GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 25 Apr 2019, 19:45

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Difference between Appositives and Parenthetical elements

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Director
Director
Difference between Appositives and Parenthetical elements  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jan 2005, 19:46
What is/are the difference(s) between Appositives and Parenthetical elements? I think they are the same but please correct me if i am wrong.

Thanks

--== Message from the GMAT Club Team ==--

THERE IS LIKELY A BETTER DISCUSSION OF THIS EXACT QUESTION.
This discussion does not meet community quality standards. It has been retired.

If you would like to discuss this question please re-post it in the respective forum. Thank you!

To review the GMAT Club's Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow these links: Quantitative | Verbal Please note - we may remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines. Thank you.
Director
Director
  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Jan 2005, 17:08
:?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Jan 2005, 18:11
All appositive phrases are parenthetical elements but not all parenthetical elements are appositive. An appositive construction is a group of words (with no verb) which gives an emphasis to the immediately preceding word. On the other hand, a parenthetical element, non-essential information, can have many different forms among which the appositive phrase.

ie My dog, the best one in town, is an obedient dog.
The appositive phrase in red is the group of words which gives "extra" information on "my dog". It is also a parenthetical element because you can remove that phrase and the sentence would still make sense.

A parenthetical element can also be a non-restrictive clause as follows:

My dog, which I bought at the pet shop, is an obedient dog.
In red is a non-restrictive clause, non-essential information, and hence a parenthetical element. Note that the portion in red is a clause, not a phrase. This is because that red portion, as opposed to the one in the first example, has a verb.

As you can see, parenthetical elements have many different forms among which those above 2.

Paul
Director
Director
  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Jan 2005, 20:34
Thanks a lot Paul. Now i get teh difference

--== Message from the GMAT Club Team ==--

THERE IS LIKELY A BETTER DISCUSSION OF THIS EXACT QUESTION.
This discussion does not meet community quality standards. It has been retired.

If you would like to discuss this question please re-post it in the respective forum. Thank you!

To review the GMAT Club's Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow these links: Quantitative | Verbal Please note - we may remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines. Thank you.
GMAT Club Bot
  [#permalink] 28 Jan 2005, 20:34

Difference between Appositives and Parenthetical elements

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap