It is currently 23 Oct 2017, 12:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Especially in the early years, new entrepreneurs may need to find reso

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 4

Re: Especially in the early years, new entrepreneurs may need to find reso [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Mar 2017, 08:54
I chose B, because:
A: because of || we need comparison (larger) - wrong
B: ok
C: thus making.. modifies the whole clause - changes meanign->wrong
D: wordy
E: same as A

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 4

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 5

CAT Tests
Re: Especially in the early years, new entrepreneurs may need to find reso [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 May 2017, 20:44
AbdurRakib wrote:
Especially in the early years, new entrepreneurs may need to find resourceful ways, like renting temporary office space or using answering services, that make their company seem large and more firmly established than they may actually be.

A) that make their company seem large
B) to make their companies seem larger
C) thus making their companies seem larger
D) so that the companies seem larger
E) of making their company seem large

OG 2017 New Question

A) that make their company seem large -> ways do not make the company seem larger rather entrepreneurs use different ways to make their companies seem larger. It also looks like all
entrepreneurs have a single company. The use of they at the end requires companies. larger should be used with than
B) to make their companies seem larger -> to shows purpose . Also companies is correct
C) thus making their companies seem larger -> it seems finding different ways results in making companies seem larger
D) so that the companies seem larger -> this one is hard to eliminate. use of "their companies" is required
E) of making their company seem large -> larger should be used

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 5

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 02 Jun 2017, 04:12
Divyadisha wrote:
AbdurRakib wrote:
Especially in the early years, new entrepreneurs may need to find resourceful ways, like renting temporary office space or using answering services, that make their company seem large and more firmly established that they may actually be.

B) to make their companies seem large

In the non-underlined part 'they' is plural and refers to companies. A and E are out.

Intention of entrepreneurs is to make their companies seem 'large'. 'Larger' is not required. C and D are out

B is the right answer

Sorry, but I think B also has 'larger'. So according to your logic, B should also be eliminated!

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
S

Kudos [?]: 9074 [0], given: 335

Show Tags

New post 02 Jun 2017, 09:56
AR15J wrote:
Hi Expert,

I already read all explanation including Pronz's, and after reading the explanations, I was convinced with the right choice. However, I have following doubts.

1. I saw the snakes lying behind the buildings. They were playing there. They were built before 10 years. --wrong

Above sentence is absolutely wrong. However, it clearly states the meaning: first "they" refers to snakes, and second "they" refers to building

A pronoun can have only one antecedent. Is it allowed for a pronoun in different forms(one possessive and one subjective form ) to refer different antecedents?

Especially in the early years, new entrepreneurs may need to find resourceful ways, like renting temporary office space or using answering services, to make their companies seem larger and more firmly established than they may actually be.

In the above sentence, "their" refers to entrepreneurs, and they refer to the companies. Please explain.

2. Like is used to compare, not to present examples. "Renting temporary office space" or "using answering services" are the examples of the "resourceful ways". Why is the usage of like correct here?

She is going to buy the clothes like shirt, t-shirt.--wrong

she is going to buy the clothes such as shirt,t-shirt-- right (examples of clothes)

Like Sam, I play in the garden --right (comparison)

Hello AR15J and RMD007,

1. Many of our students also raise the same question as to how same pronoun can be used to refer to two different noun antecedents. We at e-GMAT do not subscribe to any such rule. We apply and encourage our students also to apply meaning-based approach rather than rule-oriented approach.

The context of the sentence makes it absolutely clear that pronoun their correctly refers to entrepreneurs and pronoun they correctly refers to companies. The companies belong to the entrepreneurs, and the companies should seem larger than they may actually be. There is no other meaning possible.

Takeaway: As long as they refer to their logical antecedents without any ambiguity whatsoever, same pronouns can be used to refer to different noun entities.

2. It seems that the GMAC has altered its stance on the usage of like. The thing to bear in mind is that if an answer choice uses like to present examples and not comparison, we cannot reject that choice only because it does not present comparison. We will have to look for a deterministic error to reject that choice.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Kudos [?]: 9074 [0], given: 335

Chat Moderator
G

Kudos [?]: 85 [0], given: 139

Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GPA: 4
WE: Engineering (Telecommunications)
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 08 Jun 2017, 10:03
egmat wrote:
AR15J wrote:
Hi Expert,

I already read all explanation including Pronz's, and after reading the explanations, I was convinced with the right choice. However, I have following doubts.

1. I saw the snakes lying behind the buildings. They were playing there. They were built before 10 years. --wrong

Above sentence is absolutely wrong. However, it clearly states the meaning: first "they" refers to snakes, and second "they" refers to building

A pronoun can have only one antecedent. Is it allowed for a pronoun in different forms(one possessive and one subjective form ) to refer different antecedents?

Especially in the early years, new entrepreneurs may need to find resourceful ways, like renting temporary office space or using answering services, to make their companies seem larger and more firmly established than they may actually be.

In the above sentence, "their" refers to entrepreneurs, and they refer to the companies. Please explain.

2. Like is used to compare, not to present examples. "Renting temporary office space" or "using answering services" are the examples of the "resourceful ways". Why is the usage of like correct here?

She is going to buy the clothes like shirt, t-shirt.--wrong

she is going to buy the clothes such as shirt,t-shirt-- right (examples of clothes)

Like Sam, I play in the garden --right (comparison)

Hello AR15J and RMD007,

1. Many of our students also raise the same question as to how same pronoun can be used to refer to two different noun antecedents. We at e-GMAT do not subscribe to any such rule. We apply and encourage our students also to apply meaning-based approach rather than rule-oriented approach.

The context of the sentence makes it absolutely clear that pronoun their correctly refers to entrepreneurs and pronoun they correctly refers to companies. The companies belong to the entrepreneurs, and the companies should seem larger than they may actually be. There is no other meaning possible.

Takeaway: As long as they refer to their logical antecedents without any ambiguity whatsoever, same pronouns can be used to refer to different noun entities.

2. It seems that the GMAC has altered its stance on the usage of like. The thing to bear in mind is that if an answer choice uses like to present examples and not comparison, we cannot reject that choice only because it does not present comparison. We will have to look for a deterministic error to reject that choice.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha

Hello GMATNinja,

Do you agree to this explanation?

Kudos [?]: 85 [0], given: 139

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 2

Show Tags

New post 17 Jun 2017, 01:47
AbdurRakib wrote:
Especially in the early years, new entrepreneurs may need to find resourceful ways, like renting temporary office space or using answering services, that make their company seem large and more firmly established than they may actually be.

OG 2017 New Question

My pick is B .

I read the given sentence by removing examples and it came out as below:

Especially in the early years, new entrepreneurs may need to find resourceful ways [...] make their company seem large and more firmly established than they may actually be.

And if we read the above sentence the only option fit is B.

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 2

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 2

Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.1
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)

Show Tags

New post 17 Jun 2017, 08:09
make their company seem large and more firmly established than they may

I would be happy if someone clear out this little confusion of mine

the first "their" is used to refer to the entrepreneurs, but the "they" in the last part of the sentence is referring to the companies, considering that the comparison holds good. Can a single sentence have more than one pronoun, of the same type, referring to different identities??

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 2

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 101

Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GMAT 1: 620 Q48 V26
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 07 Jul 2017, 05:47
Pronz wrote:
Warning: Really long post.

Problems with option D:

X so that Y: Usage of this idiom implies:
1) Y is subordinate to X
2)Y is adverbial, i.e., it is an explainer for the clause X. It answers the question why X?
Why do the new entrepreneurs need to find resourceful ways? So that the companies seem larger and more established.

While this makes perfect sense logically, this is not the intended meaning. It is not clear who makes the companies seem larger and more established. The intended meaning is to bring out the intent : the ability of new age entrepreneurs to control/influence the outcome.

Analogous question:OG #171

In 1527 King Henry VII sought to have his marriage to Queen Catherine annulled so as to marry Anne Boleyn.

A) so as to marry
Doesn't make it clear who is to marry Anne Boleyn? Is it King Henry VII? Queen Catherine? Anyone else in the world ? GMATis uncomfortable with this level of logical ambiguity.
D) so that he could marry
Aha! So...he himself wanted to marry Anne Boleyn. No wonder he tried to annul the marriage.

To resolve between A) and D) we have to use the same logic.

Too subtle? Unfortunately this is the only way to resolve this split correctly, as some of you intuitively figured out.

Key takeway:
The to-infinitive states purpose with the subject involved more directly,whereas "so X that Y" has more indirect implications.
In broader terms, grammar alone is insufficient to get through SC: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/ ... -questions
Here is how you can solve this question using meaning:

Converting this question into an analogous easier to digest sentence to spot, extract and replace:

A)We need to find ways THAT beat GMAT.
B)We need to find ways TO beat the GMAT.
C)We need to ways THUS beating the GMAT
D)We need to find the way SO THAT GMAT is beaten.
E)We need to find ways OF beating the GMAT.

Only E) and B) are correct, because OF and TO are the correct preposition that go with WAYS, as confirmed by the official explanation.
The basis of this decision is meaning: We are concerned with the ability to control the outcome of the GMAT. This is why demonstrative THAT in A is wrong, the adverbials THUS in C) and SO THAT in D) are all wrong.

My 2 cents:

If you see this as the only split to resolve between the two options(one that uses so X that Y & the other uses X to Y) then the questions is experimental and you dont have to worry about it, as Ron and Mike both agree that GMAT does't test only this split. (I can post citations if someone requests them.)

On the other hand this questions does have another split. Comparing B) and D) vertically(since we have already eliminated all other options based on criteria already discussed above) quickly lands us an easy decision point.

Did you catch the subtle scope shift? There is significant loss in intended meaning.

Why at all should new age entrepreneurs be worried about all companies? They are desperate to search for innovative means so as to ensure that their companies see the light of day!

Other splits not discussed (Disclaimer :read only if really really interested):

How to resolve between "of" and "to" without using other splits:Chronology!

Again meaning gives a interesting insight that helps me arrive at the right answer without searching for other splits.
Implies correct chronology: the infinitive "may need to" is futuristic: When the statement has been made the companies have not yet been made to appear larger or well established. First we find ways, then implement it and ultimately reap the benefits.
Chronology of the gerund "making":Since a gerund is a noun, it exists objectively, i.e., it already exists(either starting at the same time or before the time of the main clause.
This implies, that the companies have already or are currently being made to appear well established. This is grossly incorrect, as the time of occurrence of main sentence(present), new age entrepreneurs have not found ways yet.
This is not evident in first read, but read it a couple of times and you can recognize why this is enough to solve the question.

P.S.:Usage of Like is completely justified since the author of the sentence is speculating on hypothetical examples ("may need to..."), not literal ones.

Please give kudos if you liked it, took me a while to type this out.

Really great explanation man..As I'm a non-native speaker of English,I really got stuck between A and D as D is grammatically right.

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 101

Director
Director
P

Kudos [?]: 220 [0], given: 188

Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 26 Jul 2017, 13:16

(A) that make their company seem large ===> as the non-underlined portion mentions "they" it should refer to plural companies and not singular "company"

(B) to make their companies seem larger ===> CORRECT - To make is the correct usage here

(C) thus making their companies seem larger - thus making companies seem larger is not correct, slightly distorts the meaning.

(D) so that the companies seem larger - "so that" is not the correct usage here

(E) of making their company seem large ===> as the non-underlined portion mentions "they" it should refer to plural companies and not singular "company"

Hence, Answer is B

Did you like the answer? Hit Kudos :good

"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not: nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not: the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent."

Worried About IDIOMS? Here is a Daily Practice List: https://gmatclub.com/forum/idiom-s-ydmuley-s-daily-practice-list-250731.html#p1937393

Best AWA Template: https://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-get-6-0-awa-my-guide-64327.html#p470475

Kudos [?]: 220 [0], given: 188

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 05 Aug 2017, 01:37
I think difference between B and D is that `their companies` in B refers to companies of the entrepreneurs but `so that companies` in D refers to whose companies? May be companies of the entrepreneurs or companies of others in general, thus D is ambiguous.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager
B
Status: Final Call! Will Achieve Target ANyHow This Tym! :)

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 135

GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V25
GPA: 3.8
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 11 Aug 2017, 21:39

(E) of making their companies seem large

If in option E, company is replaced with companies, than is this option correct? Also, if this is correct, how the structures connected by AND are parallel?

making their companies seem large
AND
more firmly established than they may actually be.

daagh can you please answer this query?

Regards,
Varun

Trying my best..... will succeed definitely! :)

The Moment You Think About Giving Up, Think Of The Reason Why You Held On So Long.
+1 Kudos if you find this post helpful. :)

Do Check OG 2017 SC Solutions - http://gmatwithcj.com/solutions-gmat-official-guide-2017-sentence-correction-questions/

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 135

VP
VP
G

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 535

Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: 314 Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)

Show Tags

New post 12 Aug 2017, 00:30
AbdurRakib wrote:

(A) that make their company seem large
(B) to make their companies seem larger
(C) thus making their companies seem larger
(D) so that the companies seem larger
(E) of making their company seem large

OG 2018 SC 688

Imo B

A we need companies

B correct infinitive of purpose

C This also show that they have achieved the result but it should show purpose.

D E is the result not the purpose

E of making is wrong

We are more often frightened than hurt; and we suffer more from imagination than from reality

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 535

Top Contributor
Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying

Kudos [?]: 7934 [0], given: 364

WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 12 Aug 2017, 05:42
Top Contributor
What does 'they may actually be' modify? IMO, both the --seem larger and more firm establishment--. If it were to modify only the second point, then the correct way of expressing that structure would be --- more firmly established than they may actually be and seem larger---.
One can have proof of this from the Harlem magazines case.
Published in Harlem, the owner and editor of the Messenger were two young journalists, Chandler Owen and A. Philip Randolph, who would later make his reputation as a labor leader.
(C) Published in Harlem, the Messenger was owned and edited by two young journalists, A. Philip Randolph, who would later make his reputation as a labor leader, and Chandler Owen.
One can see the flipped structure in which the correct answer.
This evidently means that larger is require rather than large to go in tandem with the comparative comparator' they'

vnigam wrote
(
Quote:
E) Of making their companies seem large

If in option E, company is replaced with companies, than is this option correct? In addition, if this is correct, how the structures connected by AND are parallel?

making their companies seem large
AND
more firmly established than they may actually be.

The revised E isn't still good enough since large has been retained rather than larger

“Better than a thousand days of diligent study is one day with a great teacher” – a Japanese proverb.

Kudos [?]: 7934 [0], given: 364

Re: Especially in the early years, new entrepreneurs may need to find reso   [#permalink] 12 Aug 2017, 05:42

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   [ 53 posts ] 

Especially in the early years, new entrepreneurs may need to find reso

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap