GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 24 May 2019, 12:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Check 800 points

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Check 800 points  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Jul 2017, 11:20
Quick question..

Is the scoring methodology of 800 Score Tests accurate.. I mean its way off from what GMATPrep calculates.. I got a Q49 after 11 Incorrect questions in GMATPrep. and I got a Q43 with the same number of incorrect questions in 800 Score Tests. The incorrect questions were randomly placed and I got only 2 ques incoreect in the first 10 in both the tests. Verbal also generates the results on the same lines..

What's the reason??
Board of Directors
V
Reviews Badge
Check 800 points  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Jul 2017, 11:25
Hey brucebrown ,

Welcome to GMATClub. :)

The best indicator of your scores is official material(GMATPrep Software).

You need to keep in mind that it is not just the number of questions correct/incorrect that determines the final score.

It is the level of difficulty of each question that you get right or wrong.

All the best. :)
Verbal Resources: All SC Resources at one place | All CR Resources at one place
Blog: Subscribe to Question of the Day Blog
GMAT Club Inbuilt Error Log Functionality - View More.
New Visa Forum - Ask all your Visa Related Questions - here.
New! Best Reply Functionality on GMAT Club!
Find a bug in the new email templates and get rewarded with 2 weeks of GMATClub Tests for free
Check our new About Us Page here.
CEO
CEO
V
Re: Check 800 points  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Jul 2017, 11:27
Top Contributor
brucebrown wrote:
Quick question..

Is the scoring methodology of 800 Score Tests accurate.. I mean its way off from what GMATPrep calculates.. I got a Q49 after 11 Incorrect questions in GMATPrep. and I got a Q43 with the same number of incorrect questions in 800 Score Tests. The incorrect questions were randomly placed and I got only 2 ques incoreect in the first 10 in both the tests. Verbal also generates the results on the same lines..

What's the reason??

It's hard to say whether 800Score's algorithm is accurate based on those test results.

Even the official scoring algorithm isn't as predictable as one might think.
Consider this experiment I performed: I took GMATPrep Practice Test #1 four times, and each time I answered every second question correctly (I did this for the quant section only)

Given that I correctly answered exactly half of the questions each time, you'd expect my quant scores to be roughly the same for all 4 tests.

My 4 scaled scores were: 19, 23, 26 and 42

This represents a percentile range from approximately 8th percentile to the 63rd percentile.

Given these results, what can we say for certain about the official scoring algorithm?

Cheers,
Brent
G

Show Tags

New post 07 Jul 2017, 11:42
I don't comment on specific company materials, but you really shouldn't trust the scores you get from any company tests - use GMATPrep if you need a realistic score estimate. No company test could possibly be as accurate as the real thing (and that's what GMATPrep is), and some company tests are very, very far off.

As Brent's experiment proves, your number of right answers doesn't strictly determine your score, nor does the position in the test of your right and wrong answers. What matters is the difficulty level of the questions you got right and wrong. And difficulty level isn't perfectly predictable - even at the start of the test, some tests start harder than others.

If you are looking for online GMAT math tutoring, or if you are interested in buying my advanced Quant books and problem sets, please contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com
CEO
CEO
V
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169

Show Tags

New post 07 Jul 2017, 23:06
brucebrown wrote:
Quick question..

What's the reason??
Don't focus on the number of questions you got right/wrong on the GMATPrep, and don't worry too much about the scores you get on non-official tests.
Re: Check 800 points   [#permalink] 07 Jul 2017, 23:06

Check 800 points

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap