GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 13 Dec 2019, 00:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

For each trip, a taxi company charges a fixed fee of $2.00 plus $0.75

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Current Student
avatar
S
Joined: 30 Dec 2015
Posts: 187
Location: United States
Concentration: Strategy, Organizational Behavior
GPA: 3.88
WE: Business Development (Hospitality and Tourism)
Reviews Badge
For each trip, a taxi company charges a fixed fee of $2.00 plus $0.75  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Mar 2016, 08:20
6
65
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  75% (hard)

Question Stats:

54% (01:54) correct 46% (02:05) wrong based on 513 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

For each trip, a taxi company charges a fixed fee of $2.00 plus $0.75 for each 1/2 mile or fraction of 1/2 miles. If, for every number x, [ x ] is defined to be the least integer greater than or equal to x, then which of the following represents the company's charge, in dollars, for a trip that is r miles long?

A. 2.00 + [ \(\frac{0.75r}{2}\) ]
B. 2.00 + 0.75[ \(\frac{r}{2}\) ]
C. 2.00 + 0.75[ r ]
D. 2.00 + [1.5r ]
E. 2.00 + 0.75 [ 2r]
Most Helpful Expert Reply
Math Expert
avatar
V
Joined: 02 Aug 2009
Posts: 8309
Re: For each trip, a taxi company charges a fixed fee of $2.00 plus $0.75  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Mar 2016, 08:37
25
1
16
lpetroski wrote:
For each trip, a taxi company charges a fixed fee of $2.00 plus $0.75 for each 1/2 mile or fraction of 1/2 miles. If, for every number x, [ x ] is defined to be the least integer greater than or equal to x, then which of the following represents the company's charge, in dollars, for a trip that is r miles long?

A. 2.00 + [ \(\frac{0.75r}{2}\) ]
B. 2.00 + 0.75[ \(\frac{r}{2}\) ]
C. 2.00 + 0.75[ r ]
D. 2.00 + [1.5r ]
E. 2.00 + 0.75 [ 2r]


Hi,
Fixed fee= 2.00
fee dependent on miles = 0.75 per 1/2 mile or fraction there off
no of miles = r
no of 1/2 miles= 2r..
and to convert 2r into integer mile [2r]..
total cost on miles= 0.75[2r]..
total = 2.00 + 0.75 [ 2r]

E
_________________
Most Helpful Community Reply
Retired Moderator
User avatar
G
Joined: 18 Sep 2014
Posts: 1098
Location: India
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
For each trip, a taxi company charges a fixed fee of $2.00 plus $0.75  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Oct 2016, 23:33
4
4
I got it wrong after spending a lot of time for a mere calculation mistake. That too this was the first question in my practice test. :(
I hope my solution helps others. Its easy to solve if we pick the numbers.

Since it is nowhere mentioned that r is an integer, we can take r=4.5 miles for our convenience and apply back-solving approach.

Quote:
For each trip, a taxi company charges a fixed fee of $2.00 plus $0.75 for each 1/2 mile or fraction of 1/2 miles. If, for every number x, [ x ] is defined to be the least integer greater than or equal to x, then which of the following represents the company's charge, in dollars, for a trip that is r miles long?


as per the question charges= \(2.00\) + \(0.75*(4.5*2)\) = \($2.00\)+ \($6.75\)

Now let go to options

A. 2.00 + [ \(\frac{0.75r}{2}\) ]
    = 2.00 + [ \(\frac{(0.75*4.5)}{2}\) ]
    = 2.00 + [1.6875]
    = 2.00 + 1.00

Since this value does not match with that of above one, this is incorrect.

B. 2.00 + 0.75[ \(\frac{r}{2}\) ]
    = 2.00 + 0.75[ \(\frac{4.5}{2}\) ]
    = 2.00 + 0.75[2.25]
    = 2.00 + \(0.75*2\)
    = 2.00 + 1.5

Since this value does not match with that of above one, this is incorrect.

C. 2.00 + 0.75[ r ]
    = 2.00 + 0.75[4.5]
    = 2.00 + 0.75*4
    = 2.00 + 3.00

Since this value does not match with that of above one, this is incorrect.

D. 2.00 + [1.5r ]
    = 2.00 + [1.5 * 4.5 ]
    = 2.00 + [6.75]
    = 2.00 + 6

Since this value does not match with that of above one, this is incorrect.

E. 2.00 + 0.75 [ 2r]
    = 2.00 + 0.75[2*4.5]
    = 2.00 + 0.75[9]
    = 2.00 + 0.75*9
    = 2.00 + 6.75

This is the value we got above in pre-analysis.

Refer below link for info on greatest integer function
http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-greatest-integer-function-223595.html#p1755424
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 27 Jul 2011
Posts: 49
Re: For each trip, a taxi company charges a fixed fee of $2.00 plus $0.75  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Apr 2016, 14:38
2
Use substitution,
If
r=3.7; [r]=4
r=3.2; [r]=4

Therefore
Charges $0.75 = 0.5 mile
$ y = 4 miles

y = (4 * $0.75 ) / 0.5
= r * 0.75 *2

Therefore
Total = 2 + 0.75(2r)
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 15 Oct 2015
Posts: 2
Re: For each trip, a taxi company charges a fixed fee of $2.00 plus $0.75  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Apr 2016, 11:28
Hello,

Can someone please try to explain to me and an easy way? I didn't understand the explanations. I appreciate any help !! The part that says "for every number x, [x] is defined to be the least integer greater than or equal to x" confuses me.

Thank you !

Paula

Posted from my mobile device
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 59720
Re: For each trip, a taxi company charges a fixed fee of $2.00 plus $0.75  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 May 2016, 03:17
4
17
paularagauskas wrote:
Hello,

Can someone please try to explain to me and an easy way? I didn't understand the explanations. I appreciate any help !! The part that says "for every number x, [x] is defined to be the least integer greater than or equal to x" confuses me.

Thank you !

Paula

Posted from my mobile device


Some function [] rounds UP a number to the nearest integer. For example [1.5]=2, [2]=2, [-1.5]=-1, ...

Similar questions to practice:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/if-denotes-th ... 32223.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/if-denotes-th ... 94687.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/for-all-numbe ... 05416.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/is-x-an-odd-i ... 99856.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/for-all-z-den ... 10561.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/denotes-to-be ... 30841.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/for-all-numbe ... 05416.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/if-is-the-gre ... 44277.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/how-x-become- ... 94687.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/awkward-ds-105416.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/help-data-suf ... 99856.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/if-denotes-th ... 94687.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/denotes-to-be ... 30841.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/is-the-greate ... 54006.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/if-denotes-th ... 62078.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/if-denotes-th ... 32223.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/is-the-greate ... 54006.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/for-all-z-den ... 67640.html
_________________
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 15 Oct 2015
Posts: 2
Re: For each trip, a taxi company charges a fixed fee of $2.00 plus $0.75  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 May 2016, 07:15
Bunuel thank you so much! That was very helpful!!
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 05 Jan 2015
Posts: 49
Location: United States
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: For each trip, a taxi company charges a fixed fee of $2.00 plus $0.75  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jul 2016, 00:00
1
1
chetan2u wrote:
lpetroski wrote:
For each trip, a taxi company charges a fixed fee of $2.00 plus $0.75 for each 1/2 mile or fraction of 1/2 miles. If, for every number x, [ x ] is defined to be the least integer greater than or equal to x, then which of the following represents the company's charge, in dollars, for a trip that is r miles long?

A. 2.00 + [ \(\frac{0.75r}{2}\) ]
B. 2.00 + 0.75[ \(\frac{r}{2}\) ]
C. 2.00 + 0.75[ r ]
D. 2.00 + [1.5r ]
E. 2.00 + 0.75 [ 2r]


Hi,
Fixed fee= 2.00
fee dependent on miles = 0.75 per 1/2 mile or fraction there off
no of miles = r
no of 1/2 miles= 2r..
and to convert 2r into integer mile [2r]..
total cost on miles= 0.75[2r]..
total = 2.00 + 0.75 [ 2r]

E


Hi, Thanks for such a brilliant explanation. One doubt how no of 1/2 miles= 2r..
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 25 May 2016
Posts: 2
GMAT 1: 570 Q44 V25
Re: For each trip, a taxi company charges a fixed fee of $2.00 plus $0.75  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Oct 2016, 06:45
1
riteshpatnaik wrote:
chetan2u wrote:
lpetroski wrote:
For each trip, a taxi company charges a fixed fee of $2.00 plus $0.75 for each 1/2 mile or fraction of 1/2 miles. If, for every number x, [ x ] is defined to be the least integer greater than or equal to x, then which of the following represents the company's charge, in dollars, for a trip that is r miles long?

A. 2.00 + [ \(\frac{0.75r}{2}\) ]
B. 2.00 + 0.75[ \(\frac{r}{2}\) ]
C. 2.00 + 0.75[ r ]
D. 2.00 + [1.5r ]
E. 2.00 + 0.75 [ 2r]


Hi,
Fixed fee= 2.00
fee dependent on miles = 0.75 per 1/2 mile or fraction there off
no of miles = r
no of 1/2 miles= 2r..

and to convert 2r into integer mile [2r]..
total cost on miles= 0.75[2r]..
total = 2.00 + 0.75 [ 2r]

E


Hi, Thanks for such a brilliant explanation. One doubt how no of 1/2 miles= 2r..



If 1/2 a mile is r then a full mile will be 2r.
Hope this helps!
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 13 Sep 2016
Posts: 1
Re: For each trip, a taxi company charges a fixed fee of $2.00 plus $0.75  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Oct 2017, 03:54
lpetroski wrote:
For each trip, a taxi company charges a fixed fee of $2.00 plus $0.75 for each 1/2 mile or fraction of 1/2 miles. If, for every number x, [ x ] is defined to be the least integer greater than or equal to x, then which of the following represents the company's charge, in dollars, for a trip that is r miles long?

A. 2.00 + [ \(\frac{0.75r}{2}\) ]
B. 2.00 + 0.75[ \(\frac{r}{2}\) ]
C. 2.00 + 0.75[ r ]
D. 2.00 + [1.5r ]
E. 2.00 + 0.75 [ 2r]


Hi EMPOWERgmatRichC Can you please help me here with Test It ? Thank you!
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 11 Jun 2017
Posts: 62
Re: For each trip, a taxi company charges a fixed fee of $2.00 plus $0.75  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Nov 2017, 05:05
2
1
Prashant420 wrote:
lpetroski wrote:
For each trip, a taxi company charges a fixed fee of $2.00 plus $0.75 for each 1/2 mile or fraction of 1/2 miles. If, for every number x, [ x ] is defined to be the least integer greater than or equal to x, then which of the following represents the company's charge, in dollars, for a trip that is r miles long?

A. 2.00 + [ \(\frac{0.75r}{2}\) ]
B. 2.00 + 0.75[ \(\frac{r}{2}\) ]
C. 2.00 + 0.75[ r ]
D. 2.00 + [1.5r ]
E. 2.00 + 0.75 [ 2r]


Hi EMPOWERgmatRichC Can you please help me here with Test It ? Thank you!


Hi Prashant420,

Suppose if the number of miles covered are 5.2. Each 1/2 mile or fraction of half costs 0.75$. 5 miles consist of 10 half miles and 0.2 would account for another half. Total 11 halves*0.75$ = $8.25 (for miles covered). Total cost = 10.25$.
This can be obtained through option E: 2+0.75[2*5.2] = 2+0.75*[10.4] = 2+0.75*11 = $10.25.

Hope this helps.
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
User avatar
V
Status: GMAT Assassin/Co-Founder
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Joined: 19 Dec 2014
Posts: 15716
Location: United States (CA)
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: For each trip, a taxi company charges a fixed fee of $2.00 plus $0.75  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Dec 2017, 15:17
3
1
Hi All,

This question can be solved by TESTing Values (although since the prompt discusses 'fractions of a 1/2 mile' iit's 'hinting' that we should be thinking about non-integers...

Let's TEST R = 2.1

According to the prompt, for a 2.1-mile trip, the taxi company will charge $2 + $0.75(5) = $5.75

When we plug R = 2.1 into the answers, and we follow the definition of [x], we get....

Answer A: 2 + 1 = 3 NOT a match
Answer B: 2 + 1.5 = 3.5 NOT a match
Answer C: 2 + 2.25 = 4.25 NOT a match
Answer D: 2 + 4 = 6 NOT a match
Answer E: 2 + 3.75 = 5.75 This IS a match

Final Answer:

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
_________________
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com
Image


The Course Used By GMAT Club Moderators To Earn 750+

souvik101990 Score: 760 Q50 V42 ★★★★★
ENGRTOMBA2018 Score: 750 Q49 V44 ★★★★★
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 08 Dec 2017
Posts: 15
Re: For each trip, a taxi company charges a fixed fee of $2.00 plus $0.75  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Dec 2017, 23:43
1
Ignoring the least integer part the equation is clearly 2+.75(2r). This can be 2+1.5r as well so it's between d and e. Going 1 mile should cost 1.50. With choice d, it costs 2 so e has to be the answer. One problem with choice d is that whenever one goes an odd number of miles the round up results in an overcharge.

Posted from my mobile device
ESADE School Moderator
avatar
B
Joined: 23 Jan 2018
Posts: 30
Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Marketing
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.45
WE: Analyst (Computer Software)
Re: For each trip, a taxi company charges a fixed fee of $2.00 plus $0.75  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Sep 2018, 14:01
1
Nevernevergiveup wrote:
I got it wrong after spending a lot of time for a mere calculation mistake. That too this was the first question in my practice test. :(
I hope my solution helps others. Its easy to solve if we pick the numbers.

Since it is nowhere mentioned that r is an integer, we can take r=4.5 miles for our convenience and apply back-solving approach.

Quote:
For each trip, a taxi company charges a fixed fee of $2.00 plus $0.75 for each 1/2 mile or fraction of 1/2 miles. If, for every number x, [ x ] is defined to be the least integer greater than or equal to x, then which of the following represents the company's charge, in dollars, for a trip that is r miles long?


as per the question charges= \(2.00\) + \(0.75*(4.5*2)\) = \($2.00\)+ \($6.75\)

Now let go to options

A. 2.00 + [ \(\frac{0.75r}{2}\) ]
    = 2.00 + [ \(\frac{(0.75*4.5)}{2}\) ]
    = 2.00 + [1.6875]
    = 2.00 + 1.00

Since this value does not match with that of above one, this is incorrect.

B. 2.00 + 0.75[ \(\frac{r}{2}\) ]
    = 2.00 + 0.75[ \(\frac{4.5}{2}\) ]
    = 2.00 + 0.75[2.25]
    = 2.00 + \(0.75*2\)
    = 2.00 + 1.5

Since this value does not match with that of above one, this is incorrect.

C. 2.00 + 0.75[ r ]
    = 2.00 + 0.75[4.5]
    = 2.00 + 0.75*4
    = 2.00 + 3.00

Since this value does not match with that of above one, this is incorrect.

D. 2.00 + [1.5r ]
    = 2.00 + [1.5 * 4.5 ]
    = 2.00 + [6.75]
    = 2.00 + 6

Since this value does not match with that of above one, this is incorrect.

E. 2.00 + 0.75 [ 2r]
    = 2.00 + 0.75[2*4.5]
    = 2.00 + 0.75[9]
    = 2.00 + 0.75*9
    = 2.00 + 6.75

This is the value we got above in pre-analysis.

Refer below link for info on greatest integer function
http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-greatest-integer-function-223595.html#p1755424




Your approach really helped but just one correction: while eliminating option D you have missed out that it is the least integer greater than or equal to x which in this case is [6.75]=7.

But in any case, the final answer by D is still wrong; E still holds true.

Thank you for the approach! Found it the most helpful.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 28 Jul 2016
Posts: 1
Re: For each trip, a taxi company charges a fixed fee of $2.00 plus $0.75  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Mar 2019, 07:33
Can someone explain why not A? Because 0.75 is also a fraction and it needs to be formatted according to the given rule, no?
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 16 Jul 2018
Posts: 69
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: For each trip, a taxi company charges a fixed fee of $2.00 plus $0.75  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Nov 2019, 09:04
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi All,

This question can be solved by TESTing Values (although since the prompt discusses 'fractions of a 1/2 mile' iit's 'hinting' that we should be thinking about non-integers...

Let's TEST R = 2.1

According to the prompt, for a 2.1-mile trip, the taxi company will charge $2 + $0.75(5) = $5.75

When we plug R = 2.1 into the answers, and we follow the definition of [x], we get....

Answer A: 2 + 1 = 3 NOT a match
Answer B: 2 + 1.5 = 3.5 NOT a match
Answer C: 2 + 2.25 = 4.25 NOT a match
Answer D: 2 + 4 = 6 NOT a match
Answer E: 2 + 3.75 = 5.75 This IS a match

Final Answer:

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich


Hi Rich,
Instead of using a decimal I picked 2 and 4 as the TEST it numbers (I tested 4 except for 2, because 2 was valid for both D and E) was my approach incorrect? Was I lucky to get the correct answer? Is it necessary to use decimals in this specific problem?
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
User avatar
V
Status: GMAT Assassin/Co-Founder
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Joined: 19 Dec 2014
Posts: 15716
Location: United States (CA)
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: For each trip, a taxi company charges a fixed fee of $2.00 plus $0.75  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Nov 2019, 11:45
1
Hi UNSTOPPABLE12,

If you chose R=4, then BOTH Answers D and E would have been a match for what you were looking for. Can you show me your work for those two calculations?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
_________________
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com
Image


The Course Used By GMAT Club Moderators To Earn 750+

souvik101990 Score: 760 Q50 V42 ★★★★★
ENGRTOMBA2018 Score: 750 Q49 V44 ★★★★★
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 16 Jul 2018
Posts: 69
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: For each trip, a taxi company charges a fixed fee of $2.00 plus $0.75  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Nov 2019, 11:55
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi UNSTOPPABLE12,

If you chose R=4, then BOTH Answers D and E would have been a match for what you were looking for. Can you show me your work for those two calculations?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich


Yes you are right Rich , it turns up I got extremely lucky on this one, making a calculation mistake on D and picking E. Could you please explain why in your example you decided to choose 2.1 and why did you afterwards multiplied it by 5? (I have read your explanation but still haven't understood the reason )
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
User avatar
V
Status: GMAT Assassin/Co-Founder
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Joined: 19 Dec 2014
Posts: 15716
Location: United States (CA)
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: For each trip, a taxi company charges a fixed fee of $2.00 plus $0.75  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Nov 2019, 15:46
1
Hi UNSTOPPABLE12,

If you start off by looking at the answer choices (before you read the prompt), you might recognize that, algebraically-speaking, Answers D and E appear to be the SAME ANSWER. That's 'weird' for a GMAT question - and without looking at the prompt, that pattern would either mean that neither of those answers is correct OR that that there's some 'twist' to the question that means the "format" of the answer will matter.

The prompt refers to 'fractions of a 1/2 mile' - and THAT means that the math involved is not the typical arithmetic/algebra that we'll see in most prompts. I want to reiterate that the prompt LITERALLY states "....FRACTIONS....", so that's a big clue to TEST a non-integer.

If we TEST R = 2.1

According to the prompt, for a 2.1-mile trip, we will be dealing with 4 "full 1/2 miles" and 1 "fraction of a 1/2 mile" (re: the extra 0.1 miles). Each of those 5 increments costs $0.75. Thus, the charge would be...

$2 + $0.75(5) = $5.75

Based on how we are supposed to use the [ x ] symbol, there's only one answer that matches...

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
_________________
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com
Image


The Course Used By GMAT Club Moderators To Earn 750+

souvik101990 Score: 760 Q50 V42 ★★★★★
ENGRTOMBA2018 Score: 750 Q49 V44 ★★★★★
Intern
Intern
avatar
S
Joined: 06 Mar 2018
Posts: 43
CAT Tests
Re: For each trip, a taxi company charges a fixed fee of $2.00 plus $0.75  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Dec 2019, 03:55
Nevernevergiveup wrote:
I got it wrong after spending a lot of time for a mere calculation mistake. That too this was the first question in my practice test. :(
I hope my solution helps others. Its easy to solve if we pick the numbers.

Since it is nowhere mentioned that r is an integer, we can take r=4.5 miles for our convenience and apply back-solving approach.

Quote:
For each trip, a taxi company charges a fixed fee of $2.00 plus $0.75 for each 1/2 mile or fraction of 1/2 miles. If, for every number x, [ x ] is defined to be the least integer greater than or equal to x, then which of the following represents the company's charge, in dollars, for a trip that is r miles long?


as per the question charges= \(2.00\) + \(0.75*(4.5*2)\) = \($2.00\)+ \($6.75\)

Now let go to options

A. 2.00 + [ \(\frac{0.75r}{2}\) ]
    = 2.00 + [ \(\frac{(0.75*4.5)}{2}\) ]
    = 2.00 + [1.6875]
    = 2.00 + 1.00

Since this value does not match with that of above one, this is incorrect.

B. 2.00 + 0.75[ \(\frac{r}{2}\) ]
    = 2.00 + 0.75[ \(\frac{4.5}{2}\) ]
    = 2.00 + 0.75[2.25]
    = 2.00 + \(0.75*2\)
    = 2.00 + 1.5

Since this value does not match with that of above one, this is incorrect.

C. 2.00 + 0.75[ r ]
    = 2.00 + 0.75[4.5]
    = 2.00 + 0.75*4
    = 2.00 + 3.00

Since this value does not match with that of above one, this is incorrect.

D. 2.00 + [1.5r ]
    = 2.00 + [1.5 * 4.5 ]
    = 2.00 + [6.75]
    = 2.00 + 6

Since this value does not match with that of above one, this is incorrect.

E. 2.00 + 0.75 [ 2r]
    = 2.00 + 0.75[2*4.5]
    = 2.00 + 0.75[9]
    = 2.00 + 0.75*9
    = 2.00 + 6.75

This is the value we got above in pre-analysis.

Refer below link for info on greatest integer function
http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-greatest-integer-function-223595.html#p1755424


The highlighted numbers in red are rounded down. According to question, it should be rounded up.

[6.75]=7 and not 6
GMAT Club Bot
Re: For each trip, a taxi company charges a fixed fee of $2.00 plus $0.75   [#permalink] 03 Dec 2019, 03:55
Display posts from previous: Sort by

For each trip, a taxi company charges a fixed fee of $2.00 plus $0.75

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  





Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne