It is currently 21 Aug 2017, 14:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling ALL Waitlisted NYU Stern Folks - Class of 2018

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

WE: Marketing (Internet and New Media)
Re: Calling ALL Waitlisted NYU Stern Folks - Class of 2018 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Feb 2016, 02:24
Waitlisted without Interview today!

Excluding the GMAT, what counts as stuff that would help make your case. I haven't been promoted but I have been working on some new projects, but can only be vague about it (work in a large startup extremely private about its numbers). What else makes sense sharing with them?

Also, in the off chance that there is a change in status, are you then invited for an interview?

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 4

Show Tags

New post 12 Feb 2016, 06:15
Oorah1989 wrote:
anishashastri wrote:
Hi Guys,

I got wait listed this week. I know for a fact that it's my GMAT score (630) and there is a huge scope for improvement. Unfortunately, I don't have the time to study. I will need at least a couple of months to get to the 700 mark right. Besides, I see people with the 700 score cribbing about their scores *such humility*. The start up that I'm working for is going to have it's commercial launch soon and life is just crazy at the moment. Do you think there are ways of putting this across without making it sound like an excuse?

Cheers,
Anisha

Hey,

Sorry to hear about your waitlist. However, saying that a low GMAT score was THE reason would be overstating it. There has to be something else they saw, in addition to the score. Now that you mention your score and also that you're involved with a startup, I have a very similar story. I actually took the GRE, and the equivalent of right around where you're at. I am also involved with an international FinTech startup based in India. I know a few people at Stern (current students) with GMAT's well below 650. NYU really is different from other top schools in a way that it does not use your test scores as a "screen".

Being a military veteran, I reached out to the Stern Military Veteran's Club and I'll tell you what a fellow veteran and and MBA2 (now my good friend) told me... Sure, the score may be low, but Stern really does have a holistic process. With a low score, be the person that the school would love to meet (at interview), and would love to take a risk on. Coincidentally, I know an individual who was waitlisted for three months with a GMAT score of 780 before being invited to interview. Hope this helps, and wish you the very best. There is still a LOT you can do to get in.

Thanks for the words, it's very encouraging. I'm still hoping

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 4

Current Student
B

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

GPA: 3.45
WE: Project Management (Computer Software)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 15 Feb 2016, 08:12
Oorah1989 wrote:
anishashastri wrote:
Hi Guys,

I got wait listed this week. I know for a fact that it's my GMAT score (630) and there is a huge scope for improvement. Unfortunately, I don't have the time to study. I will need at least a couple of months to get to the 700 mark right. Besides, I see people with the 700 score cribbing about their scores *such humility*. The start up that I'm working for is going to have it's commercial launch soon and life is just crazy at the moment. Do you think there are ways of putting this across without making it sound like an excuse?

Cheers,
Anisha

Hey,

Sorry to hear about your waitlist. However, saying that a low GMAT score was THE reason would be overstating it. There has to be something else they saw, in addition to the score. Now that you mention your score and also that you're involved with a startup, I have a very similar story. I actually took the GRE, and the equivalent of right around where you're at. I am also involved with an international FinTech startup based in India. I know a few people at Stern (current students) with GMAT's well below 650. NYU really is different from other top schools in a way that it does not use your test scores as a "screen".

Being a military veteran, I reached out to the Stern Military Veteran's Club and I'll tell you what a fellow veteran and and MBA2 (now my good friend) told me... Sure, the score may be low, but Stern really does have a holistic process. With a low score, be the person that the school would love to meet (at interview), and would love to take a risk on. Coincidentally, I know an individual who was waitlisted for three months with a GMAT score of 780 before being invited to interview. Hope this helps, and wish you the very best. There is still a LOT you can do to get in.

Hey Oorah1989,

Thank you so much for those motivating words. Yes, I do know that there are other things I can do as well to push them towards at least giving me a shot at an interview. I plan on writing an essay speaking about my diverse background and how I believe I will be able to contribute back to the class. Wish me luck!

Cheers,
Anisha

Current Student
B

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 20 Feb 2016, 04:51
Guys,

How do we go about sending recommendations? Does it have to be in the same format as the earlier recommendations, does the recommender have to send it directly and if so to which email ID?
Any clue?

Cheers,
Anisha

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 2

Show Tags

New post 25 Feb 2016, 15:30
Same boat as you lot, waitlisted but without interview. Now to work on those supplemental essays...
Good luck everyone, hope we get out of this purgatory together!

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 2

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 2

Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
WE: Analyst (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 02 Mar 2016, 06:10
New to the WL, but not really expecting to get accepted off of it.

Best of luck to everyone!

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 2

1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 306 [1] , given: 125

Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GMAT 1: 710 Q43 V44
GMAT 2: 770 Q49 V46
GPA: 3
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 15 Mar 2016, 22:22
This post received
KUDOS
Why New York University Fell in the Best Business Schools Rankings - (I am a current student) - Message from our Dean -

Why Stern’s Ranking Fell to 20, and Why You Shouldn’t Take it at Face Value
— March 16, 2016
US News and World Report published its rankings of full-time MBA programs today, and Stern dropped from 11 last year to 20 this year, we know why, and here’s why you shouldn’t accept it at face value.

US News shared the rankings with us last week. We were surprised, looked at the data, and found that Stern’s scores were higher than a number of other schools with higher ranks (see here for example.) So we challenged their ranking of Stern.

US News told us that Stern's drop was largely attributable to a single missing data point – one missing answer (concerning how many students submitted GMAT scores) out of over 300 questions. In its absence, US News had substituted an “estimated” number (we do not know how this estimate was derived.)

We promptly provided the correct information, but US News declined to adjust the rankings.

The failure to submit the data is ours; that said, it was wholly unintentional, it’s a question we’ve always answered in the past, US News never flagged the missing information, and the missing data was virtually identical to last year’s. Going forward, we will further tighten the procedures for data submissions so such lapses do not recur.

I thought it important to write you because it is not right to let this ranking stand without comment given that we know it is based on faulty information that we sought to correct before US News released its rankings publicly.

In addition, for both prospective students and current members of our community, I would ask you to bear in mind: in the real world Stern’s outstanding quality is no different this week than it was last week.

Sincerely,
Peter Henry
Dean, NYU Leonard N. Stern School of Business

"Never, Never, Never give in."

From 510 to 770:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/510-to-770-49q-46v-7ir-what-worked-for-me-2-years-176580.html#p1394349

From 2 dings to multiple admits (use Paul Bodine):
http://gmatclub.com/forum/best-admissions-consulting-companies-2015-season-190156.html#p1492255

Kudos [?]: 306 [1] , given: 125

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 306 [0], given: 125

Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GMAT 1: 710 Q43 V44
GMAT 2: 770 Q49 V46
GPA: 3
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 15 Mar 2016, 22:23
http://www.stern.nyu.edu/experience-ste ... oredetails

http://www.usnews.com/education/blogs/c ... s-rankings

"Never, Never, Never give in."

From 510 to 770:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/510-to-770-49q-46v-7ir-what-worked-for-me-2-years-176580.html#p1394349

From 2 dings to multiple admits (use Paul Bodine):
http://gmatclub.com/forum/best-admissions-consulting-companies-2015-season-190156.html#p1492255

Kudos [?]: 306 [0], given: 125

Current Student
B

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 02 May 2016, 19:55
Has anyone heard anything yet?

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 60 [0], given: 6

GPA: 3.33 (UG), 3.61 (Grad)
Concentration: Technology, Healthcare
GMAT 1: 640 Q42 V36
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V39
WE: Engineering (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)

Show Tags

New post 12 May 2016, 12:27
anishashastri wrote:
Has anyone heard anything yet?

got dinged yesterday, but probably didn't help my cause by submitting exactly zero (0) application updates :)

my MBA blog: b-school debrief: an engineer’s (multi)year-long journey from GMAT to admission

things that got me through app season: essaysnark, touchmba and a bottle of hibiki 17

Kudos [?]: 60 [0], given: 6

Re: Calling ALL Waitlisted NYU Stern Folks - Class of 2018   [#permalink] 12 May 2016, 12:27

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 30 posts ]