GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Oct 2018, 09:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Especially in the early years, new entrepreneurs may need to find reso

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

GMAT Club Verbal Expert
P
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: Especially in the early years, new entrepreneurs may need to find reso  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2018, 13:04
hero_with_1000_faces wrote:
In this question, what is the main verb ? is to make ? if yes, can a to verb be main verb ?

Especially in the early years, new entrepreneurs may need to find resourceful ways, like renting temporary office space or using answering services, to make their companies seem larger and more firmly established than they may actually be.

A "to-verb" -- also known as an infinitive if you like grammar terminology -- can never be the main verb in a sentence. Often, it functions as an adverb describing the main verb. Take a silly example: "I need soap to clean the dried muck off of my children." In this case, the main verb is "need." "To clean" functions as an adverb describing what I "need" the soap to do.

Similarly, in the above example you cited, "need" is the main verb and "to make" functions as an adverb.

I hope that helps!

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor @ www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | Instagram | Food blog | Notoriously bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars
Series 1: Fundamentals of SC & CR | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja in your post. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

GMAT Club Verbal Expert
P
Re: Especially in the early years, new entrepreneurs may need to find reso  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2018, 13:34
thangvietnam wrote:
I have difficulty you explained above. if this dificulty appear only in experimental problem, it is good.
in many og problem, a choice is not illogic but is not intended meaning and this choice make trouble for me.

Usually, when a test-taker says that an answer choice doesn't convey the intended meaning, what she really means is that the answer choice is either illogical or unclear. The GMAT can't ask us to read minds! So it's hard to imagine that a perfectly logical sentence would be wrong simply because it wasn't the GMAT's intended meaning.

In this case, the previous poster had indicated that (D) did not convey the intended meaning. In other words, she or he is saying that (D) is illogical.

Quote:
D) Especially in the early years, new entrepreneurs may need to find resourceful ways, like renting temporary office space or using answering services, so that the companies seem larger and more firmly established than they may actually be.

If we read the sentence without the modifiers in red, it becomes, "New entrepreneurs may need to find resourceful ways, so that the companies seem larger and more firmly established than they may actually be." Huh? "So that" implies a reason for having performed an action. So the sentence seems to explain a reason for the entrepreneurs "to find new ways." What on earth does that mean? Find new ways to do what? This is why we can eliminate (D) - it doesn't make any sense.

(B) on the other hand, conveys what the entrepreneurs are finding new ways to do. They're finding new ways "to make their companies seem larger." (B) isn't better because I used telepathy to determine what the writer wants to say; it's better because it's clearer and more logical. (I use my telepathy for things that are far more interesting than GMAT questions. :grin:)

I hope that helps!

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor @ www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | Instagram | Food blog | Notoriously bad at PMs

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja in your post. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.

How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

GMAT Club Verbal Expert
P

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2018, 13:35
thangvietnam wrote:
I have difficulty you explained above. if this dificulty appear only in experimental problem, it is good.
in many og problem, a choice is not illogic but is not intended meaning and this choice make trouble for me.

Usually, when a test-taker says that an answer choice doesn't convey the intended meaning, what she really means is that the answer choice is either illogical or unclear. The GMAT can't ask us to read minds! So it's hard to imagine that a perfectly logical sentence would be wrong simply because it wasn't the GMAT's intended meaning.

In this case, the previous poster had indicated that (D) did not convey the intended meaning. In other words, she or he is saying that (D) is illogical.

Quote:
D) Especially in the early years, new entrepreneurs may need to find resourceful ways, like renting temporary office space or using answering services, so that the companies seem larger and more firmly established than they may actually be.

If we read the sentence without the modifiers in red, it becomes, "New entrepreneurs may need to find resourceful ways, so that the companies seem larger and more firmly established than they may actually be." Huh? "So that" implies a reason for having performed an action. So the sentence seems to explain a reason for the entrepreneurs "to find new ways." What on earth does that mean? Find new ways to do what? This is why we can eliminate (D) - it doesn't make any sense.

(B) on the other hand, conveys what the entrepreneurs are finding new ways to do. They're finding new ways "to make their companies seem larger." (B) isn't better because I used telepathy to determine what the writer wants to say; it's better because it's clearer and more logical. (I use my telepathy for things that are far more interesting than GMAT questions. :grin:)

I hope that helps!

Need an expert reply?

EMPOWERgmat Instructor
B

Show Tags

New post 24 Sep 2018, 11:29
Hello Everyone!

Let's take a closer look at this question to figure out how to get to the correct answer quickly! First, here is the original question with any major differences between each option highlighted in orange:

Especially in the early years, new entrepreneurs may need to find resourceful ways, like renting temporary office space or using answering services, that make their company seem large and more firmly established than they may actually be.

(A) that make their company seem large
(B) to make their companies seem larger
(C) thus making their companies seem larger
(D) so that the companies seem larger
(E) of making their company seem large

After a quick glance over each option, a few major differences jump out:

1. How they begin: that / to / thus / so that / of
2. company vs. companies
3. large vs. larger

The best way to tackle a GMAT question is to pick out the issues that could potentially eliminate the most answers. For this question, #2 and #3 on our list will knock out 2-3 options easily, so let's start there.

If we start with #3 on our list (large vs. larger), we will eliminate 2-3 answers right away.

After reading through the entire sentence, it's clear that the advice given is meant to make a company seem both larger than it truly is and more firmly established than it truly is. When using the comparative for one item (more firmly established), we must use it for both items! It doesn't make sense to say the advice makes your company large than it truly is and more firmly established than it truly is, does it? So, let's see how our options stack up:

(A) that make their company seem large
(B) to make their companies seem larger
(C) thus making their companies seem larger
(D) so that the companies seem larger
(E) of making their company seem large

We can eliminate options A and E right away because they don't use the correct comparative term "larger" to show how the company looks to how it really is.

If we look at #2 on our list, we would also eliminate options A and E. Since we're talking about the plural "entrepreneurs," we're also talking about their plural "companies" they're starting. It wouldn't make sense to say all entrepreneurs are involved in starting the same company, right?

Now we're left with #1 on our list: how to begin the phrase (to / thus / so that). If we look closely at the original sentence, there are some non-essential phrases that we can cross out to better help us figure out which option is best:

Especially in the early years, new entrepreneurs may need to find resourceful ways, like renting temporary office space or using answering services,that make their company seem large and more firmly established than they may actually be.

Whichever option we choose MUST make sense with and without these non-essential phrases added in! I've added in the rest of the sentence for each one, so we can see which option works the best:

(B) new entrepreneurs may need to find resourceful ways to make their companies seem larger

This option is CORRECT because the word "to" is used correctly here to directly show purpose. It's clear that the entrepreneurs' actions are done with the purpose of making their companies look good.

(C) new entrepreneurs may need to find resourceful ways, thus making their companies seem larger

This option is INCORRECT because it changes the logical meaning of the sentence. "Thus" is meant to show the results of an action, not the purpose of an action. We don't know for sure if these resourceful ways will actually work or not. However, we know that entrepreneurs should do these things with the purpose of trying to make their companies look better, so using "to" is much clearer.

(D) new entrepreneurs may need to find resourceful ways so that the companies seem larger

This option is also INCORRECT because the phrase "so that" doesn't work here. "So that" is meant to show that one person does an action so that another person can do/no do something as a result. Since a company is not a person, it doesn't make sense to use it here. Saying "to" is much clearer and shows a direct purpose.

There you have it - option B is the correct one! It uses the correct comparative "larger," agrees in number (entrepreneurs/they/companies), and uses the best conjunction to show purpose (to).

Don't study for the GMAT. Train for it.

"Students study. GMAT assassins train."

★★★★★ GMAT Club Verified Reviews for EMPOWERgmat & Special Discount

GMAT Club Verbal Advantage EMPOWERgmat Critical Reasoning Question Pack

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Especially in the early years, new entrepreneurs may need to find reso &nbs [#permalink] 24 Sep 2018, 11:29

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   [ 44 posts ] 

Especially in the early years, new entrepreneurs may need to find reso

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap