It is currently 22 Feb 2018, 10:52

TODAY:

MIT Sloan Releasing 1st Wave of Interview Invites - Join GMATClub CHAT for Live Updates

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT Retake Strategy: Success with focusing on the low Quant score?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
GMAT Retake Strategy: Success with focusing on the low Quant score? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Apr 2017, 07:28
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hi All,

I am going to retake the GMAT. If I had a relatively high verbal score and a lower quant score, and in my retake my verbal score goes down but my quant score increases, does that mean that the GMAT will only take my higher scores of my two tests (High verbal from first test and high quant from upcoming second test)? It would help if I do not have to re-study for all of the subjects, so I am hoping to use this strategy.
Board of Directors
V
Concentration: Healthcare, Technology
GPA: 3.65
WE: Information Technology (Health Care)
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: GMAT Retake Strategy: Success with focusing on the low Quant score? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Apr 2017, 07:34
TigeronFire wrote:
Hi All,

I am going to retake the GMAT. If I had a relatively high verbal score and a lower quant score, and in my retake my verbal score goes down but my quant score increases, does that mean that the GMAT will only take my higher scores of my two tests (High verbal from first test and high quant from upcoming second test)? It would help if I do not have to re-study for all of the subjects, so I am hoping to use this strategy.

Unfortunetly, this doesn't work like that. :(

They will consider your whole GMAT Score (including Verbal and Quant as one).

Let's say you score as follows:

GMAT 1: Quant 20 and Verbal 50 --> Total: 650

GMAT 2: Quant 51 and Verbal 21 --. Total 670

Your highest score will be GMAT 2 and not GMAT 1. So, your individual scores considered under GMAT 2 would be Q51 and V21.

Had it been the way you are thinking, you would have got 800 score. But it doesn't work like that. :P :-D

I hope that makes sense.

How I improved from V21 to V40! ?

How to use this forum in THE BEST way?

Expert Post
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
D
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170
Re: GMAT Retake Strategy: Success with focusing on the low Quant score? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Apr 2017, 10:24
Hi TigeronFire,

Each Official GMAT that you take provides its own score for Quant, Verbal, Essay, IR and Overall Score. Thus, 'combining' individual pieces from multiple GMAT scores does not occur. Most Business Schools don't care if you take the GMAT once, but it's unlikely that a School will use your 'best pieces' from multiple Exams. As such, you have to train to put together a strong OVERALL performance in one go.

From what you've described, it sounds like you've taken the GMAT at least once already. Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) How long have you studied?
2) What materials have you used?
3) How did you score on the Official GMAT (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores)?

Goals:
4) What is your goal score?
5) When are you planning to retake the GMAT?
6) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
7) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Verbal Forum Moderator
V
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Kelley '20, ISB '19
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 27 Apr 2017, 21:00
TigeronFire wrote:
Hi All,

Hi TigeronFire ,
No, b schools won't club your high verbal from the first attempt and high quant score from the next test.
To improve on quant, you can refer to Manhattan or Veritas Foundation guides. Once you are clear with the basics, then should take the GMAT Club tests for additional practice.
Also , you can solve questions in Bunuel's signature .

Hope this helps!! :)

When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. - Henry Ford
The Moment You Think About Giving Up, Think Of The Reason Why You Held On So Long
+1 Kudos if you find this post helpful

Re: GMAT Retake Strategy: Success with focusing on the low Quant score?   [#permalink] 27 Apr 2017, 21:00

GMAT Retake Strategy: Success with focusing on the low Quant score?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

HOT DEALS FOR FEBRUARY
Math Revolution - $69/mo Type Coupon Code: HOTDEAL2
Economist GMAT - Free Free 1-week trial + Free Test
examPAL - $75 off all packages Valentine's special. Valid until Feb. 15
Kaplan Courses - Save $475 $225 Discount + $250 Bonus
Target Test Prep - Save $800 $50 Discount + $750 Bonus [GMAT Club
Tests and Premium MBA Bundle]
EMPOWERgmat - $99/mo GMAT Club tests included 2nd month
GMAT Club Tests - Free Included with every course purchase
of $149 or more - Full List is here

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap