GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Apr 2019, 11:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Considering taking 3rd time; 700 but low Quant

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
Considering taking 3rd time; 700 but low Quant  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jul 2017, 17:45
Hi all,

I am not sure if this is the right place to direct this question, but I was wondering if someone might be able to provide me with advice.

I took the GMAT for the second time today and scored a 700 (Q42 V42 IR 8), and while this does represent solid improvement from my first test back in December of last year (660; Q37 V47 IR 7), I am still left feeling disappointed.

I followed the magoosh 3 month math focused study program, but spaced it out to a timeframe closer to 5 months. I would estimate I put in somewhere between 250-300 hours of studying time.

I am aiming to apply to top 15 programs, and so I know that my quantitative score needs to be higher. My biggest frustration is that I had scored significantly better on gmat prep tests taken within the last month: Q45, Q49, Q47 (each time after taking the AWA & IR, and with the 3rd time as part of the whole test under almost exact test conditions; total test gmat prep score was 730 with V44).

What's also throwing me off is that up until the moment the score predictor appeared, I had thought I knocked it out of the park. I managed to finish the quant section without rushing through the last few questions (which usually was an issue in practice tests), and felt really great about it.

I think some of it may have been due to trying out a new timing strategy on test day that I had read about in the Manhattan gmat roadmap book, in which you block out the questions to solve 5 every 10 minutes. While this did help keep me from rushing at the end, I am wondering if I gave up on questions I could have solved too early into the test and thus set my remaining questions at a lower difficulty level.

I am debating retaking the test for a third time. Since I had felt like I did so well, I am unsure what to focus on or how long of a study period would be realistic to expect to legitimately score ~47 on quant (or at the minimum a 45).

As a bit of additional background, I graduated from a larger state school with a 3.76 GPA and a humanities degree. I've worked in the digital advertising/ad tech space for a little of 4 years.

I very much appreciate any input.

Thank you!
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Considering taking 3rd time; 700 but low Quant  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jul 2017, 20:14
Yes it is a low-ish quant score but it really depends on your background and your career goals. If you applying as a finance guy then you probably want to retake yet again but if your background is law or marketing and you never got more than a B in a math class this may be an achievement despite your feelings.

There is more than a score to a person. However Q42 is low :(

I think you can easily improve with a few easy steps. First of all, you don't want to try anything new on the test day. Definitely a bad time to try out a new strategy.

PS. We had one of the moderators @MichMax who got into a bunch of top 15 schools with Q44 V44. She was a marketing person and appealed to many programs for the value and diversity she could bring.

I would cram more quant for 15 more days (and a bit of verbal) and retake using a proven strategy. You need just a few points. You are very close!

Posted from my mobile device

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
OG2019 Directory is here!
Want to know application stats & Profiles from last year? Check the Decision Tracker

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 18 Jul 2017, 03:32
bb I would be really really grateful if you could give me some advice. I am applying for top-tier B-schools in the first round so the deadlines are drawing close...

I am in a similar situation as the poster. I took 2 GMAT exams and got the exact same Scaled Score but slightly different overall scores and percentiles. I am really struggling whether I should take it a third time to get to top B-schools..

GMAT 1:
700 (89%)
IR5 (54%)
Q47 (65%)
V40 (91%)

GMAT 2: 710 (91%)
IR5 (55%)
Q47 (63%)
V40 (91%)

When I decided to take it the second time, I was hoping to improve my Quant score. That is why I am super disappointed now that my Quant percentile decreased (despite having the same scaled score).

Some key background information:
- I am a bit worried about my AWA in GMAT2 (not sure if I can get a 4..)
- I am from Hong Kong (not sure if I will be counted as "Chinese" in terms of admission quotas)
- I have a double degree in Law and Business (LLB and BBA), second upper class honours but a GPA of only 3.0X (not low in this double degree program but I guess it is considered low by admission committee?)
- I worked in a Fortune 500 company, first in the a Global Strategy role, then in a local marketing role within the same company (my current position)

Do you think my profile and GMAT score (given the low Quant) is strong enough to get into the top 10 US business schools (Kellogg, Haas, Ross...).

Thank you very much!
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 19 Jul 2017, 21:39
It is hard to tell... There are a lot of amazing people applying to Top 10. If you are an amazing person, probably. I would get more in-depth candidacy review from an admissions consultant - pay them $250 for an hour of their time and get them to evaluate all of your strengths and weaknesses. They see a lot of applicants, so they can tell you within 5 mins and the rest of the time you can spend on tips and improvement suggestions.

At the same time, it does not look like quant is your strength so if you don't feel you can improve it then move on to the area you can improve the most and work on the portions of your application that you can tackle.

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
OG2019 Directory is here!
Want to know application stats & Profiles from last year? Check the Decision Tracker

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Considering taking 3rd time; 700 but low Quant   [#permalink] 19 Jul 2017, 21:39

Considering taking 3rd time; 700 but low Quant

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: chetan2u, EMPOWERgmatRichC, bb

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap