GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Oct 2018, 09:11

Fuqua EA Calls in Progress:

Join us in the chat | track the decision tracker | See forum posts/summary

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Certain blocks of Melbourne, most notably the tiny alleyways throughou

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior SC Moderator
V
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Certain blocks of Melbourne, most notably the tiny alleyways throughou  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Mar 2017, 06:42
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

65% (00:53) correct 35% (00:58) wrong based on 319 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Certain blocks of Melbourne, most notably the tiny alleyways throughout the central business district, seem to have more pubs and restaurants than there are people.

A. there are
B. their
C. are
D. they have
E. do

"Be challenged at EVERY MOMENT."

“Strength doesn’t come from what you can do. It comes from overcoming the things you once thought you couldn’t.”

"Each stage of the journey is crucial to attaining new heights of knowledge."

Rules for posting in verbal forum | Please DO NOT post short answer in your post!

Advanced Search : https://gmatclub.com/forum/advanced-search/

Intern
Intern
B
Re: Certain blocks of Melbourne, most notably the tiny alleyways throughou  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Apr 2017, 01:59
i thinks it's D and it's correct but i don't know the reason ...
Senior SC Moderator
V
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Certain blocks of Melbourne, most notably the tiny alleyways throughou  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Apr 2017, 02:27
ziyuen wrote:
Certain blocks of Melbourne, most notably the tiny alleyways throughout the central business district, seem to have more pubs and restaurants than there are people.

A. there are
B. their
C. are
D. they have
E. do

OFFICIAL EXPLANATION

This comparison problem begs for an apples-to-apples comparison, as the sentence compares the number of pubs/restaurants on those blocks of Melbourne to the number of people on those blocks.

Choice D makes that proper, parallel comparison. The blocks seem to have more restaurants than they (the blocks) have people.

In terms of parallel, logical comparison, choice E perhaps makes the most egregious error, comparing the number of pubs that these blocks have to the number of pubs that "people do," meaning the number that "people" have. Choice B is similar if more ambiguous - is it comparing the pubs the block has to the pubs that the block's people have?

Choice C should clearly be wrong from a logical and diction perspective. And choice A, among other problems, exhibits a significant lack of clarity. Does "there are" mean the number of people that are on those blocks? That there are in the world at large?

Choice D makes a logical, clear comparison and is therefore the correct answer.

"Be challenged at EVERY MOMENT."

“Strength doesn’t come from what you can do. It comes from overcoming the things you once thought you couldn’t.”

"Each stage of the journey is crucial to attaining new heights of knowledge."

Rules for posting in verbal forum | Please DO NOT post short answer in your post!

Advanced Search : https://gmatclub.com/forum/advanced-search/

Intern
Intern
B
Certain blocks of Melbourne, most notably the tiny alleyways throughou  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 08 May 2017, 11:19
Doesn't it sound weird?
"Blocks have people"

It sounds illogical to me.

Originally posted by ariiet on 08 May 2017, 07:29.
Last edited by ariiet on 08 May 2017, 11:19, edited 1 time in total.
V
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 540 Q45 V20
GPA: 2.49
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 08 May 2017, 07:44
ariiet wrote:
Doesn't it sounds weird?
"Blocks have people"

Hi ariiet,

You see blocks divides the areas. These blocks can have pubs, restaurants, apartments and houses. You must have noticed blocks say D block in some areas of cities where you can find too many pubs and restaurants but almost no house or apartments. You can say about such blocks that there are 20 pubs but not even 10 people live there. This is why the comparison is valid.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Target - 720-740
http://gmatclub.com/forum/information-on-new-gmat-esr-report-beta-221111.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/list-of-one-year-full-time-mba-programs-222103.html

Intern
Intern
B
Schools: SMU '19 (A), LBS
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V33
GPA: 3.3

Show Tags

New post 11 Feb 2018, 01:01
Hii Experts, I am not able to digest How Blocks can have people? I think people are in the block not blocks have them
Manager
Manager
G
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 11 Feb 2018, 01:10
rajatkataria14@gmail.com wrote:
Hii Experts, I am not able to digest How Blocks can have people? I think people are in the block not blocks have them

You can think of 'blocks' as a physical space. This might be confusing to you, but don't we say that this area of the city has a lot of people? Basically the question is trying to compare people with pubs and restaurants. It may seem weird, but once you understand what the sentence is trying to convey, you'll get to the right answer. BTW, this is a non-official question, so don't spend too much time focusing on the awkwardness. :)

Hope this helps!

Please take a moment to hit Kudos if my post helps.

EMPOWERgmat Instructor
S

Show Tags

New post 12 Feb 2018, 14:59
Hi hazelnut,

Thank you for your question.

Whenever you see a question that has so little underlined, start by looking at simple problems like subject-verb agreement or parallel structure. Since these answers don't seem to deal with verbs, let's look more closely at parallel structure.

The phrase your answer needs to match up with is "to have more pubs and restaurants," so let's put them together with this phrase to see which one is parallel:

A. to have more... than there are = WRONG
B. to have more...than their = WRONG
C. to have more...than are = WRONG
D. to have more...than they have = CORRECT
E. to have more...than do = WRONG

"Students study. GMAT assassins train."

★★★★★ GMAT Club Verified Reviews for EMPOWERgmat & Special Discount

GMAT Club Verbal Advantage EMPOWERgmat Critical Reasoning Question Pack

EMPOWERgmat Instructor
S

Show Tags

New post 13 Feb 2018, 17:11
ariiet wrote:
Doesn't it sound weird?
"Blocks have people"

Hi ariiet!

That's a great question. In most instances, it would make more sense to rewrite this to avoid saying that blocks "have" people. However, since we're stuck with the sentence as it is, it's best to use parallel structure where possible. Consider switching the word "have" to "contain." It means the same thing, but sounds nicer:

Certain blocks of Melbourne, most notably the tiny alleyways throughout the central business district, seem to contain more pubs and restaurants than they contain people.

While it does sound illogical, we sometimes have to make the best of what we've been given! I hope this helps!

"Students study. GMAT assassins train."

★★★★★ GMAT Club Verified Reviews for EMPOWERgmat & Special Discount

GMAT Club Verbal Advantage EMPOWERgmat Critical Reasoning Question Pack

Intern
Intern
B
Schools: SMU '19 (A), LBS
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V33
GPA: 3.3

Show Tags

New post 03 May 2018, 05:55
hazelnut wrote:

A. there are
B. their
C. are
D. they have
E. do

Official explanation says Choice C should clearly be wrong from a logical and diction perspective? I can't understand how?
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Certain blocks of Melbourne, most notably the tiny alleyways throughou &nbs [#permalink] 03 May 2018, 05:55

Certain blocks of Melbourne, most notably the tiny alleyways throughou

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap