GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Oct 2018, 15:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

From the Civil War to soldiers in Vietnam, Smith & Wesson, the legenda

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Current Student
V
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
From the Civil War to soldiers in Vietnam, Smith & Wesson, the legenda  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 13 Jul 2018, 02:17
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

84% (01:12) correct 16% (01:10) wrong based on 612 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

This question is part of the GMAT Club Sentence Correction : Comparison" Revision Project.

From the Civil War to soldiers in Vietnam, Smith & Wesson, the legendary arms maker, equipped both the soldiers and the sailors who have fought America’s wars.

A. the Civil War to soldiers in Vietnam, Smith & Wesson, the legendary arms maker, equipped both the soldiers and

B. the Civil War to the Vietnam war, Smith & Wesson, the legendary arms maker, equipped both the soldiers and

C. soldiers in the Civil War and soldiers in Vietnam, Smith & Wesson, the legendary arms maker, equipped both the soldiers and

D. soldiers in the Civil War to soldiers in Vietnam, Smith & Wesson, the legendary arms maker, equipped both the soldiers to

E. the Civil War and the Vietnam war, Smith & Wesson, the legendary arms maker, equipped both the soldiers and

Have an MBA application Question? ASK ME ANYTHING!

My Stuff: Four Years to 760 | MBA Trends for Indian Applicants

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
How I got into five schools from zero - Applicant Lab Review
Veritas Prep Live Online

Originally posted by souvik101990 on 25 Feb 2015, 09:32.
Last edited by Bunuel on 13 Jul 2018, 02:17, edited 3 times in total.
Renamed the topic.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
GMAT Date: 08-27-2012
WE: Marketing (Manufacturing)
Re: From the Civil War to soldiers in Vietnam, Smith & Wesson, the legenda  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Feb 2015, 10:47
A. the Civil War to soldiers in Vietnam, Smith & Wesson, the legendary arms maker, equipped both the soldiers and
- from X to Y where X& Y needs to be parallel. Illogical in this option.

B. the Civil War to the Vietnam war, Smith & Wesson, the legendary arms maker, equipped both the soldiers and
-from X to Y where X& Y needs to be parallel. logical in this option. Correct.

C. soldiers in the Civil War and soldiers in Vietnam, Smith & Wesson, the legendary arms maker, equipped both the soldiers and
-from X to Y where X& Y needs to be parallel. Illogical in this option.

D. soldiers in the Civil War to soldiers in Vietnam, Smith & Wesson, the legendary arms maker, equipped both the soldiers to
-both X and Y where X& Y needs to be parallel. Illogical in this option.

E. the Civil War and the Vietnam war, Smith & Wesson, the legendary arms maker, equipped both the soldiers and - from X to Y where X& Y needs to be parallel. Illogical in this option.

kudos me if you like my post.

Attitude determine everything.
all the best and God bless you.

Retired Moderator
Concentration: Strategy, Healthcare
Schools: Sloan '18 (A)
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V41
GPA: 4
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: From the Civil War to soldiers in Vietnam, Smith & Wesson, the legenda  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Feb 2015, 11:19
From the Civil War to soldiers in Vietnam, Smith & Wesson, the legendary arms maker, equipped both the soldiers and the sailors who have fought America’s wars.

A. the Civil War to soldiers in Vietnam, Smith & Wesson, the legendary arms maker, equipped both the soldiers and - Compares soldiers with the Civil War;

B. the Civil War to the Vietnam war, Smith & Wesson, the legendary arms maker, equipped both the soldiers and - Correct

C. soldiers in the Civil War and soldiers in Vietnam, Smith & Wesson, the legendary arms maker, equipped both the soldiers and - and must be to

D. soldiers in the Civil War to soldiers in Vietnam, Smith & Wesson, the legendary arms maker, equipped both the soldiers to - to must be and

E. the Civil War and the Vietnam war, Smith & Wesson, the legendary arms maker, equipped both the soldiers and - and must be to

If my post was helpful, press Kudos. If not, then just press Kudos !!!

Retired Moderator
Affiliations: National Institute of Technology, Durgapur
GPA: 3.32
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 26 Feb 2015, 00:29
from X to Y. X and Y needs to be ||
option B looks better than all other.
Director
Director
G

Show Tags

New post 26 Feb 2015, 01:13
souvik101990 wrote:
This question is part of the GMAT Club Sentence Correction : Comparison" Revision Project.

E. the Civil War and the Vietnam war, Smith & Wesson, the legendary arms maker, equipped both the soldiers and

+1 FOR B. We need 'From X to Y' and equipped 'both A and B'
Current Student
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.84
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 26 Feb 2015, 04:50
+1 for B. From X should have to Y.
Current Student
V
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)

Show Tags

New post 01 Mar 2015, 02:39
The original has an improper comparison. Comparisons must relate logically parallel
elements. This sentence compares “the Civil War” to “soldiers in Vietnam.” It must
compare “soldiers” to “soldiers” or “war” to “war.” In this case, it would have to be war
to war because the meaning is that in those wars, Smith & Wesson equipped
soldiers.
(A) This answer choice is incorrect as it repeats the original sentence.
(B) CORRECT. This choice correctly compares logically parallel elements: “the Civil
War to the Vietnam war.” It contains no other errors.
(C) This choice does compare logically parallel elements: “soldiers in the Civil War
and soldiers in Vietnam.” However, this comparison undermines the meaning
because the meaning is that in those wars, Smith & Wesson equipped soldiers. Thus,
the correct comparison would compare “war” to “war.” Furthermore, this comparison
is incorrectly structured; idiomatically, it should not employ “and soldiers” but should
be structured “from soldiers in the Civil War to soldiers in Vietnam.”
(D) This choice does compare logically parallel elements: “soldiers in the Civil War
and soldiers in Vietnam.” However, this comparison undermines the meaning
because the meaning is that in those wars, Smith & Wesson equipped soldiers. Thus,
the correct comparison would compare “war” to “war.” Also, the ending “to” is
incorrect; idiomatically that comparison must be structured as “both the soldiers and
the sailors.”
(E) This choice correctly compares logically parallel elements: “the Civil War and the
Vietnam war.” However, this comparison is incorrectly structured; idiomatically, it
should not employ “and the Vietnam war” but should be structured “from the Civil War
to the Vietnam war.”

Have an MBA application Question? ASK ME ANYTHING!

My Stuff: Four Years to 760 | MBA Trends for Indian Applicants

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
How I got into five schools from zero - Applicant Lab Review
Veritas Prep Live Online

Retired Moderator
P
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 29 Jun 2017, 07:02

A. the Civil War to soldiers in Vietnam, Smith & Wesson, the legendary arms maker, equipped both the soldiers and ==> Illogical comparison between War and Soldiers, should be war vs war

B. the Civil War to the Vietnam war, Smith & Wesson, the legendary arms maker, equipped both the soldiers and ==> Correct = From X to Y and is Parallel

C. soldiers in the Civil War and soldiers in Vietnam, Smith & Wesson, the legendary arms maker, equipped both the soldiers and ==> Illogical comparison between Soldiers and Soldiers, should be war vs war - Also should x to y in order to compare

D. soldiers in the Civil War to soldiers in Vietnam, Smith & Wesson, the legendary arms maker, equipped both the soldiers to ==> Illogical comparison between War and Soldiers, should be war vs war

E. the Civil War and the Vietnam war, Smith & Wesson, the legendary arms maker, equipped both the soldiers and[/quote] ==> Comparison should be from X to Y

Hence, Answer is B

"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not: nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not: the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent."

Best AWA Template: https://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-get-6-0-awa-my-guide-64327.html#p470475

VP
VP
P
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 29 Jun 2017, 23:35
Imo B
It is the only option which makes sense , rest all other options are committing blunder of comparing wars to soldiers.

Please give kudos if you found my answers useful

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
WE: Operations (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 04 Apr 2018, 06:16
1. The Civil War and Vietnam War is compared not the soldiers in the war.(Option A, C and D eliminated)

2. Smith & Wesson equipped the soldiers and not the war.

3. Comparison is done so X to Y is correct and not X and Y.( option E eliminated)

Option B is correct.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: From the Civil War to soldiers in Vietnam, Smith & Wesson, the legenda &nbs [#permalink] 04 Apr 2018, 06:16

From the Civil War to soldiers in Vietnam, Smith & Wesson, the legenda

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap