GMAT Changed on April 16th - Read about the latest changes here

It is currently 24 Apr 2018, 05:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT 740 with a low IR score (2)

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
GMAT 740 with a low IR score (2) [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Nov 2017, 09:39
Hi,

I just took the Gmat yesterday and scored a 740, q49 v42. However, I could only manage a 2 in the IR. Do I need to take the Gmat again despite my decent overall score? Could a low IR score be a red flag to the top 10 colleges ( preference Insead and Kellogg)?

Thanks,

Posted from my mobile device

Director
Director
D
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: GMAT 740 with a low IR score (2) [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Nov 2017, 08:46
lovay wrote:
Hi,

I just took the Gmat yesterday and scored a 740, q49 v42. However, I could only manage a 2 in the IR. Do I need to take the Gmat again despite my decent overall score? Could a low IR score be a red flag to the top 10 colleges ( preference Insead and Kellogg)?

Thanks,

Hi
First of all, congrats on your great score.
However, i feel the IR score can raise a red flag for the admissions.
In my opinion, you should consider retaking the test, incase you have time for your applications subsequently.

Please give kudos, if you like my post

When the going gets tough, the tough gets going...

BSchool Thread Master
G
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 24 Nov 2017, 09:23
Insead is one of the very few schools with a stated criteria for IR, so unfortunately, I also suggest a retake. If nothing else, you won't have to wonder if the IR was the reason you didn't get in.
Kellog is also a very competitive school, so you don't want to give them any reason to turn your profile away.
740 is a fantastic score, but the stakes are very high at that level of school

From the Insead website:
What GMAT score do I need to apply?

INSEAD does not have a minimum required GMAT score. Rather than focusing on your overall score, we assess your individual results in the Quantitative, Verbal and IR sections of the exam. We need you to demonstrate your strengths in all of these sections. In order to be competitive, you should aim to achieve a score at or above the 70 - 75 percentile in both the quantitative and verbal sections. For the Integrated Reasoning section, we recommend achieving a score of 6 or above. Please keep in mind, however, that the GMAT is just one of several admission criteria. A high score does not guarantee admission, and a below average score does not eliminate a candidate.
BSchool Forum Moderator
V
GPA: 3.12
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 24 Nov 2017, 11:47
IMO applying with the IR2 is be a bad idea, as it might end up raising
a red flag. The 740 certainly proves that you can score well on both
sections. However, I would recommend you to re-take the GMAT
with a target of improving your Quant score to Q50-51.

This will help you achieve the elusive 99th percentile and most
definitely improve your chances at most of the top programs.

Hope that helps you

Stay hungry, Stay foolish

2017-2018 MBA Deadlines

Class of 2020: Rotman Thread | Schulich Thread
Class of 2019: Sauder Thread

Current Student
S
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.15
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 24 Nov 2017, 12:01
Can I be a spoiler here?
I am not disagreeing with other posts - to be clear.
I'd ask first thing to self is, can I get the same score again? Or was it a chance? You'd know the answer based on your practice tests and confidence. Because, in trying to improve IR score, you don't want to drop your total GMAT either. And how is your AWA?
There are ways to convey that if only IR is low, it was a fluke - not the other way around. Probably, the time you spend, money you spend on retaking GMAT, you can take some online course and prove that you can indeed score better. And that additional score can even compensate for GPA (if need be) and make you more prepared for MBA curriculum.
There is an optional essay available to this convey this point.

Well, this is just one way of tackling this issue - in my humble opinion.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 24 Nov 2017, 12:29
Thanks for your comments, just to give you a background I am a certified chartered accountant (CPA) and also hold a bachelors degree commerce, have 3 years of experience in sell side M&A and investment banking and an additional 2 years of experience in financial advisory. IR has never been a problem and is something that I have to deal with on a daily basis. I think On the test day it was just a matter of fatigue and exam jitters.

My concern is that if I take the Gmat again, will a higher IR score with a slightly lower overall Gmat score something like a 720 make my profile any better for the B schools.

BSchool Thread Master
G
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 25 Nov 2017, 05:25
lovay wrote:
Thanks for your comments, just to give you a background I am a certified chartered accountant (CPA) and also hold a bachelors degree commerce, have 3 years of experience in sell side M&A and investment banking and an additional 2 years of experience in financial advisory. IR has never been a problem and is something that I have to deal with on a daily basis. I think On the test day it was just a matter of fatigue and exam jitters.

My concern is that if I take the Gmat again, will a higher IR score with a slightly lower overall Gmat score something like a 720 make my profile any better for the B schools.

I don't see anything to be lost in taking it again. If you do substantially worse, just cancel the score and send off the 740. If you do better, say anything 730+ with a high IR, you've made out better than not taking it. The jitters and anxiety are over now that you know the routine. Focus on endurance and accuracy, and you should be fine.
Expert Post
Admissionado
G
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School

Show Tags

New post 27 Nov 2017, 14:31
Overall, the main score is STILL more important. Neverltheess, it is true that INSEAD is a bit different from US schools in that they aren't so score-obsessed.

But still....

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado | Packages | Success Stories | Team

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

GMAT 740 with a low IR score (2)

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: JonAdmissionado

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap