GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 12 Nov 2019, 15:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

DS accuracy improvement. How to move to Q50 from Q48?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
B
DS accuracy improvement. How to move to Q50 from Q48?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Oct 2019, 11:48
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

My official gmat score taken today is 640 (Q47,V32)
I took there official GMAT mocks before that with scores 690 (Q47V38),710 (Q49,V39) and 700 (Q48,V37).I believe that my verbal score went down in actual GMAT due to a RC mistake and I may retake GMAT. Meanwhile I'd also like to improve my accuracy in quant DS. Most of my errors are from DS and it also takes me 2 minutes 40 second to solve on average. Pls help

Posted from my mobile device
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: DS accuracy improvement. How to move to Q50 from Q48?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Oct 2019, 21:18
Hi vizpoy,

First off, a 640/Q47 is a solid Score, so it could be enough to get you into your first-choice School. As such, a retest might not be necessary. Depending on the Schools that you plan to apply to, you would likely find it beneficial to speak with an Admissions Expert about your overall profile. There's a Forum full of those Experts here:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/ask-admissio ... tants-124/

There's certainly no harm in retesting though - and you have the opportunity to pick up some significant points in BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections. Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) How long have you studied? How many hours do you typically study each week?
2) What study materials have you used so far?
3) On what dates did you take EACH of your CATs/mocks and how did you score on EACH (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?

Goals:
4) What is your overall goal score?
5) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
6) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

You might also choose to purchase the Enhanced Score Report. While the ESR doesn’t provide a lot of information, there are usually a few data points that we can use to define what went wrong on Test Day (and what you should work on to score higher). If you purchase the ESR, then I'll be happy to analyze it for you.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

The Course Used By GMAT Club Moderators To Earn 750+

souvik101990 Score: 760 Q50 V42 ★★★★★
ENGRTOMBA2018 Score: 750 Q49 V44 ★★★★★
Director
Director
V
Concentration: Finance, Human Resources
GPA: 3.97
WE: Project Management (Investment Banking)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 23 Oct 2019, 21:28
DS is certainly the most needed area to be improved upon and the best strategy is to solve as many question as you.
Try to solve GMAT club tests qustion. They helped me a lot in understanding pattern
Search for Bunuel's posts for DS. They will definitely help you.
Target Test Prep Representative
V
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Show Tags

New post 24 Oct 2019, 09:59
Hi Vizpoy,

First off, 680 with Q47 is not a bad start. So, regarding how to improve in Data Sufficiency questions, I agree that you need to adjust how you approach those questions versus how you attack problem-solving questions. For example, you need to understand that Data Sufficiency questions do not have to be solved out to the “bitter end.” Take a look at example 10 here. Notice that the goal of the problem is to determine the mean grade for the left-handed students. If you look at the solution for statement two, it’s clear that we can determine the value of L well before we actually do. So, taking that mentality when solving DS questions should greatly help your accuracy and your timing.

There are definitely certain nuances or traps to be aware of when solving Data Sufficiency questions. One of those traps is the dreaded “C Trap.” In C-trap questions, you’ll be baited into choosing answer choice C because C so clearly and obviously seems to be the correct answer; DON’T TAKE THE BAIT!! For instance, take a look at example 9here. Upon first glance, choice C seems like a logical answer, right? Yet, if you properly attack the problem, you’ll see that you can determine the value of x using statement one alone.

Once you further develop your general Data Sufficiency skills, whether you correctly solve DS questions will be based more on your topical knowledge than on anything else. For example, if you are given a DS question testing you on “units digits,” such as example 1 here, and you are not skilled in working with units digits and do not know that the base of 7 has a units digit of 1 when raised to an exponent that is a multiple of 4, then how can you expect to correctly answer that particular DS question, right? Thus, to improve, you would have to spend time reviewing not Data Sufficiency concepts but concepts related units digits patterns.

In summary, yes, there are some general Data Sufficiency skills that you could use to avoid being trapped or wasting time doing unnecessary math. At the same time, if you thoroughly master each GMAT quant topic, then you should not have any major issues with Data Sufficiency questions.

Feel free to reach out with further questions.

Good luck!

Scott Woodbury-Stewart

Founder and CEO

Scott@TargetTestPrep.com
TTP - Target Test Prep Logo
122 Reviews

5-star rated online GMAT quant
self study course

See why Target Test Prep is the top rated GMAT quant course on GMAT Club. Read Our Reviews

If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Kudos" button.

GMAT Club Bot
Re: DS accuracy improvement. How to move to Q50 from Q48?   [#permalink] 24 Oct 2019, 09:59

DS accuracy improvement. How to move to Q50 from Q48?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics