GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 14 Nov 2019, 04:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

GMAT prep score is disappointing

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT prep score is disappointing  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Oct 2019, 03:48
Hi

I just finished my last gmat prep exam and I scored again a frustrating 520.

I was studying between my first gmat prep exam and my last gmat prep exam at least 200 hours. I did all the 8 Manhattan books and I solved the questions from the gmat official guide 2020.

The worst thing is that my score got lower and lower the more I studied and the more often I took the gmat prep exams.
In one week I have my REAL gmat exam and honestly, I don't have any idea how I should score there at least a 600 score :(

My ggmat prep scores were as follow:
1: 530 (verbal 27, quant 43)
2: 550 (verbal 40, quant 45)
3: 550 (verbal 62, quant 28)
4: 530 (verbal 23, quant 52)
5: 520 (verbal 18, quant 52)
6: 520 (verbal 23, quant 45)

Can somebody give me some recommendations what I can do until my exam? Someone experienced the same? Or are the gmat prep socres 3 to 6 not as reliable thant gmat prep score 1 and 2?

Thank you so much for any hints you may have
Sebastian
HEC & IMD School Moderator
G
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: GMAT prep score is disappointing  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Oct 2019, 04:16
Hi,
I can imagine your frustration on the dropping score even though you are studying more. I think, you need to re-study the basic concepts. You are making a lot of mistakes in earlier section of exam and consecutive mistakes. Due to them, computer is giving you 550-600 level questions and keeps your level there only. All the official GMAT prep exams are reliable.

You need to go through BASICS once again slowly. Kindly see if you can postpone the date of your exam.

Automated Profile Evaluation is here - What are my Chances?
New Users can follow the founder BB and look at Study Plan
Not happy with current GMAT - check Retake Strategy
Follow the experts - Bunuel | Chetan2u | GMATNinja | nightblade354 | SajjadAhmad
Useful forums All you need for Quant | Quant Megathread
Beginners - (SC | CR | RC) | Megathreads - (SC Megathread | CR Megathread | RC Megathread)
Planning for MBA? Follow MBA section director Narenn
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 23 Oct 2019, 20:57
Hi Sebastian,

GMAC has publicly stated that the Official Score that you earn on Test Day is within +/- 30 points of actual ability. Assuming a similar 'swing' in how your CATs function, your 6 CAT score results show that you essentially performed the same each time (about 540 +/- a few points). You handle certain aspects of the GMAT consistently well, but you also make certain consistent mistakes. The swings in your Quant and Verbal percentiles are likely due to a mix of 'lucky' and 'unlucky' guesses and little mistakes on individual Exams.

From what you describe, your studies have been 'book heavy'; unfortunately, many Test Takers who study in that way end up getting 'stuck' at a particular score level. Even the best books are limited in what they can teach you; they also can't force you to approach questions in a certain way and their explanations are often one-sided. You might consider rescheduling your Exam, although since you're so close to your Test Date, the rescheduling fee would be $150. There's no harm in taking the GMAT as scheduled, but raising a 540 to the point that you can consistently score 600+ will likely require at least another month of consistent, guided study, meaning that you would likely end up repaying to take the GMAT again later.

Before I can offer you any additional advice for your studies, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on your timeline and your goals:

1) Is your Goal Score 600 or something else?
2) What Schools are you planning to apply to?
3) What application deadlines are you facing?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

The Course Used By GMAT Club Moderators To Earn 750+

souvik101990 Score: 760 Q50 V42 ★★★★★
ENGRTOMBA2018 Score: 750 Q49 V44 ★★★★★
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 24 Oct 2019, 08:09
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi Sebastian,

GMAC has publicly stated that the Official Score that you earn on Test Day is within +/- 30 points of actual ability. Assuming a similar 'swing' in how your CATs function, your 6 CAT score results show that you essentially performed the same each time (about 540 +/- a few points). You handle certain aspects of the GMAT consistently well, but you also make certain consistent mistakes. The swings in your Quant and Verbal percentiles are likely due to a mix of 'lucky' and 'unlucky' guesses and little mistakes on individual Exams.

From what you describe, your studies have been 'book heavy'; unfortunately, many Test Takers who study in that way end up getting 'stuck' at a particular score level. Even the best books are limited in what they can teach you; they also can't force you to approach questions in a certain way and their explanations are often one-sided. You might consider rescheduling your Exam, although since you're so close to your Test Date, the rescheduling fee would be $150. There's no harm in taking the GMAT as scheduled, but raising a 540 to the point that you can consistently score 600+ will likely require at least another month of consistent, guided study, meaning that you would likely end up repaying to take the GMAT again later.

Before I can offer you any additional advice for your studies, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on your timeline and your goals:

1) Is your Goal Score 600 or something else?
2) What Schools are you planning to apply to?
3) What application deadlines are you facing?

Rich

Hi Rich,

Thanks a lot for replying!!

Regarding your questions, my goal is 650. I know that I can't achieve much more than this but I was always thinking 650 should be possible.
2) I am interested in Imperial College London, NUS and Bocconi and they all have average GMAT scores in the range of my goal.
3) Most of the deadlines I'm facing are either end of December.

Is there a specific book you can recommend me? And how I can avoid silly mistakes during the GMAT?

Thank you so much for taking time for me!
Sebastian
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V

Show Tags

New post 24 Oct 2019, 13:00
Hi Sebastian,

With a Score Goal of 650+, you will likely require at least another 2 months of consistent, guided study - and you'll have to make significant improvements to how you handle BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections. Certain issues (such as pacing and making silly mistakes) do not exist on their own - they're the results of OTHER issues. It's likely that you've developed some 'bad habits' during your prior studies that will take some time to 'fix' (and replace with new 'good habits'). Ultimately, while you do not need to start your studies 'from scratch', you will need to change how you 'see' (and respond to) the GMAT on a fundamental level.

Based on your application deadlines, you could potentially hit a 650 in the timeframe that you have described, but you will have to be really efficient with your studies going forward.

1) Going forward, how many hours do you think you can consistently study each week?

Rich

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate

Show Tags

New post 24 Oct 2019, 15:51
If books only didn’t work , why not try an online course. Your verbal needs work is it RC ,CR or SC Try to find the weakest area and work on it for quick improvement
Same applies to Quant since you have limited time
Sebastiannn wrote:
Hi

I just finished my last gmat prep exam and I scored again a frustrating 520.

I was studying between my first gmat prep exam and my last gmat prep exam at least 200 hours. I did all the 8 Manhattan books and I solved the questions from the gmat official guide 2020.

The worst thing is that my score got lower and lower the more I studied and the more often I took the gmat prep exams.
In one week I have my REAL gmat exam and honestly, I don't have any idea how I should score there at least a 600 score :(

My ggmat prep scores were as follow:
1: 530 (verbal 27, quant 43)
2: 550 (verbal 40, quant 45)
3: 550 (verbal 62, quant 28)
4: 530 (verbal 23, quant 52)
5: 520 (verbal 18, quant 52)
6: 520 (verbal 23, quant 45)

Can somebody give me some recommendations what I can do until my exam? Someone experienced the same? Or are the gmat prep socres 3 to 6 not as reliable thant gmat prep score 1 and 2?

Thank you so much for any hints you may have
Sebastian

Posted from my mobile device
Target Test Prep Representative
V
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Show Tags

New post 24 Oct 2019, 19:39
Hi Sebastian,

I’m sorry to hear how things have been going with your GMAT prep. The good news is that as long as you follow a linear and structured study plan as well as a realistic timeline, you CAN improve your GMAT score. That said, it’s unlikely that you’ll be able to improve your GMAT score by 50 to 80 points in just one week. The reality is that you have a number of weak areas in both quant and verbal that need to be addressed in order to improve your GMAT score. Improving those weaknesses will take more time than just 7 days.

With all that said, would you like some general advice on how to improve your GMAT quant and verbal skills?

Feel free to reach out with further questions.

Scott Woodbury-Stewart

Founder and CEO

Scott@TargetTestPrep.com
TTP - Target Test Prep Logo
122 Reviews

5-star rated online GMAT quant
self study course

See why Target Test Prep is the top rated GMAT quant course on GMAT Club. Read Our Reviews

If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Kudos" button.

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 24 Oct 2019, 21:55
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi Sebastian,

With a Score Goal of 650+, you will likely require at least another 2 months of consistent, guided study - and you'll have to make significant improvements to how you handle BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections. Certain issues (such as pacing and making silly mistakes) do not exist on their own - they're the results of OTHER issues. It's likely that you've developed some 'bad habits' during your prior studies that will take some time to 'fix' (and replace with new 'good habits'). Ultimately, while you do not need to start your studies 'from scratch', you will need to change how you 'see' (and respond to) the GMAT on a fundamental level.

Based on your application deadlines, you could potentially hit a 650 in the timeframe that you have described, but you will have to be really efficient with your studies going forward.

1) Going forward, how many hours do you think you can consistently study each week?

Rich

Hello Rich,

I could study around 25 hours a week. That is the same amount as I did in the past few weeks as well.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 24 Oct 2019, 23:00
ScottTargetTestPrep wrote:
Hi Sebastian,

I’m sorry to hear how things have been going with your GMAT prep. The good news is that as long as you follow a linear and structured study plan as well as a realistic timeline, you CAN improve your GMAT score. That said, it’s unlikely that you’ll be able to improve your GMAT score by 50 to 80 points in just one week. The reality is that you have a number of weak areas in both quant and verbal that need to be addressed in order to improve your GMAT score. Improving those weaknesses will take more time than just 7 days.

With all that said, would you like some general advice on how to improve your GMAT quant and verbal skills?

Feel free to reach out with further questions.

Hi Scott,

I think I understood now from the feedbacks I got, that it is not possible to achieve my goal within one week.
Do you know a specific study plan which works quite good for most test takers? Or the link where I can find one?

Thank you so much!!
Sebastian
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V

Show Tags

New post 25 Oct 2019, 13:03
Hi Sebastian,

If you're still going to take your Official GMAT as scheduled, then you should certainly do your best throughout the Exam. You can then use that experience - and your Enhanced Score Report (if you purchase it) - to better define some of the specific areas that you would need to work.

Based on everything that you’ve described, I think that you would find the EMPOWERgmat Total Score Booster to be quite helpful. Most of our clients complete that Study Plan in well under 2 months, so the time commitment wouldn't be that bad. We have a variety of free resources on our site (www.empowergmat.com), so you can 'test out' the Course before setting up an Account.

If you have any additional questions, then you can feel free to contact me directly.

Rich

Target Test Prep Representative
V
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Show Tags

New post 29 Oct 2019, 18:19
Sebastiannn wrote:
Hi Scott,

I think I understood now from the feedbacks I got, that it is not possible to achieve my goal within one week.
Do you know a specific study plan which works quite good for most test takers? Or the link where I can find one?

Thank you so much!!
Sebastian

Hi Sebastian,

Are you looking for advice regarding prep materials?

Scott Woodbury-Stewart

Founder and CEO

Scott@TargetTestPrep.com
TTP - Target Test Prep Logo
122 Reviews

5-star rated online GMAT quant
self study course

See why Target Test Prep is the top rated GMAT quant course on GMAT Club. Read Our Reviews

If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Kudos" button.

GMAT Club Bot
Re: GMAT prep score is disappointing   [#permalink] 29 Oct 2019, 18:19

GMAT prep score is disappointing

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: DisciplinedPrep