Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 02:36 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 02:36

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1831 [12]
Given Kudos: 833
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.35
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Operations, Sustainability
GMAT 1: 770 Q47 V51
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 110 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
GRE 1: Q169 V165
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Re: Calling all (UNC) Kenan-Flagler Applicants - Class of 2017 [#permalink]
I don't think the actual date matters as long as you do it before the interview deadline.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [1]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V35
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V38
WE:Design (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Kudos
SUBMITTED for r3 as well! Good luck everyone!

By the way this waiting game is cruel. I wish I could freeze myself like Eric Cartman till the decision date :lol:
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [3]
Concentration: Strategy, Nonprofit
GRE 1: Q156 V168
WE:Marketing (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
I had my interview with Mr. Edward Anderson couple of days ago. It was a very interactive interview through Skype.

He was interested in knowing about my work experience and during our interaction, he was trying to know more about the team work and collaboration on projects.
Few questions asked:

1) Many questions on career choices such as why did i do my 1st MBA ?
2) why did i join XYZ company ?
3) why i left that company ?
4) what is my MBA goal ?
5) Why KF is good fit for me and what will i contribute to KF ?
6) How will i contribute to their team work and case discussion ?
7) Do you have any questions to ask ? (to other candidates - Ask only good questions)
I hope this helps.
Best of luck to everyone :-D
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1831 [0]
Given Kudos: 833
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.35
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
Digvijay01 wrote:
In for R3.. phew.. last one for me this exhausting and disappointing season.. Hope this brings some positive news.. :) :)

Dude you have ISB. With that interview, I do not think there is much left with the ADCOM against you :)

All the best!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 600 Q45 V27
GMAT 2: 550 Q47 V20
GMAT 3: 620 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.17
WE:Analyst (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Attended the Open House and Interview day. Now I'm in love with UNC and if I don't get in I will feel like I'm breaking up with my girlfriend...
Best of luck to all of you and for those who have not done the interview yet, don't get anxious. It's more of a talk then an interview and if you have a good story to tell you should be just fine.
Cheers
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 690 Q44 V40
GPA: 3.19
WE:Corporate Finance (Consulting)
Send PM
So I wanted to get some thoughts on follow up notes and how much is "over kill". I have read that its good to keep in touch with the Adcom to let them know you are interested and serious. What does that mean from a frequency and substance stand point? I imagine its a fine line.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 110 [2]
Given Kudos: 40
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
GRE 1: Q169 V165
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Kudos
asgillette wrote:
So I wanted to get some thoughts on follow up notes and how much is "over kill". I have read that its good to keep in touch with the Adcom to let them know you are interested and serious. What does that mean from a frequency and substance stand point? I imagine its a fine line.

I may not be the best person to answer, but for sure send a thank you note to your interviewer.

Beyond that, if you think of any meaningful questions or have a significant event (promotion, etc), it isn't unreasonable to contact the adcom again. You want them to remember you and the good parts of your application, but you don't want to waste their time with something trivial. Basically the follow up needs to be more than "Today my dog got a haircut. Included are some pictures." That is, unless somehow your dog came up in the interview and your interviewer asked you to follow up with a picture. Otherwise your follow up might just read to them "Hi! Remember me? I'm still applying this round and I am nervous about results. Just wanted to remind you that my application is under review. Thanks, bye." (Full disclosure - maybe that's still good? I don't know for sure. To me it just seems like nagging but to someone else it might show persistence or dedication. I also wish I had more insight to everything.)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Kudos
Hi All,

I'm a current 1st year at Kenan-Flagler and used to be relatively involved on these message boards. I thought it would be nice to come back and give some perspective from a more experienced point of view. I know as an applicant I benefited greatly from others doing the same. I'm happy to try and answer your questions. I'll try to check the forums a few times a week if you all find it helpful.

spiceguy wrote:
Hi,

I am just reflecting on the Career Management Webinar from 01/08. How is the job scene at UNC and has it gone down a bit due to alot of changes in CMC or for any other reason?
Appreciate any inputs or counter point of view.

Thanks,

I am currently going through the heart of the recruiting process, so I hope I can give some perspective here. I can honestly say that the CMC's efforts and the job scene here have surpassed my expectations. It does depend on what industry and function you are looking to get, but there are great efforts and successes at expanding opportunities in industries previously neglected.

For example, UNC is extremely strong in Banking and Consulting recruiting. All of the top firms come here and it is really up to YOU to reach the high bar that those companies set. In the tech industry, however, UNC has not historically had high placements (for many different reasons). But if you look at our employment statistics, you will see our reach in that domain is growing exponentially.

I myself have been recruiting for Consulting and Tech and have had interviews with many of my dream companies. At that point, I feel the CMC has done their job--it's just up to the student to clinch the deal. I've already landed a Tech offer on the west coast and still have 4 more interviews to come.

So in short, the changes in the CMC have only improved the job search experience at KF lately.

Happy to tackle some other topics or go into some more detail if useful.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V39
GRE 1: Q165 V161
GPA: 3.6
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
Tarheel2016 wrote:
Hi All,

I'm a current 1st year at Kenan-Flagler and used to be relatively involved on these message boards. I thought it would be nice to come back and give some perspective from a more experienced point of view. I know as an applicant I benefited greatly from others doing the same. I'm happy to try and answer your questions. I'll try to check the forums a few times a week if you all find it helpful.

spiceguy wrote:
Hi,

I am just reflecting on the Career Management Webinar from 01/08. How is the job scene at UNC and has it gone down a bit due to alot of changes in CMC or for any other reason?
Appreciate any inputs or counter point of view.

Thanks,

I am currently going through the heart of the recruiting process, so I hope I can give some perspective here. I can honestly say that the CMC's efforts and the job scene here have surpassed my expectations. It does depend on what industry and function you are looking to get, but there are great efforts and successes at expanding opportunities in industries previously neglected.

For example, UNC is extremely strong in Banking and Consulting recruiting. All of the top firms come here and it is really up to YOU to reach the high bar that those companies set. In the tech industry, however, UNC has not historically had high placements (for many different reasons). But if you look at our employment statistics, you will see our reach in that domain is growing exponentially.

I myself have been recruiting for Consulting and Tech and have had interviews with many of my dream companies. At that point, I feel the CMC has done their job--it's just up to the student to clinch the deal. I've already landed a Tech offer on the west coast and still have 4 more interviews to come.

So in short, the changes in the CMC have only improved the job search experience at KF lately.

Thanks Tarheel2016. Why do you say that 'UNC has not historically had high placements (for many different reasons)'? I thought UNC would have strong associations with Tech companies in the RTP area.

In addition, can you name the Tech companies that are recruiting this year?
Do you know much about marketing there? Are people able to get work outside the traditional CPG - P&G etc roles. What's your social life like? I heard someone say that as a single person it is not always the best place to meet people if you are thinking about settling down soon
Tarheel2016 wrote:
Hi All,

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 710 Q51 V34
Send PM
Ksharma123 wrote:
I had my interview with Mr. Edward Anderson couple of days ago. It was a very interactive interview through Skype.

He was interested in knowing about my work experience and during our interaction, he was trying to know more about the team work and collaboration on projects.
Few questions asked:

4) what is my MBA goal ?
7) Do you have any questions to ask ? (to other candidates - Ask only good questions)
I hope this helps.

Hi, Sharma
is your interviewer AO or alumni.
Now I'm scheduling my interview, but stuck by two choices of Alumni interview and Web Cam.
Thanks
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
KingShark wrote:
Thanks Tarheel2016. Why do you say that 'UNC has not historically had high placements (for many different reasons)'? I thought UNC would have strong associations with Tech companies in the RTP area.

In addition, can you name the Tech companies that are recruiting this year?

I meant to say primarily on the West Coast. You bring up a good point that RTP has quite a few tech companies, and indeed they do recruit at UNC. But West Coast numbers are growing exponentially last couple of years.
Some of the tech companies recruiting on campus include Dell, IBM, Amazon, Cisco, Red Hat, Red Ventures, HP, Microsoft, eBay, Google, Adobe, and more. Some come on campus and others recruit on our job boards but don't do live info sessions. (not familiar with very many RTP companies, sorry!)

angelfire213 wrote:
Do you know much about marketing there? Are people able to get work outside the traditional CPG - P&G etc roles. What's your social life like? I heard someone say that as a single person it is not always the best place to meet people if you are thinking about settling down soon

Most of the Tech firms listed above are hiring for Marketing. All the big healthcare conglomerates recruit for marketing/brand management here as well. There are also a couple financial services companies looking for marketing. So I think there's a nice mix outside of CPGs. I will say all the powerhouse CPG's recruit here. (I'm also personally focused on Marketing within Tech)

Re: social life. Well I'm married, and the first semester of school is so intense that you don't have lots of time for fraternizing. However, people here do love to party, and we would have at least 1-2 solid nights out a week last semester. I think that number will grow as we enter this semester and then expand even more during 2nd year. One thing they do very well here is organize school socials with free beer and food almost weekly. Other than that, Franklin street has plenty of bars of all types to choose from.
If you're looking to settle down and get married, it's definitely happened here before, and I see several romances forming this year as well, but I wouldn't go so far as to say the odds are very high of that happening. It just depends.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Send PM
litlong wrote:
Ksharma123 wrote:

Few questions asked:

4) what is my MBA goal ?
I hope this helps.

Hi, Sharma
Now I'm scheduling my interview, but stuck by two choices of Alumni interview and Web Cam.
Thanks

Hi,
At the beginning of the Interview, he told me that he is a senior member of the ad.com. (I wasn't able to hear him clearly at that time - may be Assistant Director)
If you can schedule Alumni Interview, It would be great. This way, you can leave a good impression on the person.

Best of luck :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Ksharma123 wrote:
litlong wrote:
Ksharma123 wrote:

Few questions asked:

4) what is my MBA goal ?
I hope this helps.

Hi, Sharma
Thanks

Hi,
At the beginning of the Interview, he told me that he is a senior member of the ad.com. (I wasn't able to hear him clearly at that time - may be Assistant Director)
If you can schedule Alumni Interview, It would be great. This way, you can leave a good impression on the person.

Appreciate your reply.
Both have pros and cons, but you made good decision to take Skype with AO, because AO probably has more willingness to find a good candidate.

Best of luck.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Send PM
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hi, Sharma
Thanks

Hi,

Appreciate your reply.
Both have pros and cons, but you made good decision to take Skype with AO, because AO probably has more willingness to find a good candidate.

Best of luck.

I was not given the choice of selecting AO or Alumni for the Interview. It happened just like that. From previous posts, I have learned that they generally do AO interview if the applicant has more than 4 yrs of experience. Again, this is what i feel.
I have more than 5 yrs of experience and already has an MBA degree. This can be one of the reason's fr AO Interview :wink:
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [4]
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Marketing
GRE 1: Q161 V170
Send PM
Kudos
I just had my interview with John Hughes, Assistant Director of Admissions. It was a telephone interview and it lasted about 40 minutes. He also looks after the leadership initiative, so he talked about it and UNC also
Some of the questions he asked were:
1) Where did you grow up and how did it influence you
2) Were you involved in any sports during your high school and during your under-graduation
3) Why did you major in the field during your under-graduation?
4) What was your summer internship during your undergraduation about and why did you do it
5) How did you get placed in your current company
7) What interests you about your current work
6) If i talked to your current supervisor, what two words would they use to describe you? and what area does he think you should improve upon
7) Short term and long term goals
8) Why UNC
9) Are you happy with your gmat scores and do you think they justify you?

He was very interactive and followed up on the answers I have said.
He also mentioned that there are a lot more applications this year than the previous years and if I get waitlisted, I should find out the areas where I need to improve upon by contacting admission directors. They might want me to take a test again or attend classes etc. :?

All the best to everyone! :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Marketing
GRE 1: Q161 V170
Send PM
Hi, Can anyone tell me if we have to mail to mba_info@unc.edu when sending Thank You notes or are there separate email ids for everyone in the admissions committee.

Thank you!
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  17   18   19   20   21   22   23  ...  47   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts