GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Aug 2018, 14:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Emory's Goizueta (100%) vs. UVa's Darden (0%)

new topic post reply Update application status  

Which school to attend?

• 39% [17]
  • 60% [26]
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
GMAT 1: 670 Q39 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q42 V48
GPA: 3
WE: Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Reviews Badge
Emory's Goizueta (100%) vs. UVa's Darden (0%)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Apr 2015, 08:55
Good Morning,

I'm 28, married and living in Los Angeles. I am interested in strategy consulting or possibly healthcare consulting out of business school. I would like to set myself up in the best way possible for a career in the Southeast. My wife is finishing up her PhD in April in Biomedical Engineering, and will be looking for Post Docs and industry jobs as I am beginning school. She's originally from Florida, I am from Alabama.

I recently visited Emory for the Welcome Weekend and I liked everyone I met. The school has a great brand in Atlanta and seems to place well into consulting. However, Darden was my number one choice when I applied and I love the fact that the program is so academically focused. I feel like the school's reputation could help me more in the long run.

What do you think?
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Healthcare, Finance
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
WE: Law (Law)
Re: Emory's Goizueta (100%) vs. UVa's Darden (0%)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Apr 2015, 09:06
Why not consider Duke also?
Intern
Intern
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 01 Apr 2015, 09:18
wmay wrote:

Well, I may be the only person in history to say this (Duke has a pretty huge following), but I just didn't feel like it was a good fit for me. It has a good reputation in consulting but I thought the students were more socially focused than academically. Additionally, they don't place as many students in the South East as Emory and Darden.
Current Student
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 01 Apr 2015, 10:02
vestdw wrote:
wmay wrote:

Well, I may be the only person in history to say this (Duke has a pretty huge following), but I just didn't feel like it was a good fit for me. It has a good reputation in consulting but I thought the students were more socially focused than academically. Additionally, they don't place as many students in the South East as Emory and Darden.

That's a very interesting observation for an international candidate like me who most likely will not have the privilege to visit any school before joining.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.86

Show Tags

New post 01 Apr 2015, 10:49
vestdw wrote:
Good Morning,

I'm 28, married and living in Los Angeles. I am interested in strategy consulting or possibly healthcare consulting out of business school. I would like to set myself up in the best way possible for a career in the Southeast. My wife is finishing up her PhD in April in Biomedical Engineering, and will be looking for Post Docs and industry jobs as I am beginning school. She's originally from Florida, I am from Alabama.

I recently visited Emory for the Welcome Weekend and I liked everyone I met. The school has a great brand in Atlanta and seems to place well into consulting. However, Darden was my number one choice when I applied and I love the fact that the program is so academically focused. I feel like the school's reputation could help me more in the long run.

What do you think?

I would say that Darden is more highly respected and has more high-caliber companies wanting to hire directly from Darden (Bain, McKinsey, Deloitte, etc).
Emory is a good school, but in a job interview, someone coming from Emory against someone coming from Darden is going to have a tough battle.

In the long run, I think the Darden MBA will hold more weight and will create more top quality opportunities (which is the end goal of an MBA). You may not immediately have any debt if you go to Emory, but if Darden opens the door to higher paying jobs anyway it becomes an NPV calculation, and therefore a no-brainer.
Intern
Intern
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 01 Apr 2015, 11:16
robertsonsd wrote:
vestdw wrote:
Good Morning,

What do you think?

I would say that Darden is more highly respected and has more high-caliber companies wanting to hire directly from Darden (Bain, McKinsey, Deloitte, etc).
Emory is a good school, but in a job interview, someone coming from Emory against someone coming from Darden is going to have a tough battle.

In the long run, I think the Darden MBA will hold more weight and will create more top quality opportunities (which is the end goal of an MBA). You may not immediately have any debt if you go to Emory, but if Darden opens the door to higher paying jobs anyway it becomes an NPV calculation, and therefore a no-brainer.

Thank you for this. When I went into the application process I my goal was to get a full ride to anywhere and go there, but now that it comes down to it, it's more difficult to decide than I thought it would be. It's extremely hard for me to decide between something tangible (scholarship money to Emory) and something that is hard to quantify (long term financial gain as a result of attending Darden).
Intern
Intern
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 01 Apr 2015, 11:20
BrainFog wrote:
vestdw wrote:
wmay wrote:

That's a very interesting observation for an international candidate like me who most likely will not have the privilege to visit any school before joining.

This is only my opinion, based on about 20 alumni and current students I have interacted with during my interview and informational phone calls prior to submitting my application. Duke is a great school, but I don't think many people would say the curriculum is as challenging as Darden's. I am the type of guy that wants to come out with the best knowledge of business that I can get.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.86

Show Tags

New post 01 Apr 2015, 11:26
vestdw wrote:
robertsonsd wrote:
vestdw wrote:
Good Morning,

What do you think?

Thank you for this. When I went into the application process I my goal was to get a full ride to anywhere and go there, but now that it comes down to it, it's more difficult to decide than I thought it would be. It's extremely hard for me to decide between something tangible (scholarship money to Emory) and something that is hard to quantify (long term financial gain as a result of attending Darden).

If you were accepted to HBS with 0% scholarship and you were accepted to the #50 school in the US with 100% scholarship, would you choose the #50 school? I think the answer is probably that you would choose HBS.

Now take it a step further; if you were accepted to Stanford with a 0% scholarship and also accepted to the #25 school with a 100% scholarship, would you choose the #25 school?

At some point there is a line where you would be willing to make that trade for quality of education vs caliber of school; and that line is different for everyone. Just make sure you are happy with the decision you arrive at, and go for it 110%!
Manager
Manager
Schools: Ross '15 (M)

Show Tags

New post 01 Apr 2015, 13:55
You should try to get something, anything from Darden. But if you can't, then I would say Goizueta. Darden is an academic powerhouse no doubt. But if you're serious about learning, and it appears that you are, any top school will give you a great education and the tools you need to separate yourself in the job market.

With zero scholarship, I lean toward Emory.
Intern
Intern
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 01 Apr 2015, 15:29
rexman wrote:
You should try to get something, anything from Darden. But if you can't, then I would say Goizueta. Darden is an academic powerhouse no doubt. But if you're serious about learning, and it appears that you are, any top school will give you a great education and the tools you need to separate yourself in the job market.

With zero scholarship, I lean toward Emory.

Thanks for this. Just began a dialogue with Darden, if they give me anything at all it could push me over the edge! Appreciate everyone's thoughts on this.
Intern
Intern
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 30 Apr 2015, 10:55
Hey guys,

Thanks for your input, final update on this is that I am going to Emory. I think that less financial pressure coming out of business school will allow me to have an open mind to new career prospects. While I am sure that my shot at MBB will not be as good as if I attended Darden, it's still possible. If I work my butt off to get a pre-mba internship as well as a summer internship next year, I should be able to land an interview. Additionally, Goizueta puts more graduates into the South East than any other school. Thank you again. Good luck to everyone still trying to decide.
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 670 Q42 V40
GPA: 3.1

Show Tags

New post 05 Dec 2017, 15:38
Just PM'd you.

vestdw wrote:
Hey guys,

Thanks for your input, final update on this is that I am going to Emory. I think that less financial pressure coming out of business school will allow me to have an open mind to new career prospects. While I am sure that my shot at MBB will not be as good as if I attended Darden, it's still possible. If I work my butt off to get a pre-mba internship as well as a summer internship next year, I should be able to land an interview. Additionally, Goizueta puts more graduates into the South East than any other school. Thank you again. Good luck to everyone still trying to decide.
Re: Emory's Goizueta (100%) vs. UVa's Darden (0%) &nbs [#permalink] 05 Dec 2017, 15:38

Emory's Goizueta (100%) vs. UVa's Darden (0%)

new topic post reply Update application status  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap