It is currently 18 Oct 2017, 04:55

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Sloan MIT Applicants (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!!

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 3

Concentration: Finance, Healthcare
Schools: CBS '18 (A)
GMAT 1: 730 Q44 V47
GPA: 3.4
WE: Analyst (Other)
Re: Calling all Sloan MIT Applicants (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Aug 2015, 03:51
PersonalMBACoach wrote:
Allday028 wrote:
Hey all,

So Sloan has made my shortlist and is a place, based on my research, I am really interested in. That said I think maybe the biggest glaring weakness in my app is quant deficiencies. Low quant despite 730 GMAT and a humanities major in college. Worked in a finance at a great brand name since school and did MBA math but I'm wondering if, being as MIT is known to favor the quant side, it is even worth the application for someone in my situation.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Allday028,

Thanks for the post. I would need more info before evaluating whether Sloan is a reasonable choice for you. If you work in finance, you shouldn't be terribly worried about the quant, but I have a few questions:

- GMAT breakdown quant/verbal?
- Undergrad school and GPA?
- Current company and title?
- Performance at work relative to peers?
- Extra-curriculars?

Feel free to post info here or email me if you prefer to keep anything private: scott@personalmbacoach.com

GMAT is 99th percentile Verbal, 60th quant, for 730 total. For company think top BB like GS/MS/JPM doing Risk Management work. Undergrad was in the top 20 type schools, think Johns Hopkins/Northwestern/WashU/Notre Dame with a 3.4 in Econ and decent grades in low level classes but a big decline in GPA in the higher level and graduate level Econ classes I took. As far as performance at work I'm pretty confident my reviews put me in the top 25% or so but they don't explicitly tell you. I've been promoted once and I've been told I'm a lock to be promoted this January again but that won't happen before apps. ECs include college athlete, being a leader organizing fundraising and philanthropic events for homeless shelters and mentoring underprivileged youth, being on several committees at work for event planning for recruiting and education verticals, and a few others.

I feel as if I can certainly get into top schools, but I'm worried that the idiosyncracy of MIT being a more quant heavy school and my GMAT split being so extreme along with struggling in higher level Econ classes that it may be particularly tough.

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 3

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 6

Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41

Show Tags

New post 15 Aug 2015, 12:11
stephenhingston wrote:
I've been to a few events and talked to a lot of the faculty.

The major points: Stick to recent events, within 3 years minimum but hopefully something even more recent. Also its definitely preferable to have the experience be work related.

Although its more of a buzz word among mba programs, Sloan is one of the more "entrepreneurial" programs out there. If you can portray an experience as being adventurous, innovative, or risky, those would likely play well with admissions committee.

Good luck. Just starting my essay now, gunning for round 1.

Thanks man :)
All the best for your applications.

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 6

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

Women’s Week Recap: Here Is What You Missed [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Aug 2015, 01:00
FROM Sloan Admissions Blog: Women’s Week Recap: Here Is What You Missed
I am excited about the success of our recent Women’s Week events. Over 1,000 people registered for at least one of six events! We kicked things off with a Google Hangout and then held panel discussions in Chicago, Washington DC, New York City, Boston, and San Francisco. Our events featured a mix of current students and alumnae from our MBA, LGO, EMBA, and Sloan Fellows programs. The primary objective of Women’s Week was to share the MIT Sloan experience from a woman’s perspective. Our panelists answered a wide variety of questions, from why they chose MIT Sloan, to their favorite Action Learning experience, to what to consider when choosing an MBA program. Each event concluded with networking with an expanded group of alumnae and current students. Check out our Storify recap to see more.

While Women’s Week may be over, there are many opportunities for you to experience MIT Sloan. Please join us for our Women’s Ambassador’s Day on December 3rd; you can register here. We also have many events through the rest of the summer and fall.

I look forward to seeing you on campus, and to receiving your application–apply here.

ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors

This post has been originally posted on the Admissions Blog and re-posted here for convenience.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Schools: Sloan '18 (S)
GRE 1: 322 Q167 V155

Show Tags

New post 20 Aug 2015, 02:53
I have a query regarding MBA program.
Currently, I am working in BIg Data domain and I am looking for some course in the Big Data/Analytics/Data Science.I read on informationweek about MBA in business Analytics by Sloan.
Is it a regular MBA or some different course?

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

2 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 88 [2], given: 62

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 23 Aug 2015, 16:41
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hello Class of 2018 hopefuls. I'm so impressed that there's already such a lot of activity on this thread.

I was a re-applicant to MIT Sloan last season and got accepted in R1. I also got offers from INSEAD and waitlisted at Wharton. I wrote about the whole experience on my blog (http://topdogmba.com) and would like to invite you over to check out some of the material on there - hopefully there's something that will be useful and help you craft a winning application this year.

In particular, I wrote about some of the key credentials of MIT Sloan (http://topdogmba.com/2014/07/11/think-for-yourself-mit-sloan/ and http://topdogmba.com/2014/07/20/think-for-yourself-mit-sloan-part-2/), my own interview experience (http://topdogmba.com/2014/11/28/what-goes-on-mit-sloan-interview-report/) and why I chose to attend MIT Sloan (http://topdogmba.com/2015/02/15/every-little-thing-why-i-chose-mit-sloan-over-insead/).

I'm now in MIT Sloan's Class of 2017 and would be happy to hear from anyone working on their applications.

Just wanted to reach out and offer some free advice. Look forward to seeing you.

TopDogMBA - A Reapplicant's Tail - http://topdogmba.com/

Kudos [?]: 88 [2], given: 62

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 45

Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
GPA: 3.35
WE: Engineering (Consumer Products)

Show Tags

New post 27 Aug 2015, 08:32
You guys have any insight into the optional essay? Are y'all planning to submit anything for this?

I'm not the most creatively inclined so I was planning to write a somewhat traditional essay about the learning experience in overcoming some serious health complications.

I also thought about doing a power point with pictures+explanations highlighting my various experiences and interests, but I felt like this is what most people submit and wouldn't stand out.

2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 19 [2], given: 0

MIT Sloan Chats with Poets & Quants [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Aug 2015, 14:00
This post received
KUDOS
FROM Sloan Admissions Blog: MIT Sloan Chats with Poets & Quants
My colleagues Jeff Carbone and Shauna LaFauci Barry sat down with Poets & Quants Editor John Byrne. They talked about what makes MIT Sloan unique, our Action Learning Labs, and the best piece of advice we have for prospective applicants. Take a look!

ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors

This post has been originally posted on the Admissions Blog and re-posted here for convenience.

Kudos [?]: 19 [2], given: 0

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 19

Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V40
GMAT 2: 710 Q45 V41
GPA: 3
WE: Engineering (Military & Defense)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 30 Aug 2015, 23:01

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 19

Intern
Intern

MFin. Application and Fall Events Calendar Launched! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Sep 2015, 11:00
FROM Sloan Admissions Blog: MFin. Application and Fall Events Calendar Launched!
The application for the Master of Finance class of 2017 is now live! Apply here. The deadline is Monday, January 4th at 3 p.m. Eastern Time. We also have detailed application instructions here.

In the meantime, we’re gearing up for our fall recruiting season and coming to a city near you. Check out our event schedule.

For those of you who are in New England this fall, we would love to see you at our on-campus Open House on October 15th!  I hope you can join us.

BSchool Thread Master
B

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 195

Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V40
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 02 Sep 2015, 07:02
Stephenhingston,
I wasn't going to write the optional essay initially, but I attended one of the admission chats done by Sloan admission staff and they highly recommended using the optional essay to add more information. There was also a video on why they think the optional essay is useful

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 195

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 11

Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 750 Q48 V45
WE: Military Officer (Military & Defense)

Show Tags

New post 02 Sep 2015, 07:16
MV23 wrote:
Stephenhingston,
I wasn't going to write the optional essay initially, but I attended one of the admission chats done by Sloan admission staff and they highly recommended using the optional essay to add more information. There was also a video on why they think the optional essay is useful

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Agreed. I went to a Sloan on the Road presentation and they also mentioned there that it is a great place to show them a bit of your personality

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 11

1 KUDOS received
BSchool Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 95 [1], given: 14

Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.6
WE: Supply Chain Management (Manufacturing)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 02 Sep 2015, 19:03
This post received
KUDOS
I went to one too, and they recommended to have an optional essay only if you want to elaborate more, but do not use one if you cannot come up with anything useful or relevant.

I personally submitted mine without it because I did not think there was enough extra stuff that would add that much value. I think submit one if you really know you got something important to say. I personally do not believe telling them you drink coffee twice a day and prefer Kenyan over Columbian would help in any meaningful way.

Good luck!

Kudos [?]: 95 [1], given: 14

BSchool Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 95 [0], given: 14

Show Tags

New post 05 Sep 2015, 09:13
Less than two weeks remaining before the application for round 1 is due, how is everyone doing?

We got a few hundred people interested in round 1, let's hear something :D!

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 120

GMAT ToolKit User
Diversity Weekend [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Sep 2015, 21:09
Hi All-

Is anyone planning on attending the Diversity Weekend at Sloan? I just submitted a registration form which included an a short essay on why you want to attend and a resume but I'm unclear if all applicants can attend or if I will be notified if I have been formally invited to the event? I'll be flying in for the weekend so I want to be sure before I book anything :) thanks!

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 120

BSchool Forum Moderator

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2015, 04:37
healthjunkie wrote:
Hi All-

Is anyone planning on attending the Diversity Weekend at Sloan? I just submitted a registration form which included an a short essay on why you want to attend and a resume but I'm unclear if all applicants can attend or if I will be notified if I have been formally invited to the event? I'll be flying in for the weekend so I want to be sure before I book anything :) thanks!

Great question, and I am actually not sure. I tried to find out more info, but it was really vague on their website, and it seems like they have not even finalized the schedule for that weekend yet, so I don't know if anyone can answer it. My personal thought would be that as long as you register, you get invited (or allowed to attend). The resume thing is just to help you if you get paired up with a current student there on the weekend.

Do we have someone from Sloan who can shed some light on this?

Current Student

Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
GPA: 3.35
WE: Engineering (Consumer Products)

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2015, 07:51
stevkang8 wrote:
Less than two weeks remaining before the application for round 1 is due, how is everyone doing?

Just finishing up the final grammar checks on both my essays. I think my normal essay is ready. Finalizing my optional essay now. I hope to have this submitted in the next day or two. I was planning tuning in to the online chat tomorrow in case I pick up any pointers before submitting. Resume and everything else is ready to go. I need to send another reminder to my reccomenders to make sure they submit on time.

Will be relieved to get this one over with, definitely my top choice.

Intern
Intern

How Does MIT Sloan Evaluate MBA Applicants? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2015, 08:00
FROM Sloan Admissions Blog: How Does MIT Sloan Evaluate MBA Applicants?
Candidates often ask us, “What does it take to get into MIT Sloan?” While there is no magic formula, it is helpful to understand how we evaluate applicants. Our team developed these slides to help applicants better understand the evaluation process.

We are all excited to start reviewing the Round I applications in a few weeks!

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 26

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2015, 20:58
Someone gut check me here...

The slide show above says "We love to see videos, but be sure to be conscious of the time: 1 minute or less!"

Do you think that will equate to an automatic ding? 1 minute is not very long at all! Mines is barely over 1.

Weird, because I would never exceed the word count on an essay...guess I will have to make some edits!

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 26

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 67 [0], given: 32

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2015, 21:14
stephenhingston wrote:
stevkang8 wrote:

Just finishing up the final grammar checks on both my essays. I think my normal essay is ready. Finalizing my optional essay now. I hope to have this submitted in the next day or two. I was planning tuning in to the online chat tomorrow in case I pick up any pointers before submitting. Resume and everything else is ready to go. I need to send another reminder to my reccomenders to make sure they submit on time.

Will be relieved to get this one over with, definitely my top choice.

Speaking of the online chat, does anyone know if it is viewable on an iPhone? Alternatively, will it be archived and made available after it concludes? I'm going to be at work while the chat is going on and want to make sure I am able to catch it in some form.

Kudos [?]: 67 [0], given: 32

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 3

Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship

Show Tags

New post 10 Sep 2015, 08:11
I am unable to open the ppt. It says "Powerpoint found a problem with the content".

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 3

Re: Calling all Sloan MIT Applicants (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!!   [#permalink] 10 Sep 2015, 08:11

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  63    Next  [ 1258 posts ] 

Calling all Sloan MIT Applicants (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!!

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap