GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 09 Dec 2019, 20:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

GMAT in two weeks, targeting 700+

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests
GMAT in two weeks, targeting 700+  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Nov 2019, 05:59
Hi Friends,
Writing for the first time with a lot of expectation from this great forum.

A brief on my prep so far - I have gone through the verbal concepts of egmat for verbal, experts global for quant. Tried the quant concepts of egmat but they were time consuming and weren’t actually helping me.

Below are my mock score:
1. Egmat 1-580 ( Q42, V28) (3-nov) (Attempted V first, Q later) (this was first mock after 3 months of prep, mostly, 90% time, dedicated to verbal with an overconfidence on myself about quant)

2. Expert global 1-560 (Q45, V23) (4-nov) (Attempted V first, Q later) [I understand this was a wrong attempt on the next day, but I thought I can’t be so bad after 3 months of rigorous prep in egmat course and I might score better]

3. Expert global 2- 640 (Q49, V28) (11-nov) (Attempted V first, Q later)

4. Egmat 2- 610 ( Q44, V29) (15- nov) (Attempted V first, Q later)

5. GMAT prep 1 - 660 (Attempted Q first, V later)
6. Expert global 3 - 680 (Q48, V35) (19-nov) (Attempted Q first, V later)

I was very frustrated after the first e-GMAT mock after a study of around 3 months and then started expert GMAT for quant and touchwood started improving my quant. But I am confused now if I should give mocks of egmat or experts global? I felt (after 680) experts global is a bit easy and my scores aren’t consistent but hopefully improving. But again experts global and GMAT prep mock results are kind of similar.

1. Would any expert suggest me if I should continue mock in expert global or egmat? I am targeting 700+ with around 2 weeks left.
2. I am planning to give another 6-7 mocks each alternate day (Or in 2 days study and then mock) to get me over the stress and build the stamina. Any suggestion is welcome if I am thinking it right.
3. I am confused if I should start Q first or V on D-day. I feel I m good at quant (except inequalities, probabilities and permutation, combination, which I take 5 mins if I need to get it correct) but attempting with fresh brain in the morning might cause time in the beginning, I am not sure. On the opposite side a verbal beginning might shatter my confidence.
4. My weakest link in verbal is RC, then CR and SC is kind of similar.

N.b. Exams in a couple of weeks and I have time to devote.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
CAT Tests
Re: GMAT in two weeks, targeting 700+  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Nov 2019, 09:37
Hi, sadekmshowkat,

I'd suggest you to focus on official questions, especially weak areas, as only two weeks are remaining although egmat question bank in scholaranium is really good.
It would be better to stick to thr official Gmatprep mocks in last two weeks.
You can choose the sequence of questions in which you are strong enough to answer, easy & medium level of difficulty questions, at initial stage of verbal section & following that sequence can boost your confidence level.

Wish you all the best!!!

Regards,
Raxit T.
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 24 Nov 2019, 17:16
Hi sadekmshowkat,

To start, a CAT is really a 'measuring device' - when used correctly, it will give you a realistic score and help define your strengths and weaknesses, but it will NOT help you to fix any of those weaknesses. To raise your scores, you have to learn the necessary Tactics and put in the proper practice and repetitions. The CAT will show you whether your studies are helping you to improve or not. As such, you really should not take more than 1 FULL CAT per week - and your last CAT should be taken about 1 week before your Official GMAT.

In addition, the scoring algorithm on the Official GMAT is far more complicated than most people realize. Since that algorithm is proprietary, no GMAT company has an exact match for it, thus CAT scores can vary a bit based on the 'biases' involved in their respective designs. The most realistic CATs available are the 6 from GMAC, but retaking a CAT that you've already taken is NOT a realistic way to assess your skills - since you will likely see some 'repeat' questions that you have already faced. Unfortunately, seeing even a couple of repeats can 'throw off' the Scoring Algorithm and impact your pacing, energy levels, fatigue, etc. (meaning that they would likely all appear to be better than they actually are). Thankfully, the CATs from Kaplan, MGMAT and Veritas are all 'close enough' to the real thing that they will provide you with a relatively realistic score assessment (assuming that you correctly take the CAT in a realistic fashion).

Since these 6 CAT Scores are from just the last 3 weeks - and there are some significant 'swings' in the results - it's not clear what your current 'ability level' is right now. As such, you might want to consider pushing back your Test Date so that we can define the exact areas that you need to work on to hit your Score Goal. Before we discuss how you might best proceed with this next phase of your studies, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

1) How many hours do you typically study each week?
2) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
3) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

The Course Used By GMAT Club Moderators To Earn 750+

souvik101990 Score: 760 Q50 V42 ★★★★★
ENGRTOMBA2018 Score: 750 Q49 V44 ★★★★★
Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 24 Nov 2019, 17:25
1) studying around 8 hours a day
2) my deadline is 15th December, so can’t push back my dates
3) Indiana uni for PhD

Posted from my mobile device
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V

Show Tags

New post 24 Nov 2019, 20:40
Hi sadekmshowkat,

While it might be tempting to try to 'cram' in a lot of study time over these last 2 weeks, 'cramming' rarely leads to great results on Exams such as the GMAT. In addition, if you're going to study 8+ hours a day during this stretch, then you'll greatly increase your chances of 'burning out' before Test Day (which is something that we want to avoid). As such, I suggest that for every 2 hours of study that you do, you take one hour "off" (re: study for 2 hours, take 1 hour off, study for another 2 hours, take 1 hour off, etc. - the exception will be when you take your CATs, since those should each be done in a continuous 3.5 hour block).

I have a few follow-up questions on how you took your CATs:
1) When you say that you took "V first, Q later" does that mean that you took them in one sitting OR did you pause/stop the CAT and work on the 2nd section later?
2) Did you take the FULL CAT each time (including the Essay and IR sections)?

In addition, "review" is an exceptionally important part of the GMAT training process; your ability to define WHY you're getting questions wrong is essential to defining the areas that you need to work on (and the specific things that you need to 'fix'). As such, I'd like to know a bit more about the Official CAT that you took (the 660). While a full Mistake Tracker would provide a lot more information, there are some basic questions that you should be able to answer (and the more EXACT you can be with your answers, the better):

After reviewing each section of that CAT, how many questions did you get wrong....
1) Because of a silly/little mistake?
2) Because there was some math/verbal that you just could not remember how to do?
3) Because the question was too hard?
4) Because you were low on time and had to guess?
5) How many Verbal questions did you 'narrow down to 2 choices' but still get wrong?

Rich

Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests
GMAT in two weeks, targeting 700+  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Nov 2019, 21:03
Hi,
Appreciate your response, thanks a lot.

Please find my response below:
1) When you say that you took "V first, Q later" does that mean that you took them in one sitting OR did you pause/stop the CAT and work on the 2nd section later? --- I meant I took verbal first, quant later. Took in one sitting.
2) Did you take the FULL CAT each time (including the Essay and IR sections)? - Yes, didn't write the Essay but took the IR

Answer to next set of questions (based on EGMAT and Expert GMAT latest three mocks, the site is down for GMATprep, so I couldn't go through)
After reviewing each section of that CAT, how many questions did you get wrong....
1) Because of a silly/little mistake?
----
Mock1: Quant # 5 (ALG-function, WP-saving & Interest, WP- mixtures, Cooordinate Geometry, NP-estimation rounding) - All five are Hard level, I made silly mistakes in calculation
Mock 2: Quant #5 (2 in coordinate Geo, 1 in WP-saving & interest, 1 NP - estimation & rounding, 1 - Geo )

Mock1: Verbal # 3 (2 in SC-parallelism, 1 in SC-modifier - all 3 medium level questions) - these I would clarify as little mistakes which I didn't notice. (not silly mistake)
Mock2: Verbal # 2 (SC - parallelism, SC - Comparison)
2) Because there was some math/verbal that you just could not remember how to do?
-----
Mock1: Quant #1 : Coordinate Geometry
3) Because the question was too hard?
-----
Mock1: Quant#5: [medium hard: WP- Ratio, ALG - Exponents (2)], [Hard: Permutation & Combination, WP: Sales & Purchase]
Mock2: Quant #6 : [ Alg inequalities - 2, Alg- exp-1, permutation & comb-1, WP: sale & purchase -1, Probablity -1]

Mock1; Verbal #4 [ 2 RC question - one on detail, one on inference, 1 CR - logically complete, 1 SC - subject verb agreement]
Mock2: Verbal #2 [CR- boldface, RC-1 inference]

4) Because you were low on time and had to guess?
Mock1: Quant #1 : Sets (Medium Hard)

Mock1:Verbal #4 : 2-RC, 2- CR
Mock2: Verbal #4 : all 4 from one last CR

5) How many Verbal questions did you 'narrow down to 2 choices' but still get wrong?
Mock1: Verbal #3 : All 3 on CR questions (Strengthen, Inference, Assumption)
Mock2: Verbal #5 : [CR- assumption-2, CR - inference-1, SC-parallelism-1, SC- modifier-1]

looking forward to hearing from you.
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V

Show Tags

New post 25 Nov 2019, 21:13
Hi sadekmshowkat,

I've sent you a PM with some additional notes and questions.

Rich

Target Test Prep Representative
V
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Show Tags

New post 26 Nov 2019, 20:37
Hi sadekmshowkat,

I know that you said that GMAC was previously down, but is the site now working for you? If so, are you able to take another official practice exam?

Regarding your plan, I honestly would not take practice exams every other day. While it’s beneficial to take practice exams, taking them every other day will likely burn you out and not provide any true value in helping to improve your quant and verbal skills. The main purpose of taking practice exams is to determine an updated quant and verbal score. So, if after taking another official practice exam, you find that you are still 50+ points from your score goal, you may consider pushing back your GMAT, continuing to study, and then taking the GMAT once you are truly ready to do so. Once you take your next official practice exam, feel free to reach back out, and I can provide some further advice.

Scott Woodbury-Stewart

Founder and CEO

Scott@TargetTestPrep.com
TTP - Target Test Prep Logo
122 Reviews

5-star rated online GMAT quant
self study course

See why Target Test Prep is the top rated GMAT quant course on GMAT Club. Read Our Reviews

If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Kudos" button.

GMAT Club Bot
Re: GMAT in two weeks, targeting 700+   [#permalink] 26 Nov 2019, 20:37

GMAT in two weeks, targeting 700+

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: DisciplinedPrep