Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 05:53 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 05:53

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1022 [0]
Given Kudos: 134
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
Re: GMAT in two weeks, targeting 700+ [#permalink]
1) studying around 8 hours a day
2) my deadline is 15th December, so can’t push back my dates
3) Indiana uni for PhD

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi sadekmshowkat,

While it might be tempting to try to 'cram' in a lot of study time over these last 2 weeks, 'cramming' rarely leads to great results on Exams such as the GMAT. In addition, if you're going to study 8+ hours a day during this stretch, then you'll greatly increase your chances of 'burning out' before Test Day (which is something that we want to avoid). As such, I suggest that for every 2 hours of study that you do, you take one hour "off" (re: study for 2 hours, take 1 hour off, study for another 2 hours, take 1 hour off, etc. - the exception will be when you take your CATs, since those should each be done in a continuous 3.5 hour block).

I have a few follow-up questions on how you took your CATs:
1) When you say that you took "V first, Q later" does that mean that you took them in one sitting OR did you pause/stop the CAT and work on the 2nd section later?
2) Did you take the FULL CAT each time (including the Essay and IR sections)?

In addition, "review" is an exceptionally important part of the GMAT training process; your ability to define WHY you're getting questions wrong is essential to defining the areas that you need to work on (and the specific things that you need to 'fix'). As such, I'd like to know a bit more about the Official CAT that you took (the 660). While a full Mistake Tracker would provide a lot more information, there are some basic questions that you should be able to answer (and the more EXACT you can be with your answers, the better):

After reviewing each section of that CAT, how many questions did you get wrong....
1) Because of a silly/little mistake?
2) Because there was some math/verbal that you just could not remember how to do?
3) Because the question was too hard?
4) Because you were low on time and had to guess?
5) How many Verbal questions did you 'narrow down to 2 choices' but still get wrong?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
GMAT in two weeks, targeting 700+ [#permalink]
Hi,
Appreciate your response, thanks a lot.

Please find my response below:
1) When you say that you took "V first, Q later" does that mean that you took them in one sitting OR did you pause/stop the CAT and work on the 2nd section later? --- I meant I took verbal first, quant later. Took in one sitting.
2) Did you take the FULL CAT each time (including the Essay and IR sections)? - Yes, didn't write the Essay but took the IR

Answer to next set of questions (based on EGMAT and Expert GMAT latest three mocks, the site is down for GMATprep, so I couldn't go through)
After reviewing each section of that CAT, how many questions did you get wrong....
1) Because of a silly/little mistake?
----
Mock1: Quant # 5 (ALG-function, WP-saving & Interest, WP- mixtures, Cooordinate Geometry, NP-estimation rounding) - All five are Hard level, I made silly mistakes in calculation
Mock 2: Quant #5 (2 in coordinate Geo, 1 in WP-saving & interest, 1 NP - estimation & rounding, 1 - Geo )

Mock1: Verbal # 3 (2 in SC-parallelism, 1 in SC-modifier - all 3 medium level questions) - these I would clarify as little mistakes which I didn't notice. (not silly mistake)
Mock2: Verbal # 2 (SC - parallelism, SC - Comparison)
2) Because there was some math/verbal that you just could not remember how to do?
-----
Mock1: Quant #1 : Coordinate Geometry
3) Because the question was too hard?
-----
Mock1: Quant#5: [medium hard: WP- Ratio, ALG - Exponents (2)], [Hard: Permutation & Combination, WP: Sales & Purchase]
Mock2: Quant #6 : [ Alg inequalities - 2, Alg- exp-1, permutation & comb-1, WP: sale & purchase -1, Probablity -1]

Mock1; Verbal #4 [ 2 RC question - one on detail, one on inference, 1 CR - logically complete, 1 SC - subject verb agreement]
Mock2: Verbal #2 [CR- boldface, RC-1 inference]

4) Because you were low on time and had to guess?
Mock1: Quant #1 : Sets (Medium Hard)

Mock1:Verbal #4 : 2-RC, 2- CR
Mock2: Verbal #4 : all 4 from one last CR

5) How many Verbal questions did you 'narrow down to 2 choices' but still get wrong?
Mock1: Verbal #3 : All 3 on CR questions (Strengthen, Inference, Assumption)
Mock2: Verbal #5 : [CR- assumption-2, CR - inference-1, SC-parallelism-1, SC- modifier-1]

looking forward to hearing from you.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi sadekmshowkat,

I've sent you a PM with some additional notes and questions.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22050 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi sadekmshowkat,

I know that you said that GMAC was previously down, but is the site now working for you? If so, are you able to take another official practice exam?

Regarding your plan, I honestly would not take practice exams every other day. While it’s beneficial to take practice exams, taking them every other day will likely burn you out and not provide any true value in helping to improve your quant and verbal skills. The main purpose of taking practice exams is to determine an updated quant and verbal score. So, if after taking another official practice exam, you find that you are still 50+ points from your score goal, you may consider pushing back your GMAT, continuing to study, and then taking the GMAT once you are truly ready to do so. Once you take your next official practice exam, feel free to reach back out, and I can provide some further advice.
GMAT Club Bot