GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Oct 2019, 02:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Concerned about no response from Kelley AdCom or Student Ambassadors

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
WE: Programming (Internet and New Media)
Concerned about no response from Kelley AdCom or Student Ambassadors  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Aug 2019, 15:32
Hello all,

Long-time lurker, first time poster :)

I have Kelley as one of my shortlisted schools for entrepreneurship and from everything I've read it seems to be a great fit. However, I've contacted 2 student ambassadors but haven't received a reply from either. One was about 2 months ago and the other has been 2 weeks or so (I'll send a follow-up to this person tomorrow).

AdCom took about a week to respond to my email to connect me with a student... this is understandable. They asked for some details so they'd connect me with the right student. It's been silence ever since.

Bright side: On LinkedIn, I contacted an alum and a second year. The second year was really formal and seemed uptight, while the alum was quite friendly and open about the program - he even recommended it.

Is this a bad sign of my fit for the school or am I just being paranoid?

Either way, I would prefer to know now than later with a rejection letter.

What's your take on this?
INSEAD School Moderator
D
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Farrell D Hehn: MBA
Re: Concerned about no response from Kelley AdCom or Student Ambassadors  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Aug 2019, 00:42
tadtoad wow, I am quite surprised by this to be honest. I doubt this is any reflection on adcom interest in you personally. Classes start very soon and they might be frazzled with all of that.

I dont have the same picture they do but, if you are Nigerian I would imagine they are very interested in the diversity you would bring to UI. I would like you to get LinkedIn Premium if you don't already and contact a butt load of alums with a very "easy to say yes" type email. mention your goals, and how you would like to develop. give them a list of ten questions and ask if they would rather chat through the answers for 20 minutes over Skype.

don't just give them open ended vague questions like "what should I do" type stuff.

The reason I mention this is we want to rule out the crappy letter variable and just observe the number of responses; you might want to do a test and control here by sending the same letter to another school you are considering. you want a decent "sample size" so it seems logical to make conclusions, and a way to compare as well. I have found that if they are enthusiastic they will respond to letters I create with my clients and if not they wont' - the response rate is telling.

And, of course the feedback is as well, but really the response rate is a great measure of overall enthusiasm. Maybe pick people who have been out for a few years - see if the Indiana alumni factor has helped them.

tadtoad wrote:
Hello all,

Long-time lurker, first time poster :)

I have Kelley as one of my shortlisted schools for entrepreneurship and from everything I've read it seems to be a great fit. However, I've contacted 2 student ambassadors but haven't received a reply from either. One was about 2 months ago and the other has been 2 weeks or so (I'll send a follow-up to this person tomorrow).

AdCom took about a week to respond to my email to connect me with a student... this is understandable. They asked for some details so they'd connect me with the right student. It's been silence ever since.

Bright side: On LinkedIn, I contacted an alum and a second year. The second year was really formal and seemed uptight, while the alum was quite friendly and open about the program - he even recommended it.

Is this a bad sign of my fit for the school or am I just being paranoid?

Either way, I would prefer to know now than later with a rejection letter.

What's your take on this?

Intern
B
Re: Concerned about no response from Kelley AdCom or Student Ambassadors  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Aug 2019, 01:27
MBAPrepCoach Thanks for your reply. I was also thinking it partly has to do with them being busy with their internships.

Concerning the possible crappy letter & sample size, okay I'll give it a shot.

Maybe I was just looking for the same level of enthusiasm I got from W.P Carey. I used a similar format (tweaking where necessary) with W.P Carey AdCom and alums on LinkedIn and the results were great. I was put in contact with a student that has a similar focus, even got connected with a Nigerian - both were super helpful and open. The alumni on LinkedIn even offered to connect me with the people that invested in his company if I ended up at W.P. Carey.

Nevertheless... I'll soldier on! I'll update this thread if anything changes.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 24 Aug 2019, 09:07
Update: About a week after my last post, one of the students I contacted responded and she was super helpful! She even put me in contact with her classmates and friends at my other target schools. They've also put me in contact with a whole bunch of people. So paranoia over!
INSEAD School Moderator
D
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Farrell D Hehn: MBA

Show Tags

New post 24 Aug 2019, 15:37
YAY

Posted from my mobile device
Re: Concerned about no response from Kelley AdCom or Student Ambassadors   [#permalink] 24 Aug 2019, 15:37

Concerned about no response from Kelley AdCom or Student Ambassadors

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: billionaire, Hatakekakashi