It is currently 19 Aug 2017, 22:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Sloan MIT Applicants (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!!

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 67 [0], given: 32

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Calling all Sloan MIT Applicants (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Sep 2015, 18:42
In case anyone else was wondering, I was able to attend the MIT chat via iPhone without any issue. Well, there was one issue. I didn't realize questions were queued and so I thought the adcoms were just ignoring me and only after I submitted my question three times did I figure out what was going on.

Current Student

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 10 Sep 2015, 18:49
brunojackson wrote:
Someone gut check me here...

The slide show above says "We love to see videos, but be sure to be conscious of the time: 1 minute or less!"

Do you think that will equate to an automatic ding? 1 minute is not very long at all! Mines is barely over 1.

Weird, because I would never exceed the word count on an essay...guess I will have to make some edits!

FWIW, during the chat today Shauna LaFuci Barry said: "If you choose to provide a multimedia presentation/video, try to keep your optional relatively short 1-2 minutes."

BSchool Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 95 [0], given: 14

Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.6
WE: Supply Chain Management (Manufacturing)
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Calling all Sloan MIT Applicants (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Sep 2015, 08:43
Last weekend before round 1 deadline! Good luck and pick up your pace everyone!

So with regards to the Sloan, or in general, any MBA admission optional essays, I had my thoughts, but I find that it is explained by this article very well. I will share the link here and an excerpt from it.

" Not everyone needs to write the optional essay, and by opting to not write this essay, you are not at any kind of disadvantage. The optional essay is an opportunity for you to explain problems or issues that the admissions committee will likely notice anyway, and by proactively addressing the topic, you can essentially “get ahead of the scandal.”
........................................... There are many reasons to write the optional essay, but you should absolutely not feel that you need to write it. If you have nothing to explain and have generally performed well, you should not submit an essay that you wrote for a different school just to fill the optional essay space or write a new essay that simply repackages your strengths. If nothing about your candidacy needs further explanation, you are in an advantageous position and should take a step back and appreciate your situation, not fret about it. "

Long story short, if you messed up somehow or you feel your candidacy can be negatively affect by something that is not due to your fault or things you could control (ie. you got straight two F's on your first year economics courses, or you decided to take a year off school when you were 21 to do a gap year), then by all means, explain it with the option essay. On the other hand, if you are a straight A student, with solid work experience for a few years, and did relatively decent on your GMAT, you don't "have to" write one.

The full article's link is posted below.

http://www.mbamission.com/resources-the-optional-essay/

BSchool Thread Master
B

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 195

Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V40
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 12 Sep 2015, 10:03
I would agree with that with respect to Optional essays for any other school. But for Sloan, I believe, the optional essay allows you to provide extra details about you that you might not have included anywhere else.

stevkang8 wrote:
Last weekend before round 1 deadline! Good luck and pick up your pace everyone!

So with regards to the Sloan, or in general, any MBA admission optional essays, I had my thoughts, but I find that it is explained by this article very well. I will share the link here and an excerpt from it.

" Not everyone needs to write the optional essay, and by opting to not write this essay, you are not at any kind of disadvantage. The optional essay is an opportunity for you to explain problems or issues that the admissions committee will likely notice anyway, and by proactively addressing the topic, you can essentially “get ahead of the scandal.”
........................................... There are many reasons to write the optional essay, but you should absolutely not feel that you need to write it. If you have nothing to explain and have generally performed well, you should not submit an essay that you wrote for a different school just to fill the optional essay space or write a new essay that simply repackages your strengths. If nothing about your candidacy needs further explanation, you are in an advantageous position and should take a step back and appreciate your situation, not fret about it. "

Long story short, if you messed up somehow or you feel your candidacy can be negatively affect by something that is not due to your fault or things you could control (ie. you got straight two F's on your first year economics courses, or you decided to take a year off school when you were 21 to do a gap year), then by all means, explain it with the option essay. On the other hand, if you are a straight A student, with solid work experience for a few years, and did relatively decent on your GMAT, you don't "have to" write one.

The full article's link is posted below.

http://www.mbamission.com/resources-the-optional-essay/

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 120

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 12 Sep 2015, 13:36
Can we submit our application before our recommenders have posted their materials or are we supposed to wait to submit until their stuff is in?

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 120

Current Student

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 12 Sep 2015, 14:59
healthjunkie wrote:
Can we submit our application before our recommenders have posted their materials or are we supposed to wait to submit until their stuff is in?

Yep. When I submitted my application only one recommender had submitted.

BSchool Forum Moderator

Show Tags

New post 12 Sep 2015, 19:29
AnthonyMason wrote:
healthjunkie wrote:

Yep. When I submitted my application only one recommender had submitted.

This is interesting. So my question is... what if you submit it, say tonight, with one recommendation missing. Then a week later, you realized that your recommender for some reason is not able to complete it, then what happens? Does the application still get evaluated as-is? Or does it just get discarded?

This MIGHT be a good opportunity to use the optional essay to explain the possibility of your recommendation stays missing? Just as a preventative action?

Well either way, I think you should follow up and let the person (manager, colleague, professor, professional contacts etc) know that the deadline is coming in 4 more business days. Good luck buddy!

BSchool Forum Moderator

Show Tags

New post 15 Sep 2015, 15:17
Final day and a half!!

Please remember, the deadline is on Thursday at 3pm Eastern Time!

If you have submitted your application already, please remember to change the status for your school so we can get a proper data set for this application! All the best and good luck friends!!!

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 3

Concentration: Finance, Healthcare
Schools: CBS '18 (A)
GMAT 1: 730 Q44 V47
GPA: 3.4
WE: Analyst (Other)

Show Tags

New post 15 Sep 2015, 16:39
I submitted mine and neither of my recommenders have submitted yet. But I see both of them daily and have reminded them about the deadline so I'm not too worried about them getting it in. They've had no problems up to this point.

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 3

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 11

Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 750 Q48 V45
WE: Military Officer (Military & Defense)

Show Tags

New post 15 Sep 2015, 18:32
Application submitted and GMAT club status updated. One more to go before the waiting begins.

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 11

BSchool Thread Master
B

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2015, 19:18
Submitted mine, waiting for my recommenders to upload their stuff (which they said they'd do by EOD).
And now my watch begins (again)...

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 6

Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.3

Show Tags

New post 17 Sep 2015, 00:20
Submitted here. Do they usually send interview invitations on a rolling basis or is it a fixed date?

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 6

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 6

Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41

Show Tags

New post 17 Sep 2015, 00:47
Hey guys,

So I am almost done with the application. Just wondering whether it will reflect negatively on my candidature if I don't input my linkedin profile link in the prompt.
I have been working in the same job since graduation and never invested any time on the profile. will it be better to rather not show it?

What do you guys think.

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 6

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 2

GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 17 Sep 2015, 01:41
Submitted.

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 2

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 54

Show Tags

New post 17 Sep 2015, 03:38
Submitted!

Any idea when the interview notifications start going out?

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 17 Sep 2015, 03:41
manglam13 wrote:
Hey guys,

So I am almost done with the application. Just wondering whether it will reflect negatively on my candidature if I don't input my linkedin profile link in the prompt.
I have been working in the same job since graduation and never invested any time on the profile. will it be better to rather not show it?

What do you guys think.

Why don't do you a quick copy paste from the CV you prepared for applications? Shouldn't take that long.

Upload your workplace contacts as well - people will add you in the next day or two and you will look pretty legit by the time adcom checks out your LinkedIn.

1 KUDOS received
BSchool Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 95 [1] , given: 14

Show Tags

New post 17 Sep 2015, 05:00
This post received
KUDOS
I agree with wordsmith15, updating your LinkedIn actually does not take very long if you have an updated resume handy. And I doubt ad-com will check your LinkedIn profile in the next week or so. It is better to include it than not in my opinion.

As for the interviews invitation, I would imagine them coming in on a rolling basis knowing that the interview period spans for like a month or even longer. And I think some people (the most qualified crop of candidates) will start seeing interview invitation e-mails starting early October. I think expecting them to start sending them out in September is a bit stretching it, but knowing interviews start in October, I don't see them start sending after mid October.

Good luck everyone! And for those who have not submitted their applications...7 more hours! Hurry up!

Kudos [?]: 95 [1] , given: 14

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
B

Kudos [?]: 5 [1] , given: 2

Schools: Sloan '18 (A)
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V41
GPA: 3.7
WE: Analyst (Consulting)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 17 Sep 2015, 09:38
This post received
KUDOS
Just submitted! On the topic of optional essay - I loved this component, I really found it difficult to truly show my personality in the rest of the application. I did a video (90 seconds) and a short blurb to explain it; mainly about a major, unique hobby that I have.

All the best to applicants!

Kudos [?]: 5 [1] , given: 2

BSchool Thread Master
B

Show Tags

New post 17 Sep 2015, 10:09
Congratulations dailydose. Good to see that the optional essay served its purpose in your case :)
dailydose wrote:
Just submitted! On the topic of optional essay - I loved this component, I really found it difficult to truly show my personality in the rest of the application. I did a video (90 seconds) and a short blurb to explain it; mainly about a major, unique hobby that I have.

All the best to applicants!

BSchool Forum Moderator

Show Tags

New post 17 Sep 2015, 10:39
Congrats! I did not do an optional essay LOL

82 more minutes!! Please remember to submit your application AND update your status here at GMATClub! All the best everyone!

Re: Calling all Sloan MIT Applicants (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!!   [#permalink] 17 Sep 2015, 10:39

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  63    Next  [ 1257 posts ]