It is currently 15 Dec 2017, 09:41

Decision(s) Day!:

CHAT Rooms | Olin (St. Louis) R1 | Tuck R1 | Ross R1 | Fuqua R1

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Exam Pack IR doubt

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [1], given: 16

Exam Pack IR doubt [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Dec 2014, 08:05
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Can any one give detail solution of second question? Please explain how I will think and do these questions quickly. Get Kudos
Attachments

Exam Pack IR.jpg
Exam Pack IR.jpg [ 161.21 KiB | Viewed 2012 times ]

Kudos [?]: 5 [1], given: 16

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 75 [2], given: 28

Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39
Re: Exam Pack IR doubt [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Dec 2014, 10:34
This post received
KUDOS
Hi Rajibuddin,

If I were low on time and just had to eyeball, I would guess C (Section C) based on where the dots are concentrated. You can see that most of the students in Section C tend to study for fewer hours than students in other sections. However, you could also do the math fairly quickly to determine which Section had the lowest average (remember, the average will be the total number of hours studied/11 students in each section). Therefore, you can simply add the total number of hours studied by each student in each section and determine which section had the lowest number. You don't need to do the division since they will all be divided by the same denominator of 11.

Section A: 1*2 + 2*2 + 3*3 + 4*1 + 5*2 + 8*1 = 37 hours
Section B: 1*1 + 2*3 + 3*1 + 4*4 + 5*1 + 6*1 = 37 hours
Section C: 1*2 + 2*4 + 3*4 + 4*1 = 26 hours

Therefore, the answer would be Section C had the smallest average reported time spent studying during the week.

Hope this helps!

Kudos [?]: 75 [2], given: 28

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 16

Show Tags

New post 30 Dec 2014, 10:46
How stupid I am! I totally concentrated on the wrong exis. I concentrated on Y-xis. Thank you for the reply. It is easy now. Actually we don't need to calculate anything here. By the if the questions asked about the average from y-xis, how would you solve it?

Kudos to you

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 16

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 23

Show Tags

New post 21 Dec 2015, 04:53
i got a similar one in one of mock test, only it was about types of therapies and highest/lowest no of people benefiting from it.

good one

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 23

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 90 [0], given: 487

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 30 Jan 2017, 05:15
hopeful101candidate wrote:
Hi Rajibuddin,

If I were low on time and just had to eyeball, I would guess C (Section C) based on where the dots are concentrated. You can see that most of the students in Section C tend to study for fewer hours than students in other sections. However, you could also do the math fairly quickly to determine which Section had the lowest average (remember, the average will be the total number of hours studied/11 students in each section). Therefore, you can simply add the total number of hours studied by each student in each section and determine which section had the lowest number. You don't need to do the division since they will all be divided by the same denominator of 11.

Therefore, the answer would be Section C had the smallest average reported time spent studying during the week.

Hope this helps!

I know its a simple question but can anybody explain how to get the answer to the first question .
To find the median preparation time we need to arrange the preparation time in increasing order then find the central term.
how do we arrive at 3 using this method?

- Stne

Kudos [?]: 90 [0], given: 487

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 4 [1], given: 94

Show Tags

New post 04 Feb 2017, 11:45
This post received
KUDOS
central term is (33 +1) / 2 = 17th term
First arrange the data in non-decreasing order, since many terms have equal value.
term 1-5 -> 1 Hr
term 6-14 -> 2 Hrs
term 15-22 -> 3 Hrs --> this range contains central term
term 23-28 -> 4 Hrs
term 29-31 -> 5 Hrs
term 32 -> 6 Hrs
term 33 -> 8 Hrs
So here 17th term is 3 hrs

Kudos [?]: 4 [1], given: 94

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
G

Kudos [?]: 18136 [2], given: 236

Show Tags

New post 09 Feb 2017, 23:36
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
stne wrote:
hopeful101candidate wrote:
Hi Rajibuddin,

Hope this helps!

I know its a simple question but can anybody explain how to get the answer to the first question .
To find the median preparation time we need to arrange the preparation time in increasing order then find the central term.
how do we arrive at 3 using this method?

Responding to a pm:
Quote:

to find the median reported time , I have to arrange the reported times in increasing order then find the central term.

1 has been reported 5 times
2 has been reported 9 times
3 has been reported 8 times
4 ------------ 6 times
5 ---------- 3 times
6 ---------- 1 time
8------------ 1 time

You are correct here. 'Reported studying time' is the same as 'number of hours studied per week' on the graph.

So 1 hr has been reported by 5 people so it appears 5 times. 2 hrs has been reported by 9 people so it appears 9 times and so on...

1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2, ...
etc

The median of these reported times will be the middle value i.e. the 17th term. That term will be 3.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Get started with Veritas Prep GMAT On Demand for $199

Veritas Prep Reviews

Kudos [?]: 18136 [2], given: 236

Re: Exam Pack IR doubt   [#permalink] 09 Feb 2017, 23:36

Exam Pack IR doubt

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: chetan2u, Bunuel

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap