Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 17:02 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 17:02

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 575 [0]
Given Kudos: 156
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: MBA and Beyond
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [0]
Given Kudos: 80
Shantanu: Sharma
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
WE:Other (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 62
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Send PM
Re: Darden Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Naseef wrote:
Requesting a profile review

*Background*

Overview:
I’m looking to bring a strong sense of purpose in my career by transitioning fully to social impact. I’ve always wanted to go into social impact full-time, but I needed to build a niche and valuable skillset before doing so. Regarding marketable skills, I feel ready now, but I need an MBA to help me transition.

Work experience:
I'm currently a Product Manager in Internet Business in a Multinational Telecommunications company. I have 5.5 years of full-time experience, all in Telecommunications product management. The firm I work for is one of the top ones in my country, Bangladesh, and is a part of the 10th largest mobile network operator in the world. I've gotten regular, formal awards (Marketing Award for six quarters out of the twelve quarters of my employment till date + Employee of the month multiple times) at work and my portfolio has increased with time. I can back my achievements with solid numbers.

Some career highlights
- Successful completion of 1-month international assignment & placement in HQ
- Former Management Trainee with fast track progression to Managerial role, within only 2.5 years of my career
- Project Manager for the first telecom merger in Bangladesh
- Product Manager for Facebook's Freebasics program in Bangladesh, which focuses on giving internet connectivity to the bottom of the pyramid, launching it for the first time in my country

On the side, I'm a director at my family business which focuses on government and non-profit sector consulting. I do business advisory for non-profits, and one of these non-profits was founded by a Harvard Kennedy alum and an Oxford Said MBA alum. My area of expertise is "mobile tech & communications for development".

Extracurriculars:
During my undergrad, I won multiple international & national awards in social entrepreneurship competitions. One of that was GSEC organized by the University of Washington's Foster School of Business. My team had beat out MIT in that competition. I was also awarded by Nobel Peace Laureate Professor Muhammad Yunus, for winning Yunus Centre's social entrepreneurship idea competition. I've coordinated nationwide charity drives back in my undergrad, 100+ people reporting to me.

Other coursework:
I finished MBA Math and I scored 100% in all of the MBA Math courses.

Nationality: Bangladeshi

Sex: Male

*Stats*

GRE & TOEFL Score:
My GRE total is 328, with a breakdown of 169 in Verbal, 159 in Quant, 4.5 in AW. I'm also done with my TOEFL with a 113/120.
I plan to resit the GRE to raise my Quant, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to make the time for it.

Undergrad GPA:
I graduated from the best business school in my country. My alma mater has alums in top business schools all over the world, including the business schools that I plan to apply to.

My 3.13/4 CGPA (Major- Finance) is measly though. I dived into ECAs during my first two years, achieving great success at the expense of my academics. Reprioritized and did very well in academics during my third year. During my fourth year, I contracted Hepatitis E just before my final exams, and my CGPA took a nosedive. My last year’s GPA was 3/4 versus my third year’s GPA of 3.7/4. I had the choice of postponing my studies for a year or taking a bad hit to my CGPA, & I chose the latter due to financial reasons. Anyways, even after taking my horrible fourth year in account, my last two years' CGPA is 3.35/4, so there is an upward trend there.

*MBA Info*

Goal of MBA:
Working in social impact on the side has actually inspired me to enter social impact full-time post-MBA, perhaps joining my family's business on a full-time basis, and/or starting a sister organization to the family business focused on my area of expertise. My area of expertise, Telecommunications, is very important for social impact in my country, Bangladesh. Our internet connectivity is almost entirely mobile communications dependant.

Working in a large private organization has not given me the training I need to embark on an entrepreneurial venture or engage full-time in expanding a family business. I need an MBA to make me ready.

Hi Naseef,

I see that you have posted on several b-school threads. Are you planning on applying to all of these programs? If so, my advice to you will be todeepen your research on your target MBA programs and apply to 5-7 of them. Understanding the curriculum,the employment data and the extra curricular opportunities in your field of interest is a crucial part of b-school research. Do spend time on this and pare down your list.

I think you have a very strong track record in product management and looking at your goals in social impact, I'd hope to see something equally strong- a few intense stories about how you made impact through your social impact consulting assignments. Perhaps there could be a way to merge both your experiences - technology is needed in every industry and it's worth exploring how you can use it in your social ventures to achieve scale. This also directly aligns with your area of focus- mobile tech & communications for development.

Secondly, I'd like to see a strong reason for why you need an MBA now. you have the option of joining the family consultancy and immersing yourself in the social sector full-time before embarking upon an MBA. So it will be important to know what challenges have you already faced in your assignments that have made you realize that now is the right time for an MBA?

Other than that, your profile is good. I am especially impressed with your undergrad ECAs that led to an award by the man himself, Mr. Yunus.

feel free to reach out for a deeper consultation.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Darden Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Background and nationality: US White Male Veteran
Undergrad Information: Public 4 year state school (2.9 GPA, took double courseload and graduated in 2 years)
GMAT: 760
Work experience and leadership: Special Operations Intelligence while in Military and afterwards as a civilian. Four deployments, three to combat zones. Experience with international politics
Community and others: Interesting volunteer experience (International SPCA)
Post MBA goals: Consulting with long term plans to transition back to public sector
Anything else?: Strong academic performance in military schools after undergrad (ranked first in class for several technical schools, selected for SOF community, etc). Good story to explain poor GPA during undergrad. Strong leadership experience via combat deployments. Intent is to end up in a DOD federal leadership position with intent to help fix diversity problems in the military, short term goal MBB consulting

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V38
Send PM
Background and nationality- Indian male, 24 year old, B.Tech

Undergrad Information- B.Tech from Delhi College Of Engineering, GPA- 4 (as per WES)

GMAT: 730 (Q50, V38)

Work experience and leadership: 26 months ( Currently at Paytm Mobiquest for past 4 months, earlier at Urban Company for 8 months as Category Manager (General Management role), and as Junior Research Analyst at McKinsey & Co. for 14 months)
In McKinsey, handled international clients, successfully piloted a new project for South East Asia.
At the time of joining, work ex will be around 36 months

Community and others - Entrepreneurship stint during College (funded by Government of India), Lead volunteer and OC member at Startup Jalsa (India's biggest startup conference) for 5 years, Working with a local NGO in Chandigarh during the times of COVID, Logistics manager for an event called 'The Largest Plantation' which made a world record of planting 300,000 trees in 2 hours near Delhi

Post MBA goals - Short term : PM at a tech-giant (Apple, Microsoft, Google), Long-term: moving back to India and starting my own venture

Anything else- National Level badminton level in school, several olympiads winner in school, Core OC member at college's literature festival
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [0]
Given Kudos: 606
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V41
GRE 1: Q166 V167

GRE 2: Q166 V167
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Hello GMAT Club Community,

Wanted some advice on my profile and my admit chances for Darden:

27 year old (while matriculating) Indian Male (NON-ENGINEER).

GMAT: 710 (Q47, V41, IR4)

Education:
10th: 90%
12th: 86.5% (Humanities)

Undergrad GPA: 3.3
Bachelor's in Media & Communication from Symbiosis Intl. University (#1 Ranked program in the country)
Specialization: Advertising.

Work Ex: 4 years, 8 months at the time of joining.
Year 0-2: Worked as a copywriter & creative strategist at a digital advertising firm in Mumbai
Highlights -
- Successfully launched the first advertising campaign for the official Swedish Tourism board in India.
- Successfully set up and launched a leading health insurance brand in India online.
- Won the coveted Abby Awards for Creativity & Innovation (Indian equivalent of Cannes) twice.
- Won multiple clients through pitches, contributing significantly to company revenue.

Year 2-3
- Pivoted from a creative to an analytical role, starting as a Business Analyst at a leading ad-tech & performance marketing firm in India (Merkle Sokrati)
- Got promoted in 7 months, handled spends worth $200k a month, across verticals such as E-commerce, OTT, FinTech & BFSI.
- Mentored 3-4 different people with successful results.
- Won multiple clients through pitches, contributing significantly to company revenue.

Year 3 - present
- Shifted to a Growth & Marketing (Designation: Performance Marketing Manager) role at one of India's fastest-growing FinTech startups (valued at $300 million in less than 2 years), funded by Sequoia.
- The company provides financial management softwares to SMBs across India completely free of cost.

Extra-Curricular & Community
- 2 2-month Internships at NGOs (Teach for India & Door Step School)
- Sports Captain in school & college, representing both at school & district levels.

Post-MBA Goals:
Strategy Consulting.
Throughout my varied roles so far, I have served clients across levels in different capacities, with highly successful results (can get stellar recommendations from them)
With my experience as a creative strategist + analyst, I bring a balanced combination of creativity & analytics, and I feel i would be well-suited to a consulting role.

I have 12 months before submitting my application. Would love to hear about my chances of getting an admit (I am open to applying in Early action), or how I could bolster my application (particularly the quant aspect) in this period.

Would an HBS CORe course help here?
CEO
CEO
Send PM
Expert Reply
chirag95 wrote:

Education:

Bachelor's in Media & Communication from Symbiosis Intl. University (#1 Ranked program in the country)

Year 0-2: Worked as a copywriter & creative strategist at a digital advertising firm in Mumbai
Highlights -
- Successfully launched the first advertising campaign for the official Swedish Tourism board in India.
- Successfully set up and launched a leading health insurance brand in India online.
- Won the coveted Abby Awards for Creativity & Innovation (Indian equivalent of Cannes) twice.

Year 2-3
- Pivoted from a creative to an analytical role, starting as a Business Analyst at a leading ad-tech & performance marketing firm in India (Merkle Sokrati)
- Got promoted in 7 months, handled spends worth $200k a month, across verticals such as E-commerce, OTT, FinTech & BFSI.

Year 3 - present
- Shifted to a Growth & Marketing (Designation: Performance Marketing Manager) role at one of India's fastest-growing FinTech startups (valued at $300 million in less than 2 years), funded by Sequoia.
- The company provides financial management softwares to SMBs across India completely free of cost.

- Sports Captain in school & college, representing both at school & district levels.

Post-MBA Goals:
Strategy Consulting.
Throughout my varied roles so far, I have served clients across levels in different capacities, with highly successful results (can get stellar recommendations from them)
With my experience as a creative strategist + analyst, I bring a balanced combination of creativity & analytics, and I feel i would be well-suited to a consulting role.

I have 12 months before submitting my application. Would love to hear about my chances of getting an admit (I am open to applying in Early action), or how I could bolster my application (particularly the quant aspect) in this period.

Hi Chirag,

Overall nice profile!

I like the move from advertising to analytics and marketing. Darden is placing a lot of importance on analytics also waiving off GMAT score requirement if applicants have a solid analytics background.
I am a little confused about your MBA plans. Are you planning to wait until next year before you put in an application? If so, may I know the reason? If you already have 4 years' experience, I think you can go ahead and apply this year itself.

Also, I will need to understand your reasons for an HBx Core before advising you on it

Feel free to ask us for a free profile evaluation. You can fill this form: https://mbadecoder.com/services/free-profile-evaluation/
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2063 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Expert Reply
Naseef wrote:
Requesting a profile review

*Background*

Overview:
I’m looking to bring a strong sense of purpose in my career by transitioning fully to social impact. I’ve always wanted to go into social impact full-time, but I needed to build a niche and valuable skillset before doing so. Regarding marketable skills, I feel ready now, but I need an MBA to help me transition.

Work experience:
I'm currently a Product Manager in Internet Business in a Multinational Telecommunications company. I have 5.5 years of full-time experience, all in Telecommunications product management. The firm I work for is one of the top ones in my country, Bangladesh, and is a part of the 10th largest mobile network operator in the world. I've gotten regular, formal awards (Marketing Award for six quarters out of the twelve quarters of my employment till date + Employee of the month multiple times) at work and my portfolio has increased with time. I can back my achievements with solid numbers.

Some career highlights
- Successful completion of 1-month international assignment & placement in HQ
- Former Management Trainee with fast track progression to Managerial role, within only 2.5 years of my career
- Project Manager for the first telecom merger in Bangladesh
- Product Manager for Facebook's Freebasics program in Bangladesh, which focuses on giving internet connectivity to the bottom of the pyramid, launching it for the first time in my country

On the side, I'm a director at my family business which focuses on government and non-profit sector consulting. I do business advisory for non-profits, and one of these non-profits was founded by a Harvard Kennedy alum and an Oxford Said MBA alum. My area of expertise is "mobile tech & communications for development".

Extracurriculars:
During my undergrad, I won multiple international & national awards in social entrepreneurship competitions. One of that was GSEC organized by the University of Washington's Foster School of Business. My team had beat out MIT in that competition. I was also awarded by Nobel Peace Laureate Professor Muhammad Yunus, for winning Yunus Centre's social entrepreneurship idea competition. I've coordinated nationwide charity drives back in my undergrad, 100+ people reporting to me.

Other coursework:
I finished MBA Math and I scored 100% in all of the MBA Math courses.

Nationality: Bangladeshi

Sex: Male

*Stats*

GRE & TOEFL Score:
My GRE total is 328, with a breakdown of 169 in Verbal, 159 in Quant, 4.5 in AW. I'm also done with my TOEFL with a 113/120.
I plan to resit the GRE to raise my Quant, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to make the time for it.

Undergrad GPA:
I graduated from the best business school in my country. My alma mater has alums in top business schools all over the world, including the business schools that I plan to apply to.

My 3.13/4 CGPA (Major- Finance) is measly though. I dived into ECAs during my first two years, achieving great success at the expense of my academics. Reprioritized and did very well in academics during my third year. During my fourth year, I contracted Hepatitis E just before my final exams, and my CGPA took a nosedive. My last year’s GPA was 3/4 versus my third year’s GPA of 3.7/4. I had the choice of postponing my studies for a year or taking a bad hit to my CGPA, & I chose the latter due to financial reasons. Anyways, even after taking my horrible fourth year in account, my last two years' CGPA is 3.35/4, so there is an upward trend there.

*MBA Info*

Goal of MBA:
Working in social impact on the side has actually inspired me to enter social impact full-time post-MBA, perhaps joining my family's business on a full-time basis, and/or starting a sister organization to the family business focused on my area of expertise. My area of expertise, Telecommunications, is very important for social impact in my country, Bangladesh. Our internet connectivity is almost entirely mobile communications dependant.

Working in a large private organization has not given me the training I need to embark on an entrepreneurial venture or engage full-time in expanding a family business. I need an MBA to make me ready.

Thanks for the fulsome profile eval request. It’s so much easier to do these when there is more background information than just stats. Here is some feedback based on the info you provided:

If you already have a Bangladeshi network at top global business schools thanks to your undergraduate connections, milk it as much as possible. Connect with friends and their friends over linked in and have as many calls with them as possible so you can reference these conversations (along with names and alum years) in your applications. That signals to schools that you have 1). “Done the work” and 2) already have the network to be successful in business, which is especially critical in emerging markets like Banglaesh.
Don’t underestimate your EC connections. If you have been a leader in ECs that have been founded by Oxford and HKS alums, you should apply to Said and HBS and get those guys to write you rec letters if possible. You could potentially also apply to HKS as well, given your social impact aspirations, as they have consortium joint degree programs with HBS, Dartmouth Tuck, and Wharton.
You are correct that your GPA may be a headwind, especially considering your fiercely competitive demographic. However, your hepatitis story is almost tailor-made for the “do you have anything else you want us to consider about your application” type prompts that almost every business school has to potentially explain a poor GPA. Just remember that if you choose to answer that question with the hepatitis explanation behind lower grades, make sure to “get in and get out” quickly, don’t dwell on this response or get “woe is me” in your response. It should be short and sweet and to the point.
I’d worry less about your GPA if your GRE were higher. In general, you want to have GPA and GRE/GMAT on par with/higher than a school’s average. For your competitive demo, averages are often 1 or more standard deviations above the average. Still, your GPA and GRE aren’t barriers to entry, though you should try to get that GRE up if you possibly can, especially the quant, which is absurdly high for your demo. You should also attempt the GMAT. Schools like Darden (and most top tier US b-schools) accept both, so you should study for and submit the exam that you favor the most.
If you already have 5+ years of work experience post-college, I’d avoid focusing too much on your college-years for EC material on your resume and essays. You can include some of this, but if all/most of your outside-of-work leadership and achievement is college-era, then it’s going to look like a red-flag to AdComs. The good news is that it appears that you have a lot of extracurricular leadership experience since college, so you should have some ripe material to focus on there. Whatever you decide to write about re extracurricular leadership, you need to focus on YOUR INDIVIDUAL IMPACT which you should try to quantify if possible (e.g., number of people helped, funds raised, costs saved, efficiencies gained, etc.).
Social impact is a more popular pre-MBA ambition than it is a post-MBA employment reality. This is because the really good jobs in this space (e.g., corporate social responsibility gigs at large corporations, Gates Foundation, Acumen Fund, etc.) are insanely competitive. The work that *isn’t* insanely competitive is often low-paying. Another reason why Social Impact can be a hard sell to AdComs is because they are screening for imminent employability. Schools get dinged by U.S. News and World Report and Forbes and the Economist and the Financial Times rankings-wise when an increasing % of their students don’t find employment within 3 months post-graduation. They are also dinged for lower average salaries. It’s no coincidence that the schools on top of any of these tables - H/S/W - have some of the highest numbers for % employability and salaries.
The way to develop a winning Social Impact strategic positioning is to have a *tangible* plan for your career. What role in what industry and at what institution do you want to target immediately post-MBA. This is the level of specificity you need in your application. You also need to have a water-tight rationale as to why you’ll be an excellent fit for the role you are espousing interest in and what your long-term ambitions are (again, you need to be specific here) and how the immediate post-MBA goal will help you get there. It’s okay if some of your credentials for your ambitions for the future are derived from your EC work rather than your day job in telecommunications. The MBA Candidate Podcast by Adam Miller is a show that interviews non-traditional candidates (e.g. lots of social impact people) who want to go to b-school. So it’s sort of the reverse path as you. You might be interested in checking it out for some good material to write about: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/t ... 1384253032
Another tactic, which I’d argue with the limited data available here might have higher rates of success than a purely social-impact focus, is to apply to b-school with a family business focus. Business schools really like family business because people who espouse this interest are imminently employable and, depending on the size and scope of the business, can be very useful for the global network. But you have to be careful with this story and not come across as seeming entitled or unqualified or making the essays about the business/founder and not about YOU (all of these are common pitfalls of family business applications). You can have your strategic positioning aligned with both your family business and ultimately social impact as well. I’ve worked on lots of essays that do this well. Family owned, private enterprises have the latitude to make more of a social impact because they aren’t beholden to quarterly earnings and wallstreet the way large corporations that your peers will be working at would be, and their investors are often more patient and involved in the local community. Just because you write about your family business interest in your essays doesn’t mean you have to work there after you matriculate, lots of people change their minds about their career plans based on the opportunities presented in business schools. The point is to get in with a story that shows you know who you are and what you want and how you are going to get it.
With 5.5 years of experience, you should apply this year all things equal. You will be on the older side if you apply next year. If you wait to apply, you won’t necessarily be disqualifying old, but the correlation between acceptance and age starts to go down around 28 yo for top American schools. International schools like Cambridge, Oxford and INSEAD have slightly higher average years of experience.

Your strategic positioning will make or break your application, especially given your super competitive demo. Keep that in mind as you sketch out how you want your branding to come off for your app. If talking to a consultant about strategic positioning (and potentially, how to marry your edge with the family business with your passion for social impact in your essays) might be helpful, feel free to sign up for a free consultation here: https://admissionado.com/free-consultation/
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2063 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Expert Reply
chirag95 wrote:

Education:

Highlights -

Year 2-3

Year 3 - present

Post-MBA Goals:
Strategy Consulting.

I probably don’t need to tell you that you come from a fiercely competitive demographic, though it does help somewhat, depending on your strategic positioning, that you aren’t an engineer working in tech. You are going to look more creative than that on paper. Your GMAT will appear low for your demo, though, at top 20 US schools. You are close to the Darden average, but Indian male successful applicants usually score higher than the school-wide averages for most US schools (it’s an unfair reflection of the number of super-qualified Indian men who apply).

It would help if you had studied or worked abroad, but the fact that you have worked on some high-profile projects with name recognition of investors (e.g. Sequoia) will also help. You need to make your global lens known in your application.

You have some good promotion stories that will make for good essays if you sell them the right way. It also appears that you’ve taken some risk in your career by moving around, which will be differentiating for your demo as well.

It’s fine if you wait a year, but you should know that acceptances are negatively correlated with age over 28 for most top US schools like Darden. So I wouldn’t wait more than a year to apply. Still, if you could get that GMAT up to a 750 or something by waiting a year, then I’d say it’s worth it. This will be an especially competitive applications cycle given the global downturn and COVID. I’d try to improve your GMAT score or attempt the GRE and see if you do better on that one vs. taking a Harvard online course. I’m not sure how much that would help you.

It appears that you have good ECs, but it’s going to look like a red-flag if both of these were college-era. You need to demonstrate some leadership outside of work and account for the time between college graduation and today to show that you care about your community and you have passions and hobbies (this signals that you will be an involved member of the student body - the type of person the adcom wants in the school community - and that you will be an active alum who will bring glory and positive press to the school after graduation). If you are waiting to apply until next year, you still have time to run for a local board position or assume a leadership role in a local non-profit.

The strategy consulting piece of this makes the least sense, frankly. Why do you want to do strategy consulting? You should know that management consulting is one of the most commonly espoused post-MBA career goals (depending on the school, it may be *the most* commonly espoused career goal). You aren’t immediately qualified for management consulting today. That doesn’t mean that you are *unqualified* for it by any means, but you won’t be a shoo-in at McKinsey based on your stats. If you want to write about consulting as your career focus, you need to make the case for *why* you want to work at Bain, McKinsey, BCG post-MBA and how that aligns with whatever your long-term goals are. I don’t think consulting is a *bad* strategic positioning for you, but I’d also explore tech opportunities, which abound at Darden and for which you’d be more imminently qualified and I think you could potentially make a stronger case for yourself in those roles.

Given your competitive demo, your strategic positioning will make or break you. You’ll blend into the pile of Indian men seeking M/B/B roles otherwise. If talking about a winning strategic positioning given your unique candidate with a top-tier MBA alum consultant may be helpful to you, feel free to sign up for a free consultation here: https://admissionado.com/free-consultation/
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 43
GPA: 3.33
Send PM
Hi,

Would really appreciate a profile evaluation folks.

Male - Pakistan, 29. Will be 30 by the time I start the program next Fall.

BBA, 3rd Ranked B-School in the country GPA 3.3/4
MBA, From a Top 2 business school in the country, GPA 3.06/4
GMAT - 750
CFA Level 1 and 2 passed.
I am hoping my GMAT and CFA Level 1 and 2 can compensate for the lower GPA?
Extra Curr: Have been President of various societies in university, and involved in a lot of charity work as well. Also have been the founding member of official supporters club of an England based football team in Pakistan. Years of handwork and pure dedication have gone into it, and the community is still running strong.

WE: 5 years by Fall 21 (All in Pakistan)

16 months with a Digital Media Start Up. Started off as a Marketing Analyst, and got a promotion within 6 months.
Associate Markets & Deals, 9 months with a Fortune 500
Financial Sales Analyst, US based Forbes Cloud 100 company. 7 months.
15 months at a gaming start up. Here I was responsible for scaling the product and the entire strategy formulation.
Currently working as an Account Manager for a US based Insurance Company in their Pakistan office. Just started 2 months ago.

My biggest concern is the hopping I did in my 2nd and 3rd job (9+7 months) and if it would come back to haunt me? I blame my ambitious self for it, since I really felt I couldn't grow in those roles, and switched jobs frequently. I would also be willing to wait another year and start in Fall 2022 instead if my job consistency would be a problem for the adcoms.

Reasons for doing a 2nd MBA are simple. The Pakistan MBA experience happened when I was too young. Most of what I learned in class was pure theory that I couldn't connect with, as there was no work experience to set the context. Students, especially in Pakistan jump on the MBA bandwagon right after completing their undergraduate degree, and I did the same. It is also very common for universities to select students for their MBA program with no prior work experience.

Secondly, and most importantly, while I have worked in international firms in Pakistan, my aspirations are no longer limited to Pakistan only. The 2-year Pakistan MBA degree hasn't helped in taking the leap into the international arena. Hence, an MBA from a top global B-school would be passport to a truly global career.

Post MBA goal is to get into Tech or Management Consulting ideally in London or Dubai.

Will really appreciate honest feedback. Thanks in advance!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Kudos
Hello GMAT Club Community, I'm currently preparing for GMAT and will apply for Darden Future Year Scholars Program in April 2021. I really want to know if there are still chances to be admitted with a 2.9 GPA if I can score 740+ at my GMAT.

21-year-old Chinese Male

Education:
Fudan University(ranked 3rd in China), French Language and Literature (GPA:2.9😢)

Professional Experience:
Internships at 2 start-ups as product operation specialist and strategic investment analyst
Internships at 2 venture funds as investment analyst
Summer Platform Product Manager at Alibaba Group (return offer extended)
Founding member of a tech media subscribed by best Chinese entrepreneurs

Leadership Experience:
Vice President of Fudan Future Career Association, led a team of 15, responsible for social media operation

Post-MBA goals:
I will start my career at Alibaba Group as a platform product manager ( I don't know if US business schools recognize this company)
short term: In-house strategist at a global tech company's great China or Singapore office
Long term: venture ( entrepreneur or venture capitalist)

Thanks for your time!
MBA and Beyond Consulting
Status:MBA Admissions Consulting from INSEAD, Wharton and Columbia graduates
Affiliations: INSEAD and Harvard
Own Kudos [?]: 350 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi PatrickC,

First of all, I believe if you are able to score a 740 GMAT, your low GPA would not be a huge problem and it anyway, can not be deal-breaker. We have people scoring GMAT around 650 and still making it to top programs. So, I say, focus on what you can do now i.e. your GMAT and bring out the best from other aspects of your application. Also, you may explain this low GPA if you have some reasonable explanations for the same. Your professional experience, on the surface, looks good with some great things (like working in Alibaba and being subscribed by top entrepreneurs) exhibiting great leadership as well. I would also like to know your ECs and other involvements if any? So, overall, it looks good but the most important part of an application is how you build your unique story and how you communicate your experiences. If it helps you, we recently helped an Indian candidate (over-represented background as you are) with 690 GMAT, shortlisted at LBS (Have a look at application journey). So, why can't you make it? We are delighted to hear your story and happy to guide for Darden and help you understand the school better. Feel free to book a free session with us as per your convenience.

Cheers!
Kashish Garg,
Community Manager, MBA and Beyond

On behalf of,
Shantanu Sharma,
Founder and Admissions Consultant, MBA and Beyond
Success stories and Real essays
Email: shantanu@mbaandbeyond.com
Linkedin

PatrickC wrote:
Hello GMAT Club Community, I'm currently preparing for GMAT and will apply for Darden Future Year Scholars Program in April 2021. I really want to know if there are still chances to be admitted with a 2.9 GPA if I can score 740+ at my GMAT.

21-year-old Chinese Male

Education:
Fudan University(ranked 3rd in China), French Language and Literature (GPA:2.9😢)

Professional Experience:
Internships at 2 start-ups as product operation specialist and strategic investment analyst
Internships at 2 venture funds as investment analyst
Summer Platform Product Manager at Alibaba Group (return offer extended)
Founding member of a tech media subscribed by best Chinese entrepreneurs

Leadership Experience:
Vice President of Fudan Future Career Association, led a team of 15, responsible for social media operation

Post-MBA goals:
I will start my career at Alibaba Group as a platform product manager ( I don't know if US business schools recognize this company)
short term: In-house strategist at a global tech company's great China or Singapore office
Long term: venture ( entrepreneur or venture capitalist)

Thanks for your time!

Originally posted by MBAandBeyond on 09 Oct 2020, 21:47.
Last edited by MBAandBeyond on 19 Feb 2021, 23:17, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
I am an Indian and currently work as an Associate in the Corporate Finance and transaction advisory team of Lodha Capital Markets. I am responsible for deal sourcing and deal execution in industries such as Food & Beverages, Retail, Media, Entertainment and Sports, Healthcare, and Online gaming. I am required to source potential companies that are planning to raise Private Equity growth capital or are planning for Mergers and Acquisitions. I have worked on five transactions at the firm; one for the acquisition of ~€1.15M organic packaged food company, a sale and leaseback transaction of a real estate property, a potential (~€8.5M) acquisition of a sports team in one of the top sports leagues of India, a fund-raise of €23M for one of the top restaurants in India and €35M acquisition of a bakery products manufacturer.

Under graduation - Bachelor of Commerce - GPA 6.5/10
Certification and programs - CFA Level 3 candidate, ACCA
GMAT: 670

Work experience:

5 years in financial management and investment banking
1 year of entrepreneurship experience

Post an MBA , I wish to work as an Associate with a Buyout Private Equity firm or as an Investment Professional in the Corporate Development team of large Sports or Online Gaming company. As I move up the ladder, I want to be responsible for my fund and investments. Such a role would also help me build global connections, business management and investment management skills. In the long run, I want to start my venture in the sports industry, creating a sustainable business ecosystem for developing grassroots level sports in underdeveloped nations.

International experience and Leadership activities
Having grown up in Oman, I was brought up in a very multi-cultural and diverse country. The environment that I experienced was encouraging and peace-loving, allowing me to rise above the everyday struggles and develop a strong personality through my engagement in sports. During my formative years, I participated in three international cricket tournaments, two national swimming tournaments and five inter-gulf swimming tournaments.

In 2016, I co-founded a brand called 'Live-A-Sport', an online aggregator platform of sports facilities and coaching academies. I ran the venture for a year, and on-boarded sports academies and sports facilities in Ahmedabad, India.

I also enjoy teaching and have consistently worked for ~5 years in teaching kids from age 5 – 14 from underprivileged areas in India. I have been part of an NGO named TIDE (Together in Education and Development), and experiences from this role have humbled me from time to time.

My academic scores such as the GMAT and the undergraduate score are weak because I spent most of time during my under graduation preparing for professional exams such as the ACCA and CFA.

Could you please advise whether my profile would be a good fit at Darden?

Thanks,
Vatsal
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1586 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Vatsiboy wrote:
I am an Indian and currently work as an Associate in the Corporate Finance and transaction advisory team of Lodha Capital Markets. I am responsible for deal sourcing and deal execution in industries such as Food & Beverages, Retail, Media, Entertainment and Sports, Healthcare, and Online gaming. I am required to source potential companies that are planning to raise Private Equity growth capital or are planning for Mergers and Acquisitions. I have worked on five transactions at the firm; one for the acquisition of ~€1.15M organic packaged food company, a sale and leaseback transaction of a real estate property, a potential (~€8.5M) acquisition of a sports team in one of the top sports leagues of India, a fund-raise of €23M for one of the top restaurants in India and €35M acquisition of a bakery products manufacturer.

Work experience:

Post an MBA , I wish to work as an Associate with a Buyout Private Equity firm or as an Investment Professional in the Corporate Development team of large Sports or Online Gaming company. As I move up the ladder, I want to be responsible for my fund and investments. Such a role would also help me build global connections, business management and investment management skills. In the long run, I want to start my venture in the sports industry, creating a sustainable business ecosystem for developing grassroots level sports in underdeveloped nations.

Having grown up in Oman, I was brought up in a very multi-cultural and diverse country. The environment that I experienced was encouraging and peace-loving, allowing me to rise above the everyday struggles and develop a strong personality through my engagement in sports. During my formative years, I participated in three international cricket tournaments, two national swimming tournaments and five inter-gulf swimming tournaments.

In 2016, I co-founded a brand called 'Live-A-Sport', an online aggregator platform of sports facilities and coaching academies. I ran the venture for a year, and on-boarded sports academies and sports facilities in Ahmedabad, India.

I also enjoy teaching and have consistently worked for ~5 years in teaching kids from age 5 – 14 from underprivileged areas in India. I have been part of an NGO named TIDE (Together in Education and Development), and experiences from this role have humbled me from time to time.

My academic scores such as the GMAT and the undergraduate score are weak because I spent most of time during my under graduation preparing for professional exams such as the ACCA and CFA.

Thanks,
Vatsal

Hi Vatsal [@Vatsiboy],

Your overall profile is pretty good, and your goals are consistent with your choices. Even the GPA is workable.

It is your GMAT score that is the area of focus here. You will need to increase it by 40+ points to have a decent chance at Darden. Admissions (especially this year, but in general too for Darden) are quite competitive, and a 670 significantly lowers your chances. At this point, we would suggest that you use the next 2 months to prepare to retake the GMAT, raise your score, and then look at the January deadline for Darden.
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Vatsiboy,

Your profile looks great. Your undergrad GPA and GMAT are weaker but with other aspects of your profile being strong and some academically rigorous courses like CFA and ACCA, it can be compensated. But if you do not want to leave any stone unturned (and you feel you can increase GMAT considerably), you should go for a retake. GMAT can never be a deal-breaker and so, take this decision thinking over all the aspects.

Now, your work-ex, on the surface, looks great with your knowledge across industries and some good impact. I believe the past 6 years of experience can bring good stories. Also, your post-MBA goals make sense and are in alignment with your hobbies and prior career. Your startup is an evidence that you've tried achieving your goals through other measures and it will make your case stronger if you're able to communicate how this start-up experience has helped shape your goals and make MBA a relevant and almost only good decision to achieve those goals.

Your leadership and international experience seem great and I think you can bring a really interesting person on the apps through these experiences plus your teaching experience seems really a mature one. So, overall, I feel you do have a good shot at Darden. We would be delighted to discuss your profile at length and help you in better decision-making for your GMAT conundrum. Feel free to book a free session with us as per your convenience.

Cheers!
Kashish Garg,

On behalf of,
Shantanu Sharma,
Success stories and Real essays
Linkedin

Vatsiboy wrote:

Work experience:

Thanks,
Vatsal
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 321 [0]
Given Kudos: 166
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GPA: 4
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Lower IR score will not have much effect because your quant score is good.
Prepare well for your essays.
Best wishes.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 61
Concentration: General Management, Leadership
GMAT 1: 650 Q47 V33
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V36
Send PM
Hi all,

Request to evaluate my profile for the college.
Mentioned below are my details.
Also, if someone could guide me which other schools (Outside India)
should I be targetting as per my profile,it would of huge help.
Thanks in advance.

Personal Details: 32 M (Indian)

Academic:

GMAT- 710 ( Q-49, V-36)
B.E. (Mechanical Engineering) from Delhi College of Engineering(Ranked in Top 10 Colleges in India for Engineering)- 68.4%(2010)(Top 10% in Batch)
12th (CBSE)- 67.6%
10th (ICSE)- 92.4%(District Topper)
Ex-student of Super-30,Patna

Professional:

8 years of work experience - 5 years in Bharat Petroleum Corporation Ltd.(Maharatna Public Sector Unit)

Product and Application developement of Industrial and Automotive Lubricants through market research,lube surveys,field trials of new and existing products.
Resolution of field complaints in co-ordination with sales team across India.
Obtaining product certifications and approvals from customers.
Lab management through co-ordination with quality and assurance team.
Co-ordination with Sales/Marketing team to achieve business plan.
Conducting technical training sessions for top OEMs and partners.
Deputed as the one of the first Techno-Commercial Managers in the organisational restructuring.
One of the top performers on fast track promotions.
Briefly involved in role of Sales and Marketing in Northern India.

3 Years with a Lubricant Service(Oil/gas sector)Company- VAS Tribo

Supervision of Maintenance activities related to Lubrication at plants.
Monitoring of field complaints and resolution by providing technical support.
Consulting in Lubrication Program developement for various clients across automotive,cement,paper,fertilisers industries.
Conducting Training sessions for customers and developing Sector-specific training modules for industries.
Co-ordination with Noria,USA our USA Partners and German Global Team for Lubricant Testing and conducting training sessions.
Co-ordinating with Sales and Marketing team to achieve business plan.

Trainings/Certifications:

Advanced Machinery Lubrication by Noria Corporation.
Startup India Learning Program By Invest India, Government Of India
Strategy Consulting Virtual Experience Program by Boston Consulting Group (BCG)
Crash Course in Data Science by John Hopkins University SAIS Online.

Extra-curriculars:

Author in India's only Lubrication and Reliability magazine.
Inter-SBU Cricket Tournament player at BPCL.
Volunteer Teacher at Super-30 Patna
Interest in Foreign Diplomacy and International politics.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.5
WE:Information Technology (Retail Banking)
Send PM
27 year old Indian woman here.

Stats

GMAT Score: 740 (Q:50, V:40, 97 percentile)

Undergrad GPA: 8/10

Grad GPA: 6.7/7 (2nd in a class of 120)

Why I want an MBA: I have experience in IT/Finance and want to pivot into Strategy Consulting or General Management and am keen on an international study experience.

Why I want one now: I have always had an interest in the the process management space. I have been working as a business analyst where I am part of the implementation of a digital strategy in the organisation for over 3 years which led me to an interest in strategy in general. I want to learn and explore this new but related field.

Work experience: 3.5 years (1 promotion) as a Business Analyst in a global financial services firm with a focus on technology platforms

Extra curriculars and other experience:

Part of a Leadership Prep program at work
Part of Digital Innovation Initiatives at work
Part of the site-level (1000+ employees) employee engagement and communications workgroups at work
Head of the Alumni Committee at Grad School

Undergrad school/major: Bachelor of Engineering in Information Technology

Other education/coursework: Master of Management Studies with a focus on Information Systems
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi curlie,

Darden is a good pick when it comes to Consulting as your post-MBA goal. A whopping 35.5% of the class of 2019 went for Consulting. Also, you may leverage opportunities provided by the Consulting club at Darden.

Now, for the school, your GMAT is well above the average and undergrad GPA seems good as well. Since I do not have details of your work, it's hard to evaluate your chances for the school but your 3.5 years of work-ex at a global firm should communicate some good leadership experiences and you must highlight your contributions in the work, the initiatives you took, and the impact they have had on the organization. Additionaly, do take care of the following while writing your apps:

1. “Meaningful” Leadership: That you have taken leadership roles which inspire you and your team to win and have a meaningful impact on the organization.

2. Confirm that Darden is a “fit” before you apply. Too much is made of how business school aspirants can bend their application materials to match a given school’s culture and not enough is made of the importance of aligning with said school’s culture in the first place. In other words, first determine if you “fit” before you worry about how to communicate this fit.

3. Own your impact.

And finally, share your passions. For ECs, I can see some of your involvements but for the apps do not create a bullet list. Speak of the things about which you are most passionate and which share glimpses of your personality. For your post-MBA goals, I want to know if you want to pivot into consulting industry or want to take up consulting in finance/IT industry? Also, which other schools are you eyeing? If you'd like we are happy to hop on a call with you to discuss your profile at length and help you address your concerns. Feel free to book our calendar as per your convenience.

Cheers!
Kashish Garg,

On behalf of,
Shantanu Sharma, Linkedin
Schedule a free session
What s app: +65-97158525
Call: +49-15212121641

curlie wrote:
27 year old Indian woman here.

Stats

GMAT Score: 740 (Q:50, V:40, 97 percentile)

Undergrad GPA: 8/10

Grad GPA: 6.7/7 (2nd in a class of 120)

Why I want an MBA: I have experience in IT/Finance and want to pivot into Strategy Consulting or General Management and am keen on an international study experience.

Why I want one now: I have always had an interest in the the process management space. I have been working as a business analyst where I am part of the implementation of a digital strategy in the organisation for over 3 years which led me to an interest in strategy in general. I want to learn and explore this new but related field.

Work experience: 3.5 years (1 promotion) as a Business Analyst in a global financial services firm with a focus on technology platforms

Extra curriculars and other experience:

Part of a Leadership Prep program at work
Part of Digital Innovation Initiatives at work
Part of the site-level (1000+ employees) employee engagement and communications workgroups at work
Head of the Alumni Committee at Grad School

Undergrad school/major: Bachelor of Engineering in Information Technology

Other education/coursework: Master of Management Studies with a focus on Information Systems
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   
Moderator:
Darden and UNC Moderator
102 posts