Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 21:32 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 21:32

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Finance, Accounting
Schools: Jenkins"19
GMAT 1: 500 Q32 V26
GPA: 3.29
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [1]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: GMAT Scored 410, THEN 500! NEED AT LEAST 550-600! HELP [#permalink]
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi PeterKim,

To start, I'm hoping that you can clarify a couple of points:

1) You seem convinced that you 'need' a 600+ to get into your dream School. How do you know that you 'need' that score?
2) You then state that you'd be satisfied with a 550+. So if you're convinced that you need a 600+, then why would you be happy with a 550? Are you thinking about applying to any other Schools?

Beyond those questions....
3) On what dates did you take the Official GMAT?
4) When exactly are you planning to apply to Business School?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

Sure, sounds like I should've been more detailed in my aspirations.
1) The reason I'm convinced that I 'need' a 600+ to get into my dream School is because after doing extensive research, I found that with my current GMAT score (500), UNC Kenan-Flagler full time MBA has a range of 640-740 (mid 80%) with a median GMAT of 710, and I feel like even if my LOR and essays are stellar, it still won't be good enough to be accepted. I feel like a 550 or even a 600 is definitely a better shot for me to even attempt to get into that school.
2) I do have two fall back schools, but even the other fall back school has a average GMAT score of 610 so I feel like all these schools won't even look at my application with such a low score of 500.

3) I took the official GMAT test 1) on August 1, 2016 and test 2) on Nov 21, 2016
4) I'm planning to apply to B-school around August of 2017 (upcoming yr) for early round deadline.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
GMATPILLBILL wrote:
Hi PeterKim,

The fact that you have studied for so long, and have seen fluctuations in your scores might indicate a problem with your study habits.

As you study, we recommend that you focus on quality over quantity.

Doing hundreds of hundreds of more questions without really understanding the concepts or the booby traps that you’re falling into will not necessarily get you where you want to be.

Try going back to previous questions and seeing if you can answer them with ease. The more you can answer correctly, the more likely it is that you understand the material.

As you study, we recommend that you focus on one particular subsection for multiple consecutive days before moving onto the next. You can see this in our study plan where we recommend 5 days on nothing but SC -- before moving onto CR and then RC.

Here is a customized 2-3 month study plan that can help boost your score: https://www.gmatpill.com/gmat-practice-t ... study-plan

Here is a sample SC video to help you start your journey: https://www.gmatpill.com/sentencecorrect ... ythons.mp4

Great! I'm in a reset mode right now after having taken the exam last week, so I plan to create a new study plan to fix my weaknesses and get after it again in a couple of months- seeing what other recommendations there are for me at this point- if I should take the exam again or not.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi PeterKim,

Since you've been studying recently, and most of the concepts should still be fresh in your mind, it would make sense to continue to study now. In that way, you'll have a better chance of 'locking in' a higher score, as opposed to trying to restart your studies later. With another 1.5 - 2 months of consistent, guided study, I think that you could have a good chance at hitting your score goal. I suggest that you take a week 'off' from studying, then come back with a focus on learning and practicing some new Tactics.

1) How many hours do you think you could consistently study each week going forward?

Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi PeterKim,

Since you've been studying recently, and most of the concepts should still be fresh in your mind, it would make sense to continue to study now. In that way, you'll have a better chance of 'locking in' a higher score, as opposed to trying to restart your studies later. With another 1.5 - 2 months of consistent, guided study, I think that you could have a good chance at hitting your score goal. I suggest that you take a week 'off' from studying, then come back with a focus on learning and practicing some new Tactics.

1) How many hours do you think you could consistently study each week going forward?

Rich

Honestly with the work schedule and working out, I usually have 1-1.5 hrs to workout before I head to bed.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi PeterKim,

You didn't actually answer my last question. However, based on the answer that you DID provide, I have some follow-up questions about your prior studies:

1) What type of study routine were you following? You said that you studied for 4 months, but what schedule were you following? How many hours did you study each week (and what days/times did you study)?
2) Were you only studying at night (before bed)?

Rich
GMAT Club Bot