GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 22 Oct 2018, 16:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Do It vs Do So

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 15 Sep 2018
Posts: 27
GMAT 1: 660 Q50 V29
Reviews Badge
Do It vs Do So  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Sep 2018, 09:15
Is there any case where "do it" is valid in GMAT? I have seen a lot of examples of "do so" being correct choice, but in which scenarios "do it" is valid?
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 23 Jan 2018
Posts: 36
Location: India
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
CAT Tests
Re: Do It vs Do So  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Sep 2018, 09:54
subhsngh0 wrote:
Is there any case where "do it" is valid in GMAT? I have seen a lot of examples of "do so" being correct choice, but in which scenarios "do it" is valid?


Hello subhsngh0,

I also have had the same doubt but I have changed my mind since then. Now, I only try to see when "do it" - this phrase - is used, whether it is referring to a noun correctly.


One example : Sam asked me to get out. I did it.

Here "it" refers to the action that I get out but technically it can only refer to a noun. So the use of "it' is wrong. Hence, the correct usage is I did so

So, I will say instead of going for an example, try to learn when to use it and when to use so. I did the same mistake for the correct usage of "Being". Instead of learning the correct usage of being, I was searching for examples which use being correctly. Hope this helps.

Regards,
Arup
Manager
Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 24 Mar 2017
Posts: 142
Location: India
Schools: ISB '20, IIMA
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.98
Do It vs Do So  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Sep 2018, 09:55
See this video. It will help you with your doubt.

https://gmatclub.com/forum/do-it-versus ... fl=similar
_________________

Sailing through rough waters. Stars & few kudos will steer me past.

Manager
Manager
User avatar
S
Joined: 19 Feb 2010
Posts: 171
Do It vs Do So  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Sep 2018, 10:20
1
1
subhsngh0 wrote:
Is there any case where "do it" is valid in GMAT? I have seen a lot of examples of "do so" being correct choice, but in which scenarios "do it" is valid?


Hello subhsngh0

Good question.

Here is the concept for you:


Image


Please watch the following 1-minute video to understand this concept.




To get access to ~200 such short videos, please visit the following page on our website-
https://www.expertsglobal.com/free-gmat-videos/

Hope this helps.

All the best!

PS: arun6765, thank you for giving link the the post. I just posted the video here for easier access :-)
_________________

GMAT Preparation Online- World's Most Complete GMAT Prep Program | Gain 7-days demo access (includes a full length test)

Manhattan Prep Instructor
User avatar
G
Joined: 04 Dec 2015
Posts: 629
GMAT 1: 790 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: Do It vs Do So  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Sep 2018, 14:47
Interestingly, "do it" isn't used anywhere in the Official Guide to the GMAT 2018. "Do so" is used a whole bunch of times (both in Sentence Correction and just randomly throughout the book.)

Maxximus's analysis above is correct. So, I'll add that 'do' is almost always used with actions, not nouns (such as 'task') - therefore, it's very unlikely that 'do it' will be correct. 'Do so' is much more likely to be right.
_________________

Image

Chelsey Cooley | Manhattan Prep Instructor | Seattle and Online

My upcoming GMAT trial classes | GMAT blog archive

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 15 Sep 2018
Posts: 27
GMAT 1: 660 Q50 V29
Reviews Badge
Re: Do It vs Do So  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Sep 2018, 18:52
Thanx for the discussion, can you suggest me some books to read for SC as it is the fluctuating more frequently in my score depending on difficulty level
Manager
Manager
User avatar
S
Joined: 19 Feb 2010
Posts: 171
Re: Do It vs Do So  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Sep 2018, 01:54
subhsngh0 wrote:
Thanx for the discussion, can you suggest me some books to read for SC as it is the fluctuating more frequently in my score depending on difficulty level


Hello subhsngh0

The most popular sentence correction books are Manhattan's Sentence Correction books and Sentence Correction Grail.

In case you wish to opt for a thorough sentence correction course, you may want to look at the "Sentence Correction Only" option on our website-
https://expertsglobal.com/gmat-preparation-online

As a part of this program, you get-
10 SC e-books (topic-wise), which in our opinion is the world's most comprehensive resource for GMAT SC concepts.
20+ SC concepts videos
800+ SC questions
15 full-length tests
All at a very nominal fee.

You may want to take the demo access and try the course.

Hope this helps. All the best!
_________________

GMAT Preparation Online- World's Most Complete GMAT Prep Program | Gain 7-days demo access (includes a full length test)

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 15 Sep 2018
Posts: 27
GMAT 1: 660 Q50 V29
Reviews Badge
Re: Do It vs Do So  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Sep 2018, 07:01
Maxximus wrote:
subhsngh0 wrote:
Thanx for the discussion, can you suggest me some books to read for SC as it is the fluctuating more frequently in my score depending on difficulty level


Hello
The most popular sentence correction books are Manhattan's Sentence Correction books and Sentence Correction Grail.

In case you wish to opt for a thorough sentence correction course, you may want to look at the "Sentence Correction Only" option on our website-

As a part of this program, you get-
10 SC e-books (topic-wise), which in our opinion is the world's most comprehensive resource for GMAT SC concepts.
20+ SC concepts videos
800+ SC questions
15 full-length tests
All at a very nominal fee.

You may want to take the demo access and try the course.

Hope this helps. All the best!


I will look into the sentence correction grail. Could you please clarify whether it is Aristotle publication or Wiley's publication?
Manager
Manager
User avatar
S
Joined: 19 Feb 2010
Posts: 171
Re: Do It vs Do So  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Sep 2018, 07:06
I think it was Aristotle earlier and Wiley now. Go for the latest version, of course.

All the best!


subhsngh0 wrote:
Maxximus wrote:
subhsngh0 wrote:
Thanx for the discussion, can you suggest me some books to read for SC as it is the fluctuating more frequently in my score depending on difficulty level


Hello
The most popular sentence correction books are Manhattan's Sentence Correction books and Sentence Correction Grail.

In case you wish to opt for a thorough sentence correction course, you may want to look at the "Sentence Correction Only" option on our website-

As a part of this program, you get-
10 SC e-books (topic-wise), which in our opinion is the world's most comprehensive resource for GMAT SC concepts.
20+ SC concepts videos
800+ SC questions
15 full-length tests
All at a very nominal fee.

You may want to take the demo access and try the course.

Hope this helps. All the best!


I will look into the sentence correction grail. Could you please clarify whether it is Aristotle publication or Wiley's publication?

_________________

GMAT Preparation Online- World's Most Complete GMAT Prep Program | Gain 7-days demo access (includes a full length test)

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Do It vs Do So &nbs [#permalink] 18 Sep 2018, 07:06
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Do It vs Do So

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.