It is currently 19 Oct 2017, 12:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Could anyone evaluate my profile for MIT Msc Finance?

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 08 Jul 2017
Posts: 17

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 2

Could anyone evaluate my profile for MIT Msc Finance? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jul 2017, 14:28
Hi all, looking for an evaluation for the MIT Msc of Finance program.

Program: Bachelor of Health Sciences in Biomedical Sciences with a minor in commerce (one of the top programs in Canada, but I am not sure about the recognition in US), McMaster University (Canada)

GPA: 3.93

Math Courses: Calculus I, Statistics, Microeconomics, Macroeconomics, Intermediate Microeconomics, Finance, Financial/Managerial Accounting - as you can see, not many pure math courses ..

Work: Student strategy consultant for biomedical commercialization, Summer Research Assistant (rececieved a prestigious research scholarship from the Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council to conduct this research), Health Policy Research Assistant (1 year), Clinical Research Assistant (4 months), Program Coordinator at a local emergency department hospital program (4 years)

Extracurriculars/Volunteering: Equity analyst at university investment club, selected to attend a program called Emerging Health Leaders based on merits of academics/leadership (received 5K scholarship to attend), communications/outreach organizer for a community tech club, soccer coach, spinal cord rehab volunteer, athletic therapy volunteer, some other scholarships related to leadership/academics

Planning to write GMAT by November

Clearly, I think Im lacking in the quantitative department coming from my biochemistry background. I was wondering if I stood any chance at all for the program and any other thoughts/suggestions you guys had

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 2

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
User avatar
B
Joined: 17 Jul 2010
Posts: 605

Kudos [?]: 99 [1], given: 2

Location: United States (NY)
Re: Could anyone evaluate my profile for MIT Msc Finance? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jul 2017, 08:11
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
McMaster is a good school and MIT admissions will know about it. GPA is strong and you have decent quant classes (although you might need to take one or two classes to meet the qualifications for MIT - they have a bootcamp that could satisfy this).

GMAT is going to be what is important though. I would say 700ish and you start being competitive, with it increasing as your score increases.

MIT might like you as you have a different background than what they usual get applying to their program.

Focus on the GMAT and make sure you get strong letters of recommendation from your professors. Good luck.
_________________

Master in Finance HQ
http://www.msfhq.com

Kudos [?]: 99 [1], given: 2

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 08 Jul 2017
Posts: 17

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 2

Re: Could anyone evaluate my profile for MIT Msc Finance? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jul 2017, 13:06
MSFHQ wrote:
McMaster is a good school and MIT admissions will know about it. GPA is strong and you have decent quant classes (although you might need to take one or two classes to meet the qualifications for MIT - they have a bootcamp that could satisfy this).

GMAT is going to be what is important though. I would say 700ish and you start being competitive, with it increasing as your score increases.

MIT might like you as you have a different background than what they usual get applying to their program.

Focus on the GMAT and make sure you get strong letters of recommendation from your professors. Good luck.


Hey, thanks for the evaluation. My target for GMAT was ~730 - do you think that would give me a good shot at MIT?

Also, how would my profile fare at other Msc Finance programs, specifically Princeton and LSE? I've heard Princeton is the most competitive/selective of all finance programs so I'm a little doubtful whether or not I would stand a chance. Much thanks :)

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 2

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
User avatar
B
Joined: 17 Jul 2010
Posts: 605

Kudos [?]: 99 [1], given: 2

Location: United States (NY)
Re: Could anyone evaluate my profile for MIT Msc Finance? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jul 2017, 06:40
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
daftypatty wrote:
MSFHQ wrote:
McMaster is a good school and MIT admissions will know about it. GPA is strong and you have decent quant classes (although you might need to take one or two classes to meet the qualifications for MIT - they have a bootcamp that could satisfy this).

GMAT is going to be what is important though. I would say 700ish and you start being competitive, with it increasing as your score increases.

MIT might like you as you have a different background than what they usual get applying to their program.

Focus on the GMAT and make sure you get strong letters of recommendation from your professors. Good luck.


Hey, thanks for the evaluation. My target for GMAT was ~730 - do you think that would give me a good shot at MIT?

Also, how would my profile fare at other Msc Finance programs, specifically Princeton and LSE? I've heard Princeton is the most competitive/selective of all finance programs so I'm a little doubtful whether or not I would stand a chance. Much thanks :)



730 would put you in the range with MIT. You will definitely be a competitive applicant.

Princeton is a different beast. Honestly, they seem to want people with wall street experience who want a quantitative degree from an IVY vs. an MBA. Take a look at their profile and resumes to get a feel.

LSE - all day. Any of their MSc programs you should not only be competitive in, but get into.
_________________

Master in Finance HQ
http://www.msfhq.com

Kudos [?]: 99 [1], given: 2

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 08 Jul 2017
Posts: 17

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 2

Re: Could anyone evaluate my profile for MIT Msc Finance? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Jul 2017, 08:47
MSFHQ wrote:
daftypatty wrote:
MSFHQ wrote:
McMaster is a good school and MIT admissions will know about it. GPA is strong and you have decent quant classes (although you might need to take one or two classes to meet the qualifications for MIT - they have a bootcamp that could satisfy this).

GMAT is going to be what is important though. I would say 700ish and you start being competitive, with it increasing as your score increases.

MIT might like you as you have a different background than what they usual get applying to their program.

Focus on the GMAT and make sure you get strong letters of recommendation from your professors. Good luck.


Hey, thanks for the evaluation. My target for GMAT was ~730 - do you think that would give me a good shot at MIT?

Also, how would my profile fare at other Msc Finance programs, specifically Princeton and LSE? I've heard Princeton is the most competitive/selective of all finance programs so I'm a little doubtful whether or not I would stand a chance. Much thanks :)



730 would put you in the range with MIT. You will definitely be a competitive applicant.

Princeton is a different beast. Honestly, they seem to want people with wall street experience who want a quantitative degree from an IVY vs. an MBA. Take a look at their profile and resumes to get a feel.

LSE - all day. Any of their MSc programs you should not only be competitive in, but get into.


Thank you, I will work really hard for my GMAT in that case. I'm planning to sit down for a November date - this won't affect my application for MIT since their apps are due in January, but it means that for schools like LSE and LBS, I will be applying for the 3rd round. Would this put me at a significant disadvantage for LSE & LBS? For LSE, I am considering applying to Msc Finance and Msc Management & Strategy ; for LBS, I am considering applying to MiM.

Are there are other top tier school programs you would recommend based on my profile?

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 2

Manager
Manager
User avatar
B
Joined: 22 Sep 2013
Posts: 168

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 4

Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Could anyone evaluate my profile for MIT Msc Finance? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Aug 2017, 06:38
Overall, your profile has quite some positive points-
Considering that you are targeting an MFin course, your courses (Economics & accounting) as well as your experience as an equity analyst come in handy.
Your GPA and work-experience are pretty impressive, and being an international student does give you some leverage.
Schools are keen on having a level of diversity in their class profiles, hence your bio-medical background acts as a differentiator for you.
However ,MSc in Finance courses are extremely competitive programs and hence your lack of a financial/quantitative background may turn out to be a challenge.
To prove yourself as a competitive candidate, you have to create a really strong pitch through your essay about
-Why do you want to switch to finance?
-What are your short term goals?
-How will the MSc.Finance take you closer to your short term goals?
With a 720+ GMAT score, you should have a good shot at some of the Top 20 B-Schools.
As far as MIT’s MSc in Finance program is concerned, you should know that it is one of the most sought-out B-Schools and has a paper thin acceptance rate.
So, make sure you have a very strong application to compete with thousands of MIT applicants.

If you feel you need help regarding the same, check out our Masters in Finance Essay editing services here: http://www.mim-essay.com/masters-finance-essay-editing/
_________________

Abhyank Srinet
Founder at http://www.MiM-Essay.com

MSc. in Management(MiM) Admission Consultants

Get consultation from graduates of HEC, ESCP, ESSEC, LBS & Duke

Feel free to message me, if you have any MiM/MSc. related questions or want a detailed Free profile evaluation

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 4

Re: Could anyone evaluate my profile for MIT Msc Finance?   [#permalink] 04 Aug 2017, 06:38
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Could anyone evaluate my profile for MIT Msc Finance?

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.