Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 12:04 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 12:04

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11668 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: GMAT Questions- Schedule in Advance, Best Approach to increase score? [#permalink]
Thanks for the response. I've been scoring around the same. No real improvement.

Verbal 27 / Quant 42
Verbal 28 / Quant 40
Verbal 29 / Quant 40

I'm a very slow test taker. I was usually one of the last people out of test room in college / high school but we always had much more time. Quant i'm usually guessing the last few answers. Verbal i can finish on time.

I'm in no rush to apply. If i can reach my target GMAT score then i will probably apply next year. I was thinking to retake test in December so i can use some holiday / vacation time (around two weeks) and be fully rested / more prepared. I took the GMAT on a Saturday after a full work week so maybe using some vacation time will help.

Thanks again
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Re: GMAT Questions- Schedule in Advance, Best Approach to increase score? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi Nawz,

From your last post, it sounds like you've taken the GMAT already. Is that true? Are the 3 scores you listed Official GMAT Scores or practice CAT Test Scores?

In either case, you have the potential to pick up serious points in BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections. Considering the consistency in these results though, it appears that you might have gotten 'stuck' at this level. As such, you're going to have to make some significant changes to how you 'see' (and respond to) the Test to hit your goal score. It's also possible that you've developed some 'bad habits' that will take time to fix (and replace with new "good habits"). All of that work will likely take another 2 months of consistent, guided study. With a December Test Date, you still have plenty of time to study and improve though.

1) Going forward, how many hours do you think you can consistently study each week?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Rich,

I did take the test already. The scores are a combination of real GMAT / practice tests. I can study 1-2 hours per weekday and 2-4 on weekend.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V47
Send PM
I personally think you should get ready and then schedule a test, unless you need it by a certain date.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Nawz,

When you say that you are a 'slow' Test Taker, what does that mean exactly? Do you find that you have to read the questions more than once before you get started working? Do you get 'lost' while working through a question, then have to go back and double-check your work up to that point? Are you currently on any medications such as Ritalin or Adderall?

You don't have to be a 'fast' Test Taker to score at a high level on the GMAT, but you DO have to 'efficient.' Thankfully, the GMAT is a consistent, predictable Exam, so you CAN train to score at a higher level.

Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Rich,

I usually, especially in math, take longer than most people to finish tests. I typically like to check my work as there are usually multiple ways to complete a math problem. Also, in many math problems on the GMAT, i see the long way route (completing all the algebra, etc.) clearly but I don't always see the shortcut routes.

In regards to your first question i do sometimes re-read the question a few times. In regards to your other two questions the answer is no.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Nawz,

Based on everything that you've described so far, it seems as though "your way" of approaching Quant questions is often the "long way." The Quant section of the GMAT is NOT a 'math test'; it's a critical thinking test that requires lots of little calculations as you work through it. Thus, you have to train to 'see' the Quant section in that strategic way - otherwise, you will likely continue to face those same pacing issues and earn those same results. So now the issue is whether you're willing to work through that training. The good news is that the work is easy; the bad news is that learning new ways to do things is sometimes difficult for some people.

Rich
GMAT Club Bot