Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 03:58 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 03:58

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [2]
Given Kudos: 17
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42
Send PM
Stanford School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [0]
Given Kudos: 86
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V37
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
Send PM
Re: Stanford GSB: Class of 2017 - Calling All Applicants! [#permalink]
hellokittyisnotacat wrote:
Hang in there R2 friends!! The wait is worth it, :)

Now the million-$-question: R1 H/S dual admits, where will you place your deposit this week???

They're all moving to Massachusetts, I hope.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.7
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
fabiansc wrote:
Got an interview invitation today, I think I woke up the entire neighborhood :)

congratulations!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
Send PM
It is way too quiet on this forum!! The wait continues...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [0]
Concentration: Nonprofit, Strategy
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V46
GPA: 3.96
WE:Consulting (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
For some reason I've got a bad feeling about this one. Hopefully Mr. Bolton will prove me wrong!

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V39
WE:Business Development (Other)
Send PM
Hi everyone! This is my first time ever posting in one of these forums! but I've loved following all your posts and really appreciate everyone sharing their experiences. It's helped me a lot and made the wait more bearable!

I was rejected by HBS couple weeks ago and Wharton yesterday. I'm crushed, but only because that leaves me with 1, my last drop of hope, and my number 1 school, Stanford.

Stanford has always been my dream school, it also happens to be the most competitive to get in to, so i lose more and more hope with each rejection from other top schools and definitely with each day that goes by without me receiving an interview request.

I'm a Middle Eastern women based in Dubai with some North American prior experience. Work in financial data and cover parts of Sub Saharan Africa, so I travel a lot to work with major banks and regulatory authorities in that part of world. I thought that would be appealing to schools, specially with most focusing on diverse knowledge sharing and discussion based learning..anyways..Sorry to ramble on... I needed to vent a little, but here is my question:

Do you guys think I should apply in Round 3 to other schools? For me, It really is now or never. My original plan was to go to Stanford, if not HBS, Wharton or no MBA at all. Now however, after all the work and thought I put into my original applications, I'm considering applying to Kellogg, Haas, and Anderson in Round 3 - even if it is just to prevent being completely gutted and destroyed on March 3rd.

Would love your thoughts. Thanks
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
mogharbel7 wrote:
Hi everyone! This is my first time ever posting in one of these forums! but I've loved following all your posts and really appreciate everyone sharing their experiences. It's helped me a lot and made the wait more bearable!

I was rejected by HBS couple weeks ago and Wharton yesterday. I'm crushed, but only because that leaves me with 1, my last drop of hope, and my number 1 school, Stanford.

Stanford has always been my dream school, it also happens to be the most competitive to get in to, so i lose more and more hope with each rejection from other top schools and definitely with each day that goes by without me receiving an interview request.

I'm a Middle Eastern women based in Dubai with some North American prior experience. Work in financial data and cover parts of Sub Saharan Africa, so I travel a lot to work with major banks and regulatory authorities in that part of world. I thought that would be appealing to schools, specially with most focusing on diverse knowledge sharing and discussion based learning..anyways..Sorry to ramble on... I needed to vent a little, but here is my question:

Do you guys think I should apply in Round 3 to other schools? For me, It really is now or never. My original plan was to go to Stanford, if not HBS, Wharton or no MBA at all. Now however, after all the work and thought I put into my original applications, I'm considering applying to Kellogg, Haas, and Anderson in Round 3 - even if it is just to prevent being completely gutted and destroyed on March 3rd.

!mogharbel فرصة سعيدة يا

Just my 2 cents here. I think your intuition is right that your profile would be desirable to many schools (I happen to work in a similar field). The issue is that you applied to the three most competitive bschools in the world. Even if you're well qualified, the odd's are against you at those schools. The question you're facing now is, as you surmise, "Do I really want/need an MBA, and, if so, do I need it now? or did I just want a feather in my cap?" If the answer is the former, then yes, you gotta apply round 3! Those are great schools you're thinking about adding, but depending on your profile, it may be wise to throw in a safety (not sure if those are safeties for you, all are selective schools) if you really need to do it now. Keep in mind, if you take this path, you can still always decide not to matriculate later, it's just that this option broadens your opportunity set. Good luck!
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V39
WE:Business Development (Other)
Send PM
Scofield050 wrote:
mogharbel7 wrote:

!mogharbel فرصة سعيدة يا

Just my 2 cents here. I think your intuition is right that your profile would be desirable to many schools (I happen to work in a similar field). The issue is that you applied to the three most competitive bschools in the world. Even if you're well qualified, the odd's are against you at those schools. The question you're facing now is, as you surmise, "Do I really want/need an MBA, and, if so, do I need it now? or did I just want a feather in my cap?" If the answer is the former, then yes, you gotta apply round 3! Those are great schools you're thinking about adding, but depending on your profile, it may be wise to throw in a safety (not sure if those are safeties for you, all are selective schools) if you really need to do it now. Keep in mind, if you take this path, you can still always decide not to matriculate later, it's just that this option broadens your opportunity set. Good luck!

Thank you for your response Scofield050! I definitely need an MBA and know that the perfect time is now, for professional and personal reasons. What would you consider good safety schools?
I know the obvious ones, lower ranked, higher acceptance rates.. etc but for me, programs outside the top 20 or 25 are not worth the money.. I could study topics online and up my networking initiative instead..

Appreciate your help! Thanks again.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Send PM
mogharbel7 wrote:
Scofield050 wrote:
mogharbel7 wrote:

!mogharbel فرصة سعيدة يا

Thank you for your response Scofield050! I definitely need an MBA and know that the perfect time is now, for professional and personal reasons. What would you consider good safety schools?
I know the obvious ones, lower ranked, higher acceptance rates.. etc but for me, programs outside the top 20 or 25 are not worth the money.. I could study topics online and up my networking initiative instead..

I think choosing the specific schools that make the most sense depends heavily on personal factors, but it never hurts to apply to as many as possible (subject to application fee constraints)! I think the three you mentioned are great, but keep in mind, anything in the top 20 to 25 will be very competitive, so it's under the circumstances the more you apply to the better shot you have of landing one!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [3]
Given Kudos: 24
Send PM
Kudos
Just as they send out rolling interview inviations over a month long period, I wish they would send out rolling rejection letters....it would make it much less painful!
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, General Management
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
mogharbel7 wrote:
Scofield050 wrote:
mogharbel7 wrote:

!mogharbel فرصة سعيدة يا

FWIW- If I were you, I would seriously consider applying to a program like INSEAD if you were set on going back to school this year and don't necessarily need to be in the US. I went to one of their info sessions back in the fall and I remember them specifically saying that your chances of being admitted will be the same regardless of the round you apply in. They also place a heavy emphasis on diversifying the geographic regions students come from. That being said, I agree with Scofield- I think your profile will be compelling to the schools you're considering for R3 and you should have a reasonable shot!

انت تتكلم عربي كمان؟ scofield و
mogharbel7 i would also echo insead (maybe apply R1 to Jan intake instead of final round for september). The other schools totally depends on what you want out your mba - so many schools that you could R3 into

Haas, darden, duke, kellogg, booth, tuck, then there's also LBS & IE. nobody can really give you a list coz we'd need to know what you are looking for.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3468 [1]
Given Kudos: 210
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
Send PM
Kudos
Others have reiterated this before - but please do not try to predict the interview invite pattern, or assume you will or will not get one. I know several folks (including myself) who didn't get invited till the very end, and I made it through just fine :)

Good luck, everyone!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Send PM
targetlady wrote:
انت تتكلم عربي كمان؟ scofield و

فقط قليلا ... عامين !

:P
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Stanford would you be my valentine??

Posted from GMAT ToolKit
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V39
WE:Operations (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
whiplash2411 wrote:
Others have reiterated this before - but please do not try to predict the interview invite pattern, or assume you will or will not get one. I know several folks (including myself) who didn't get invited till the very end, and I made it through just fine :)

Good luck, everyone!

I don't believe there is NO pattern; just because GSB told so, or we don't know their selection process doesn't mean there's no pattern. I am an engineer and scientist, and given the human nature there is nothing without a pattern. It will just take a lot of effort to predict it; you need to know all the applicants, their profiles, GMAT, GPA, application dates, geographical region, when they received invites etc. Or even if the adcom picks up applicants randomly from the all applicant pool there is still a pattern or in other words distribution according to age, profile, sex etc. and randomization will not make it random in fact. So scientificly proven GSB's statement on no pattern to be wrong:) Oh, did I say I don't believe there is NO pattern? Well, I say so not because I belive there is one, I believe because it's impossible not to have a pattern (even if GSB does think that there's no pattern). Now, this doesn't mean you need to try to predict it, it will take you so much time and data to do it. So it is just reasonable to sit back and relax let them to do their work))
/ just wanted to keep the energy in this topic))
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3468 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
Send PM
Drilling wrote:
whiplash2411 wrote:

Good luck, everyone!

I don't believe there is NO pattern; just because GSB told so, or we don't know their selection process doesn't mean there's no pattern. I am an engineer and scientist, and given the human nature there is nothing without a pattern. It will just take a lot of effort to predict it; you need to know all the applicants, their profiles, GMAT, GPA, application dates, geographical region, when they received invites etc. Or even if the adcom picks up applicants randomly from the all applicant pool there is still a pattern or in other words distribution according to age, profile, sex etc. and randomization will not make it random in fact. So scientificly proven GSB's statement on no pattern to be wrong:) Oh, did I say I don't believe there is NO pattern? Well, I say so not because I belive there is one, I believe because it's impossible not to have a pattern (even if GSB does think that there's no pattern). Now, this doesn't mean you need to try to predict it, it will take you so much time and data to do it. So it is just reasonable to sit back and relax let them to do their work))
/ just wanted to keep the energy in this topic))

I think we're on the same page - I didn't say there was no pattern. I just said it would be a futile and wasted effort to try to predict the pattern. A world of difference there :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Concentration: Technology, Leadership
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.99
WE:Business Development (Entertainment and Sports)
Send PM
hellokittyisnotacat wrote:
Hang in there R2 friends!! The wait is worth it, :)

Now the million-$-question: R1 H/S dual admits, where will you place your deposit this week???

After both admit weekends, I finally chose Stanford GSB vs Harvard Business School, and matriculated. Great joy!

Good luck to everyone with a R2 interview and everyone still waiting for an invite. I look forward to being your classmate, you can do it!
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  56   57   58   59   60   61   62  ...  87   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts