GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Jul 2018, 20:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

My Chances at Harvard - Post All Profile Evaluation Requests Here!

new topic post reply Update application status  
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
G
Re: My Chances at Harvard - Post All Profile Evaluation Requests Here! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Mar 2018, 19:10
Kghp Thanks for sharing your profile, breaking into the 2+2 program is really tough for all candidates and especially so for candidates coming from your competitive demographic. Your profile is solid, nothing here that will have you stand out however, what is your GMAT?

Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews

Expert Post
G
Re: My Chances at Harvard - Post All Profile Evaluation Requests Here! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Mar 2018, 19:24
Hey @tvaxp nice solid profile here. The one thing that stood out is your GMAT which will be on the lower end for a school as competitive as HBS also given your demographic, top programs like HBS will have tons of similar applicants who will have higher GMATs. Do you think you can bump up that score a bit?

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 12 Mar 2018, 20:08
Hi Everyone. May be a bit early but want to prepare, so would appreciate a critique and any advice for application in the next 1.5 years

Work Experience: Approx. 1.5 years at a mid-tier management consulting firm. Fast tracked for an early promotion after 1 year and on track for another. Considering trying to get into a top tier Consulting firm if it seems the brand name would be worth it.

GMAT: 780 Q50 V50

Academics: BA in Economics from UC San Diego with a 3.45 GPA

Extracurriculars:
1. 7 years of work with a homeless shelter in Harlem, NY. Organized and led a project to landscape a secure courtyard into a play area for children to play in safety.
2. 2 years work with a local charity aimed towards underprivileged women and children. Tutored and helped host courses to teach kids life skills
3. Just got involved in the local Toastmasters club, intending to continue

What areas do i need to improve the most?
Expert Post
G

Show Tags

New post 12 Mar 2018, 20:21
Hey Crazycow1028 looks like you are off to a good start, ok UG academics...GPA will be slightly under the avg at HBS and UCSD won't be seen as an elite UG but still solid. But your GMAT is really strong so there will be no doubts about your aptitude. Work experience also seems to be going in the right direction, albeit a limited amount of experience. If you can keep up with this trend and or trade up to a top firm that could also help your candidacy.

No real gaps in your profile based on the info provided, if you can put together a strong application and an insightful essay, you may be competitive at HBS

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 13 Mar 2018, 05:47
Hi,

Indian, Male, Age - 26 (Sep 1991 Born)
Graduation - IIT Madras - B. Tech in Biotechnology (2009-2013)
Graduation CGPA - 7.55/10
12th - CBSE - 92.4% (2009)
10th - CBSE - 92.6% (2007)

Work Ex - 2013-2019 (By the time I join a B-school) - 05 years

• Assistant Central Intelligence Officer, Intelligence Bureau (IB), Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India.
o District Post In-charge, Border Intelligence Post, XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX.
o Have been issued the Annual Commendation Certificate - 2017, a Letter of Appreciation signed by the Joint Director (Bihar), and have received 04 cash rewards from the Indian Government for my work in these 02 years.
o Classified clandestine activities of secretive nature. (May 2016 – Continued)

• Co-Founder, IAS-Baba Educational Services for Civil Services Examinations (Start Up) (Jan 2015 – Mar 2016)
o Broke even within 3 months of launch; Achieved a turn-over of 1.5 million INR within 12 months of operation.
o Content Generation, Management of Offline Classes and Marketing Head.

• Studied for and attempted the Government of India’s Civil Services Examination, conducted by the Indian Union Public Service Commission. (Dec 2013 – Dec 2014)

POSITIONS OF RESPONSIBILITY
• Core, Events, BioFest 2012 – IIT Madras Biotechnology Department’s FIRST festival. (2012)
o Organized and structured the first edition of Biofest which attracted over 500 participants.
o Headed a team of 35 students to organize 12 Events for the first time.
o Conceptualized 5 new Biotech-based events which were not implemented before in any college fest.
o Impressed with the quality of the events, sponsors offered to support for an additional two years.

• Core Committee Member, Al Gore Sustainable Technology Venture Competition 2011, IIT Madras. (2011)
o Headed a team of five coordinators to conduct this international event at IIT Madras.
o Increased the sponsorship amount from 50,000 INR in the previous edition to 350,000 INR.
o Doubled the participation by implementing new publicity strategies, as a result had foreign participation for the first time from Dhaka University, Bangladesh.

• Coordinator, National Services Scheme – Environmentally Conscious Group, IIT Madras. (2011)
o Headed a team of 20 students and organized humanitarian activities throughout the year.
o Includes a beach clean-up & teaching in flood-affected schools for 5 days in rural parts of Andhra Pradesh.
• Counselor, Narmada Hostel Freshers, Guidance and Counseling Unit (GCU), IIT Madras. (2011, 12)
o Mentored 6 freshmen by conducting personal guidance sessions to ensure a smooth transition to college life.

HOBBIES, SKILLS AND INTERESTS
• Quora Top Writer – 2017. Followed by over 50,000 users and have over 08 million views on my content in the popular Q & A website, Quora.
• Motorcycle Riding – Rode over 1000km across the mountainous Himalayan roads, in my Royal Enfield Classic 350.
• Cycling – Chennai to Mahabalipuram – 100km in one day cycling. Chennai to Kovalam beach - 60km in one day.
• Secured All India Rank 225 in National Cyber Olympiad held by the Indian National Science Foundation.

GMAT Score - 690 Q48, V35 (Will be re-taking it. Some issue at the centre - https://gmatclub.com/forum/horrifying-g ... 61187.html)

So, after graduation, while I studied for the Indian Government Civil Services Examination, I had to study history, geography, politics, international relations, science, economics and everything else under the sun. I had become a jack of all trades, trying to understand a bit of everything. And then when I started the company that teaches syllabus and provides test series for Civil Services Examination, I became better at analyzing any issue of any topic on any subject.

Then, when I joined the Government of India, I quickly rose to become a head of the entire post in a district. I had to handle the issues of the district with my staff. So, leadership skills were also imbibed, alongwith application of real-time solutions to real-time cases, of a variety of topics. (Had to work through devastating floods, helping people, in a rural setting, set up elementary schools for the poor etc, which all are well-documented in my online blog and Quora profile.)

But, as of now, I am stuck in middle management of the Government and raising through the ranks in a Government sector takes years, if not decades. I have potential to manage issues at a much larger scale, and I have received recognition and awards within a very short span of time. But, promotions are seniority based and the pay is uniform. So, I shall get promoted only after 5-6 years minimum and for almost negligible pay rise. So, I thought an MBA at this stage would be logical, where I have stagnated a bit career-wise, but where I still have potential to take more responsibility for a faster rise on the career ladder.

Because I have had a history of understanding a lot of topics on a lot of subjects, and since I have applied solutions on a variety of cases as a District Head, I thought a career in Consulting would do me good. Where the entire job is to find the most optimal solutions for a variety of case studies. And the best way for a career switch from a Government job as a District Incharge (Which doesn't give much responsibility, cannot get faster promotions based on merit, nor can offer a raise in performance based pay), would be pursuing an MBA.

That way, I can switch careers to Consulting or General Management.

I am not interested in Finance, nor in Sales nor Marketing or such. I want to sit and solve real life issues, cases and provide out of the box solutions. So, yeah, Consulting or General Management.

I am focusing on schools in and around Boston / New York area. So, where do you think I would fit? Thanks! I am new to all this. I just know what I want to do. But, dont know how to proceed or where to apply.
Intern
Intern
B
Affiliations: ALTA.MBA

Show Tags

New post 14 Mar 2018, 19:24
Kghp wrote:
Hi everyone,

As an undergraduate senior, I'm considering applying to deferred admissions MBA programs in 2018, specifically the programs at Stanford and Harvard (2+2). I would appreciate any thoughts/advice/recommendations!

Background:
Sex: Male
Nationality: Indian

Education:
CGPA: 8.0+(out of 10) from best ranked engineering university in India for past three years (IIT)
GMAT: Estimating 710-730
Language: English, Hindi, Tamil, Telugu ( Last three are regional languages in India)

Work Experience:
Internship in one of Indias leading Truck manufacturing company. ( 6 weeks ) // Developed a new model to evaluate their clutch performance.
Internship working on a supply chain project in Indias leading watch manufacturing firm. ( 6 weeks) // improved cycle-time efficiency.
Summer internship as research intern in Indian Institute of Management Ahmedabad(IIMA)(It is one of the best B-School In India) (2 Months)
Project worked during the internship was presented as a paper at a conference conducted in IIMA. // One of two undergraduate presenters out of 43 presentations

School Experience:

Social Impact / community service:

Part of Organizing team which guided 35+ projects comprising of more than 400 people with a budget of ₹45 Lakhs ( roughly around $60,000)
Part of the team which conducted a nationwide hackathon for an emergency response app which was launched by the Chief Minister of TamilNadu
Have a patent pending on an automatic mechanical solution for urinals disposal

Other points

Financial Inclinations:
I am also a Level-3 in NSE certified market professional by completing 7 finance related modules and received NSE certified Investment Analyst Pro by NSE Academy.
Am a Level 1 Candidate for CFA and am writing it in June of this year.

Technical/ Outside college organizational points:
I also have worked on a lot of technical projects and won a few college fest competitions.
My dad is a businessman and owns a small manufacturing plant for plastic bottles and I work with him during my off time.

Post MBA aspirations,
Currently Got placed in a Tier-2 Consulting firm. Was planning to go for Impact Investing.

Do you think there is anything key missing? What would help my application? I would really appreciate any insights or advice.

Hi - You certainly have a great track record so far. The deferred programs are very small, of course - but certainly may be worth pursuing for you. It can also sometimes show your commitment when you might apply again a few years later. I would suggest that you consider getting some international exposure (outside India or for a U.S. firm) while have a meaningful leadership role in your family business. Best -

Paul at ALTA.MBA

Expert Post
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
S

Show Tags

New post 15 Mar 2018, 06:25
Hey Crazycow1028

Wow -- now that's a great GMAT score! Nice to have that in the bag and not have to worry about it. You don't say exactly when you're planning on applying but I think getting yourself to the point where you have 3 years of work experience upon application makes a lot of sense. Also, if you can switch from mid-tier to top-tier, that will be a nice bonus to your candidacy. The competition at the mid-tier level is pretty fierce and it can be hard to stand out, even with a 780. Please keep up the extracurriculars because you have some great stuff.

You have the luxury of time so my other suggestion is that you use this time to get to know each program and put together a diverse portfolio of options for yourself. You want a good mix of reach, target, and safety options. Talk to current students and make campus visits and attend local info sessions where possible. Trust me, time will pass quickly!! And timing wise right now, you're in a great place because schools are going to start doing their info sessions very shortly. So you can do all the research this year and then apply in September 2019 if you're ready.

Hope that helps!
Krista

Blog: http://www.mbamission.com/blog
mbaMission Insiders Guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders
Free Consultation: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
S

Show Tags

New post 15 Mar 2018, 06:41
Hey munchkin123

Thanks for posting. Lots to think about here but the main think right now is...GMAT. For you to crack the top programs in the US as an Indian applicant, I'd really like to see 750+. Great that you got a 690 with all that chaos at the testing center so let's hope you can get even higher with no chaos and those 6 extra minutes!

IIT Madras will help you a bit and you're Biotech which is also a little different from your demographic. I also really like this Central Intelligence angle. I can't speak for India but for US applicants, if you have experience with the CIA in the US, that's looked upon favorably. Your challenge will be figuring out a way to talk about your work as you probably have limits to what you can say. (Address this in an optional essay please just so it's clear to Admissions.)

HBS will be tough at the 690 level but 750+ and IIT + intelligence officer + your strong extracurriculars/leadership could be an interesting combo. At the same time, I'd really like to see you broaden your portfolio of schools because the competition from India is so fierce. When you have an updated GMAT score, get back in touch and we can talk more. (I advise setting up a free consultation with us once you have that new score.) Hope that helps!

Krista

Blog: http://www.mbamission.com/blog
mbaMission Insiders Guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders
Free Consultation: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php

Intern
Intern
Schools: HBS '20, ISB '20
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V47

Show Tags

New post 15 Mar 2018, 07:07
Background and nationality: Indian business and finance graduate
Undergrad Information: 6.86/7 GPA
GMAT: 770
Work experience and leadership: I'm currently in KPMG as a Business Analyst under Management Consulting; Expect to finish 3 years here when I go for my MBA (I will be an Associate Consultant)
Community and others: Debating society president in college, have studied spanish till a C level, going to finish another language too
Post MBA goals: I'm not sure

I would like to do the MBA + MPP dual degree

How are my odds looking?
Intern
Intern
B
Profile [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Mar 2018, 05:55
Hey!
I want to do my MBA from Harvard but before that in oder to start my career i am planning to go for MSc Finance in Europe, So am i eligible for MBA at Harvard and will the MSc Programme enhace my profile or not?

Posted from my mobile device
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 610 Q47 V27
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V34
GPA: 4
Profile [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 18 Mar 2018, 05:07
snamehra wrote:
Hey!
I want to do my MBA from Harvard but before that in oder to start my career i am planning to go for MSc Finance in Europe, So am i eligible for MBA at Harvard and will the MSc Programme enhace my profile or not?

You'll still be eligible, however just having the MSc tag won't improve your chances imo. You need to be able to explain the value of why you took that MSc and it needs to show some sort of career progression too. Doing a Masters for the sake of it doesn't play well. Is there a career reason why you'd like to do the MSc?

Originally posted by stickman on 16 Mar 2018, 06:15.
Last edited by stickman on 18 Mar 2018, 05:07, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
B
Re: Profile [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Mar 2018, 06:22
Yes currently i am having a degree in commerce that isnt fetching me a finance job so i was thinking to do MSc finance so as to get a finance specific job as well as career.

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 16 Mar 2018, 06:25
Hello,

I would be keen to hear your evaluation of my profile below:
Age 28
Gender. Male
Nationality. Kenyan
GMAT. 725
Undergrad. Bachelors of Law from University of Nairobi. Top 5 university in Africa
GPA. 3.3
Prof. cert. CFA Level II
Experience:
-Currently a senior analyst at a private equity firm in Africa. Portfolio manager of two turn around businesses which I have been incharge of restructuring and turn around. Will be 2 years in by the time I join HBS. Will probably be promoted in August this year to an associate.
-Prior 4.5 years at a boutique investment bank where I worked on M&A, the largest IPO in Africa in 2017 and part of the team that created East Africa's first digital bank. Got promoted twice.
-Worked during my University years as a management consultant.

Extra-curricular:
- Co-founder and Director of an NGO that targets bottom of the pyramid schools and provides mentorship and minimal investments to enable students see beyond their circumstances. I manage the mentors sourcing.
-Chairman of the Legal Economic Club
- Former speaker of the Legal Students Society

Post MBA goal:
Start a manufacturing firm in East Africa

List of school:
HBS, GBS, Wharton, LBS, Sloan, Yale, Columbia, Insead, Booth, Northwestern and Cambridge University.

Thank you for the review.
Expert Post
Stratus Admissions Consultant
P
Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
Schools: Kellogg
GPA: 3.67
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 16 Mar 2018, 07:10
Weetabix wrote:
Hello,

I would be keen to hear your evaluation of my profile below:
Age 28
Gender. Male
Nationality. Kenyan
GMAT. 725
Undergrad. Bachelors of Law from University of Nairobi. Top 5 university in Africa
GPA. 3.3
Prof. cert. CFA Level II
Experience:
-Currently a senior analyst at a private equity firm in Africa. Portfolio manager of two turn around businesses which I have been incharge of restructuring and turn around. Will be 2 years in by the time I join HBS. Will probably be promoted in August this year to an associate. Great background.
-Prior 4.5 years at a boutique investment bank where I worked on M&A, the largest IPO in Africa in 2017 and part of the team that created East Africa's first digital bank. Got promoted twice.
-Worked during my University years as a management consultant. Excellent work here too-- great to have those 2 promotions.

Extra-curricular:
- Co-founder and Director of an NGO that targets bottom of the pyramid schools and provides mentorship and minimal investments to enable students see beyond their circumstances. I manage the mentors sourcing. I am seeing that "habit of leadership" that they look for....
-Chairman of the Legal Economic Club
- Former speaker of the Legal Students Society

Post MBA goal:
Start a manufacturing firm in East Africa

List of school:
HBS, GBS, Wharton, LBS, Sloan, Yale, Columbia, Insead, Booth, Northwestern and Cambridge University.
In terms of your profile for HBS-- while the odds are 10% or less in general-- I see your odds as better than that-- still not easy-- but you have the raw materials here to be considered. But don't overlook the importance of the application itself and of doing the research to really understand the WHY-- why HBS and why MBA. I see you as a very strong INSEAD and Cambridge applicant. I think Booth and Kellogg and Yale is strong but still will take the same work above I mention for HBS--
and then GSB is hard to say anyone has a shot given that their odds are so low-- but you may have a case there if you can write a compelling "what matters most" essay. And I see some things in here-- working to improve education in the worst areas--
as something that could give you some traction. I will mention that our firm Stratus does have counselors who have graduated from most of these programs-- and we could help you develop very strong applications as that is what we do every day for our clients. I encourage you to reach out at this link for a free consult to get an idea of how we can add value-- and also for you to get some further insight about how your profile will be viewed. Link is here: https://stratusadmissionscounseling.com ... b-visitor/

Thank you for the review.

Donna | StratusMBACounselor | Stratus Admissions Counseling

Expert Post
P
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 16 Mar 2018, 07:27
anandb wrote:
Background and nationality: Indian business and finance graduate
Undergrad Information: 6.86/7 GPA
GMAT: 770
Work experience and leadership: I'm currently in KPMG as a Business Analyst under Management Consulting; Expect to finish 3 years here when I go for my MBA (I will be an Associate Consultant)
Community and others: Debating society president in college, have studied spanish till a C level, going to finish another language too
Post MBA goals: I'm not sure
Hi @anandb, here are some quick thoughts on your profile for HBS... keeping in mind that no one has a slam dunk to HBS. The 770 GMAT is a great start-- but my sense from our clients at Stratus who have been successful at HBS is that it is more about your projection of leadership and presence-- and also having a compelling narrative. The 3 yrs at KPMG is not a headline event--- in and of itself. Meaning that this does not set you apart from the crowd-- and it is a crowd who is coming from India also looking for those few spots. I'd focus on why you want the MBA + MPP and how your work at KPMG has launched that line of thinking for you. When you think about your KPMG work-- try to capture on your projects how you have made an impact for your clients-- and also how you have grown in your leadership-- both there and in your life. Don't think the 770 alone is a fast pass to yes-- this is a marathon and not a sprint-- so I encourage you to start NOW-- doing the research on HBS-- set yourself apart by talking to lots of students-- understanding how you add value there-- and why this is the best fit for you. This is not easy work-- and it takes time-- the best applicants for R1 2018 are already getting started doing these things-- the good news is you can cross GMAT prep off your list-- and now you have time to work on your applications. We'd be glad to help you-- and the first step is a free consult to learn more-- so if that is of interest-- reach out to this link:https://stratusadmissionscounseling.com/admissions/business-school-admissions-consulting-gmat-club-visitor/ We have lots of HBS alums who could be a real asset to you as you move through the MBA application process. Regardless of whether or not you use a consultant-- please do spend time starting now on really understanding WHY HBS, WHY MBA + MPP and how do you see HBS helping you reach your goals. Bonus points for thinking about how YOU add value to the HBS community! Best wishes to you and get to work!
I would like to do the MBA + MPP dual degree

How are my odds looking?

Expert Post
P
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 16 Mar 2018, 07:41
munchkin123 wrote:
Hi,
Hi @munchkin123 -- happy to give you my thoughts on your profile for HBS
Indian, Male, Age - 26 (Sep 1991 Born)
Graduation - IIT Madras - B. Tech in Biotechnology (2009-2013)
Graduation CGPA - 7.55/10
12th - CBSE - 92.4% (2009)
10th - CBSE - 92.6% (2007)

Work Ex - 2013-2019 (By the time I join a B-school) - 05 years

• Assistant Central Intelligence Officer, Intelligence Bureau (IB), Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India.
o District Post In-charge, Border Intelligence Post, XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX.
o Have been issued the Annual Commendation Certificate - 2017, a Letter of Appreciation signed by the Joint Director (Bihar), and have received 04 cash rewards from the Indian Government for my work in these 02 years.
o Classified clandestine activities of secretive nature. (May 2016 – Continued)

• Co-Founder, IAS-Baba Educational Services for Civil Services Examinations (Start Up) (Jan 2015 – Mar 2016)
o Broke even within 3 months of launch; Achieved a turn-over of 1.5 million INR within 12 months of operation.
o Content Generation, Management of Offline Classes and Marketing Head.

• Studied for and attempted the Government of India’s Civil Services Examination, conducted by the Indian Union Public Service Commission. (Dec 2013 – Dec 2014)

POSITIONS OF RESPONSIBILITY
• Core, Events, BioFest 2012 – IIT Madras Biotechnology Department’s FIRST festival. (2012)
o Organized and structured the first edition of Biofest which attracted over 500 participants.
o Headed a team of 35 students to organize 12 Events for the first time.
o Conceptualized 5 new Biotech-based events which were not implemented before in any college fest.
o Impressed with the quality of the events, sponsors offered to support for an additional two years.

• Core Committee Member, Al Gore Sustainable Technology Venture Competition 2011, IIT Madras. (2011)
o Headed a team of five coordinators to conduct this international event at IIT Madras.
o Increased the sponsorship amount from 50,000 INR in the previous edition to 350,000 INR.
o Doubled the participation by implementing new publicity strategies, as a result had foreign participation for the first time from Dhaka University, Bangladesh.

• Coordinator, National Services Scheme – Environmentally Conscious Group, IIT Madras. (2011)
o Headed a team of 20 students and organized humanitarian activities throughout the year.
o Includes a beach clean-up & teaching in flood-affected schools for 5 days in rural parts of Andhra Pradesh.
• Counselor, Narmada Hostel Freshers, Guidance and Counseling Unit (GCU), IIT Madras. (2011, 12)
o Mentored 6 freshmen by conducting personal guidance sessions to ensure a smooth transition to college life.

HOBBIES, SKILLS AND INTERESTS
• Quora Top Writer – 2017. Followed by over 50,000 users and have over 08 million views on my content in the popular Q & A website, Quora.
• Motorcycle Riding – Rode over 1000km across the mountainous Himalayan roads, in my Royal Enfield Classic 350.
• Cycling – Chennai to Mahabalipuram – 100km in one day cycling. Chennai to Kovalam beach - 60km in one day.
• Secured All India Rank 225 in National Cyber Olympiad held by the Indian National Science Foundation.

GMAT Score - 690 Q48, V35 (Will be re-taking it. Some issue at the centre - https://gmatclub.com/forum/horrifying-g ... 61187.html)
Your profile is very interesting-- it is not the usual experience-- and so this could be a real strength. But that 690 makes HBS tougher-- they will take some here-- but it is a more crowded space-- but at the same time I can see that IF you put together a compelling application-- you could maybe break through-- although for sure if you can improve that GMAT between now and R1 2018 you have even better odds.
So, after graduation, while I studied for the Indian Government Civil Services Examination, I had to study history, geography, politics, international relations, science, economics and everything else under the sun. I had become a jack of all trades, trying to understand a bit of everything. And then when I started the company that teaches syllabus and provides test series for Civil Services Examination, I became better at analyzing any issue of any topic on any subject.

Then, when I joined the Government of India, I quickly rose to become a head of the entire post in a district. I had to handle the issues of the district with my staff. So, leadership skills were also imbibed, alongwith application of real-time solutions to real-time cases, of a variety of topics. (Had to work through devastating floods, helping people, in a rural setting, set up elementary schools for the poor etc, which all are well-documented in my online blog and Quora profile.)

But, as of now, I am stuck in middle management of the Government and raising through the ranks in a Government sector takes years, if not decades. I have potential to manage issues at a much larger scale, and I have received recognition and awards within a very short span of time. But, promotions are seniority based and the pay is uniform. So, I shall get promoted only after 5-6 years minimum and for almost negligible pay rise. So, I thought an MBA at this stage would be logical, where I have stagnated a bit career-wise, but where I still have potential to take more responsibility for a faster rise on the career ladder.
This story-- the I am stuck where I am-- so I want to roll the dice and head back to B school-- is NOT the strongest story-- rather than think this way-- when you present yourself to HBS or any program-- think more about what you are looking toward-- and how the MBA-- and specifically HBS MBA helps you get there.
Because I have had a history of understanding a lot of topics on a lot of subjects, and since I have applied solutions on a variety of cases as a District Head, I thought a career in Consulting would do me good. Where the entire job is to find the most optimal solutions for a variety of case studies. And the best way for a career switch from a Government job as a District Incharge (Which doesn't give much responsibility, cannot get faster promotions based on merit, nor can offer a raise in performance based pay), would be pursuing an MBA.

That way, I can switch careers to Consulting or General Management.

I am not interested in Finance, nor in Sales nor Marketing or such. I want to sit and solve real life issues, cases and provide out of the box solutions. So, yeah, Consulting or General Management.

I am focusing on schools in and around Boston / New York area. So, where do you think I would fit? Thanks! I am new to all this. I just know what I want to do. But, dont know how to proceed or where to apply.
For consulting there are lots of great MBA options-- for where you are now with GMAT-- you might want to look at some of the "other" Boston programs that actually are very good too-- just not as well known-- here is a profile on a recent Babson incoming class https://poetsandquants.com/2016/11/18/m ... lass-2018/ and another one is at Boston University: https://www.bu.edu/questrom/admissions/ ... -time-mba/ You absolutely can get the training you need at either place to move to consulting roles. Now of course-- you can also apply to HBS and Sloan-- but you might want to add these schools too to round out your options should HBS and Sloan not work out. For NY area-- obviously Stern and CBS come to mind but also look at some of the other programs nearby for safety also. Here is a program at Pace U that you might want to be award of also: https://www.usnews.com/best-graduate-sc ... ubin-01309

We at Stratus are happy to provide more options as you consider various schools-- if you want to do a free consult with us please reach out at this link:https://stratusadmissionscounseling.com/admissions/business-school-admissions-consulting-gmat-club-visitor/

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
G

Show Tags

New post 16 Mar 2018, 13:35
Hey anandb

Really nice start with the GMAT and GPA, that is elite level performance in both of those areas which should make academics a non issue for you, which is always a good position to be coming from your competitive demographic. You work experience should be MBA level so you will have the right names on your resume. So on paper you should be in play. You will need to make sure during your professional career that you are cultivating and mining opportunities for leadership and impact to help you stand out further. You need to be able to answer the question of "Why should HBS accept anandb and what will you bring to the student community?" They have tons of people looking to get in why are you different, you should be able to show AND tell your response to this. That will be the key with breaking through with HBS. Also you mentioned being interested in a MPP, but not having clear career goals, so make sure these to things are aligned.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Expert Post
G

Show Tags

New post 16 Mar 2018, 13:45
Hello Weetabix

I would say you have a very strong profile and tick off some nice diversity boxes to complement your strong profile. If you are able to capture some of the more unique elements of your story and fit with the school's programming and your development needs the better your chances. I also took a look at your school list, and I'm sure you are in the exploratory phase now but you should really try and do a deep dive into each school and assess (rankings aside) what school will make the most sense for you. I think Booth and Kellogg may really stand out given their curriculum and also location in the heartland of manufacturing in the U.S. So I'm sure HBS is your priority but you may want to spend an equal amount of time investigating those other programs as well. All of these are tough schools so even the most talented and qualified sometimes get dinged but you do have the type of profiles these schools really love

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 17 Mar 2018, 02:17
Background and nationality: Age 28 (Graduated at 26, started Uni at 21) from the Nordics (Europe).

Undergrad Information: Small engineering school, top 200 worldwide, top 50 under 50. Mostly unheard of internationally unless you're in nische industries (like robotics).
Dual B.Sc (Mechanical engineering and Economics), M.Sc. in Industrial Engineering. Both at same school, combined GPA ~3.6/5.0

GMAT: 710
Work experience and leadership:

Previous:
Worked at Hedge Fund while at uni (60-80hrs/mo for 2 years during semesters, full time 3 summers), as an analyst but also rebuilt their models from the ground up to increase efficiency (decreased man hours per day allocated to manual inputs/slow models by several hours/day).

Current:
Founder + CEO medtech company focused on detecting and aiding cognitive impairments (ahlzeimers etc). Decent revenue (>$5mm), has published research in collaboration with my former university.
Founder of non-profit foundation for kids, 3D printing functional artificial limbs. In collaboration with several national Unis.
Co-host of popular business podcast with approx 15k/listeners per episode (weekly). Have been invited to hold lectures for companies among others.

Community and others
Have lectured in business + entrepreneurship for college + high school students. See above.
Active in a few extra curriculars during UNI (started an investment fund, part of a startup accelerator with funding from the EU etc), a lot of leadership experience.

Post MBA goals
VC dedicated to social tech startups, startups aiming for increased benefit of mankind.

Anything else?
My M.Sc. thesis was published in a decent journal (thanks to my professor).
Received a couple of recognition awards in my home country (similar to forbes 30 under 30).

Not thinking of applying soon, maybe in 3-5 years (so will be 30+, will this be a disadvantage?).
Realize I have crappy grades but not much to do about that right now, hope my work experience can outweigh it. Bad GPA from work/extra curriculars/startup during uni rather than slacking off.

Applying to: Harvard, Stanford, MIT etc.
Expert Post
Experts' Global Representative
G
Re: Profile [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Mar 2018, 19:42
snamehra wrote:
Yes currently i am having a degree in commerce that isnt fetching me a finance job so i was thinking to do MSc finance so as to get a finance specific job as well as career.

Hi snamehra,

Yes, you will be eligible to apply to Harvard. However, your essays will need to portray how much of a value add the MSc was and your need for an MBA still, among other very important factors such as your professional achievements.

All the best!

Akanksha Baldawa
Experts' Global
Students from 20+ nationalities
Every 10th Indian in US top 50 is our student!
$ 2Mn+ Scholarship Each Year Since 2010!
GMAT Preparation Online | 15 GMAT Practice Tests
MBA Admissions Consulting | MBA Interview Preparation

Re: Profile   [#permalink] 17 Mar 2018, 19:42

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11    Next  [ 215 posts ] 

My Chances at Harvard - Post All Profile Evaluation Requests Here!

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: ydmuley

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap