GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Nov 2018, 10:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Said (Oxford) Applicants: (2016 Intake) Class of 2017!!

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
Re: Calling all Said (Oxford) Applicants: (2016 Intake) Class of 2017!!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Feb 2016, 21:12
RW911 wrote:
sg2911 wrote:
Done with my interview with Mr Reynolds. Not very good. It started off very well but somehow he wasn't convinced with post MBA goals. His feedback was not encouraging so not having any hopes.

Would be great if you could elaborate a bit on the post-MBA goals bit, that he didn't buy. Do they ask you to foresee your specific future employment/ engagement and the chances of landing the same or is it a free flowing macro level 'outline your plan' Q? I got the interview prep mail today.

I'm from banking too. 5.5 yrs in Risk Mgt (Banking, Capital Markets, India) and intend to seek roles in Debt Cap. Mkts.

Personally I don't think these are a pass/ fail interviews, if the profile's good enough I think the school's gotta take a chance with the candidate. Views and market conditions do change after all.

He was asking about my short term and long term employment opportunities. I think it got to the point where I mentioned that I had some specific firms in my mind related to post MBA target firms and then he said that only a minuscule number students are hired by that firm and I should evaluate whether SBS is the best program for that or not. I mentioned some consulting firms.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 680 Q47 V37
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V38
WE: Other (Investment Banking)
Re: Calling all Said (Oxford) Applicants: (2016 Intake) Class of 2017!!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Feb 2016, 23:08
sg2911 wrote:
He was asking about my short term and long term employment opportunities. I think it got to the point where I mentioned that I had some specific firms in my mind related to post MBA target firms and then he said that only a minuscule number students are hired by that firm and I should evaluate whether SBS is the best program for that or not. I mentioned some consulting firms.

Thank you for your insight. Appreciate it. Yeah I can understand why it felt that way. I hope they see the merit in your case, minuscule as it may be, it is still a number and they've gotta try send their students to where they want to go!

Just got done with mine a day ago. Objectively, it went OK. I did meander and get lost a couple of times, a bad case of nerves, I was too much in awe of my interviewer's career who was an ex-Banker with very enviable achievements. He seemed fairly hopeful about my prospects although he was skeptical about the Fixed Income markets in the City being an easy place to get into. I told him I am not obsessed with the Bulge bracket and open to lower rung ones but I hope it isn't to one of the Boutique firms, I 'd have a tough time paying by student debt from. IF i make it that is.

Let's see how it goes, Banking isn't the best place to be in as it is but I am too much in love with the industry.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 18 Feb 2016, 23:25
RW911 wrote:
sg2911 wrote:

Thank you for your insight. Appreciate it. Yeah I can understand why it felt that way. I hope they see the merit in your case, minuscule as it may be, it is still a number and they've gotta try send their students to where they want to go!

Just got done with mine a day ago. Objectively, it went OK. I did meander and get lost a couple of times, a bad case of nerves, I was too much in awe of my interviewer's career who was an ex-Banker with very enviable achievements. He seemed fairly hopeful about my prospects although he was skeptical about the Fixed Income markets in the City being an easy place to get into. I told him I am not obsessed with the Bulge bracket and open to lower rung ones but I hope it isn't to one of the Boutique firms, I 'd have a tough time paying by student debt from. IF i make it that is.

Let's see how it goes, Banking isn't the best place to be in as it is but I am too much in love with the industry.

All the best. Let's hope for the best.
The banking point came in my interview as well as I had mentioned it as backup career option. He told me that since the industry is not doing good in UK particularly they are expecting even less number of students to be placed in that next year.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Nonprofit

Show Tags

New post 19 Feb 2016, 09:57
Anyone interview with Charlene New? I thought she was really nice...
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 21 Feb 2016, 01:49
Hello,

I interviewed with Oxford too. Being my first preference, I am really hopeful to get through but I am worried because though I answered the important questions well, there were a couple of questions in the end that could've been answered better (including one goof-up while narrating an experience :( )

Does anybody have an idea whether Oxford Said has a waitlist policy? I was just checking the website and there is no mention about it.

Tall Girl

Intern
Intern
Calling all Said (Oxford) Applicants: (2016 Intake) Class of 2017!!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 21 Feb 2016, 10:55
tallgirl wrote:
Hello,

I interviewed with Oxford too. Being my first preference, I am really hopeful to get through but I am worried because though I answered the important questions well, there were a couple of questions in the end that could've been answered better (including one goof-up while narrating an experience :( )

Does anybody have an idea whether Oxford Said has a waitlist policy? I was just checking the website and there is no mention about it.

I am fairly certain that they don't. The interviewer asked me about my status at Cambridge and I told him that I had been waitlisted, and I recall fairly well, he stopped me: "Whats that!? We don't do that around here".

Either way an email to Charlene should help clear things up.

As for the interview, I bungled more than twice so I hear ya :) What's done is done, let's wait to see what they gather from the interview.

Originally posted by RW911 on 21 Feb 2016, 10:48.
Last edited by RW911 on 21 Feb 2016, 10:55, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 21 Feb 2016, 10:53
sg2911 wrote:
All the best. Let's hope for the best.
The banking point came in my interview as well as I had mentioned it as backup career option. He told me that since the industry is not doing good in UK particularly they are expecting even less number of students to be placed in that next year.

Yes, I was told that too. But for some reason it didn't register well with me perhaps because it was followed with a couple of positive lines from the interviewer like "you are just moving across roles so it shouldn't be too hard" etc. TBH Jan was a scaremongering month in the markets with the DB and Credit Suisse bad news etc and it's got everyone spooked about Banking. What a time to be dreaming of working in the City.

Thanks and wish you the very best too!
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V30
WE: Project Management (Venture Capital)

Show Tags

New post 24 Feb 2016, 11:57
MLetty wrote:
Anyone interview with Charlene New? I thought she was really nice...

Hey there! Do share your experience with Charlene, have my interview scheduled with her today :)
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 24 Feb 2016, 12:35
She was super nice. She said she was probably the most laid back admissions person. My interview felt very generic but she did say that she didn't have questions from my application so I am thinking that is why. Good luck!

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 26 Feb 2016, 22:32
Seems the new placement report is updated on the website.

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 27 Feb 2016, 00:20
ramkishore4u wrote:
Seems the new placement report is updated on the website.

Can't seem to find it. Could you please share the link?
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 01 Mar 2016, 17:48
What's with the interview feedback survey, everyone getting it (is it a routine thing)...

Said's interviewers are really nice, I agree with MLetty
and yea there is always a better answer, and you only know it after you are done with the interview, so don't think too much abt it

waiting for 4th ...

_______
- Cheers

+1 kudos if you like

Intern
Intern
DPhil Conference – A fun milestone to reach  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Mar 2016, 09:00
FROM Oxford Admissions Blog: DPhil Conference – A fun milestone to reach

As researchers, it is crucial to present our findings and ideas to the world. We DPhils at the Said Business School had the opportunity last week to present our work during an annual student conference. This conference provides a safe, friendly environment to talk about what we are doing, to get feedback and to connect to fellow students and professors. For me, it was the first time I presented my academic work.

Presenting actual research and data this early in the DPhil process is unusual, but I got lucky and my supervisor and his former DPhil student Basak Yakis-Douglas, my colleague at the Centre for Corporate Reputation, provided me with a dataset and helped me produce some initial results, which I could then present last week.

Lots to learn

I only presented for five minutes, followed by five minutes for questions. Since I am at the very start of my research career, I am no expert in the field yet. I also only started my work on this project only around Christmas and I am aware of many small weaknesses in it. However, during this student conference, it is not unusual to present work that is not complete or not perfect yet. In fact, even the research by experienced academics at larger conferences is hardly ever perfect. Conferences in general provide the opportunity to start a discussion and to get feedback.

While the actual presentation helps spark a conversation about our research, improving our work starts way before the actual day of the conference. That’s because in order to present, we need to organize months’ worth of research into a short presentation. This presentation needs to explain what we are doing, why we are doing it and why this is important. Just to illustrate: I had to summarize my work of about eight weeks into five slides. Others had to summarize their work of several years into a presentation of 10 or 20 minutes! Summarizing what you have done into such a short format really helps get to the bottom of the topic and it clearly points to areas where more work is needed.

Inspiration from the work of others

In addition to organizing my thoughts, I learned a lot from just listening to my peers. All of them are doing incredibly interesting research. Even though many of them work in entirely different fields from what I am looking into, I took away lots of inspiration from all of their presentations. I learned what really great presentations can look like and I have a long list of notes and ideas that will help me improve my own project.

In addition to being a great learning experience, the conference also provided an opportunity to connect with professors from around the school and even some alumni. It was fantastic to see so many professors there and to be questioned and advised by seasoned experts of the profession, during the day as well as during a dinner after the conference.

Next time

In essence, the conference was a small milestone in our journey, but one that was fun and inspiring to reach. The experience from the day will motivate me to work hard for the next few months until the next conference. Later in the summer I hope to speak in front of a wider academic community. Even though I know the feedback there might be harsher than that of my peers here in Oxford, I am really looking forward to the inspiration and improvements I am sure I will take away again.

The post DPhil Conference – A fun milestone to reach appeared first on Saïd Business School Blogs.
ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V30
WE: Project Management (Venture Capital)

Show Tags

New post 03 Mar 2016, 05:59
MLetty wrote:
She was super nice. She said she was probably the most laid back admissions person. My interview felt very generic but she did say that she didn't have questions from my application so I am thinking that is why. Good luck!

I agree :) My interview with her was very comfortable and ended up speaking for close to an hour! All the best to everyone waiting for the results tomorrow!
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 04 Mar 2016, 07:48
Got a ding. All the best to others
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44

Show Tags

New post 04 Mar 2016, 07:54
Received my admit notification just now. Anyone else?
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 04 Mar 2016, 07:56
AOS wrote:
Received my admit notification just now. Anyone else?

Admitted!! Such a relief...
MBA Section Director
V
Affiliations: GMAT Club
City: Pune
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Calling all Said (Oxford) Applicants: (2016 Intake) Class of 2017!!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Mar 2016, 08:17
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 04 Mar 2016, 09:34
Dinged :cry: :roll:, Very dissappointed...
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 04 Mar 2016, 10:36
sg2911 wrote:
Got a ding. All the best to others

Sorry to hear that :(

All the best for the other schools.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Calling all Said (Oxford) Applicants: (2016 Intake) Class of 2017!! &nbs [#permalink] 04 Mar 2016, 10:36

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14    Next  [ 263 posts ] 

Calling all Said (Oxford) Applicants: (2016 Intake) Class of 2017!!

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: SamuelWitwicky

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap