GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Nov 2019, 19:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

My Chances at Harvard - Post All Profile Evaluation Requests Here!

new topic post reply Update application status  
MBA Admissions Consultant
P
Re: My Chances at Harvard - Post All Profile Evaluation Requests Here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Oct 2019, 22:33
yashbhati wrote:
I am an Indian male.

Background: Civil Engineering
Undergrad Information: 8.9/10 CGPA, Department Topper for Civil Engineering, Continuous 100% scholarship for all 4 years based on previous years performance.
The college is ranked 37 according to the government of India but it is one of the Top 5 private colleges in India. I chose it because of the scholarship and distance from my home.
GMAT: 710 (Q49 V38 AWA5 IR8) first attempt(was sick that day) and 770 (Q50 V45 AWA5 IR8) on the second attempt
WE: no full-time work experience as I am applying for the deferred programme
Leadership: Have been actively involved in numeorus activities on campus. Most notably I have worked for three years organising the annual Model United Nations Conference where I worked my way up to the position of Director-General with over 100 people working under me. I am also the president of the Entrepreneurship Club of the University and have organised multiple one of a kind events and interactions on campus. Also involved in the Student Chapters of multiple organizations in various capacities. I am one of two the elected class representatives for my batch.

Outside of campus, I have also been involved in social work. I have worked for two years with an NGO working for the rights of women and children in mainly an editorial role but contributing on the ground as and when required.
I have completed my certifications in Lean Management and Lean Six Sigma from the British Standards Institute as well as many certifications in Data Presentation and Project Management from Coursera.

Post MBA Goals: Finance has always been of great interest to me. I want to get into Venture Capital (maybe Impact Investing in particular) as I have always been interested in entrepreneurship and I like meeting new people and listening to new ideas. India is a great growth market for VC and I want to come back to India and contribute to the growth story here.

I plan to work in an early stage startup or a VC fund in the two year after graduating and start my CFA.

You have an impressive profile, with excellent academic stats and leadership. I'm concerned that the lack of internships could be a problem at HBS' deferred program. Focus on your personal story, achievements as a leader. If invited to interview, be prepared to discuss how you are going to use the opportunity that the deferred acceptance will give.

We'd love to be a resource to you as you apply.

Listen to Admissions Straight Talk for interviews with admissions directors, MBAs, test prep pros, and financial aid sources.
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog
Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
P
Re: My Chances at Harvard - Post All Profile Evaluation Requests Here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Oct 2019, 22:40
financechick wrote:
Hello all! Thanks in advance

Background: U.S. citizen, multiracial (White, Black, Hispanic)
Undergrad: non-prestigious college with a 3.6, but graduated with two majors and a year early (does that save me?)
GMAT: 740
Work Experience: 2.5 years at a rating angency as an analyst in structured finance, promoted after 1.5 years; currently 2.25 years into a role as an investment associate on the team that manages the endowment of a prestigious think tank in DC, promoted after 2 years.
Community and others: Long history of volunteer work since undergrad, including 2.5 years volunteering as a math tutor to low-income GED students in DC. I really wasn't involved in anything formal in college.
Post-MBA goals: To work as an investment consultant and then eventually to work for a large endowment in a management role.
Anything else? I passed CFA Level I and am sitting for L2 in June. Also, I was unemployed for 4 months between my two jobs, I accepted an offer with Peace Corps that was canceled due to a natural disaster in the country three days after I left the rating agency. I think this will be the focus of my HBS essay because it was a transformative time, but not sure if I'm better off just mentioning it int the WE section & not bringing too much attention to it. I would really appreciate any advice there!

You have a lot of qualities that HBS will like: You have good academic stats and the 740 in conjunction with the other you provided will help. As a multi-racial female, you will add to the diversity of the class. Solid work experience. I'd like to see more leadership. You may have it, but it isn't visible in your short post. That could be a problem.

Regarding your question about the essay, we'd love to help you with it, but in order to advise I'd have to also know what else you could write about as well as what you intend to say about this transformative period. If we can be a resource to you, please check out our MBA resources. . For advice on the HBS application, please click here.

Best,
Linda

Listen to Admissions Straight Talk for interviews with admissions directors, MBAs, test prep pros, and financial aid sources.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 07 Oct 2019, 08:46
Background: Indian Male, 32
Undergrad: Electronics and Communication Engineering from National Institute of Technology, Tiruchirapalli(Indian Top 15 engineering college). (8/10). Worked with Texas Instruments as design engineer for a year
Post Grad: MBA from Indian Institute of Management Bangalore (GPA: 3/4)
GMAT: Yet to give

Work Experience: 8 years in middle management handling 150 Mn $ revenue.
Leadership: Finalist - Economic Times Young leaders, currently leading a team of 500+ employees, held multiple leadership roles in both undergrad and post grad colleges

Others: Inspired by roommate took a break of one year from work and prepared for Indian civil service exam. This challenged my view of the world. Unfortunately i could not clear the selection process. Even after coming back to industry, I feel there is a big missing piece.

Plan: MBA/MPA – ID course
Post MBA/MPP: Want to work with government/international agencies/political parties.

Thanks a lot!
Sia Admissions Representative
G
Affiliations: NYU, Yale

Show Tags

New post 07 Oct 2019, 14:23
Hi financechick,

Thank you for your post and for sharing your profile. The quantitative data points of your background are competitive for HBS, which is great. That said, to stand out, the qualitative component of your profile must be equally strong, if not more. There are nuances in the description of your personal background that stand out, like multiracial. I had a client with a distinct background akin to yours that I helped get into HBS, and I encourage you to use what sets you apart to build a powerful narrative.

As far as your professional experience is concerned, I like that you have received promotions and that your experience is diverse within finance. I also like that you are seriously pursuing your CFA. As you prepare your application to HBS, I encourage you to think about how your background (as is) with an education from HBS could help you transition into consulting?

If you would like to speak further about your background and how I can help you stand out in your application, please reach out.

Good luck with this important chapter in your professional development.

Susan

financechick wrote:
Hello all! Thanks in advance

Background: U.S. citizen, multiracial (White, Black, Hispanic)
Undergrad: non-prestigious college with a 3.6, but graduated with two majors and a year early (does that save me?)
Work Experience: 2.5 years at a rating angency as an analyst in structured finance, promoted after 1.5 years; currently 2.25 years into a role as an investment associate on the team that manages the endowment of a prestigious think tank in DC, promoted after 2 years.
Community and others: Long history of volunteer work since undergrad, including 2.5 years volunteering as a math tutor to low-income GED students in DC. I really wasn't involved in anything formal in college.
Post-MBA goals: To work as an investment consultant and then eventually to work for a large endowment in a management role.
Anything else? I passed CFA Level I and am sitting for L2 in June. Also, I was unemployed for 4 months between my two jobs, I accepted an offer with Peace Corps that was canceled due to a natural disaster in the country three days after I left the rating agency. I think this will be the focus of my HBS essay because it was a transformative time, but not sure if I'm better off just mentioning it int the WE section & not bringing too much attention to it. I would really appreciate any advice there!

+1 (646) 690 - 9996

Contact us for a complimentary profile evaluation
P

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2019, 10:46
Chandru1987 wrote:
Background: Indian Male, 32
Undergrad: Electronics and Communication Engineering from National Institute of Technology, Tiruchirapalli(Indian Top 15 engineering college). (8/10). Worked with Texas Instruments as design engineer for a year
Post Grad: MBA from Indian Institute of Management Bangalore (GPA: 3/4)
GMAT: Yet to give

Work Experience: 8 years in middle management handling 150 Mn $ revenue.
Leadership: Finalist - Economic Times Young leaders, currently leading a team of 500+ employees, held multiple leadership roles in both undergrad and post grad colleges

Others: Inspired by roommate took a break of one year from work and prepared for Indian civil service exam. This challenged my view of the world. Unfortunately i could not clear the selection process. Even after coming back to industry, I feel there is a big missing piece.

Plan: MBA/MPA – ID course
Post MBA/MPP: Want to work with government/international agencies/political parties.

Thanks a lot!

Chandru,

Without a GMAT score it's almost impossible to say if you'd be competitive. You are above average in terms of work experience and that may not be a plus, although HBS will like your leadership experience. If you have a competitive GMAT, I'd say apply to HBS, but also consider other programs like Georgetown's MBA. You may also want to consider the Sloan Fellows programs at MIT, LBS and Stanford, and see if they allow you to take classes that are relevant to your MPA/MPP interests.

Finally, you might be interested in:

* HKS: An Interview with Admissions Director Matt Clemons
* How to Get a Georgetown MBA
* MIT Sloan EMBA and Fellows Programs: Move from Success to Significance

Best,
Linda

Intern
Intern
B
GPA: 4
My Chances at Harvard - Post All Profile Evaluation Requests Here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2019, 16:17
Hi everyone. Just putting some feelers out for what I need to improve to increase my chances of getting into a top 10 MBA after I graduate in DEC 2020. Would love feedback on what I should improve about myself to strengthen a 2+2 application, or a regular application in 4~5 years.

(Thanks MBAPrepCoach for the template)

============

School, major, GPA
Melbourne, Engineering and Business (dual degree), GPA: 4.0/4.0

Internship and/or work experience
(1) Two years at BMW (engineering) in Munich. Also wrote my bachelor thesis whilst working there.
(2) Combination of short term internships/experiences adding up to four months.

Test scores, GMAT or GRE
Not Attempted

My goal would be 750, however no less than 730.

Country of citizenship
Australia

Language test scores
N/A

International exposure and languages
(1) Two months in Tanzania
(2) Two years in Germany. Can speak German at an elementary workplace level which I learnt beforehand in my own time.

All leadership experience, duration and role
(1) Founding president of the mechanical engineering association at my university. Approximately 200 members and growing.
(2) Established a small start-up which is a platform for auto-part sales. Currently operating.

All community involvement
Probably need to work on this the most. Anyone have good hints at types of community involvement which is best?

Goals (Personal, professional??)
(1) Become a well respected professional
(2) Double the growth of a business I am the leader of.
(3) Take responsibility of a firm worth over $1bn

(These sound terrible, I will need to take more time to think of more fitting goals)

Unique background factors
What do others write about unique background factors?

Other diversity factors
N/A I have not faced diversity issues. What do applicants usually write regarding this?

Any other special or relevant info (special sauce)
Special sauce? What could be written here that has not been included in the other sections?

Your best guess at what you will discuss in your main essay
I think I would present a discussion most focussed on the ambition I have to always challenge myself to do the best I possibly can. Particularly, moving overseas as a 20 year old to undertake an internship and thesis at BMW. Furthermore, I would discuss my leadership qualities and the support I give to students around the the engineering association I formed from scratch at university.

============
P

Show Tags

New post 09 Oct 2019, 23:25
HWaus wrote:
Hi everyone. Just putting some feelers out for what I need to improve to increase my chances of getting into a top 10 MBA after I graduate in DEC 2020. Would love feedback on what I should improve about myself to strengthen a 2+2 application, or a regular application in 4~5 years.

(Thanks MBAPrepCoach for the template)

============

School, major, GPA
Melbourne, Engineering and Business (dual degree), GPA: 4.0/4.0

Internship and/or work experience
(1) Two years at BMW (engineering) in Munich. Also wrote my bachelor thesis whilst working there.
(2) Combination of short term internships/experiences adding up to four months.

Test scores, GMAT or GRE
Not Attempted

My goal would be 750, however no less than 730.

Country of citizenship
Australia

Language test scores
N/A

International exposure and languages
(1) Two months in Tanzania
(2) Two years in Germany. Can speak German at an elementary workplace level which I learnt beforehand in my own time.

All leadership experience, duration and role
(1) Founding president of the mechanical engineering association at my university. Approximately 200 members and growing.
(2) Established a small start-up which is a platform for auto-part sales. Currently operating.

All community involvement
Probably need to work on this the most. Anyone have good hints at types of community involvement which is best?

Goals (Personal, professional??)
(1) Become a well respected professional
(2) Double the growth of a business I am the leader of.
(3) Take responsibility of a firm worth over $1bn

(These sound terrible, I will need to take more time to think of more fitting goals)

Unique background factors
What do others write about unique background factors?

Other diversity factors
N/A I have not faced diversity issues. What do applicants usually write regarding this?

Any other special or relevant info (special sauce)
Special sauce? What could be written here that has not been included in the other sections?

Your best guess at what you will discuss in your main essay
I think I would present a discussion most focussed on the ambition I have to always challenge myself to do the best I possibly can. Particularly, moving overseas as a 20 year old to undertake an internship and thesis at BMW. Furthermore, I would discuss my leadership qualities and the support I give to students around the the engineering association I formed from scratch at university.

============

HWaus

Thanks. You have a lot of question in here. Let's see if I can isolate them.

"Anyone have good hints at types of community involvement which is best?" Activities that reflect your interests, require you to assume responsibility for an outcome, and give you opportunities for leadership. Frankly founding the engineering society and growing it is an example of community service.

You do need to get more specific with your goals. Please see "Why MBA?"

"What do others write about unique background factors?" You're really asking about how you can contribute to diversity. (FYI, Australians with experience working in Germany aren't common in U.S. business schools. That's your background) Please see "Different Dimensions of Diversity."

"Special sauce? What could be written here that has not been included in the other sections?" That will hopefully be something that you can bring out in other sections, including your resume, essays, interviews and throughout your application. It could be what you intend to do after your MBA or how you intend to contribute while in business school. It could be your background, your experience in Germany and in founding the engineering society. Lots of options.

If you plan to apply in 4-5 years, the topic of your essays will probably evolve. And in any case, you will have to look at the question(s) posed in the context of the overall application and also at showing fit with different schools. You can't just write one essay or a set of essays and think it will work for all of them. If you plan to apply now, while you can write about the topics you mention, how to fit them into the different applications and which to emphasize will vary from schools to school. That's what we help clients with.

For general advice on deferred admission programs, please see MBA Programs that Defer. It's a little old and more programs defer today, but the advice is solid.

For advice on preparing yourself to apply in 4-5 years, please see Prep for B-School: A 4-year Guide for College Students & Recent Grads.

Final tip, I don't think this will be a problem, but check with the deferred admission programs individually to ensure that your two-year internship doesn't make you ineligible for deferred admission programs.

Best,
Linda

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 10 Oct 2019, 00:50
Quote:

Final tip, I don't think this will be a problem, but check with the deferred admission programs individually to ensure that your two-year internship doesn't make you ineligible for deferred admission programs.

Best,
Linda

I sent an email to the HBS admissions email regarding this question, all I got in reply was a generic email that didn't answer my question
S
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V40

Show Tags

New post 10 Oct 2019, 01:20
Hi There,
I've just started to put a profile together. I will be fine-tuning it and working on it. Looking forward to some constructive feedback :)
Here's a brief

1. GMAT : 720
2. CG - 7.3 (automobile engg) (reputed UNI)
3. Entrepreneur - Co-founded 2 companies, working with the 2nd one currently.
1st was an EV startup, 2nd a social enterprise. Combined exp 4.5 years
4. Featured(along with my team) in the Entrepreneur India Mag.
The startup has been featured in countless publications.
5. Started a student Go-karting championship as a way to self fund my venture. The championship has now become one of India's Largest.
I also mentor and do consultancy for a few startups along with a couple of things here and there...

My motivation to do an MBA comes from my desire to learn the best business practices, network, get exposure to impactful businesses and solve actual problems on a bigger scale.

I've been working on and with startups to date, this means i don't really have any corporate experience. Looking at various class profiles i see most people are from corporate backgrounds. Would this be in any way be a negative?
(PS- I'm an engineer)
I'd like to get into a consulting firm post MBA or work with a VC firm (considering my startup exp and the love/urge to find solutions)
Why a Consultant?
To put it briefly I LIKE to find problems and LOVE to find solutions to them. I also get super bored if I work on something for too long. Consulting is one profession, according to me, which allows me to cycle between various industries and problems.

Please feel free to add any comments and suggestions.
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Finance, Sustainability
WE: Corporate Finance (Non-Profit and Government)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
My Chances at Harvard - Post All Profile Evaluation Requests Here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 10 Oct 2019, 23:07
JUST A DETAILED REVIEW OF WHAT I DO and what i am.... I work for a public sector bank wherein the government of India owns 55%... there is tough competition to get into this job.. its not a Investment bank or a foreign bank... its a government bank with a triple bottom line... it may be treated as government career as most of our day to day functions involve implementing government policies with respect to financial inclusion, out reach of credit to rural poor, improving agriculture sector through involvement with village governments, engaging with rural women to uplift them through Self help groups, etc ( and i have done this as a job for 3.5 of 4 years on a daily basis)

Background and nationality-
26 years , Indian, male,

Undergrad Information- Aerospace Engineer - SRM UNIVERSITY
7.32/10 GPA- top 25% of the class- (university level- TOP 40 in India)

GMAT: 730 ( on 3 gmat prep mocks -- test on Nov 7th with target of 770 which i will likely achieve)

Work experience and leadership - largest bank and financial services group (public sector) of the country ( back bone of the Indian economy )... State Bank of India (TOP 50 global bank and a F 500 company) .. selected as one of the 2000 officers out of 2.5 million applicants.

1. Credit analyst- 6 months- Commercial Credit- State Bank of India
Ensuring risk quality and credit quality aspects of proposals appraised keeping in view the credit policy of the bank. Performing industry analysis, due diligence processes, etc. Obtaining and analysing relevant financial information, including operating statements and balance sheets for carrying out CRA exercise/preparation of proposals for underwriting new loans, increasing loan commitments, periodical review or substantive changes in terms.Preparation of reports of Special Mention Accounts (NPA) for submission to the appropriate authorities.
Carrying out inspection of units as and when required and mandated in the loan agreement.Ensuring compliance with the bank’s credit policy, local regulatory requirements and compliance with the central bank. Coordinate with officers handling opreations to ensure timely updating and modification of data/terms and conditions/ date of review/approval etc are in the system as and when such change takes place for ensuring correctness of data and information. Achieved more than 35% growth over existing loan book of the asset management team that I worked in a span of 4 months. Appraised credit facilities to the tune of $99 million (Rs 705 cr). Handled 17 corporates accounts with a total exposure of $244.36 million.

2. Deputy Branch Manager of large branch- 1 year 2 months- State bank of India
Incharge of Branch Operations, the head of staff, and head of personal banking division at the branch level.Was directly responsible for the functioning, training, and working of 8 full time staff members. Was incharge of business development in the areas of customer acquisition, agriculture, bullion backed credit, personal segment advances, deposit mobilisation, and cross selling.
Achievements
MANAGING DIRECTOR’S CLUB- MUTUAL FUNDS- OUSTANDING PERFORMANCE IN Bank's MUTUAL FUNDS- 3RD IN THE STATE AMONG 19853 EMPLOYEES.
GOLD QUALIFIER IN YEAR END CAMPAIGN- MUTUAL FUND- FELICITATED BY CHIEF GENERAL MANAGER.. 7th among 19853 employees.
CHIEF GENERAL MANAGER’S CLUB- SBI GENERAL INSURANCE- TOP 3 IN THE STATE
Adjudged the best Deputy Branch Manager in the Network of 850 branches by the General Manager of the network
Adjudged the best Deputy Branch Manager in the Region of 48 branches by the Assistant General Manager/ Regional Manager

The following are the achievements of the team that I lead as the DBM
Gold loan campaign- Was among the 35 branches that qualified in the national level twice in 2 back to back months
QUALIFIED xyz CAMPAIGN- TOPPER AT THE NETWORK LEVEL AMONG 830 BRANCHES.
Achieved an Audit score of ‘AA’ a rare feat given the current banking scenario in india.
DEPUTY GENERAL MANAGER’S CLUB – NOMINATED BY ALL THE DGMS IN THE STATE TO BE BEST BRANCH AMONG 1300 BRANCHES.

3. Branch Manager – 8 months- State Bank of India
As branch manager lead a team of 4 staff members with Rs35 millions of business. Primarily responsible for business development of the branch, functioning of the staff, marketing, appraising MSME credit proposals, ensuring due-diligence of all liability and asset products, and overall security measures of the branch premises.As Branch Manager and team lead, I had along with my team successfully tripled the number of deposit holders in a span of 6 months, increased the agri-gold loan business by 150% over the previous fiscal, sourced and apprised MSME loans to the value of 300% the asset portfolio of the branch, made the branch a 100% digitally banked rural branch from 15% previously by conducting digital awareness programs in the nearby villages, with the help of Sarpanchs ( head of the village level government) and also insured 85% of salaried factory workers from a previous level of 3% a feat appreciated by the GM of the network.

4. New recruit officer - 2 years- State Bank of India
Mandatory time of 2 years of learning of the bank policies and assisting the branch functionaries in business development.
Handled crowds of about 20,000 everyday for 3 months during the demonetization (lineups were 2-3 kms) exercise that took place in 2016 (the greatest challenge at the time).
Increased revenue of a branch by 50%.

Leadership
Leadership (extra-curricular):

1. Organiser and Head of Planning Committee – DEPARTMENT FEST – 2013
Organized and planned the UN international Space week in Aerospace Department. Planned, Created, and set-up events for participation. Coordinated and Managed 50+ volunteers for the success of the technical fest.

2. Joint Secretary and English teacher- a student based NGO- 2012-2013
Was a part of the management team of a student based NGO. As Joint Secretary, I developed syllabus and teaching functions, guidelines for environment awareness focus campaigns , put together the online campaigning strategy, formulated HR policies including setting up of different verticals , conducting interviews for on-boarding of volunteers, conducting induction programs for new volunteers of the newly formed NGO. I had also introduced Volunteer incentive program for extraordinary recognition. I was also given additional responsibility of being in charge of the book wings program where I planned, organized, scheduled classes on a weekly basis for teaching English to under-privileged children.

3. Director & President – student based ngo -2013-2015
As the director of Go Green, I was directly responsible for 200 volunteers. Organized Beach clean-up programs, environmental cleanliness awareness campaigns, water conversation campaigns, animal habitat restoration programs, sanitation awareness programs etc., . As the director, I was in charge of proper policy implementation of the NGO to ensure effective outreach of the awareness campaigns, build relationships with the external agencies for planning events of a larger scale, ensuring that every volunteer is well versed on climate change & sustainable development goals relating to environment and helping the junior volunteers in the on-boarding by conducting induction programs and team building exercises. As the first Director, I had an additional responsibility of formulating polices on succession of the directors and voting of green-captains .

4. Volunteer- Earthlings- 2015-present
active environmental activist in my city and region by participating in awareness programs and educating the general public.( couldnt take up a leadership position because of time constraints as i have 6 day week and have to cme in even on sundays ... that being said i have always pitched my view because of my experience of running an NGO)

Community and others- (dont know what to write here) - Have a deep connection with nature and environment. Always been an active activist for environmental causes. Have been volunteering for the past 7 years of my life biweekly to raise awareness and continue to do so

Post MBA goals- Want to move to consulting with a specialization in public sector and climate policy and hope to make it to MBB after mba.

Originally posted by vamkrispk on 10 Oct 2019, 20:03.
Last edited by vamkrispk on 10 Oct 2019, 23:07, edited 1 time in total.
P

Show Tags

New post 10 Oct 2019, 21:57
HWaus wrote:
Quote:

Best,
Linda

I sent an email to the HBS admissions email regarding this question, all I got in reply was a generic email that didn't answer my question

Then try a phone call when during their business hours.

P

Show Tags

New post 10 Oct 2019, 22:15
Karmesh wrote:
Hi There,
I've just started to put a profile together. I will be fine-tuning it and working on it. Looking forward to some constructive feedback :)
Here's a brief

1. GMAT : 720
2. CG - 7.3 (automobile engg) (reputed UNI)
3. Entrepreneur - Co-founded 2 companies, working with the 2nd one currently.
1st was an EV startup, 2nd a social enterprise. Combined exp 4.5 years
4. Featured(along with my team) in the Entrepreneur India Mag.
The startup has been featured in countless publications.
5. Started a student Go-karting championship as a way to self fund my venture. The championship has now become one of India's Largest.
I also mentor and do consultancy for a few startups along with a couple of things here and there...

My motivation to do an MBA comes from my desire to learn the best business practices, network, get exposure to impactful businesses and solve actual problems on a bigger scale.

I've been working on and with startups to date, this means i don't really have any corporate experience. Looking at various class profiles i see most people are from corporate backgrounds. Would this be in any way be a negative?
(PS- I'm an engineer)
I'd like to get into a consulting firm post MBA or work with a VC firm (considering my startup exp and the love/urge to find solutions)
Why a Consultant?
To put it briefly I LIKE to find problems and LOVE to find solutions to them. I also get super bored if I work on something for too long. Consulting is one profession, according to me, which allows me to cycle between various industries and problems.

Please feel free to add any comments and suggestions.

Hi Karmesh,

HBS is a stretch simply because competition is so tough, however your experience is distinctive and you should give HBS a try. Also consider Ross, MIT Sloan, UCLA, USC, Duke, Darden, and Cornell Tech.

The fact that your experience is entrepreneurial is a double-edged sword. (both good and bad). On one hand entrepreneurship show initiative and requires leadership and a broader understanding of business. It also is distinctive; you didn't graduate, get your engineering degree and go work for Tata or Infosys, like so many highly qualified others. On the other hand, because your career has been more distinctive you have a little bit of an educational challenge. That challenge is showing the admissions committee that you are just as talented as the people who work at Tata or Infosys (name any other big company) where the difficulty of getting hired and the typical career path are more familiar. Bottom line: Use it to your advantage. Educate them.

You might be interested in Against the Odds: MBA Admissions for Indian Applicants

Best,
Linda

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 12 Oct 2019, 15:47
Accepted wrote:
HWaus wrote:
Quote:

Best,
Linda

Then try a phone call when during their business hours.

Do they have a number for international calls?

Thanks,
HW
P

Show Tags

New post 13 Oct 2019, 11:32
I sent an email to the HBS admissions email regarding this question, all I got in reply was a generic email that didn't answer my question[/quote]

Then try a phone call when during their business hours.[/quote]

Do they have a number for international calls?

Thanks,
HW[/quote]

Not to my knowledge.

Intern
Intern
B
Affiliations: SWE
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GPA: 3.8
WE: Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)

Show Tags

New post 14 Oct 2019, 00:53
I like to understand if my profile has "fit" for Harvard 2 year MBA course.

GMAT: Yet to give expected 700+

Academics:
10th: 92.36% school 6th and 100% in Mathematics.
12th: 82%
Undergraduate: B.Tech Aerospace Engineering, SRM University, India.
CGPA: 8.86 - top 10%
Post graduate: Master's in Aeronautical and space systems, ISAE-SUPAERO, France
Marks: 13.6/20

Languages: English, French (intermediate), Japanese(Beginner).

WE: Total : 3y 1m and Internship for 6 months in France.
Present - 9 months: Boeing India
Software Simulation Engineer - Scrum Master

1) Built simulation models to be integrated to the simulator
2) Took initiative to Enable cosimulation between Matlab/Simulink and and the Simulator.
3) Set up Agile way of working for the team - Agile Project Management.

Certification: SAFe 4 Practitioner.

Extra-curricular:
1) Member of Society for Women Engineers - Technical Committee help in reviewing technical papers.
2) Member of department's Innovation Council and took initiative to set up Active Interests groups/clubs within the department.
3) Reverse Mentoring: Mentored a Senior Manager on Application of Agile Project Management which has directly inducted into his way of working.

2016-2018 - 2y 4m: Airbus India
Promoted from Associate Engineer to Engineer within 1 year.

1) Worked on Electrical Design and analysis
2) Trained Team members on process and technical information
3) Managed External team
4) Project management activities.

Extra-curricular:
1) Active member for Balance for Business community at Airbus. Took part in various road shows that showcased gender diversity at workplace.
2) Took initiative to set up Secondary competency framework for experience professionals on up-skilling.
3) Took initiative to introduce Work from home policy for the company.
4) Represented the department at inter-department Badminton Tournaments.

Certification: Design Thinking Workshop - IIM Bangalore

Extra-curricular at Colleges:
1) Secretary for EUROAVIA Toulouse for 2 years. Non-Profit organization for Aerospace skilling in students. Organized International workshop comprising of more than 5 nationalities in Space Debris awareness and removal. Published paper on this imitative at International Astronautical Conference - 2015
2) Organised an event called Aero-Cypher at Undergraduate which involves working with the wind tunnel
3) Zonal level school Ball Badminton Player.

Personal Project:
Founded Reach Higher a blog/website which helps students in deciding what courses to take after under graduation and one stop website for all their needs.

Post-MBA goals:
I like to work on my start idea on Education consultant and MBA from a top university will be the ideal foundation to take up my idea forward.
P

Show Tags

New post 15 Oct 2019, 22:31
sandy1091 wrote:

Academics:

2) Took initiative to Enable cosimulation between Matlab/Simulink and and the Simulator.

Extra-curricular:
1) Member of Society for Women Engineers - Technical Committee help in reviewing technical papers.
2) Member of department's Innovation Council and took initiative to set up Active Interests groups/clubs within the department.
3) Reverse Mentoring: Mentored a Senior Manager on Application of Agile Project Management which has directly inducted into his way of working.

3) Managed External team

Extra-curricular:
1) Active member for Balance for Business community at Airbus. Took part in various road shows that showcased gender diversity at workplace.
2) Took initiative to set up Secondary competency framework for experience professionals on up-skilling.

1) Secretary for EUROAVIA Toulouse for 2 years. Non-Profit organization for Aerospace skilling in students. Organized International workshop comprising of more than 5 nationalities in Space Debris awareness and removal. Published paper on this imitative at International Astronautical Conference - 2015
2) Organised an event called Aero-Cypher at Undergraduate which involves working with the wind tunnel

Personal Project:
Founded Reach Higher a blog/website which helps students in deciding what courses to take after under graduation and one stop website for all their needs.

Post-MBA goals:
I like to work on my start idea on Education consultant and MBA from a top university will be the ideal foundation to take up my idea forward.

I am not that familiar with the 20-point grading scale used in your masters program, but your grades there seem to be much lower than your undergrad grades. Am I correct? And if so, did you struggle there?

Linda

Intern
Intern
B
Affiliations: SWE
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GPA: 3.8
WE: Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)

Show Tags

New post 16 Oct 2019, 03:53
Accepted.com wrote:
sandy1091 wrote:

Academics:

Extra-curricular:

3) Managed External team

Extra-curricular:

Personal Project:

Post-MBA goals:

I am not that familiar with the 20-point grading scale used in your masters program, but your grades there seem to be much lower than your undergrad grades. Am I correct? And if so, did you struggle there?

Linda

Yes I had chosen my masters primarily with electrical engineering as a background while I came from aerospace. Hence gpa is low since my average on first year was low. But I did score good gpa on research projects on both the years.

Posted from my mobile device
P

Show Tags

New post 16 Oct 2019, 09:28
sandy1091 wrote:
Accepted.com wrote:
sandy1091 wrote:

Academics:

Extra-curricular:

3) Managed External team

Extra-curricular:

Personal Project:

Post-MBA goals:

Linda

Yes I had chosen my masters primarily with electrical engineering as a background while I came from aerospace. Hence gpa is low since my average on first year was low. But I did score good gpa on research projects on both the years.

HBS is a stretch, but depending on how you do on your GMAT, the other programs you list in your short profile are more feasible. Schools, including HBS, will like the fact that you are in a woman in an male-dominated industry as well as your undergrad grades and international exposure. They will have concerns about the grad GPA, and may want to see more leadership and impact. If you'd like help in presenting to highlight your past leadership and impact, please let me know. For now, please focus on the GMAT. Good luck with it!

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Finance, Sustainability
WE: Corporate Finance (Non-Profit and Government)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 16 Oct 2019, 18:19
JUST A DETAILED REVIEW OF WHAT I DO and what i am.... I work for a public sector bank wherein the government of India owns 55%... there is tough competition to get into this job.. its not a Investment bank or a foreign bank... its a government bank with a triple bottom line... it may be treated as government career as most of our day to day functions involve implementing government policies with respect to financial inclusion, out reach of credit to rural poor, improving agriculture sector through involvement with village governments, engaging with rural women to uplift them through Self help groups, etc ( and i have done this as a job for 3.5 of 4 years on a daily basis)

Background and nationality-
26 years , Indian, male,

Undergrad Information- Aerospace Engineer - SRM UNIVERSITY
7.32/10 GPA- top 25% of the class- (university level- TOP 40 in India)

GMAT: 730 ( on 3 gmat prep mocks -- test on Nov 7th with target of 770 which i will likely achieve)

Work experience and leadership - largest bank and financial services group (public sector) of the country ( back bone of the Indian economy )... State Bank of India (TOP 50 global bank and a F 500 company) .. selected as one of the 2000 officers out of 2.5 million applicants.

1. Credit analyst- 6 months- Commercial Credit- State Bank of India
Ensuring risk quality and credit quality aspects of proposals appraised keeping in view the credit policy of the bank. Performing industry analysis, due diligence processes, etc. Obtaining and analysing relevant financial information, including operating statements and balance sheets for carrying out CRA exercise/preparation of proposals for underwriting new loans, increasing loan commitments, periodical review or substantive changes in terms.Preparation of reports of Special Mention Accounts (NPA) for submission to the appropriate authorities.
Carrying out inspection of units as and when required and mandated in the loan agreement.Ensuring compliance with the bank’s credit policy, local regulatory requirements and compliance with the central bank. Coordinate with officers handling opreations to ensure timely updating and modification of data/terms and conditions/ date of review/approval etc are in the system as and when such change takes place for ensuring correctness of data and information. Achieved more than 35% growth over existing loan book of the asset management team that I worked in a span of 4 months. Appraised credit facilities to the tune of $99 million (Rs 705 cr). Handled 17 corporates accounts with a total exposure of $244.36 million.

2. Deputy Branch Manager of large branch- 1 year 2 months- State bank of India
Incharge of Branch Operations, the head of staff, and head of personal banking division at the branch level.Was directly responsible for the functioning, training, and working of 8 full time staff members. Was incharge of business development in the areas of customer acquisition, agriculture, bullion backed credit, personal segment advances, deposit mobilisation, and cross selling.
Achievements
MANAGING DIRECTOR’S CLUB- MUTUAL FUNDS- OUSTANDING PERFORMANCE IN Bank's MUTUAL FUNDS- 3RD IN THE STATE AMONG 19853 EMPLOYEES.
GOLD QUALIFIER IN YEAR END CAMPAIGN- MUTUAL FUND- FELICITATED BY CHIEF GENERAL MANAGER.. 7th among 19853 employees.
CHIEF GENERAL MANAGER’S CLUB- SBI GENERAL INSURANCE- TOP 3 IN THE STATE
Adjudged the best Deputy Branch Manager in the Network of 850 branches by the General Manager of the network
Adjudged the best Deputy Branch Manager in the Region of 48 branches by the Assistant General Manager/ Regional Manager
The following are the achievements of the team that I lead as the DBM
Gold loan campaign- Was among the 35 branches that qualified in the national level twice in 2 back to back months
QUALIFIED xyz CAMPAIGN- TOPPER AT THE NETWORK LEVEL AMONG 830 BRANCHES.
DEPUTY GENERAL MANAGER’S CLUB – NOMINATED BY ALL THE DGMS IN THE STATE TO BE BEST BRANCH AMONG 1300 BRANCHES.

3. Branch Manager – 8 months- State Bank of India
As branch manager lead a team of 4 staff members with Rs35 millions of business. Primarily responsible for business development of the branch, functioning of the staff, marketing, appraising MSME credit proposals, ensuring due-diligence of all liability and asset products, and overall security measures of the branch premises.As Branch Manager and team lead, I had along with my team successfully tripled the number of deposit holders in a span of 6 months, increased the agri-gold loan business by 150% over the previous fiscal, sourced and apprised MSME loans to the value of 300% the asset portfolio of the branch, made the branch a 100% digitally banked rural branch from 15% previously by conducting digital awareness programs in the nearby villages, with the help of Sarpanchs ( head of the village level government) and also insured 85% of salaried factory workers from a previous level of 3% a feat appreciated by the GM of the network.

4. New recruit officer - 2 years- State Bank of India
Mandatory time of 2 years of learning of the bank policies and assisting the branch functionaries in business development.
Handled crowds of about 20,000 everyday for 3 months during the demonetization (lineups were 2-3 kms) exercise that took place in 2016 (the greatest challenge at the time).
Increased revenue of a branch by 50%.

Leadership
Leadership (extra-curricular):

1. Organiser and Head of Planning Committee – DEPARTMENT FEST – 2013
Organized and planned the UN international Space week in Aerospace Department. Planned, Created, and set-up events for participation. Coordinated and Managed 50+ volunteers for the success of the technical fest.

2. Joint Secretary and English teacher- a student based NGO- 2012-2013
Was a part of the management team of a student based NGO. As Joint Secretary, I developed syllabus and teaching functions, guidelines for environment awareness focus campaigns , put together the online campaigning strategy, formulated HR policies including setting up of different verticals , conducting interviews for on-boarding of volunteers, conducting induction programs for new volunteers of the newly formed NGO. I had also introduced Volunteer incentive program for extraordinary recognition. I was also given additional responsibility of being in charge of the book wings program where I planned, organized, scheduled classes on a weekly basis for teaching English to under-privileged children.

3. Director & President – student based ngo -2013-2015
As the director of Go Green, I was directly responsible for 200 volunteers. Organized Beach clean-up programs, environmental cleanliness awareness campaigns, water conversation campaigns, animal habitat restoration programs, sanitation awareness programs etc., . As the director, I was in charge of proper policy implementation of the NGO to ensure effective outreach of the awareness campaigns, build relationships with the external agencies for planning events of a larger scale, ensuring that every volunteer is well versed on climate change & sustainable development goals relating to environment and helping the junior volunteers in the on-boarding by conducting induction programs and team building exercises. As the first Director, I had an additional responsibility of formulating polices on succession of the directors and voting of green-captains .

4. Volunteer- Earthlings- 2015-present
active environmental activist in my city and region by participating in awareness programs and educating the general public.( couldnt take up a leadership position because of time constraints as i have 6 day week and have to come in even on sundays with a 15 hr work schedule... that being said i have always pitched my view because of my experience of running an NGO)

IF these count.. because all these are part of my job
1. Member of the District level committee on Industrial policy.
2. Member of the Mandal Level committee (one step lower than the district level) on banking, and financial inclusion.
3. Member and advisor of the Telangana State Industrial infrastructure corporation at the Mandal level.
4. Member of the Bank's regional committee on strategy and business growth.
5. Member of the Bank's regional committee on Agriculture, Self-help Group (women empowerment through banking), and small credits.

Community and others- (dont know what to write here) - Have a deep connection with nature and environment. Always been an active activist for environmental causes. Have been volunteering for the past 7 years of my life biweekly to raise awareness and continue to do so

Post MBA goals- Want to move to consulting with a specialization in public sector and climate policy and hope to make it to MBB after mba.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 19 Oct 2019, 06:04
Hi, I wanted to get some views on whether I am likely to be accepted to HBS.

28 year old near east British female

At a summary level:

Education: MEng electronic engineering from a QS world top 10 university (but based in the UK) Graduated with a first and in the top 10 (4.0 GPA equivalent)

WE: have been working for 5 years in a FTSE100 telecoms company, largely in technical programme management roles. Managing matrix teams of up to 50 people and budgets of £10m. Responsible for rolling out some of the biggest product launches for the company bringing in £millions. Dotted line into CIO and now working on transformation projects.

Also did various internships in big name companies whilst at uni(not sure if relevant here?)

Objective for doing an MBA: largely to gain entrepreneurship skills.

GMAT Club Bot
My Chances at Harvard - Post All Profile Evaluation Requests Here!   [#permalink] 19 Oct 2019, 06:04

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24    Next  [ 477 posts ] 

My Chances at Harvard - Post All Profile Evaluation Requests Here!

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: sroy4