It is currently 18 Feb 2018, 23:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

First Cold Test and Study Plan

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
First Cold Test and Study Plan [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 May 2017, 12:29
Hello all,

I just recently decided I wanted to go to B-School after attaining my BS in Business Administration/Finance exactly two years ago. I just took a cold practice test on Veritas Prep with no prior study or preparation and scored a 440 (27Q and 24V). I know this is quite low but not having practiced any mathematics/algebra or grammar for some years now I'm not too surprised. I'm a Project Admin for a construction firm so grammar is not top priority in my industry. My end goal is to score in the mid 600 range as I would love to apply to Baruch in NYC which has a middle 80% GMAT range of 550-710. I want to give myself plenty of time to study as I don't have a timeline of when I would want to enroll in a program though best case scenario would be Spring 2018.

Here are the materials that I have acquired or will be acquiring in the next week or two:

Complete MGMAT Strategy Guide Set 6th Edition
OG Bundle (not sure what year as I'm getting it from a friend)
GMAT prep software (thinking about the exam/question packs a month or two prior to exam)

What would be the best way to tackle this material and really get a good start on brushing up my fundamentals. I have plenty of time at work to get in some extra hours of study so time is not really an issue for me. Also any other resources to help me prepare would be greatly appreciated.

I look forward to hearing your responses :P
Veritas Prep GMAT Discount CodesMath Revolution Discount CodesOptimus Prep Discount Codes
Expert Post
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
D
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170
Re: First Cold Test and Study Plan [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 May 2017, 20:09
Hi Kng9931,

Many GMATers are unhappy with their initial practice scores, but you really shouldn't be. It's just a measure of your skills right now - and you've already admitted that it's been awhile since you practiced any of the Quant/Verbal subjects that the GMAT tests you on. Thankfully, the GMAT is a remarkably consistent, predictable Exam, so you CAN train to score at a higher level.

Raising a 440 by 200+ points will take some significant work and you'll have to make big improvements to how you handle BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections. Thankfully, it sounds like you have plenty of potential time to study though, which is good. While you can certainly get started with the material that you have, it's worth noting that many Test Takers who use a 'book heavy' study approach end up getting 'stuck' at a particular score level, so you'll likely end up needing to invest in some non-book resources. I suggest that you study as you see fit for the next 2-3 weeks, then take a new FULL LENGTH CAT (with the Essay and IR sections). That score result will give us an idea of how well you're improving by studying in this way and what changes might be necessary.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Intern
Intern
First Cold Test and Study Plan [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 May 2017, 05:11
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi Kng9931,

Many GMATers are unhappy with their initial practice scores, but you really shouldn't be. It's just a measure of your skills right now - and you've already admitted that it's been awhile since you practiced any of the Quant/Verbal subjects that the GMAT tests you on. Thankfully, the GMAT is a remarkably consistent, predictable Exam, so you CAN train to score at a higher level.

Raising a 440 by 200+ points will take some significant work and you'll have to make big improvements to how you handle BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections. Thankfully, it sounds like you have plenty of potential time to study though, which is good. While you can certainly get started with the material that you have, it's worth noting that many Test Takers who use a 'book heavy' study approach end up getting 'stuck' at a particular score level, so you'll likely end up needing to invest in some non-book resources. I suggest that you study as you see fit for the next 2-3 weeks, then take a new FULL LENGTH CAT (with the Essay and IR sections). That score result will give us an idea of how well you're improving by studying in this way and what changes might be necessary.

Rich

Rich,

Thank you for your kind words of encouragement. I am looking forward to putting in the necessary work to raise my score in both categories. Since I will not likely have my material for another week or two, what are some resources I can use to start my studies? I have already downloaded the Manhattan Prep App which is great at going through the basics and I will most likely purchase the premium version at $40, unless the topics are overlapping to the study guide set. Also, you referred to non-book resources? Could you give a further explanation to some of the materials that would be categorized as non-book?

I fully believe in my ability to score a 600 or higher I just need some guidance on how to restart my study regimen. I had a 3.3 undergrad GPA and I know I could have raised that to at least a 3.5-3.7 if I actually applied myself more and didn't skip some classes here and there. I had a terrible habit of procrastinating study before tests and I want to change that with the GMAT. Luckily my significant other is great at Math and English so she has already committed to helping me study.

Again, I thank you for the help and support.

Regards,
Kyle
Expert Post
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
D
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170
Re: First Cold Test and Study Plan [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 May 2017, 11:55
Hi Kng9931,

Beyond doing lots of practice problems, you will likely need consistent, professional guidance so that you can learn all of the patterns, tactics and 'secrets' of the GMAT (without having to try to figure out all of that stuff on your own). This is meant to say that you would likely find it beneficial to invest in a GMAT Course of some kind (either Guided Self-Study or instructor-led). Since you're not on an immediate deadline, you don't have make any decisions about that just yet.

For free general math practice and help, I recommend that you set up an account at Khan Academy (www.khanacademy.org). The site is completely free and makes the learning a bit more fun and 'game-like' (as opposed to the dry academic approach taken by most books). While the site is vast, you should limit your studies to basic Arithmetic, Algebra and Geometry. After spending a little time re-building those skills, you would likely find much of the 'math' behind the Quant section to be easier.

Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Re: First Cold Test and Study Plan   [#permalink] 17 May 2017, 11:55

First Cold Test and Study Plan

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

HOT DEALS FOR FEBRUARY
Math Revolution - $69/mo Type Coupon Code: HOTDEAL2
Economist GMAT - Free Free 1-week trial + Free Test
examPAL - $75 off all packages Valentine's special. Valid until Feb. 15
Kaplan Courses - Save $475 $225 Discount + $250 Bonus
Target Test Prep - Save $800 $50 Discount + $750 Bonus [GMAT Club
Tests and Premium MBA Bundle]
EMPOWERgmat - $99/mo GMAT Club tests included 2nd month
GMAT Club Tests - Free Included with every course purchase
of $149 or more - Full List is here

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap