Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 10:23 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 10:23

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
Given Kudos: 20
GMAT 1: 610 Q47 V27
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V34
GPA: 4
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Stratus Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 217 [0]
Given Kudos: 88
Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
Schools: Kellogg
GPA: 3.67
Send PM
Re: Harvard Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Weetabix wrote:
Hello,

I would be keen to hear your evaluation of my profile below:
Age 28
Gender. Male
Nationality. Kenyan
GMAT. 725
Undergrad. Bachelors of Law from University of Nairobi. Top 5 university in Africa
GPA. 3.3
Prof. cert. CFA Level II
Experience:
-Currently a senior analyst at a private equity firm in Africa. Portfolio manager of two turn around businesses which I have been incharge of restructuring and turn around. Will be 2 years in by the time I join HBS. Will probably be promoted in August this year to an associate. Great background.
-Prior 4.5 years at a boutique investment bank where I worked on M&A, the largest IPO in Africa in 2017 and part of the team that created East Africa's first digital bank. Got promoted twice.
-Worked during my University years as a management consultant. Excellent work here too-- great to have those 2 promotions.

Extra-curricular:
- Co-founder and Director of an NGO that targets bottom of the pyramid schools and provides mentorship and minimal investments to enable students see beyond their circumstances. I manage the mentors sourcing. I am seeing that "habit of leadership" that they look for....
-Chairman of the Legal Economic Club
- Former speaker of the Legal Students Society

Post MBA goal:
Start a manufacturing firm in East Africa

List of school:
HBS, GBS, Wharton, LBS, Sloan, Yale, Columbia, Insead, Booth, Northwestern and Cambridge University.
In terms of your profile for HBS-- while the odds are 10% or less in general-- I see your odds as better than that-- still not easy-- but you have the raw materials here to be considered. But don't overlook the importance of the application itself and of doing the research to really understand the WHY-- why HBS and why MBA. I see you as a very strong INSEAD and Cambridge applicant. I think Booth and Kellogg and Yale is strong but still will take the same work above I mention for HBS--
and then GSB is hard to say anyone has a shot given that their odds are so low-- but you may have a case there if you can write a compelling "what matters most" essay. And I see some things in here-- working to improve education in the worst areas--
as something that could give you some traction. I will mention that our firm Stratus does have counselors who have graduated from most of these programs-- and we could help you develop very strong applications as that is what we do every day for our clients. I encourage you to reach out at this link for a free consult to get an idea of how we can add value-- and also for you to get some further insight about how your profile will be viewed. Link is here: https://stratusadmissionscounseling.com ... b-visitor/

Thank you for the review.
Send PM
Re: Harvard Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Expert Reply
anandb wrote:
Background and nationality: Indian business and finance graduate
Undergrad Information: 6.86/7 GPA
GMAT: 770
Work experience and leadership: I'm currently in KPMG as a Business Analyst under Management Consulting; Expect to finish 3 years here when I go for my MBA (I will be an Associate Consultant)
Community and others: Debating society president in college, have studied spanish till a C level, going to finish another language too
Post MBA goals: I'm not sure
Hi @anandb, here are some quick thoughts on your profile for HBS... keeping in mind that no one has a slam dunk to HBS. The 770 GMAT is a great start-- but my sense from our clients at Stratus who have been successful at HBS is that it is more about your projection of leadership and presence-- and also having a compelling narrative. The 3 yrs at KPMG is not a headline event--- in and of itself. Meaning that this does not set you apart from the crowd-- and it is a crowd who is coming from India also looking for those few spots. I'd focus on why you want the MBA + MPP and how your work at KPMG has launched that line of thinking for you. When you think about your KPMG work-- try to capture on your projects how you have made an impact for your clients-- and also how you have grown in your leadership-- both there and in your life. Don't think the 770 alone is a fast pass to yes-- this is a marathon and not a sprint-- so I encourage you to start NOW-- doing the research on HBS-- set yourself apart by talking to lots of students-- understanding how you add value there-- and why this is the best fit for you. This is not easy work-- and it takes time-- the best applicants for R1 2018 are already getting started doing these things-- the good news is you can cross GMAT prep off your list-- and now you have time to work on your applications. We'd be glad to help you-- and the first step is a free consult to learn more-- so if that is of interest-- reach out to this link:https://stratusadmissionscounseling.com/admissions/business-school-admissions-consulting-gmat-club-visitor/ We have lots of HBS alums who could be a real asset to you as you move through the MBA application process. Regardless of whether or not you use a consultant-- please do spend time starting now on really understanding WHY HBS, WHY MBA + MPP and how do you see HBS helping you reach your goals. Bonus points for thinking about how YOU add value to the HBS community! Best wishes to you and get to work!
I would like to do the MBA + MPP dual degree

How are my odds looking?
Send PM
Expert Reply
munchkin123 wrote:
Hi,
Hi @munchkin123 -- happy to give you my thoughts on your profile for HBS
Indian, Male, Age - 26 (Sep 1991 Born)
Graduation - IIT Madras - B. Tech in Biotechnology (2009-2013)
Graduation CGPA - 7.55/10
12th - CBSE - 92.4% (2009)
10th - CBSE - 92.6% (2007)

Work Ex - 2013-2019 (By the time I join a B-school) - 05 years

• Assistant Central Intelligence Officer, Intelligence Bureau (IB), Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India.
o District Post In-charge, Border Intelligence Post, XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX.
o Have been issued the Annual Commendation Certificate - 2017, a Letter of Appreciation signed by the Joint Director (Bihar), and have received 04 cash rewards from the Indian Government for my work in these 02 years.
o Classified clandestine activities of secretive nature. (May 2016 – Continued)

• Co-Founder, IAS-Baba Educational Services for Civil Services Examinations (Start Up) (Jan 2015 – Mar 2016)
o Broke even within 3 months of launch; Achieved a turn-over of 1.5 million INR within 12 months of operation.
o Content Generation, Management of Offline Classes and Marketing Head.

• Studied for and attempted the Government of India’s Civil Services Examination, conducted by the Indian Union Public Service Commission. (Dec 2013 – Dec 2014)

POSITIONS OF RESPONSIBILITY
• Core, Events, BioFest 2012 – IIT Madras Biotechnology Department’s FIRST festival. (2012)
o Organized and structured the first edition of Biofest which attracted over 500 participants.
o Headed a team of 35 students to organize 12 Events for the first time.
o Conceptualized 5 new Biotech-based events which were not implemented before in any college fest.
o Impressed with the quality of the events, sponsors offered to support for an additional two years.

• Core Committee Member, Al Gore Sustainable Technology Venture Competition 2011, IIT Madras. (2011)
o Headed a team of five coordinators to conduct this international event at IIT Madras.
o Increased the sponsorship amount from 50,000 INR in the previous edition to 350,000 INR.
o Doubled the participation by implementing new publicity strategies, as a result had foreign participation for the first time from Dhaka University, Bangladesh.

• Coordinator, National Services Scheme – Environmentally Conscious Group, IIT Madras. (2011)
o Headed a team of 20 students and organized humanitarian activities throughout the year.
o Includes a beach clean-up & teaching in flood-affected schools for 5 days in rural parts of Andhra Pradesh.
• Counselor, Narmada Hostel Freshers, Guidance and Counseling Unit (GCU), IIT Madras. (2011, 12)
o Mentored 6 freshmen by conducting personal guidance sessions to ensure a smooth transition to college life.

HOBBIES, SKILLS AND INTERESTS
• Quora Top Writer – 2017. Followed by over 50,000 users and have over 08 million views on my content in the popular Q & A website, Quora.
• Motorcycle Riding – Rode over 1000km across the mountainous Himalayan roads, in my Royal Enfield Classic 350.
• Cycling – Chennai to Mahabalipuram – 100km in one day cycling. Chennai to Kovalam beach - 60km in one day.
• Secured All India Rank 225 in National Cyber Olympiad held by the Indian National Science Foundation.

GMAT Score - 690 Q48, V35 (Will be re-taking it. Some issue at the centre - https://gmatclub.com/forum/horrifying-g ... 61187.html)
Your profile is very interesting-- it is not the usual experience-- and so this could be a real strength. But that 690 makes HBS tougher-- they will take some here-- but it is a more crowded space-- but at the same time I can see that IF you put together a compelling application-- you could maybe break through-- although for sure if you can improve that GMAT between now and R1 2018 you have even better odds.
So, after graduation, while I studied for the Indian Government Civil Services Examination, I had to study history, geography, politics, international relations, science, economics and everything else under the sun. I had become a jack of all trades, trying to understand a bit of everything. And then when I started the company that teaches syllabus and provides test series for Civil Services Examination, I became better at analyzing any issue of any topic on any subject.

Then, when I joined the Government of India, I quickly rose to become a head of the entire post in a district. I had to handle the issues of the district with my staff. So, leadership skills were also imbibed, alongwith application of real-time solutions to real-time cases, of a variety of topics. (Had to work through devastating floods, helping people, in a rural setting, set up elementary schools for the poor etc, which all are well-documented in my online blog and Quora profile.)

But, as of now, I am stuck in middle management of the Government and raising through the ranks in a Government sector takes years, if not decades. I have potential to manage issues at a much larger scale, and I have received recognition and awards within a very short span of time. But, promotions are seniority based and the pay is uniform. So, I shall get promoted only after 5-6 years minimum and for almost negligible pay rise. So, I thought an MBA at this stage would be logical, where I have stagnated a bit career-wise, but where I still have potential to take more responsibility for a faster rise on the career ladder.
This story-- the I am stuck where I am-- so I want to roll the dice and head back to B school-- is NOT the strongest story-- rather than think this way-- when you present yourself to HBS or any program-- think more about what you are looking toward-- and how the MBA-- and specifically HBS MBA helps you get there.
Because I have had a history of understanding a lot of topics on a lot of subjects, and since I have applied solutions on a variety of cases as a District Head, I thought a career in Consulting would do me good. Where the entire job is to find the most optimal solutions for a variety of case studies. And the best way for a career switch from a Government job as a District Incharge (Which doesn't give much responsibility, cannot get faster promotions based on merit, nor can offer a raise in performance based pay), would be pursuing an MBA.

That way, I can switch careers to Consulting or General Management.

I am not interested in Finance, nor in Sales nor Marketing or such. I want to sit and solve real life issues, cases and provide out of the box solutions. So, yeah, Consulting or General Management.

I am focusing on schools in and around Boston / New York area. So, where do you think I would fit? Thanks! I am new to all this. I just know what I want to do. But, dont know how to proceed or where to apply.
For consulting there are lots of great MBA options-- for where you are now with GMAT-- you might want to look at some of the "other" Boston programs that actually are very good too-- just not as well known-- here is a profile on a recent Babson incoming class https://poetsandquants.com/2016/11/18/m ... lass-2018/ and another one is at Boston University: https://www.bu.edu/questrom/admissions/ ... -time-mba/ You absolutely can get the training you need at either place to move to consulting roles. Now of course-- you can also apply to HBS and Sloan-- but you might want to add these schools too to round out your options should HBS and Sloan not work out. For NY area-- obviously Stern and CBS come to mind but also look at some of the other programs nearby for safety also. Here is a program at Pace U that you might want to be award of also: https://www.usnews.com/best-graduate-sc ... ubin-01309

We at Stratus are happy to provide more options as you consider various schools-- if you want to do a free consult with us please reach out at this link:https://stratusadmissionscounseling.com/admissions/business-school-admissions-consulting-gmat-club-visitor/
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 340 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hey anandb

Really nice start with the GMAT and GPA, that is elite level performance in both of those areas which should make academics a non issue for you, which is always a good position to be coming from your competitive demographic. You work experience should be MBA level so you will have the right names on your resume. So on paper you should be in play. You will need to make sure during your professional career that you are cultivating and mining opportunities for leadership and impact to help you stand out further. You need to be able to answer the question of "Why should HBS accept anandb and what will you bring to the student community?" They have tons of people looking to get in why are you different, you should be able to show AND tell your response to this. That will be the key with breaking through with HBS. Also you mentioned being interested in a MPP, but not having clear career goals, so make sure these to things are aligned.
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 340 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hello Weetabix

I would say you have a very strong profile and tick off some nice diversity boxes to complement your strong profile. If you are able to capture some of the more unique elements of your story and fit with the school's programming and your development needs the better your chances. I also took a look at your school list, and I'm sure you are in the exploratory phase now but you should really try and do a deep dive into each school and assess (rankings aside) what school will make the most sense for you. I think Booth and Kellogg may really stand out given their curriculum and also location in the heartland of manufacturing in the U.S. So I'm sure HBS is your priority but you may want to spend an equal amount of time investigating those other programs as well. All of these are tough schools so even the most talented and qualified sometimes get dinged but you do have the type of profiles these schools really love
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Send PM
Background and nationality: Age 28 (Graduated at 26, started Uni at 21) from the Nordics (Europe).

Undergrad Information: Small engineering school, top 200 worldwide, top 50 under 50. Mostly unheard of internationally unless you're in nische industries (like robotics).
Dual B.Sc (Mechanical engineering and Economics), M.Sc. in Industrial Engineering. Both at same school, combined GPA ~3.6/5.0

GMAT: 710
Work experience and leadership:

Previous:
Worked at Hedge Fund while at uni (60-80hrs/mo for 2 years during semesters, full time 3 summers), as an analyst but also rebuilt their models from the ground up to increase efficiency (decreased man hours per day allocated to manual inputs/slow models by several hours/day).

Current:
Founder + CEO medtech company focused on detecting and aiding cognitive impairments (ahlzeimers etc). Decent revenue (>$5mm), has published research in collaboration with my former university.
Founder of non-profit foundation for kids, 3D printing functional artificial limbs. In collaboration with several national Unis.
Co-host of popular business podcast with approx 15k/listeners per episode (weekly). Have been invited to hold lectures for companies among others.

Community and others
Have lectured in business + entrepreneurship for college + high school students. See above.
Active in a few extra curriculars during UNI (started an investment fund, part of a startup accelerator with funding from the EU etc), a lot of leadership experience.

Post MBA goals
VC dedicated to social tech startups, startups aiming for increased benefit of mankind.

Anything else?
My M.Sc. thesis was published in a decent journal (thanks to my professor).
Received a couple of recognition awards in my home country (similar to forbes 30 under 30).

Not thinking of applying soon, maybe in 3-5 years (so will be 30+, will this be a disadvantage?).
Realize I have crappy grades but not much to do about that right now, hope my work experience can outweigh it. Bad GPA from work/extra curriculars/startup during uni rather than slacking off.

Applying to: Harvard, Stanford, MIT etc.
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 70 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Expert Reply
snamehra wrote:
Yes currently i am having a degree in commerce that isnt fetching me a finance job so i was thinking to do MSc finance so as to get a finance specific job as well as career.

Posted from my mobile device

Hi snamehra,

Yes, you will be eligible to apply to Harvard. However, your essays will need to portray how much of a value add the MSc was and your need for an MBA still, among other very important factors such as your professional achievements.

All the best!
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: ALTA.MBA
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Send PM
snamehra wrote:
Yes currently i am having a degree in commerce that isnt fetching me a finance job so i was thinking to do MSc finance so as to get a finance specific job as well as career.

Posted from my mobile device

Hi Snamehra - In considering your career objective (and the MSc plans), you might want to consider that spots for finance people at HBS is more limited than potentially for other fields and endeavors. We have certainly had MSc grads get admitted to HBS, but (beyond how it plays in your career) you need to show how it indicates your potential to make a real difference in the world in the future. Best -
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Weetabix wrote:
Hello,

I would be keen to hear your evaluation of my profile below:
Age 28
Gender. Male
Nationality. Kenyan
GMAT. 725
Undergrad. Bachelors of Law from University of Nairobi. Top 5 university in Africa
GPA. 3.3
Prof. cert. CFA Level II
Experience:
-Currently a senior analyst at a private equity firm in Africa. Portfolio manager of two turn around businesses which I have been incharge of restructuring and turn around. Will be 2 years in by the time I join HBS. Will probably be promoted in August this year to an associate.
-Prior 4.5 years at a boutique investment bank where I worked on M&A, the largest IPO in Africa in 2017 and part of the team that created East Africa's first digital bank. Got promoted twice.
-Worked during my University years as a management consultant.

Extra-curricular:
- Co-founder and Director of an NGO that targets bottom of the pyramid schools and provides mentorship and minimal investments to enable students see beyond their circumstances. I manage the mentors sourcing.
-Chairman of the Legal Economic Club
- Former speaker of the Legal Students Society

Post MBA goal:
Start a manufacturing firm in East Africa

List of school:
HBS, GBS, Wharton, LBS, Sloan, Yale, Columbia, Insead, Booth, Northwestern and Cambridge University.

Thank you for the review.

Hi - Seems you have strong academics, score and demographics. Your profession is a positive (as not in the U.S.). It would help if some of your prior work experience was with an international or globally recognized firm. You are getting on the older side, so would like want to apply soon. Best of luck!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.95
Send PM
Hey guys, so I am thinking of applying to HBS 2+2 and Stanford MBA deferred admission. Would like to know what you think of my chances of getting to the interview stage/ getting an offer

I am from Montreal, Canada (23 year old white male)
Undergrad: Non-target US university (Economics & Finance)
GPA: 3.96/4.0 (top 1%)
Masters: Masters in Management at London Business School (LBS)
GMAT: 710 (49Q, 38V, 8IR, 5.0 AWA)
Work Experience: Investment banking analyst (M&A, ECM, DCM) in a top Canadian Bank (will start in July 2018)
Leadership: Captain of my NCAA tennis team in Florida, MVP for 2 years
EC: Professional tennis player for 7 years, ranked 668 in the world (played in over 40 different countries), represented Canada in the Junior Olympics in Singapore
Sponsorship from Adidas and Babolat
Post-MBA Goal: Venture Capital or Private Equity in a top US fund

In my essay, I plan to leverage my tennis experience and discuss everything I have learned from it (leadership, dedication, performing under pressure, time management, problem solving, interpersonal skills).

Any tips would be greatly appreciated, you can PM me :)

Thanks in advance!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hey guys, so I am thinking of applying to HBS 2+2 and Stanford MBA deferred admission. Would like to know what you think of my chances of getting to the interview stage/ getting an offer

Work Experience: Investment banking analyst (M&A, ECM, DCM) in a top Canadian Bank (will start in July 2018)
EC: Professional tennis player for 7 years, ranked 668 in the world (played in over 40 different countries), represented Canada in the Junior Olympics in Singapore

In my essay, I plan to leverage my tennis experience and discuss everything I have learned from it (leadership, dedication, performing under pressure, time management, problem solving, interpersonal skills).

Thanks in advance!
Intern
Intern
Send PM

Thanks in advance!
Send PM
Expert Reply
laurent777 wrote:

You have some "wow" factor-- at least to me as I am a big tennis fan-- so I appreciate how talented you have to be to compete at that highest level of tennis. You may be able to bring in some of those traits from tennis-- resilience, grit, making adjustments mid-match to new information gained from match-- etc and how those skills will help you excel in business too. While tennis alone won't get you in-- and that 710 is not as high as it could be-- it is possible that you can present well--
also by explaining how travelling the world for tennis gave you insight into other cultures and people-- and again how those skills will translate into how you evaluate investment opportunities in factoring in what you know from the nuances of different cultures and countries. So I think you should go for it-- put together a solid application-- and while they don't expect you to have it all figured out yet-- make sure you do enough HBS and GSB research to know some specific reasons why these schools appeal to you. And another hot tip... as long as you are applying for these programs-- throw UVA in the mix. It is an excellent program too and the dean of the B School at UVA was apparently good friends with the former UVA legendary coach Brian Boland-- so I think UVA's adcom has a soft spot for high level tennis players and you may get some extra props there. One of the best things about these programs is the mentoring you get from being in the program in advance-- as there is programming that happens even for the 2-3 yrs before you step on campus-- and UVA has some excellent finance career pathways that you can get to where you want to go through them also. So keep that in mind as another option.

Stratus has excellent resources to help so if you do want more in depth advice-- please reach out at this link: https://stratusadmissionscounseling.com ... b-visitor/

In my essay, I plan to leverage my tennis experience and discuss everything I have learned from it (leadership, dedication, performing under pressure, time management, problem solving, interpersonal skills). I think that's great-- and also don't forget the international exposure -- global insights-- you got from all the travel. Best wishes to you-- I have a soft spot for tennis players!

Thanks in advance!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
laurent777 wrote:

Thanks in advance!

Hi - Yes the tennis is great for showing your competitive spirit and the diversity of people you have engaged - but primarily because of your ability to make incremental (though not always smooth trajectory of course) improvements to excellence. But that is only one piece of the equation - you need to convince them of your academic capabilities and overall likelihood that you will excel in your career plans (such as you know them). Best -
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [1]
Given Kudos: 13
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
Kudos
Curious what the pros think.

25 Y/o Persian American (will apply just before my 26th birthday)
Goal Schools: HBS / GBS / MIT / Wharton / UCLA
Post MBA Goal: Work to relieve poverty in underserved regions by transitioning into a blockchain startup that emphasizes building financial blockchain platforms that directly connect into remote regions of the world. Inspired by the promise of distributed networks allowing scale and services into markets that traditional infrastructure could not feasibly support.

GMAT -730 (Q49, V40)

May 2013- Dec 2015 (Full courses every semester including all summers)
Bachelors of Science in Security and Risk Analysis, option in Information and Cyber security from Penn State World Campus.
Penn State GPA: 3.70 ,
5x Recipient of Dean's List.
Certificate of Achievement from National Security Agency recognizing graduates of programs meeting NSA/DHS standard for cyber security professionals.

Fall 2010- Early 2013
Studied Computer Science at Cal Poly Pomona. GPA ~3.4
Expelled from all Cal State Universities during the first quarter of 2013 due to behavior incidents (minor drug offenses - no criminal charges or academic dishonesty) .

Elephant in the room...
2013 was a turning point in my life. I was forced to accept that my poor decisions had permanently damaged by life goals and I came close to giving up on education. After a lot of painful self reflection, I realized I had to go back to school and not be defined by mistakes but learn from them. I opted for online because I had to get back into school as fast as possible (UC deadlines were very far out) and work outside of school to support myself. My family couldn't help me heavily at this time so I privately tutored SAT/ACT Math and Calculus along with performed Computer Repair as my job while in school full time. I worked hard to move past this event.

Work History
Jun 2012 - Aug 2012: Robotics Research Apprentice at Cal Poly Pomona. Presented at Summer Synopsis my work with Robotics Operating System to control an Roomba Create
Aug 2012 - Dec 2014: Private Tutor for essentially all subjects grades 7-12 Math Pre-Algebra to Calculus 1, SAT/ACT prep, physics, and English.
Jan 2015 - June 2015: Solution Engineering Intern (hired full time in June) - I was one of 9 interns nationwide with over 1000 applicants total
July 2015 - Sept 2017: Solutions Engineer 1 (Support Team)
Sept 2017 - Present: Solutions Engineer 2 (Field Team - Security Specialist, Blockchain Specialty building)

Accomplishments/Other:
Next Leader Program 2017-2018 - Selected as a protege for a highly regarded internal leadership development program that is offered to less than 1% of employees each year.
Cloud Security Expert - Only junior engineer to join a subject matter expert team support a new product launch.
Cisco Cybersecurity Scholarship recipient - full courses and exams given by cisco for the CCNA Cyber Ops.
Penn State Alumni Ambassador - Jan 18-present

Certifications:
Cisco Certified Network Associate in Routing and Switching (CCNA R/S)
Cisco Certified Network Associate in Cyber Operations (CCNA Cyber Ops) **Security-based cert
Fortinet Network Security Expert level 3 (NSE 3)
Zscaler Certified Sales Engineer (ZCSE)

The rundown is, I'm currently a solutions engineer in a fortune 100 telecommunications company. I started as an intern where I worked 40 hours a week for 6 months while simultaneously going to school full time. After the 6 month internship, I was promoted and brought on full time but still was in school for 6 additional months until I graduated. During that time, I've obtained industry-relevant certifications, and was rewarded by being the only member of my team invited to attend a conference in Las Vegas alongside senior engineers. I've built strong relationships with team members and management, and am viewed as a consultant in security products. I've recently began working with our technology strategy team to build blockchain proof of concepts for potential customers. This is a side project to my day to day job of sales engineering. I'll be able to score glowing recommendations by former manager (until sep 17) and my engineering director.

I posted this before last year, but lots has changed since then for the better :)
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hey fearfulpersistance

Thanks for posting and being so candid about your history. Your GMAT and GPA are in a good place which is a big part of this battle so great news there. There are two larger question marks for me:
1. I have not seen someone with an online degree apply to a M7 b-school. So this is unknown territory for me. It's not to say it hasn't been done before, but schools do consider the quality of undergrad institution and I'm not sure how this will play. Definitely take advantage of the optional essay to explain your history here.
2. The expulsion. This will be tough too. Competition at top b-schools is so tough...you're in optional essay territory here again. Be honest, show growth and maturity. To me this is a challenge because expulsion is usually a last resort for schools -- like a three strikes you're out thing -- and b-schools will be cognizant of that.

I have other qs about your goals and if there are any firms out there doing what you want to do. (B-schools are somewhat in the business of getting you a job. The entrepreneurial angle can be more challenging.) Worth a follow up conversation. (Consider setting up a free consult with us to talk more.)

I think the thing to consider is how risk-averse are you? If this is the year that you must get into b-school and failure is not an option, I recommend hitting all the schools you have listed, but also adding some safeties where your stats might help them overlook the expulsion and online degree. Think UNC and Johnson for example. I *think* you can stay within the Top 20 but it will help your results if you just add a few programs where your stats will be above the average.

I hope that helps!
Krista
Own Kudos [?]: 217 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
fearfulpersistance wrote:
Curious what the pros think.

25 Y/o Persian American (will apply just before my 26th birthday)
Goal Schools: HBS / GBS / MIT / Wharton / UCLA
Post MBA Goal: Work to relieve poverty in underserved regions by transitioning into a blockchain startup that emphasizes building financial blockchain platforms that directly connect into remote regions of the world. Inspired by the promise of distributed networks allowing scale and services into markets that traditional infrastructure could not feasibly support.
A really interesting and timely goal....
GMAT -730 (Q49, V40)
Solid
May 2013- Dec 2015 (Full courses every semester including all summers)
Bachelors of Science in Security and Risk Analysis, option in Information and Cyber security from Penn State World Campus.
Penn State GPA: 3.70 ,
5x Recipient of Dean's List.
Certificate of Achievement from National Security Agency recognizing graduates of programs meeting NSA/DHS standard for cyber security professionals.

Fall 2010- Early 2013
Studied Computer Science at Cal Poly Pomona. GPA ~3.4
Expelled from all Cal State Universities during the first quarter of 2013 due to behavior incidents (minor drug offenses - no criminal charges or academic dishonesty) .Be careful in calling anything with drugs... minor.... that won't fly with adcom.... make sure you show you are sorry--- and that you learned your lesson.... otherwise this "minor" drug thing will have legs and keep coming back....

Elephant in the room...
2013 was a turning point in my life. I was forced to accept that my poor decisions had permanently damaged by life goals and I came close to giving up on education. After a lot of painful self reflection, I realized I had to go back to school and not be defined by mistakes but learn from them. I opted for online because I had to get back into school as fast as possible (UC deadlines were very far out) and work outside of school to support myself. My family couldn't help me heavily at this time so I privately tutored SAT/ACT Math and Calculus along with performed Computer Repair as my job while in school full time. I worked hard to move past this event.
This can be your resilience story.... so show that you have learned-- schools are looking for people who have grown from the past--- so own your role in this-- and then focus on what you want to do with the MBA.
Work History
Jun 2012 - Aug 2012: Robotics Research Apprentice at Cal Poly Pomona. Presented at Summer Synopsis my work with Robotics Operating System to control an Roomba Create
Aug 2012 - Dec 2014: Private Tutor for essentially all subjects grades 7-12 Math Pre-Algebra to Calculus 1, SAT/ACT prep, physics, and English.
Jan 2015 - June 2015: Solution Engineering Intern (hired full time in June) - I was one of 9 interns nationwide with over 1000 applicants total
July 2015 - Sept 2017: Solutions Engineer 1 (Support Team)
Sept 2017 - Present: Solutions Engineer 2 (Field Team - Security Specialist, Blockchain Specialty building)

Accomplishments/Other:
Next Leader Program 2017-2018 - Selected as a protege for a highly regarded internal leadership development program that is offered to less than 1% of employees each year.
Cloud Security Expert - Only junior engineer to join a subject matter expert team support a new product launch.
Cisco Cybersecurity Scholarship recipient - full courses and exams given by cisco for the CCNA Cyber Ops.
Penn State Alumni Ambassador - Jan 18-present

Certifications:
Cisco Certified Network Associate in Routing and Switching (CCNA R/S)
Cisco Certified Network Associate in Cyber Operations (CCNA Cyber Ops) **Security-based cert
Fortinet Network Security Expert level 3 (NSE 3)
Zscaler Certified Sales Engineer (ZCSE)

The rundown is, I'm currently a solutions engineer in a fortune 100 telecommunications company. I started as an intern where I worked 40 hours a week for 6 months while simultaneously going to school full time. After the 6 month internship, I was promoted and brought on full time but still was in school for 6 additional months until I graduated. During that time, I've obtained industry-relevant certifications, and was rewarded by being the only member of my team invited to attend a conference in Las Vegas alongside senior engineers. I've built strong relationships with team members and management, and am viewed as a consultant in security products. I've recently began working with our technology strategy team to build blockchain proof of concepts for potential customers. This is a side project to my day to day job of sales engineering. I'll be able to score glowing recommendations by former manager (until sep 17) and my engineering director.
I think you do have a shot at many schools-- don't limit yourself to just H/S/W as you may want to add some safety-- not saying don't apply-- but just broaden as you may find a program that loves your GMAT and is willing to take the hit on your past-- so look at the full top 35 programs for best fit. Part of that is location- part is focus of program-- so do your research. Now is a great time to start working with a consultant-- as you have time to investigate options and so when you do apply-- you will present as very sincere and knowledgeable about programs. You need to know your why MBA, why Now, why this school. Sounds simple-- but many don't really do this. If you do want us to help-- reach out at this link: https://stratusadmissionscounseling.com ... b-visitor/
Don't let your past define you-- it sounds like you have really done some great things since then so be proud of that and keep moving forward.

I posted this before last year, but lots has changed since then for the better :)
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  53   
Moderators:
HBS and Wharton Moderator
55 posts
HBS & Haas Moderator
151 posts