GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 23 Jul 2018, 06:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Divided into four sections, one for each strategy

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
MBA Section Director
V
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Divided into four sections, one for each strategy  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Apr 2018, 09:32
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

36% (01:08) correct 64% (01:26) wrong based on 264 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

GST Week 1 Day 2 Exampal Question 1

Give your best shot at writing a top notch application and you will have the chance to win GMAT Club tests daily and Exampal Premium GMAT Package. See the GMAT Spring Training Thread for all details

Divided into four sections, one for each strategy, the book In One Peace analyzes various strategic choices that can be useful in conflict areas, which presents interviews with generations of leaders including Reagan and Merkel.

A. the book In One Peace analyzes various strategic choices that can be useful in conflict areas, which presents interviews with generations of leaders including

B. analyzing various strategic choices that decision makers in conflict areas can make use of, the book In One Peace, presenting interviews with generations of leaders whose ranks include

C. the book In One Peace analyzes various strategic choices that can be useful in conflict areas, presenting interviews with generations of leaders including"

D. the book In One Peace analyzes various strategic choices that can be useful in conflict areas, presenting interviews with generations of leaders whose ranks include

E. and analyzing various useful strategic choices for decision makers in conflict areas, the book In One Peace presents interviews with generations of leaders including

Have an MBA application Question? ASK ME ANYTHING!

My Stuff: Four Years to 760 | MBA Trends for Indian Applicants

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: General Management, Leadership
Schools: ISB '19, IIMB
GMAT 1: 580 Q43 V27
GMAT 2: 650 Q32 V48
GRE 1: Q160 V151
GPA: 3.99
WE: Design (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Divided into four sections, one for each strategy  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Apr 2018, 10:03
Good question, I believe the answer should be 'D', because the starting 'Divided into four sections, one for each strategy,' modify the book so the following clause should start with 'the book' so B and E are out. In A 'which' illogically modifies 'conflict areas' hence out. Here I am a little confused between C and D. I think 'Reagan and Merkel' symbolizes the type of people but not the actual people itself. Hence I thought C is out and D is final answer.
I may be totally wrong. Please correct me, am happy to learn.
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 10 Apr 2018, 10:08
souvik101990 wrote:

Give your best shot at writing a top notch application and you will have the chance to win GMAT Club tests daily and Exampal Premium GMAT Package. See the GMAT Spring Training Thread for all details

Divided into four sections, one for each strategy, the book In One Peace analyzes various strategic choices that can be useful in conflict areas, which presents interviews with generations of leaders including Reagan and Merkel.

A. the book In One Peace analyzes various strategic choices that can be useful in conflict areas, which presents interviews with generations of leaders including

B. analyzing various strategic choices that decision makers in conflict areas can make use of, the book In One Peace, presenting interviews with generations of leaders whose ranks include

C. the book In One Peace analyzes various strategic choices that can be useful in conflict areas, presenting interviews with generations of leaders including"

D. the book In One Peace analyzes various strategic choices that can be useful in conflict areas, presenting interviews with generations of leaders whose ranks include

E. and analyzing various useful strategic choices for decision makers in conflict areas, the book In One Peace presents interviews with generations of leaders including

A. the book In One Peace analyzes various strategic choices that can be useful in conflict areas, which presents interviews with generations of leaders including - Incorrect. Which refers to areas.

B. analyzing various strategic choices that decision makers in conflict areas can make use of, the book In One Peace, presenting interviews with generations of leaders whose ranks include Incorrect. Modifier errors "Divided into four sections" should modify "The Book".

C. the book In One Peace analyzes various strategic choices that can be useful in conflict areas, presenting interviews with generations of leaders including" - Correct. Modifier "Divided into four sections" refers to "The Book". S-V is correct.

D. the book In One Peace analyzes various strategic choices that can be useful in conflict areas, presenting interviews with generations of leaders whose ranks include - Incorrect. Change of meaning - Ranks of "Reagan and Merkel" they are people not Ranks. S-V error. Leaders - Ranks.

E. and analyzing various useful strategic choices for decision makers in conflict areas, the book In One Peace presents interviews with generations of leaders including - Incorrect. Parallelism and modifier errors. Modifier errors "Divided into four sections" should modify "The Book".

Answer: (C).

:-) Non-Allergic To Kudos :-)

Director
Director
V
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 10 Apr 2018, 10:32
'Divided into four sections' is the modifier which must modify the 'book'. Hence options B, E are out.
In option A: 'the book In One Peace analyzes various strategic choices that can be useful in conflict areas, which presents interviews with generations of leaders including' - here 'which' modifies conflict areas whereas it should be modifying the 'book'.

In option C: 'the book In One Peace analyzes various strategic choices that can be useful in conflict areas, presenting interviews with generations of leaders including' - the best and concise option.

In option D: 'the book In One Peace analyzes various strategic choices that can be useful in conflict areas, presenting interviews with generations of leaders whose ranks include' - using 'including' is more precise. 'whose ranks include' is unnecessarily wordy and should be 'rank' to represent leaders.

Answer C.

Please give kudos, if you like my post

When the going gets tough, the tough gets going...

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.9
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 10 Apr 2018, 11:21
The correct answer is option D.

Here is why:
This is primarily a misplaced modifier question . "Divided into four section" is a modifier and is intended to modify the book in this case. Additionally, we need to take care that the original meaning of the sentence doesn't change. Now let's look at the options:

A. which modified the adjacent noun i.e. conflicting areas. This is incorrect.

B. Misplaced modifier, hence incorrect

E. While the parallelism is maintained ( adj. and adj.) but in the new form the sentence's original intent is changes. Hence incorrect

C. & D. are identical except the use of "including" vs "whose ranks include". The phrase whose ranks include is used to make a more generic statement and seems to be aligned to the intent of the writer. Hence option D.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 10 Apr 2018, 12:21
Why not (E). Though C is grammatically correct, E presents a concise meaning. Can someone tell the correct answer pls
BSchool Forum Moderator
D
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 4
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 10 Apr 2018, 14:26
Answer should be D. Awaiting OA

A. the book In One Peace analyzes various strategic choices that can be useful in conflict areas, which presents interviews with generations of leaders including --Wrong. "generations of leaders" including is wrong. Generations don't include Reagan and Merkel

B. analyzing various strategic choices that decision makers in conflict areas can make use of, the book In One Peace, presenting interviews with generations of leaders whose ranks include --Modifier error

C. the book In One Peace analyzes various strategic choices that can be useful in conflict areas, presenting interviews with generations of leaders including" --Same error as stated in option A

D. the book In One Peace analyzes various strategic choices that can be useful in conflict areas, presenting interviews with generations of leaders whose ranks include --Correct

E. and analyzing various useful strategic choices for decision makers in conflict areas, the book In One Peace presents interviews with generations of leaders including --Same error as described in A

Kudos if my post helps!

Long And A Fruitful Journey - V21 to V41; If I can, So Can You!!

Preparing for RC my way

My study resources:
1. Useful Formulae, Concepts and Tricks-Quant
2. e-GMAT's ALL SC Compilation
3. LSAT RC compilation
4. Actual LSAT CR collection by Broal
5. QOTD RC (Carcass)
6. Challange OG RC
7. GMAT Prep Challenge RC

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 10 Apr 2018, 14:28
twister68 wrote:
Why not (E). Though C is grammatically correct, E presents a concise meaning. Can someone tell the correct answer pls

- Not an expert but please see if the explanation helps you to eliminate E.

Option E has two errors:

1) Divided into four sections - is a verb+ed modifier and it should modify "The Book". If we ask the question what is divided into four sections, the answer would come as "The Book" not "and analyzing".

Divided into four sections, one for each strategy, and analyzing various useful strategic choices for decision makers in conflict areas, the book In One Peace presents interviews with generations of leaders including

2) Even if someone says that "Divided into four sections" "and analyzing various useful strategic choices ....." is modifying "The Book" and is concise then also its incorrect. This will involve a parallelism error between "Divided into four sections" "and analyzing".

Divided into four sections, one for each strategy, and analyzing various useful strategic choices for decision makers in conflict areas, the book In One Peace presents interviews with generations of leaders including

BSchool Forum Moderator
D
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 10 Apr 2018, 14:36
seed wrote:
twister68 wrote:

- Not an expert but please see if the explanation helps you to eliminate E.

Option E has two errors:

1) Divided into four sections - is a verb+ed modifier and it should modify "The Book". If we ask the question what is divided into four sections, the answer would come as "The Book" not "and analyzing".

2) Even if someone says that "Divided into four sections" "and analyzing various useful strategic choices ....." is modifying "The Book" and is concise then also its incorrect. This will involve a parallelism error between "Divided into four sections" "and analyzing".

That's a good point raised there. But I believe that parallelism isn't an issue here. The book is divided and analysis something. I think "divided" and "analysing" are both participles here acting as modifiers and are parallel.

The issue here is of "generations of leaders including". Generations don't include 2 people but the ranks of authors of that generation include those 2 people.

I would love to hear GMATNinja sire's views on this one, especially on parallelism point!!

Kudos if my post helps!

Long And A Fruitful Journey - V21 to V41; If I can, So Can You!!

Preparing for RC my way

My study resources:
1. Useful Formulae, Concepts and Tricks-Quant
2. e-GMAT's ALL SC Compilation
3. LSAT RC compilation
4. Actual LSAT CR collection by Broal
5. QOTD RC (Carcass)
6. Challange OG RC
7. GMAT Prep Challenge RC

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 10 Apr 2018, 23:24
Ans D.
Divided into four sections modifies the book so B and E are out.
"which" in A is wrong.
In C including is wrong
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V34

Show Tags

New post 10 Apr 2018, 23:30
souvik101990 wrote:

Between D & E I will go with D.
In E generations of leaders including is wrong- Since Regan & Merkel are leaders not generation of leaders.
Expert Post
MBA Section Director
V
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)

Show Tags

New post 11 Apr 2018, 11:18
Manager
Manager
G
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 11 Apr 2018, 11:50
souvik101990 wrote:

souvik101990 can you post the OE for this question.

Please mention my name in your valuable replies.

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 11 Apr 2018, 12:22
souvik101990 wrote:
pawanpoolla - congratulations on nailing this one. Shoot me a PM to claim your GMAT Club tests subscription!

souvik101990 Once the quiz/test is over, it would be helpful if the partners of GST can give the official explanation of these questions.

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 11 Apr 2018, 14:51
Hello Experts, please help me understand why D is correct over C?

BSchool Forum Moderator
P
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36

Show Tags

New post 06 May 2018, 08:39
Reagan and Merkel are part of that group. Hence the use of "including" is incorrect. In C, It seems like "Reagan and Merkel" are not part of the "generations of leaders" but still are included in that group

Whereas in D, we get the meaning that "Reagan and Merkel" are part of "generations of leaders" and the author wants to highlight that they are part of that group.

There is a slight meaning change and thats you select D over C

Hope this helps

My journey From 410 to 700 :-)
Here's my experience when I faced a glitch in my GMAT Exam
Don't do this mistake when you give your GMATPrep Mock!
NEW GMATPrep software analysis by Bunuel

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 06 May 2018, 22:37
gmatexam439 wrote:
Answer should be D. Awaiting OA

A. the book In One Peace analyzes various strategic choices that can be useful in conflict areas, which presents interviews with generations of leaders including --Wrong. "generations of leaders" including is wrong. Generations don't include Reagan and Merkel

B. analyzing various strategic choices that decision makers in conflict areas can make use of, the book In One Peace, presenting interviews with generations of leaders whose ranks include --Modifier error

C. the book In One Peace analyzes various strategic choices that can be useful in conflict areas, presenting interviews with generations of leaders including" --Same error as stated in option A

D. the book In One Peace analyzes various strategic choices that can be useful in conflict areas, presenting interviews with generations of leaders whose ranks include --Correct

E. and analyzing various useful strategic choices for decision makers in conflict areas, the book In One Peace presents interviews with generations of leaders including --Same error as described in A

If the phrase "generations of leaders including Reagan and Merkel" is reread as "generations of leaders including Reagan and Merkel", will that sort out the issue with option C?
Re: Divided into four sections, one for each strategy &nbs [#permalink] 06 May 2018, 22:37

Divided into four sections, one for each strategy

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap