GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 11 Dec 2019, 23:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Career gap before joining MBA bad decision?

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
Career gap before joining MBA bad decision?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2019, 02:31
Profile- B.Sc Maths GPA 6.58
Work experience - 5+
Industries - Banking,Commercial Electronics, NBFC
Location - India

Notable achievements in extracurricular activities & social work and won several awards.

I'm currently working as a credit risk analyst in a NBFC that's having a slowdown due to liquidity issues. We are being paid with huge delays.

The company currently can swing either way (fully closing down or get into a merger deal).

Trying to stay in a stalemate situation is heavily demotivating.

But since for my profile the usual expectation is an MBA my job hunt has been really stunted.

My initial career plan was working here for 2-3 years before doing my MBA but since this has happened only recently I have started thinking if joining MBA in the 2020 intake itself would pan out well.

Because the situation here is so stalemate and not conducive to doing prep as well,how would it impact admissions and placements if I quit my current job and have a career gap until I start college?

One idea I see is full time volunteering & adding relevant certifications.

But will it still be enough?

[size=80][b][i]Posted from my mobile device[/i][/b][/size]
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Re: Career gap before joining MBA bad decision?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2019, 04:04
Hi,

I can understand your situation but it won't look good if you have a gap in your resume. Also, if you're serious about your MBA then taking a new job also wouldn't look good just for 8-10 months. My recommendation is to stay put in your current job and start preparing for your GMAT. It will take time for you to prepare and apply.
Starting your MBA in 2020 seems little difficult especially since R1 is almost over and I'm not sure by when will you have your GMAT ready.

Where are you planning to pursue your MBA from?

Check out our new tool MBA Matrix https://EduSimplified.com/mba-matrix
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 28 Sep 2019, 05:36
Thanks a big ton for hearing me out and replying!

I wish I could stay put too. but if it does shut down then I do not have a choice right.

How affirmative is saying "Instead of being in a stalemate job, I sought alternate employement elsewhere as a strategic career choice while preparing for GMAT?"

And yes.I might take 4-5 months of solid prep to have a above average score. Time that I do not have.

As to B-schools, currently looking at Indian B-schools (ISB and the likes). I have no apprehension towards moving to another country but given that 2 year programs in many b-schools are shutting down, I am quite wary about the same.

Posted from my mobile device
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 29 Sep 2019, 23:22
You understand your situation better than anyone. If I were you I would continue in my present job and prepare for GMAT. Even if that meant half-assing it on your current job. If the company shuts its operations you already have a good line to say that the company shut its operations.

One year programs are definitely on the rise and there are many 1 year MBA programs abroad as well. You'll need to decide your post-mba goals to narrow down on your target country/schools.

Best,

Check out our new tool MBA Matrix https://EduSimplified.com/mba-matrix
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 29 Sep 2019, 23:38
Makes complete sense to me.
Thanks

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 27 Nov 2019, 05:04
dn't hear. any other false opinions , go through ur situations & tak correct decision
all the best
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Career gap before joining MBA bad decision?   [#permalink] 27 Nov 2019, 05:04

Career gap before joining MBA bad decision?

new topic post reply Update application status