Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 11:00 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 11:00

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 359
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V32
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V31
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
Concentration: General Management, Operations
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1367 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: Urgent!! Exam in one week, getting 630 and 640, gmat prep scores [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi gsiddj,

Since you've taken just these 2 practice CATs, and the score results are essentially identical, it's possible that you're currently 'stuck' at this score level. Unfortunately, since you've been studying for 6 months, 10 days will probably not be enough time for you to get 'unstuck' AND pick up the necessary points to score 700+. Thankfully, the GMAT is a consistent, predictable Exam, so you CAN train to score at a higher level. However, you're going to need more time than you've allotted and you're likely going to have to learn and practice some new Tactics for BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections.

1) What Schools are you planning to apply to?
2) Why do you think that you "need" a 700+ score?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 359
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V32
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V31
Send PM
Re: Urgent!! Exam in one week, getting 630 and 640, gmat prep scores [#permalink]
Hello Janielle and Rich,
Thanks for your suggestions. I analysed my test and realised that I could have got a number of the questions correct, I feel that under pressure I'm not able to perform. I usually read the question two to three times to grasp the idea and this eats away precious time, resulting in incomplete questions and wrong answers. I've decided that I am going to give the exam and not postpone. So to emulate a real test like experience and get over the problems mentioned above, please suggest some good CATs that can improve me in those aspects. I'm planning to purchase some exam packs as soon as possible.

To Rich's questions, I am looking to apply for the top 25 universities in the US. I have an experience of 30 months and counting, and am working in pharmaceutical manufacturing. I think I have to get above 700 to stand a chance to get admission in the top 25, and also as I'm applying in the last rounds, I definitely need to get a good score.

Thanks
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi gsiddj,

To start, it's important to remember that taking lots of CATs will NOT make you a better Test Taker. A CAT is really a 'measuring device' - when used correctly, it will give you a realistic score and help define your strengths and weaknesses, but it will NOT help you to fix any of those weaknesses. To raise your scores, you have to put in the necessary practice and repetitions. The CAT will show you whether your studies are helping you to improve or not. The issue that you've described really cannot be fixed in a week, so you have to think about your big-picture goals (the REAL goal is to get into your first-choice School).

1) If you don't score 700+, then will you still apply for these upcoming deadlines?
2) If you didn't apply for these deadlines, then when is the NEXT round of deadlines?

If you have a strong OVERALL application, then there's nothing inherently wrong with applying during a later Application Round. However, it's worth noting that there are fewer 'spots' available and you'll be in competition with not only those applicants applying during that round, but also ALL of the other applicants who were wait-listed in prior rounds. If your application looks 'rushed' or 'sloppy' because you didn't put in the proper time and effort to prepare it, then the Admissions Officers will notice.

You might be just fine right now, but you've described a situation that seems problematic. If you "need" a 700+, then you have to follow the proper plan to get to that level.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
GMAT Club Bot