Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 23:10 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 23:10

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 814 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [3]
Send PM
Re: Fork in the road: Lopsided 720 (Q44, V45). Retake strategy? [#permalink]
Kudos
I just thought I'd update everyone on my retake experience, which has been a long journey starting back in December. I finally retook the GMAT yesterday, and although I only scored ten points higher than my first score, I met my goal of raising my quant score nine percentile points to a 47. My score in the end was a 730/Q47/V45, which I'm happy with. It's finally over!

My strategy was mostly what I described below, starting with signing up for a private tutor to personally analyze my situation. I carefully considered those from the big test companies, but decided it would be better to try out someone independent who didn't have to push certain materials. I tried a few different unimpressive tutors but was firmly convinced by Charles Biblios, aka GMAT Ninja (https://gmatninja.com/). He took a personal interest in my overall goals and was critical to developing a strategy to improving my math performance. Charles is a fun-loving GMAT genius and crackerjack pedagogue. His lighthearted intensity makes boosting your score seem a matter of snapping together legos.

Over the course of several sessions with Charles, he quickly developed a sense of my individual strengths, weaknesses and peculiarities when facing the GMAT. We focused on building basic math skills rather than practicing super difficult problems. I went back to the beginning of the official guides and really took my time to systematically improve my understanding of basic techniques. I caught myself making all kinds of regular calculation mistakes and feeling stumped on things I should have memorized.

I think the critical component was Charles' advice on accuracy and timing. I really had to learn how to pick my battles and skip problems that I know I could solve with more time. Apart from that, I had to treat the problems that I did chose to tackle as a matter of life and death, even checking each step of my work after finishing the problem. This really taught me to be a lot more precise and focus on winning the battles I could in a short period of time.

So, for anyone with a quant score in the mid-forties looking to move closer to that 80 percentile mark, I highly recommend returning to the basics and focusing on refining strategy rather than on mastering difficult problems. Also, especially since studying for the GMAT can seem like such a solitary journey, I highly recommend finding a tutor who can personalize the experience and take an interest in your success. I recommend Charles, the GMAT Ninja, but anyone who can give you expert advice can make a big difference!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 352 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
trimetrus, could you please be more specific on how you overcame making silly mistakes and how you improved your timing? That would help.

Thanks and congratulations on your effort and your perseverance.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
Send PM
Bookmarks
I think the key for me on getting rid of silly mistakes was, as my GMAT tutor said, "treat each problem as a matter of life and death" and checking problems after I finished them (while practicing).

For the first, treating each problem as a matter of life and death, my issue was that I thought going through simple calculations faster was going to save me valuable time. For example, if I had a fraction of 192 divided by 16, I would try and take the smart route of recognizing that this divides evenly in one step instead of just dividing the fraction by two a bunch of times until it got to an easy-to-reduce fraction. I felt afraid of the latter "stupid" approach thinking it would take too long.

For the second, checking problems, I would simply check my work before selecting my answer. It seems simple enough, but I assumed this was another technique that I shouldn't invest in. I did this most intensively while practicing, and just checking taught me to do more careful work because I got to know my errors. For most of the time I only spent time checking while I was doing practice problems. But then I found that the value I got from checking was greater than the time lost, so I incorporated this into my strategy while taking timed tests as well.

Lastly, I really focused on getting right the problems that I could and cutting my losses on the ones I was less likely to get. I had heard this strategy a hundred times, but still assumed that I should only be skipping problems that were very, very difficult. To the contrary, I decided to skip problems I knew I could do but would involve calculations I often mess up. You can get a lot of questions wrong and still get a decent quant score. With that in mind I tried to aim for less and feel comfortable skipping problems I was sure I could do under different circumstances. Learning to invest more time in problems I could do precisely and skipping the ones I couldn't hugely helped my timing strategy.

Hope this helps,
Taylor
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 352 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Taylor, thanks a lot for answering my question. It was very useful.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Taylor, you took those private tutoring online?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Yes, we used Skype. He had a camera and a white board so we could work through problems together. Even with the distance between Egypt and New York, it worked perfectly.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 6
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 4
Send PM
Hii trimetrus,

730 is indeed a very good score. kudos to you..can u better teach us how u got an excellent score in verbal.. u have consistently touched V45 mark.. plz enlighten us hw to achieve even V40 mark.. that will be helpful and i would be happy to hear from you..
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11667 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi omshrivastav,

The other posts in this thread are over 10 years old, so it's unlikely that the original poster will be responding to your questions. That having been said, if you're looking to improve your GMAT score, then it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) How long have you studied?
2) What materials have you used?
3) How have you scored on each of your CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores)?

Goals:
4) What is your goal score?
5) When are you planning to take the GMAT?
6) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
7) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 6
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 4
Send PM
Hii Rich,
Thnks for the response..

Last year i took gmat nd scored 700.. but the effort i had put, i expected a 720+ score.. so i got disappointed nd decided to retake.. but smhw its been 1 year and i could book my date for 25th august this month..

So, its a 1 year gap since my preparation.. and i have started my studies since last 15-20 days.. i have not taken any CAT this year.. i hav used OG, VOG, official GMAT prep question pack 1 and few e-gmat video lectures..

My goal score is 730+..
Exam date is 25th august..
Colleges i m not sure but will try for US colleges.. medium to high level..

Plz respond if you could suggest me best way to improve..

Sent from my YOGA Tablet 2-830LC using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11667 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi omshrivastav,

To start, I suggest that you start your own post thread (instead of continuing on at the end of this one).

Without a realistic CAT Score result to use as reference, we really have no idea how close you are to your goal score (nor what you would have to focus on to improve). Given your timeframe (less than 3 weeks), taking that CAT should be the priority. I strongly recommend that you take one of the Official GMAT CATs and take it in a realistic fashion (take the FULL CAT - with the Essay and IR sections, take it away from your home, at the same time of day as when you'll take the Official GMAT, etc.). Once you have that score, you should report back and we can discuss how best to proceed.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
GMAT Club Bot