It is currently 22 Aug 2017, 15:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

patience and calm - key to score improvement

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

5 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
G
Status: 'When I was young, I used to admire intelligent people; as I grow older, I admire kind people."

Kudos [?]: 64 [5] , given: 86

WE: Advertising (Advertising and PR)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
patience and calm - key to score improvement [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Mar 2017, 02:32
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
about myself: non native, English literature grad, post grad in philosophy. 5 years of work experience as a copy/content writer. failed in math almost throughout middle school and high school(was saved by grace marks and whenever I got good coaching)

with 1 weeks preparation - Kaplan CAT: 320(don't remember the break up)

after 1.5 months(3-4 hours of studies- 5 days a week) - first official GMAT: 470 (q25 v32)

after 2 months(5 hours of studies - 5 days a week) - second official GMAT 580(q36 v34) - 110 points improvement.

I'm not done yet I aim to cross a 690 in my next attempt.

Patience and Calm
Patience and calm are two of the most important states that you need to have if you want to see improvement in your scores. If you're already patient and calm, then that's great. If you aren't then prepping for the test is a great opportunity for you to develop these attitudes, as they be in handy in all aspects of life.
Stay clear from any activity that gets you overtly excited. Check Mike Mcgarry's article to mentally prepare for the test. https://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/zen-boot-camp-for-the-gmat/

Study Style
I started with a local coaching center, I guess they were terrible or coaching simply wasn't meant for me. Everything seemed intimidating and the coaching center wasn't as helpful as was expected.
Key take away: please understand what type of study style suits you best, if you like to study at your own pace then Magoosh is an excellent way to study for Quant. The video lessons are of good quality and in case you don't understand something you can drop them an email, they reply within 24 hours.

Right Resources
It took me really long to understand a lot of basic math because I used all the wrong resources right from the start and also spent a LOT of money. So if you want to spend wisely on your prep then read this post: https://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-buy-g ... 36174.html

Don't Cram CATS
When I solved questions at length(timed and of medium/hard difficulty level) but not in CAT format, my accuracy was about 83-87% on a average. Also my last few CATS I was scoring between 620-640 on GMATPREP and Manhattan CATS, but despite this I scored a 580 on the actual test. I think this happened because I spent only 2 weeks practicing CATS
take away: set aside a month and a half to practice CATS. Don't do over 3 CATS in a week (1 with IR/Essay and 2 without), you will tire yourself out. I attempted a gmatprep test a day before my actual test, scored a 640, but scored a 580 on the actual test. :/

Verbal
Verbal Needs More Time
GMAT verbal skills take longer to build than quant. I was good at SC, but needed to work on CR and RC. I bought EGMAT which is very popular among non natives for verbal, it was useful. However I didn't take full advantage of my verbal ability by practicing more and learning alternative techniques.
key take away: Take advantage of your strengths. Even if you're good at verbal solve CR questions daily, even 3-5 will do, and 1-2 RC passages and SC 3-5, so that you stay in touch with the questions as you're building your quant skills.

MOCK TESTS ACCURACY
The average of your Manhattan CATS scores will be the closest your actual score on the real test.
GMATPREP is also quite accurate, but if you reset it more than twice, your scores will be inflated.

Take Full Advantage Of Your Strengths
If you're naturally good at quant, push for a 47+, if you're naturally good at verbal push for a 40+, it will give your score the boost it requires. If you're not good at either, don't lose heart. GMAT isn't as scary as it seems at the beginning of your prep. You just need the right guidance, right resources and the right study style.

If you find my post useful, please give me a kudos.

Thank you.
Regards,
Kaal

If you wish to spend wisely on your gmat prep material, check my post titled: How to Spend Money On GMAT Material Wisely, link: https://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-buy-gmat-material-wisely-tag-free-gmat-resources-236174.html

Simple and handy template for CR: https://gmatclub.com/forum/simple-and-handy-template-for-cr-242255.html

simple template for more vs greater and fewer vs less: https://gmatclub.com/forum/simple-template-for-more-vs-greater-and-fewer-vs-less-242216.html

Last edited by Kaal on 30 Jun 2017, 18:49, edited 7 times in total.

Kudos [?]: 64 [5] , given: 86

e-GMAT Discount CodesEconomist GMAT Tutor Discount CodesEMPOWERgmat Discount Codes
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: patience and calm - key to score improvement [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Mar 2017, 20:01
thanks i needed this.

Sent from my MotoG3 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: patience and calm - key to score improvement   [#permalink] 18 Mar 2017, 20:01