GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 25 Jun 2018, 01:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Federal government provided major share of funding for the natural

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

1 KUDOS received
V
WE: General Management (Non-Profit and Government)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Federal government provided major share of funding for the natural [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2017, 09:01
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

58% (01:05) correct 42% (01:18) wrong based on 257 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Federal government provided major share of funding for the natural museum filled with local relics, when it might have been expected for it to be provided by the district authorities.

A. it might have been expected for it to be provided by the district authorities.
B. it might have been expected to be provided by the district authorities.
C. it might have been expected that it should be provided by the district authorities.
D. it's funding might have been expected to be provided for by the district authorities.
E. there might have been an expectation that it would be provided by the district authorities.

If you liked my post, kindly give me a Kudos. Thanks.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
CAT Tests
Re: Federal government provided major share of funding for the natural [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2017, 10:40
Federal government provided major share of funding for the natural museum filled with local relics, when it might have been expected for it to be provided by the district authorities.

A. it might have been expected for it to be provided by the district authorities.
B. it might have been expected to be provided by the district authorities. 'it' correctly refers back to 'major share of funding'
C. it might have been expected that it should be provided by the district authorities.
D. it's funding might have been expected to be provided for by the district authorities. here 'it' is referring to museum- wrong
E. there might have been an expectation that it would be provided by the district authorities.

------------------------------
"Trust the timing of your life"
Hit Kudus if this has helped you get closer to your goal, and also to assist others save time. Tq :)

Intern
Intern
B
Re: Federal government provided major share of funding for the natural [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jan 2018, 01:51
TaN1213 wrote:

B. it might have been expected to be provided by the district authorities. 'it' correctly refers back to 'major share of funding'
D. it's funding might have been expected to be provided for by the district authorities. here 'it' is referring to museum- wrong

Hi,

Is there any grammatical mistake in C or is B more preferable for its concision?
Wharton Thread Master
D
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 4

Show Tags

New post 15 Jan 2018, 12:47
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Leadership, Technology
Schools: Copenhagen (A)
GMAT 1: 640 Q47 V32
GPA: 3.17

Show Tags

New post 15 Jan 2018, 13:13
gmatexam439 wrote:
Please explain as to why D is incorrect? And why can't "it" in B refer to museum?
I originally choose D as well... But it seems like "it's funding" and "provided for" may be redundant as they both refer to the same thing. Even though "provide for" is the correct idiom, it kinda feels like that it doesn't belong in that sentence.

Please let me know what you think

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Wharton Thread Master
D
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41

Show Tags

New post 15 Jan 2018, 13:19
anoushhashemi wrote:
gmatexam439 wrote:
Please explain as to why D is incorrect? And why can't "it" in B refer to museum?
I originally choose D as well... But it seems like "it's funding" and "provided for" may be redundant as they both refer to the same thing. Even though "provide for" is the correct idiom, it kinda feels like that it doesn't belong in that sentence.

Please let me know what you think

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

IMHO "it" is ambiguous in B while the usage of "it" is crystal clear in option D. I am awaiting expert's reply; maybe he/she will be able to give a better insight.

Regards

Kudos if my post helps!

Long And A Fruitful Journey - V21 to V41; If I can, So Can You!!

My study resources:
1. Useful Formulae, Concepts and Tricks-Quant
2. e-GMAT's ALL SC Compilation
3. LSAT RC compilation
4. Actual LSAT CR collection by Broal
5. QOTD RC (Carcass)
6. Challange OG RC
7. GMAT Prep Challenge RC

Expert Post
Manhattan Prep Instructor
S

Show Tags

New post 31 Jan 2018, 02:51
B is not a great answer. The structure of the sentence leads us to expect "it" to refer to the subject: the federal government. For more on structural expectations, see my comments here: https://gmatclub.com/forum/while-high-o ... 57408.html

So is D an improvement? Unfortunately not. First, "it's" means "it is." For possessive, we need "its." This is one of many funny little quirks of English that really is an ironclad rule.

There's another really interesting meaning difference here."Provided for by" is not the same as "provided by." It suggests that we expected the district authorities to have planned or made allowances for the funding, not that they actually provided the funding. If the authorities are individual people, this might make sense than the other choices, all of which state that the district authorities were actually expected to provide funding. But it's hard to see what this alternative is really supposed to mean. The authorities were supposed to have made plans for dealing with any funding that turned up? It doesn't really work. I think the meaning really depends on our interpretation of this phrase, and it would depend on knowledge of government that we can't expect to have. (What government are we talking about? It doesn't sound like the U.S.)

In the end, we need some adjustments to make this sentence work, including the addition of "the" in a few places. The GMAT might give us a corrected version like this:

The federal government provided the majority of funding for the natural museum filled with local relics--funding that might have been expected from local sources.

OR

The federal government provided the majority of funding for the natural museum filled with local relics, when the local government might have been expected to make the largest contribution.

Dmitry Farber | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | New York

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Director
Director
P
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V33
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 25 Feb 2018, 05:40
All answers are wrong ?

"It's" in D refers to It is funding lol.
In B IT Clearly refers back to federal govt. not funding.

Answer is F .
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 25 Feb 2018, 21:55
D is the right answer.

First of all the funding has to be mentioned again as only " it " may refer to local relics or the funding.

In D - "it's " refers to museum which is correctly followed by funding because the sentence talks about funding of the museum.

Sent from my XT1562 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Re: Federal government provided major share of funding for the natural   [#permalink] 25 Feb 2018, 21:55

Federal government provided major share of funding for the natural

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap