It is currently 17 Oct 2017, 23:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Especially in the early years, new entrepreneurs may need to find reso

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 14

Re: Especially in the early years, new entrepreneurs may need to find reso [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Jul 2016, 10:16
A few learnings from the problem

1) Non-underlined part - This is the first example of its kind in which the correct answer uses 'like' to introduce examples.

2) Even if there is a clear case of introducing option c) thus, d)so that - to give meaning to sentence i.e. Why new entrepreneurs are doing this ? The Idiomatic usage takes over and makes the causal usage irrelevant

3) In a single sentence, their refers to entrepreneurs and they refers to companies. Not that pronoun ambiguity is an absolute rule, GMAC allows these kind of deviations

4) Infinitive +to construction - New....may need to find ways (leaving Non essentials) to make....

Good question

-SouthCity

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 14

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 15 [1], given: 31

Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V37
WE: Analyst (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Especially in the early years, new entrepreneurs may need to find reso [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2016, 07:08
This post received
KUDOS
AbdurRakib wrote:
Especially in the early years, new entrepreneurs may need to find resourceful ways, like renting temporary office space or using answering services, that make their company seem large and more firmly established than they may actually be.

A) that make their company seem large
B) to make their companies seem larger
C) thus making their companies seem larger
D) so that the companies seem larger
E) of making their company seem large

OG 2017 New Question

well well well, what do we have here, GMAC using 'Like' to give examples? :)
find resourceful ways.. to is correct Idiom according to me.

Kudos [?]: 15 [1], given: 31

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 81

GMAT 1: 740 Q51 V39

Show Tags

New post 01 Aug 2016, 02:10
Now, let's come to what OG has to say =

Clauses beginning so that can express purpose, but do not fit with "ways" in the manner required here: to or of is needed after ways. It very clearly notes that either "to" OR "of" fits after "resourceful ways" in the sentence.

If you ask me why, I will say that I too don't know. But, I am looking out for a reason for this and will update here.

Richa Champion | My GMAT Journey - 470 720 740

Target 760+

Not Improving after Multiple attempts. I can guide You.
Contact me richacrunch2@gmail.com

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 81

BSchool Forum Moderator
S

Kudos [?]: 207 [0], given: 79

Concentration: Strategy
Schools: Fisher '19 (M)
GPA: 3.71
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 03 Aug 2016, 03:43
MBAPrepCoach wrote:
The subject proceeding their is entrepreneurs, the subject proceeding they is companies. As long as there's a clear antecedent for each pronoun, it's okay.

Farrell Dyan Hehn, MBA
Admissions Consultant & Verbal Tutor MBAPrepCoach.com

Sorry, but I've not seen this happening on any official question. It would be great if you can put up a official question where this rule is followed. I still feel that this is something new!

sayantanc2k Any views on pronoun ambiguity? Your views on the same is highly appreciated.

11 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 22 [11], given: 58

Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V44
GPA: 3.85
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 03 Aug 2016, 10:11
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Warning: Really long post.

Especially in the early years, new entrepreneurs may need to find resourceful ways, like renting temporary office space or using answering services, that make their company seem large and more firmly established than they may actually be.

Problems with option D:

X so that Y: Usage of this idiom implies:
1) Y is subordinate to X
2)Y is adverbial, i.e., it is an explainer for the clause X. It answers the question why X?
Why do the new entrepreneurs need to find resourceful ways? So that the companies seem larger and more established.

While this makes perfect sense logically, this is not the intended meaning. It is not clear who makes the companies seem larger and more established. The intended meaning is to bring out the intent : the ability of new age entrepreneurs to control/influence the outcome.

Analogous question:OG #171

In 1527 King Henry VII sought to have his marriage to Queen Catherine annulled so as to marry Anne Boleyn.

A) so as to marry
Doesn't make it clear who is to marry Anne Boleyn? Is it King Henry VII? Queen Catherine? Anyone else in the world ? GMATis uncomfortable with this level of logical ambiguity.
D) so that he could marry
Aha! So...he himself wanted to marry Anne Boleyn. No wonder he tried to annul the marriage.

To resolve between A) and D) we have to use the same logic.

Too subtle? Unfortunately this is the only way to resolve this split correctly, as some of you intuitively figured out.

Key takeway:
The to-infinitive states purpose with the subject involved more directly,whereas "so X that Y" has more indirect implications.
In broader terms, grammar alone is insufficient to get through SC: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/ ... -questions
Here is how you can solve this question using meaning:

Converting this question into an analogous easier to digest sentence to spot, extract and replace:

A)We need to find ways THAT beat GMAT.
B)We need to find ways TO beat the GMAT.
C)We need to ways THUS beating the GMAT
D)We need to find the way SO THAT GMAT is beaten.
E)We need to find ways OF beating the GMAT.

Only E) and B) are correct, because OF and TO are the correct preposition that go with WAYS, as confirmed by the official explanation.
The basis of this decision is meaning: We are concerned with the ability to control the outcome of the GMAT. This is why demonstrative THAT in A is wrong, the adverbials THUS in C) and SO THAT in D) are all wrong.

My 2 cents:

If you see this as the only split to resolve between the two options(one that uses so X that Y & the other uses X to Y) then the questions is experimental and you dont have to worry about it, as Ron and Mike both agree that GMAT does't test only this split. (I can post citations if someone requests them.)

On the other hand this questions does have another split. Comparing B) and D) vertically(since we have already eliminated all other options based on criteria already discussed above) quickly lands us an easy decision point.

Did you catch the subtle scope shift? There is significant loss in intended meaning.

Why at all should new age entrepreneurs be worried about all companies? They are desperate to search for innovative means so as to ensure that their companies see the light of day!

Other splits not discussed (Disclaimer :read only if really really interested):

How to resolve between "of" and "to" without using other splits:Chronology!

Again meaning gives a interesting insight that helps me arrive at the right answer without searching for other splits.
Implies correct chronology: the infinitive "may need to" is futuristic: When the statement has been made the companies have not yet been made to appear larger or well established. First we find ways, then implement it and ultimately reap the benefits.
Chronology of the gerund "making":Since a gerund is a noun, it exists objectively, i.e., it already exists(either starting at the same time or before the time of the main clause.
This implies, that the companies have already or are currently being made to appear well established. This is grossly incorrect, as the time of occurrence of main sentence(present), new age entrepreneurs have not found ways yet.
This is not evident in first read, but read it a couple of times and you can recognize why this is enough to solve the question.

P.S.:Usage of Like is completely justified since the author of the sentence is speculating on hypothetical examples ("may need to..."), not literal ones.

Please give kudos if you liked it, took me a while to type this out.

Kudos [?]: 22 [11], given: 58

BSchool Forum Moderator
S

Concentration: Strategy
Schools: Fisher '19 (M)
GPA: 3.71
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 03 Aug 2016, 12:16
Pronz you have posted a really great explanation and is definitely worthy of a kudo. Can you please comment on the pronoun ambiguity issue as well?

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 58

Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V44
GPA: 3.85
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 03 Aug 2016, 22:37
Sure.

The problem that you may have is because of a common trap that GMAT employs: "the middleman." In this case it is "like renting temporary office space or using answering services." Now this is verbose, really annoying,and undermines the underlined relations with context. In fact, you can rewrite the sentence without this part to prevent your judgement from getting clouded, and the trunk of the sentence becomes:

New entrepreneurs may need to find resourceful ways that make their company seem large and more firmly established than they may actually be.

Now it is easy to identify more relationships as you've reduced the distance between them and cleaned out the garbage.

First, in option A, "their" referents are "new entrepreneurs". New entrepreneurs are certainly concerned with everyone who has a company, rather than a total of a company, therefore, company should be changed to companies.

Furthermore, "They" must refer to "companies". Pronoun and noun concord mandates and confirms the above change to plural. Singular "company" cannot be right!

The only rule for pronoun ambiguity that you need to worry about on the GMAT is the logical kind.

For more information on understanding this, check out this well written link:

https://e-gmat.com/blog/gmat-verbal/english-grammar-concepts/pronouns/address-pronoun-ambiguity

The rule is: Pronoun should have only ONE logical antecedent.

As in this sentence, with the correct option there is no logical ambiguity. I hope this is evident after removing the middleman. "They may actually be" , in the logical context of the sentence can refer only to "companies". Try replacing the pronoun with the noun that you think is the antecedent and you may get grossly incorrect sentence.

Corrected answer reads:
New entrepreneurs may need to find resourceful ways to make their companies seem larger and more firmly established than they may actually be.

New entrepreneurs may need to find resourceful ways to make the new entrepreneurs' companies seem larger and more firmly established than the new entrepreneurs may actually be.

Nonsensical meaning: you can see why this not a contender at all.

New entrepreneurs may need to find resourceful ways to make the new entrepreneurs' companies seem larger and more firmly established than the companies may actually be.

Strongly correlates with intended meaning: This is the only possible correct sentence!

In order to practice more of this concept with official precedents, follow the myth-busting link below:

https://e-gmat.com/blogs/pronoun-usage-myths-and-facts/

Dont forget to kudo this if you learnt something!

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 58

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 112 [0], given: 36

Concentration: General Management, International Business
WE: Engineering (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 12 Aug 2016, 17:18
Especially in the early years, new entrepreneurs may need to find resourceful ways,like renting temporary office space or using answering services, that make their company seem large and more firmly established than they may actually be.

Just remove the modifier highlighted, and only B would make is correct.

Kudos [?]: 112 [0], given: 36

VP
VP
S

Kudos [?]: 158 [0], given: 916

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2016, 01:38
[quote="AbdurRakib"]Especially in the early years, new entrepreneurs may need to find resourceful ways, like renting temporary office space or using answering services, that make their company seem large and more firmly established than they may actually be.

hard and basic

do to do2
in this pattern, which is very popular, the do 2 has not happened yet.
in the patter
do+comma doing 2
doing 2 is an action which is not separate from main action and of course, happen simultaneously with the main action.
from above things, "to do" here is better than comma+doing.

visit my facebook to help me.
on facebook, my name is: thang thang thang

Kudos [?]: 158 [0], given: 916

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 81

Show Tags

New post 20 Nov 2016, 06:16
Thanks for that explanation :)

Abhishek009 wrote:
AbdurRakib wrote:

OG 2017 New Question

Especially in the early years, new entrepreneurs may need to find resourceful ways, like renting temporary office space or using answering services,to make their companies seem larger and more firmly established than they may actually be.

New Entrepreneurs==>Their companies==>They

Larger and more firmly established than............. = Correct Comparison.

to find ........ to make = Maintains parallelism

Hence Answer must be (B)

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 81

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 135

GPA: 3.9
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 07 Feb 2017, 23:18
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hi Expert,

I already read all explanation including Pronz's, and after reading the explanations, I was convinced with the right choice. However, I have following doubts.

1. I saw the snakes lying behind the buildings. They were playing there. They were built before 10 years. --wrong

Above sentence is absolutely wrong. However, it clearly states the meaning: first "they" refers to snakes, and second "they" refers to building

A pronoun can have only one antecedent. Is it allowed for a pronoun in different forms(one possessive and one subjective form ) to refer different antecedents?

Especially in the early years, new entrepreneurs may need to find resourceful ways, like renting temporary office space or using answering services, to make their companies seem larger and more firmly established than they may actually be.

In the above sentence, "their" refers to entrepreneurs, and they refer to the companies. Please explain.

2. Like is used to compare, not to present examples. "Renting temporary office space" or "using answering services" are the examples of the "resourceful ways". Why is the usage of like correct here?

She is going to buy the clothes like shirt, t-shirt.--wrong

she is going to buy the clothes such as shirt,t-shirt-- right (examples of clothes)

Like Sam, I play in the garden --right (comparison)

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 135

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 66

Concentration: Technology, Strategy
Schools: IIMB
GMAT 1: 580 Q48 V22
GPA: 3.7
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 08 Feb 2017, 07:21
Same Doubts, Experts please address...

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 66

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Expert
S

Kudos [?]: 3282 [1], given: 22

Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 09 Feb 2017, 08:19
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
AR15J wrote:
Hi Expert,

I already read all explanation including Pronz's, and after reading the explanations, I was convinced with the right choice. However, I have following doubts.

1. I saw the snakes lying behind the buildings. They were playing there. They were built before 10 years. --wrong

Above sentence is absolutely wrong. However, it clearly states the meaning: first "they" refers to snakes, and second "they" refers to building

A pronoun can have only one antecedent. Is it allowed for a pronoun in different forms(one possessive and one subjective form ) to refer different antecedents?

Especially in the early years, new entrepreneurs may need to find resourceful ways, like renting temporary office space or using answering services, to make their companies seem larger and more firmly established than they may actually be.

In the above sentence, "their" refers to entrepreneurs, and they refer to the companies. Please explain.

2. Like is used to compare, not to present examples. "Renting temporary office space" or "using answering services" are the examples of the "resourceful ways". Why is the usage of like correct here?

She is going to buy the clothes like shirt, t-shirt.--wrong

she is going to buy the clothes such as shirt,t-shirt-- right (examples of clothes)

Like Sam, I play in the garden --right (comparison)

Keats wrote:
MBAPrepCoach wrote:
The subject proceeding their is entrepreneurs, the subject proceeding they is companies. As long as there's a clear antecedent for each pronoun, it's okay.

Farrell Dyan Hehn, MBA
Admissions Consultant & Verbal Tutor MBAPrepCoach.com

Sorry, but I've not seen this happening on any official question. It would be great if you can put up a official question where this rule is followed. I still feel that this is something new!

sayantanc2k Any views on pronoun ambiguity? Your views on the same is highly appreciated.

1. There is a rule mentioned in some good GMAT guides that all "they" / "them" / "their" in a sentence must refer to the same plural antecedent. However it appears that GMAT has recently become lenient on this issue.

2. GMAT also seems to have become lenient on the use of "like" to introduce examples.

Kudos [?]: 3282 [1], given: 22

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 41

GPA: 3.75
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 11 Feb 2017, 12:55

If we remove the comma section, sentence below can make sense only if the dash is replaced by "to". So Answer is B
Especially in the early years, new entrepreneurs may need to find resourceful ways _____ make their company seem large and more firmly established than they may actually be.

If you like it, give kudos. Thanks :)

~audentes fortuna juvat~

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 41

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 76 [0], given: 18

Show Tags

New post 13 Feb 2017, 14:12
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Especially in the early years, new entrepreneurs may need to find resourceful ways, like renting temporary office space or using answering
services, than make their company seem large and more firmly established that they may actually be.

B) to make their companies seem large

Last edited by abhishekdadarwal2009 on 13 Feb 2017, 18:26, edited 1 time in total.

Top Contributor
Director
Director
S
Affiliations: CrackVerbal

Kudos [?]: 574 [0], given: 6

GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46

Show Tags

New post 13 Feb 2017, 16:39
Top Contributor
the problem is not properly transcribed -

"and more firmly established than they may actually be." - change "that" to "than".

Option B - "to make their companies seem larger" - change "large" to "larger".

let us look at the answer options -

A - Incorrect.
"their company" is incorrect. look at the non-underlined portion - "more firmly established than they may actually be."
Also, we cannot say "large than". We need to use "larger".

B - Correct.
"ways to make their companies" - "to" correctly specifies a goal/purpose.

C - Incorrect.
"new entrepreneurs may need to find resourceful ways, thus making their companies seem larger"

Here the comma + ing modifier seems to indicate an effect of the previous clause. "making their companies seem larger" does not make sense as the effect of "may need to find resourceful ways".

D - Incorrect.
"the companies" does not make it clear that we are referring to the companies founded by those entrepreneurs.
"so that" does not make much sense here -
"need to find resourceful ways, so that the companies seem larger" - this suggests that only the fact that entrepreneurs need to find resourceful ways is sufficient.
It does not answer the question "What kind of ways?". Option B, on the other hand, makes this clear - "ways to make the company seem larger".

E - Incorrect.
"their company" and "large" are both incorrect.

Enroll for our GMAT Trial Course here -
http://gmatonline.crackverbal.com/

Learn all PS and DS strategies here-
http://gmatonline.crackverbal.com/p/mastering-quant-on-gmat

For more info on GMAT and MBA, follow us on @AskCrackVerbal

Top Contributor
Director
Director
S
Affiliations: CrackVerbal

GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46

Show Tags

New post 13 Feb 2017, 16:46
Top Contributor
Also, note that in the correct answer option the same pronoun stands for different things -

"ways to make their companies seem larger and more firmly established than they actually may be".

"their" refers to entrepreneurs.
"they" refers to companies.

The thing to remember is that they are in different clauses. the second follows the conjunction "than".
As long as this happens does not happen in the same clause, this usage is fine.

Enroll for our GMAT Trial Course here -
http://gmatonline.crackverbal.com/

Learn all PS and DS strategies here-
http://gmatonline.crackverbal.com/p/mastering-quant-on-gmat

For more info on GMAT and MBA, follow us on @AskCrackVerbal

Top Contributor
Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying

Kudos [?]: 7875 [0], given: 363

WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 14 Feb 2017, 02:20
Top Contributor
Quote:
Especially in the early years, new entrepreneurs may need to find resourceful ways, like renting temporary office space or using answering services, than make their company seem large and more firmly established that they may actually be.

This topic is said to be from Official Guide. Then it is interesting to note that the comparison marker' like' is used to denote examples in the non-underlined portion.

“Better than a thousand days of diligent study is one day with a great teacher” – a Japanese proverb.

Kudos [?]: 7875 [0], given: 363

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
S

Kudos [?]: 3282 [0], given: 22

Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 18 Feb 2017, 04:04
ankujgupta wrote:
The question isn't correct than should be changed to that. The option B is not correct. It should be larger

It appears that the changes have already been implemented - closing this report.

Kudos [?]: 3282 [0], given: 22

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 22 Feb 2017, 15:22

the wrong choices have meaning errors and option B clearly gives the correct meaning.

Re: Especially in the early years, new entrepreneurs may need to find reso   [#permalink] 22 Feb 2017, 15:22

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3    Next  [ 53 posts ] 

Especially in the early years, new entrepreneurs may need to find reso

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap