GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 24 May 2019, 08:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Especially in the early years, new entrepreneurs may need to find reso

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

EMPOWERgmat Instructor
S
Especially in the early years, new entrepreneurs may need to find reso  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 07 May 2019, 12:48
Hello Everyone!

Let's take a closer look at this question to figure out how to get to the correct answer quickly! First, here is the original question with any major differences between each option highlighted in orange:

Especially in the early years, new entrepreneurs may need to find resourceful ways, like renting temporary office space or using answering services, that make their company seem large and more firmly established than they may actually be.

(A) that make their company seem large
(B) to make their companies seem larger
(C) thus making their companies seem larger
(D) so that the companies seem larger
(E) of making their company seem large

After a quick glance over each option, a few major differences jump out:

1. How they begin: that / to / thus / so that / of
2. company vs. companies
3. large vs. larger

The best way to tackle a GMAT question is to pick out the issues that could potentially eliminate the most answers. For this question, #2 and #3 on our list will knock out 2-3 options easily, so let's start there.

If we start with #3 on our list (large vs. larger), we will eliminate 2-3 answers right away.

After reading through the entire sentence, it's clear that the advice given is meant to make a company seem both larger than it truly is and more firmly established than it truly is. When using the comparative for one item (more firmly established), we must use it for both items! It doesn't make sense to say the advice makes your company large than it truly is and more firmly established than it truly is, does it? So, let's see how our options stack up:

We can eliminate options A and E right away because they don't use the correct comparative term "larger" to show how the company looks to how it really is.

If we look at #2 on our list, we would also eliminate options A and E. Since we're talking about the plural "entrepreneurs," we're also talking about their plural "companies" they're starting. It wouldn't make sense to say all entrepreneurs are involved in starting the same company, right?

Now we're left with #1 on our list: how to begin the phrase (to / thus / so that). If we look closely at the original sentence, there are some non-essential phrases that we can cross out to better help us figure out which option is best:

Especially in the early years, new entrepreneurs may need to find resourceful ways, like renting temporary office space or using answering services,that make their company seem large and more firmly established than they may actually be.

Whichever option we choose MUST make sense with and without these non-essential phrases added in! I've added in the rest of the sentence for each one, so we can see which option works the best:

(B) new entrepreneurs may need to find resourceful ways to make their companies seem larger

This option is CORRECT because the word "to" is used correctly here to directly show purpose. It's clear that the entrepreneurs' actions are done with the purpose of making their companies look good.

(C) new entrepreneurs may need to find resourceful ways, thus making their companies seem larger

This option is INCORRECT because it changes the logical meaning of the sentence. "Thus" is meant to show the results of an action, not the purpose of an action. We don't know for sure if these resourceful ways will actually work or not. However, we know that entrepreneurs should do these things with the purpose of trying to make their companies look better, so using "to" is much clearer.

(D) new entrepreneurs may need to find resourceful ways so that the companies seem larger

This option is also INCORRECT because the phrase "so that" doesn't work here. "So that" is meant to show that one person does an action so that another person can do/no do something as a result. Since a company is not a person, it doesn't make sense to use it here. Saying "to" is much clearer and shows a direct purpose.

There you have it - option B is the correct one! It uses the correct comparative "larger," agrees in number (entrepreneurs/they/companies), and uses the best conjunction to show purpose (to).

Don't study for the GMAT. Train for it.

Originally posted by EMPOWERgmatVerbal on 24 Sep 2018, 11:29.
Last edited by EMPOWERgmatVerbal on 07 May 2019, 12:48, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
G
GPA: 3.87
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Especially in the early years, new entrepreneurs may need to find reso  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Jan 2019, 04:40
Dear Experts and GC members,

Could you please help me to understand the usage of "way to" and "way of", which usage in terms of GMAT is acaptable and which one is not.
It is clear that any grammar depends on context, but is there any rule or something? :dazed
Attachments

way to way of.JPG
way to way of.JPG [ 45.26 KiB | Viewed 468 times ]

(no one is ideal, please correct if you see any mistakes or gaps in my explanation, it will be helpful for both of us, thank you)

It is pointless to try to study if it is not fun, then it becomes a chore. At that point, you will either hate your studies or became afraid of them.
Manager
Manager
G
GPA: 3.87
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Especially in the early years, new entrepreneurs may need to find reso  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Jan 2019, 04:52
Hello Abhishek009

Abhishek009 wrote:
Especially in the early years, new entrepreneurs may need to find resourceful ways, like renting temporary office space or using answering services,to make their companies seem larger and more firmly established than they may actually be.

New Entrepreneurs==>Their companies==>They

Larger and more firmly established than............. = Correct Comparison.

to find ........ to make = Maintains parallelism

Hence Answer must be (B)

You said that "to find" and "to make" are parallel, but entities in the parallel list usually require "parallelism marker" that we miss here...
Could you please explain your thoughts?

(no one is ideal, please correct if you see any mistakes or gaps in my explanation, it will be helpful for both of us, thank you)

It is pointless to try to study if it is not fun, then it becomes a chore. At that point, you will either hate your studies or became afraid of them.
Director
Director
G
Especially in the early years, new entrepreneurs may need to find reso  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 14 Feb 2019, 07:47
AbdurRakib wrote:
Especially in the early years, new entrepreneurs may need to find resourceful ways, like renting temporary office space or using answering services, that make their company seem large and more firmly established than they may actually be.

look at the problem from a meaning perspective. this is the point gmat want from us.
large/larger. it is clear that larger is better because we have " more established'.
in choice D, who makes the companies larger. this is one error. the second error is that which companies.
in choice E. "of making" makes us think that the answering service has characteristics of making their companies larger before they use the services. this is wrong. "company" , single, not plural, is also wrong.
in choice C. "making" show an action which is part of and not separate from the main action "may need to find". this is not logic.
in choice A. "that make" shows a kind of service that make companies larger before they may need to find. this is not logic.

Originally posted by thangvietnam on 14 Feb 2019, 02:31.
Last edited by GMATNinjaTwo on 14 Feb 2019, 07:47, edited 1 time in total.
fixed quotation formatting
Manager
Manager
G
Schools: HBS, Stanford, Wharton
GMAT 1: 630 Q43 V34
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 19 Feb 2019, 08:45
Hi!
I have a doubt on this one.
Here "like rentig temporary office space or using answering services," shouldn't be there a "SUCH AS" instead of a "LIKE"?
It seems to me that LIKE is introducing examples of Resourceful Ways...
Would you please clarify? thanks in advance
V

Show Tags

New post 19 Feb 2019, 11:41
patto wrote:
Hi!
Here "like rentig temporary office space or using answering services," shouldn't be there a "SUCH AS" instead of a "LIKE"?

Hi patto , it's hard to tell whether GMAC has "loosened up" on its stance with respect to such as and like.
One question contains material in the non-underlined portion that does not follow the rule.
At least three questions that come after the date of this question's post (2017) test the issue.
-- In those questions, "such as" is used to introduce examples. Using "like" to do so is incorrect.
-- See material linked in red below

Many different posts in the thread mention the issue that you raise.
Please review the thread.

This one time, I will post the links to posts on the thread that precede this post, because the question is important.

HERE
HERE
* HERE
-- "GMAT seems to have become lenient on this issue . . ."
HERE
* HERE

The two links with asterisks are written by experts who speculate that the GMAT has eased up on the rule
about such as vs. like to introduce examples.

• On the other hand . . .

Maybe GMAC has relaxed. Maybe not.

The questions below appear in OG 2019 and/or VR 2018 and distinguish between such as and like.
To introduce examples, such as is correct.
Like is not.
In one question, "such as" does not work because what follows "such as" is written incorrectly.
Like is incorrect in these questions.

This official question, HERE

These questions are three that I could find quickly.
We moderators and administrators work hard to tag questions correctly,
but we do not always catch every issue.
There may be more questions on the issue that simply are not tagged.

If GMAC has eased up, I have no idea why it is still testing the rule in its most recent official guides.

Takeaways:

1) Whatever is in the non-underlined portion of an official question is
correct for that question.
-- No institution is perfect. No group of writers and thinkers is perfect.
-- GMAC authors write questions that are unbelievably difficult to write.
(Everyone should try to write ONE good SC question just to see how difficult the task is.)
-- What you see may be a one-off (a fluke, not typical, not representative).
Check other questions in official guides to find out whether other contemporaneous
questions test the issue, as I did. See #3

2) read the thread from beginning to end

3) run a search here
-- choose strict tag search
-- select SC. Its tags will open
-- select SUCH AS/LIKE
-- select ONE official source at a time (I think -- I get better results)
-- click on CONFIRM
-- click on SEARCH
See my post, immediately below, with screenshots that demonstrate how to search in engine in the link I gave you.

4) If you encounter a question in which answer choices include such as and like
to introduce examples? Choose such as.

Hope that helps.
V

Show Tags

New post 19 Feb 2019, 11:41
patto wrote:
Hi!

Please see the post immediately above, HERE, for a discussion about whether GMAC
has relaxed its rule about such as vs. like in the context of introducing examples.

In that post I mentioned that you can search HERE
to see how official questions are trending.

STEP 1
-- choose strict tag search
-- select SC. Its tags will open

Attachment:
SEARCH screen 1.JPG
SEARCH screen 1.JPG [ 75.59 KiB | Viewed 311 times ]

STEP 2
-- select SUCH AS/LIKE
-- select ONE official source at a time (I think -- I get better results)
-- hit CONFIRM

Attachment:
SEARCH screen 2.JPG
SEARCH screen 2.JPG [ 128.25 KiB | Viewed 311 times ]

STEP 3
-- hit search
Attachment:
SEARCH screen 3.JPG
SEARCH screen 3.JPG [ 20.15 KiB | Viewed 311 times ]

HKD1710 or bb or Bunuel:

Is there a link to a "how to search" in this particular manner that I have laid out above?
This post is in response to a question I answered immediately above, HERE.
If so, I will delete the contents of this post and replace them with that link. :)
VP
P
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31

Show Tags

New post 19 Feb 2019, 22:29
Also interesting to note the explanation for #65 of Verbal Review 2nd Edition:

While there has been some dispute over the use of like to mean "for example," this is an acceptable use.

I am of the belief that if the underlined portion of the sentence has like/such as as one of the splits, GMAT would still prefer such as, when the intent is to provide examples.

Would be interested if someone could provide examples that prove otherwise.

Sentence Correction Nirvana available on Amazon.in and Flipkart

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com
Senior SC Moderator
V

Show Tags

New post 19 Feb 2019, 22:47
Quote:
4) If you encounter a question in which answer choices include such as and like
to introduce examples? Choose such as.

After having seen three questions in which the such as/like issue was tested,
I wrote my conclusion above.

I do not think anyone will find an example in which
like is preferred over such as to introduce examples.

"Relaxing" about a rule is one thing.
"Doing a 180" about the rule is another.

I highly doubt that GMAC will adopt the position
that like is better than such as in that context.

For now, I agree. if a such as/like split is being tested
in a way that involves introducing examples, choose such as.
VP
P
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31

Show Tags

New post 19 Feb 2019, 23:14
generis wrote:
I highly doubt that GMAC will adopt the position
that like is better than such as in that context.

Oh no..that's not being debated here at all.

The point is that despite GMAT (rather timidly) stating that like can be used to give examples, will GMAT continue to prefer the usage of such as in such cases (in the underlined portion).

I believe yes.

Sentence Correction Nirvana available on Amazon.in and Flipkart

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com
Director
Director
G

Show Tags

New post 18 Apr 2019, 03:22
Pronz wrote:
Warning: Really long post.

A) that make their company seem large
B) to make their companies seem larger
C) thus making their companies seem larger
D) so that the companies seem larger
E) of making their company seem large

Problems with option D:

X so that Y: Usage of this idiom implies:
1) Y is subordinate to X
2)Y is adverbial, i.e., it is an explainer for the clause X. It answers the question why X?
Why do the new entrepreneurs need to find resourceful ways? So that the companies seem larger and more established.

While this makes perfect sense logically, this is not the intended meaning. It is not clear who makes the companies seem larger and more established. The intended meaning is to bring out the intent : the ability of new age entrepreneurs to control/influence the outcome.

Analogous question:OG #171

In 1527 King Henry VII sought to have his marriage to Queen Catherine annulled so as to marry Anne Boleyn.

A) so as to marry
Doesn't make it clear who is to marry Anne Boleyn? Is it King Henry VII? Queen Catherine? Anyone else in the world ? GMATis uncomfortable with this level of logical ambiguity.
D) so that he could marry
Aha! So...he himself wanted to marry Anne Boleyn. No wonder he tried to annul the marriage.

To resolve between A) and D) we have to use the same logic.

Too subtle? Unfortunately this is the only way to resolve this split correctly, as some of you intuitively figured out.

Key takeway:
The to-infinitive states purpose with the subject involved more directly,whereas "so X that Y" has more indirect implications.
In broader terms, grammar alone is insufficient to get through SC: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/ ... -questions
Here is how you can solve this question using meaning:

Converting this question into an analogous easier to digest sentence to spot, extract and replace:

A)We need to find ways THAT beat GMAT.
B)We need to find ways TO beat the GMAT.
C)We need to ways THUS beating the GMAT
D)We need to find the way SO THAT GMAT is beaten.
E)We need to find ways OF beating the GMAT.

Only E) and B) are correct, because OF and TO are the correct preposition that go with WAYS, as confirmed by the official explanation.
The basis of this decision is meaning: We are concerned with the ability to control the outcome of the GMAT. This is why demonstrative THAT in A is wrong, the adverbials THUS in C) and SO THAT in D) are all wrong.

My 2 cents:

If you see this as the only split to resolve between the two options(one that uses so X that Y & the other uses X to Y) then the questions is experimental and you dont have to worry about it, as Ron and Mike both agree that GMAT does't test only this split. (I can post citations if someone requests them.)

On the other hand this questions does have another split. Comparing B) and D) vertically(since we have already eliminated all other options based on criteria already discussed above) quickly lands us an easy decision point.

D) so that the companies seem larger

Did you catch the subtle scope shift? There is significant loss in intended meaning.

Why at all should new age entrepreneurs be worried about all companies? They are desperate to search for innovative means so as to ensure that their companies see the light of day!

Other splits not discussed (Disclaimer :read only if really really interested):

How to resolve between "of" and "to" without using other splits:Chronology!

Again meaning gives a interesting insight that helps me arrive at the right answer without searching for other splits.
Implies correct chronology: the infinitive "may need to" is futuristic: When the statement has been made the companies have not yet been made to appear larger or well established. First we find ways, then implement it and ultimately reap the benefits.
E) of making their company seem large
Chronology of the gerund "making":Since a gerund is a noun, it exists objectively, i.e., it already exists(either starting at the same time or before the time of the main clause.
This implies, that the companies have already or are currently being made to appear well established. This is grossly incorrect, as the time of occurrence of main sentence(present), new age entrepreneurs have not found ways yet.
This is not evident in first read, but read it a couple of times and you can recognize why this is enough to solve the question.

P.S.:Usage of Like is completely justified since the author of the sentence is speculating on hypothetical examples ("may need to..."), not literal ones.

Please give kudos if you liked it, took me a while to type this out.

thank you very much for the detail explanation. I take this case to ask you about question "king Henry 7"

I study this problem before and I want to say that in the version "so as to", it is clear that the king is subject /agent of "to marry". so , the error in this choice is not in that point but is that "so as to" is not used to mean "to".

pls, confirm my point.
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 01 May 2019, 08:30
If we see the non underlined part we have "more firmly established' which means we are comparing . So we need Larger no the Large.

So b,c,d are remaining.
In D it talks about companies but whose companies are these ? so D out
now B and C. Here in C Thus making part did the blunder.

So B

Re: Especially in the early years, new entrepreneurs may need to find reso   [#permalink] 01 May 2019, 08:30

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   [ 52 posts ] 

Especially in the early years, new entrepreneurs may need to find reso

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap