GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 22 Aug 2019, 02:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

CR Timings issue

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
B
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
CAT Tests
CR Timings issue  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Aug 2019, 05:45
Even after practicing alot of CR questions, my average time is stuck at 3mins for CR. Any particular strategy that I should adopt to cut down on my timings?
Please help.
CrackVerbal Verbal Expert
G
Re: CR Timings issue  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Aug 2019, 06:01
Hey Aadhar, getting through CR questions quickly can be quite a challenge to start with! Ideally, you should take just under 2 minutes per CR question on the GMAT, but this is obviously much harder to do organically than to simply solve the question with no time constraints. A couple of things can help you out however:

1. Always try to categorise the question first - It's essential to understand what the question requires you to do before diving in. Assumption/Strengthen/Weaken questions all require you to take the options as true statements and see how that impacts your conclusion, while Inference questions require you to question whether the options are true or not. This can require a lot of mental switching! However, if you figure out what the question type is early on, you will be clear in your thought process and rather than fighting a monster, you're just executing a bunch of steps.

2. Remember that the vast majority of GMAT CR questions can be solved by following just 5 steps. They are:
a) Read the question stem - 10s
b) Read the stimulus + ID the conclusion/what the author(or person mentioned) is trying to prove - 45s
c) Contextualise the argument/question so you know what kind of answer you're looking for - 15s
d) Eliminate ridiculous - 20s
e) Final Elimination - 30s

Once you recognise that CR questions are essentially just an execution of these five steps, the task becomes a lot more "paint by numbers" and you can set targets for how quickly you wanna finish questions.

- Matoo
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Show Tags

New post 08 Aug 2019, 10:50
Hi AadharGoeal,

You ask a great question and I’m happy to provide some advice, but first I’d like to learn more about your situation with the GMAT. I have some questions.

1) How many times have you taken the actual GMAT? Please list the dates on which you’ve taken the GMAT, the total scores, and the quant, verbal, and IR scores, as well as how you were feeling while taking the tests.

2) How many practice GMAT tests did you take? Please list the dates on which you’ve taken any practice GMATs, the total scores, and the quant, verbal, and IR scores, as well as how you were feeling while taking the tests. Also, please tell me where these tests came from (ex: mba.com).

3) Please describe how you studied. For how many hours a day did you study and for how many months? What resources did you use?

4) To what programs will you be applying? What are the deadlines for these programs?

5) By when would you LIKE to take the GMAT? By when MUST you take the GMAT?

6) For how many hours a day, on average, can you study between now and your next GMAT?

7) In your opinion, how prepared were you for the GMAT? It's important that you answer this question as objectively as possible.

8) Is there anything else that I should know? Anything else you’d like to tell me?

Scott Woodbury-Stewart

Founder and CEO

Scott@TargetTestPrep.com
TTP - Target Test Prep Logo
122 Reviews

5-star rated online GMAT quant
self study course

See why Target Test Prep is the top rated GMAT quant course on GMAT Club. Read Our Reviews

If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Kudos" button.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
D
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 640 Q47 V30
GPA: 3.97
WE: Investment Banking (Investment Banking)

Show Tags

New post 08 Aug 2019, 11:20
Focus on the accuracy first..The more and more you practice CR questions, you keep on identifying the patterns and hence your timing improves. Also, practice only official GMAT and LSAT questions.
Re: CR Timings issue   [#permalink] 08 Aug 2019, 11:20

CR Timings issue

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics