16:17
Rotman Interview Experience is up! https://wondersuite.blogspot.com

pushpitkc wrote:
sheiquiroga wrote:

Thanks for putting that together, Shei
This will immensely benefit students applying to Canadian business schools(especially in the Toronto Area)

I also felt the part about Books to Read Before Your MBA (should help all MBA students in general)

If time permits please do share with us, your insights/takeaways of the interview process!
Current Student
B

Show Tags

New post 17 Jul 2017, 16:24
My experience so far is amazing! I love my classmates! Since What's App can't accommodate 350 people in one group, we created a Telegram group for our general discussions. We also created a 'Slack' group to divide our discussions per topic since people missed out a lot before in the Telegram group when they were afraid to open like a 100++ notifications. lol.

I just finished our online courses, and they were tremendously helpful. I used to get bored in our Finance class back in Undergrad because I can't seem to get the gist out of it, but the Rotman professors in the videos explained them very clearly!! We will be having more Pre-MBA courses, co-curricular activities, and Orientation Camp starting this August 8.

nsb58 wrote:
hey sheiq, thanks for sharing your experience. I live in Canada and planning to apply to Rotman this year. How is your experience so far? teaching, accommodation etc.

sheiquiroga wrote:
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 17 Jul 2017, 17:15
Thank you sheiquiroga. This is by far the best insight I have read or observed among those available on the internet. You'll be helping thousands here. Please do stick around :)

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum

Never give up!

Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GPA: 2.8
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 18 Jul 2017, 11:50
Quick question guys - my GMAT is 710 , working on apps but I don't meet minimum GPA requirements.
I don't really have a good excuse for it; I was a lazy student who enjoyed learning but didn't care to do the work. The only mildly mitigating factors might be the fact I went to NTU in Singapore, majored in Environmental Engineering -- not super easy and my thesis topic was not of my choice that really pulled down my GPA.
So is it not worth applying? Their minimum requirement for applying is a GPA of 3.5/5 (scale that I read on website) and I have 3.32 :/
Manager
Manager
B
Schools: - Class of 2016
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.98

Show Tags

New post 18 Jul 2017, 12:16
I'm going to respond on here too, even though you sent a PM since you're not the only one who's messaged me about the GPA thing.

In truth, I believe that GPA is a soft requirement. I think it's more like a "prefer to have" than "must have". However, the issue with not meeting the soft targets then becomes the fact that your GPA is not competitive. Remember that successful applicants don't just meet requirements, but differentiate themselves from the competition. Fortunately there are other aspects of your application to mitigate the low GPA. 700+ GMAT is great, but I'd say not something special (unless you score 750+), especially since you're from Asia. Engineers are very common in business school. You're going to need to think of a way to sell yourself and differentiate yourself in your essays and interviews.
Manager
Manager
B
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 18 Jul 2017, 12:33
jigglypuff wrote:
I'm going to respond on here too, even though you sent a PM since you're not the only one who's messaged me about the GPA thing.

In truth, I believe that GPA is a soft requirement. I think it's more like a "prefer to have" than "must have". However, the issue with not meeting the soft targets then becomes the fact that your GPA is not competitive. Remember that successful applicants don't just meet requirements, but differentiate themselves from the competition. Fortunately there are other aspects of your application to mitigate the low GPA. 700+ GMAT is great, but I'd say not something special (unless you score 750+), especially since you're from Asia. Engineers are very common in business school. You're going to need to think of a way to sell yourself and differentiate yourself in your essays and interviews.

I understand all that and working hard on my application to differentiate.
I am just glad that my application will be assessed and not outrightly rejected only on the basis of GPA and that is a relief
I am planning a reattempt for GMAT
Other aspects from the top of my head - not sure how much they affect but was hoping that they do (hahaha)
1. Woman
2. Environmental Engineering major (with business electives) from NTU in Singapore (currently ranked No. 11) in the world - not the usual IT / Electronic
3. Working in engineering consulting - water reuse sector
4. NGO Experience in funding campaigns - start up
5. Auto pilot mode start up
6. huge ECA at work and college - received recognitions and rewards at work every single year.
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 18 Jul 2017, 12:46
sonikavadhera wrote:
jigglypuff wrote:

I am just glad that my application will be assessed and not outrightly rejected only on the basis of GPA and that is a relief
Other aspects from the top of my head - not sure how much they affect but was hoping that they do (hahaha)
1. Woman
2. Environmental Engineering major (with business electives) from NTU in Singapore (currently ranked No. 11) in the world - not the usual IT / Electronic
6. huge ECA at work and college - received recognitions and rewards at work every single year.

These are not facts, but my opinion based on my observations and conversations with the admissions team throughout the years (before and during my MBA).

1. Being a woman helps. Rotman is trying to get to a 50/50 split. (By the way, if you're not heterosexual, that helps too.)
2. What they'll see is "engineer". Doesn't matter what kind, they're not looking for what you do, but how you think.
3. Not really a differentiator, unless your firm is a global firm that everyone knows.
4. Could be good, depends on what you did, how you progressed, what your impact is. Sell this.
5. Same as above, need to sell this well.
6. Could be good, but make sure they're recognitions that matter. Things like "volunteered every Saturday for two months" won't matter. It's the impact of what you do that does, not what you do itself.
Manager
Manager
B
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 18 Jul 2017, 12:50
jigglypuff wrote:
sonikavadhera wrote:
jigglypuff wrote:

1. Woman

These are not facts, but my opinion based on my observations and conversations with the admissions team throughout the years (before and during my MBA).

1. Being a woman helps. Rotman is trying to get to a 50/50 split. (By the way, if you're not heterosexual, that helps too.)
2. What they'll see is "engineer". Doesn't matter what kind, they're not looking for what you do, but how you think.
3. Not really a differentiator, unless your firm is a global firm that everyone knows.
4. Could be good, depends on what you did, how you progressed, what your impact is. Sell this.
5. Same as above, need to sell this well.
6. Could be good, but make sure they're recognitions that matter. Things like "volunteered every Saturday for two months" won't matter. It's the impact of what you do that does, not what you do itself.

Thanks all this helps.
I am working with a US MNC (Fortune 500 Company and 100 Best Places to Work for)
Unrelated, do I need TOEFL/IELTS? Is Singapore an English Speaking Country?
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 18 Jul 2017, 12:54
Well, it's not really the country you did your school in.

Was your program in university conducted in English?
Manager
Manager
B
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 18 Jul 2017, 12:57
yes my program was in english but my degree does not specify that.
my degree and transcript is in english.
Do i need a letter from the uni.

I took ielts randomly in April but did not send it to any school or anything.
would that work and if required, I should be able to use that right?
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 18 Jul 2017, 13:01
Hmm, that's something you might need to confirm with the admissions team.

Unless someone else here knows the answer.
Manager
Manager
B
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 18 Jul 2017, 13:07
Thanks for the help.
I guess I will write in to Rotman Admissions and ask them
and also get in touch with British Council simultaneously to understand process of reporting scores to desired schools.

Thanks A TON FOR YOUR HELP.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Calling all Rotman (Toronto) MBA Applicants:(2018 Intake)Class of 2020 &nbs [#permalink] 18 Jul 2017, 13:07

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  50    Next  [ 986 posts ] 

Calling all Rotman (Toronto) MBA Applicants:(2018 Intake)Class of 2020

new topic post reply Update application status  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap