Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 03:31 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 03:31

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72918 [74]
Given Kudos: 18870
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [3]
Given Kudos: 76
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V31
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.51
Send PM
Re: GMAT Online Physical Whiteboard [Master Topic] [#permalink]
any strategies out yet for using the physical whiteboard to track timing? Similar to in person with the breaking into third/quarters for quant??
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72918 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
maxraxstax wrote:
any strategies out yet for using the physical whiteboard to track timing? Similar to in person with the breaking into third/quarters for quant??

I used to write down the time markers on the scratch paper (so now you would do it on the whiteboard)
See this topic for the ideas: https://gmatclub.com/forum/timing-strat ... 06035.html
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72918 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
NischalP wrote:
Hi

Is there any particular position we have to place the whiteboard for the proctor to monitor. ( Just wanted to know if it brings any discomfort )

Posted from my mobile device

Not really. There are no issues/restrictions (unless you are going to be doing something unreasonable). Most put it flat on the desk and use it that way (which works well if you have a laptop on a stand or a monitor).
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 193 [4]
Given Kudos: 329
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: CBS '23 (M)
GRE 1: Q170 V163
WE:Other (Other)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Hi bb. Thank you for this. I have the Staedtler Lumocolor non-permanent - the one from the image you have posted. The problem is that this marker is water soluble and not dry erase. Which means it's hard to erase the board without any water (at least that's been the case for me). I've searched online and offline for dry erase markers, but I can't find them in fine tip. Can I use a few drops of water from the glass that I have with me to erase the board? If I do that then I also need a cloth that can soak up the water, which is not allowed right now. In that case can I just use my t-shirt? I'm not sure how people have been dealing with this. Do you have any ideas how to go about this?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Given Kudos: 96
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V40
Send PM
Hi Guys.
I looked in other posts but couldnt find a reply to the below mentioned query, so asking here.
I accidentally forgot to show my whiteboard to my proctor before the beginning of my break before IR. I dont remember the screen giving a prompt to show a clean whiteboard like it does at the end of IR. Neither did the proctor say anything. I just pinged her saying I'm taking a break and went out.
Am I in trouble? :o
PM Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 182 [2]
Given Kudos: 197
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V41
Send PM
Kudos
blackbirdsr71 wrote:
Hi Guys.
I looked in other posts but couldnt find a reply to the below mentioned query, so asking here.
I accidentally forgot to show my whiteboard to my proctor before the beginning of my break before IR. I dont remember the screen giving a prompt to show a clean whiteboard like it does at the end of IR. Neither did the proctor say anything. I just pinged her saying I'm taking a break and went out.
Am I in trouble? :o

Does not seem like. At worst, they may take time reviewing your video and checking your actions. But, I dont feel there should be any problem.
Does the screen give a prompt to show the whiteboard? (I am asking since I havent yet attempted a test with physical board, but read a number of expereince reports)
Do they ask you to show the back side of the board too? Mine has a V shaped stand at the back so I am worried that they may object
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72918 [4]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
I think it is just fine. We had people score 750 and have chat App messages popping out during the test ?

Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Given Kudos: 96
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V40
Send PM
Hahaha, that's a relief. thanks bb and arora1.
arora1, TBH, I was too pumped up towards the end of V as the ordeal finally came to an end, so I'm only 80% sure that there was no prompt at the start of the break before IR. Definitely no prompt at the end of break. The only prompt I got was at the end of IR to show a clean whiteboard.
Regarding your other query, I think it should be fine. I had a Mickey mouse sticker with some quote at the back of my whiteboard but nobody said anything :D
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 43
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
Send PM
Hi bb. Why did you find the EXPO dry erase Ultra fine tip better than the Staedtler (official one)?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 57
Send PM
Hi Guys,
Pardon my ignorance or if I am mistaken, but is there no time- break in between quant & verbal section in new GMAT online (one with physical whiteboard)??
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11669 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi anumnit90,

When you take the Official GMAT at a Test Facility, you have 3 options for section-order and you have the option to take an 8-minute break after each "third" of the Test. However, with the At-home GMAT, the section order is 'fixed' (Quant first, Verbal section, then IR) and you have only one option for a break - AFTER the Verbal section. Thus, if you are planning to take the At-home Exam, you have to train to take both the Quant and Verbal sections in one sitting with NO break (and you might find that your Verbal performance suffers a bit under these testing conditions).

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 228 [0]
Given Kudos: 116
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V44 (Online)
GPA: 3.61
Send PM
bb wrote:
GMAT Online Physical Whiteboard

GMAT online has been extended to July 17 and starting June 12, you can take the GMAT online at home with a physical whiteboard. Those who have taken GMAT Online with the virtual whiteboard are allowed to retest. So far that is the only case that allows re-testing.

Physical Whiteboard specifications (as of 6/14):
  • 1 erasable whiteboard no larger than 12 inches x 20 inches (30 centimetres x 50 centimetres)
  • Up to 2 dry erase markers
  • 1 dry erase whiteboard eraser

The following items are NOT allowed:
  • Whiteboards with grids or other markings
  • Whiteboards with background colors
  • Paper
  • Pen / Pencil
  • Permanent Marker
  • Tissues, Paper Towels, Napkins
  • Whiteboard Spray
  • Paper in a clear slide
  • Boogie Boards
  • Chalkboards
  • Writing Tablets

Q: Can I use the MGMAT Test-taking booklet?
A: No, GMAC clarified in their list of prohibited items that in addition to boogieboards (so ridiculous to even list this), you cannot use a whiteboard with gridmarks or color, which eliminates MGMAT and other practice booklets with laminated sheets

Q: Which Marker should I use?
A: You should get the dry-erase (different from non-permanent) and my best experience so far has been with the EXPO dry erase Ultra fine tip - see below an image with a comparison of different markers including the test-center grade marker. The ultra-fine tip was the best but it degrades over time so make sure you get 2 (as rules allow for 2 markers). They also tend to dry up in the hours of test-taking but it is not terrible really. With the ultra-fine tip you will be able to use a dry erase board for 4-8 questions before you have to wipe it, likely 4-6. The big "classic tip" markers will cut that capacity down to 2 questions.

Which whiteboard should I use?
A: Any kind you can get in your country that meets the size requirements. You will have it sitting on your desk so something without crazy frames/big attachments would be best.

-

bb Do you know whether a double-sided whiteboard (so that one could write on both sides) is allowed? Also, how it is quite difficult to find a standardized 30cm by 50cm. If one exceed say by 5-6 cm on either dimension, would that be a problem?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Kudos
Are we allowed to use the physical whiteboard for quant and then switch over to the online whiteboard for verbal?
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72918 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Yes. You can use both. But few people have bothered with switching.

Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 228 [0]
Given Kudos: 116
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V44 (Online)
GPA: 3.61
Send PM
hey

Could someone please confirm whether a double sided whiteboard is allowed?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 43
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
Send PM
bb wrote:
GMAT Online Physical Whiteboard

GMAT online has been extended to July 17 and starting June 12, you can take the GMAT online at home with a physical whiteboard. Those who have taken GMAT Online with the virtual whiteboard are allowed to retest. So far that is the only case that allows re-testing.

Physical Whiteboard specifications (as of 6/14):
  • 1 erasable whiteboard no larger than 12 inches x 20 inches (30 centimetres x 50 centimetres)
  • Up to 2 dry erase markers
  • 1 dry erase whiteboard eraser

The following items are NOT allowed:
  • Whiteboards with grids or other markings
  • Whiteboards with background colors
  • Paper
  • Pen / Pencil
  • Permanent Marker
  • Tissues, Paper Towels, Napkins
  • Whiteboard Spray
  • Paper in a clear slide
  • Boogie Boards
  • Chalkboards
  • Writing Tablets

Q: Can I use the MGMAT Test-taking booklet?
A: No, GMAC clarified in their list of prohibited items that in addition to boogieboards (so ridiculous to even list this), you cannot use a whiteboard with gridmarks or color, which eliminates MGMAT and other practice booklets with laminated sheets

Q: Which Marker should I use?
A: You should get the dry-erase (different from non-permanent) and my best experience so far has been with the EXPO dry erase Ultra fine tip - see below an image with a comparison of different markers including the test-center grade marker. The ultra-fine tip was the best but it degrades over time so make sure you get 2 (as rules allow for 2 markers). They also tend to dry up in the hours of test-taking but it is not terrible really. With the ultra-fine tip you will be able to use a dry erase board for 4-8 questions before you have to wipe it, likely 4-6. The big "classic tip" markers will cut that capacity down to 2 questions.

Which whiteboard should I use?
A: Any kind you can get in your country that meets the size requirements. You will have it sitting on your desk so something without crazy frames/big attachments would be best.

-

Hi bb! Would you help me with an urgent help please?

In Brazil there is VERY LITTLE option for fine tip markers and there isn't sufficient time to wait for imports.

Is this marker (attached) as good as the options you put on the screen (the Expo ultra fine and Staedtler)? Would it work?

Happy to hear perspective from others as well! souvik101990
Attachments

2020-06-23 23_26_24-(11) Caneta Para Quadro Branco (ponta Fina) 0.7 Mm - 05 Unidades - R$ 25,00 em M.png
2020-06-23 23_26_24-(11) Caneta Para Quadro Branco (ponta Fina) 0.7 Mm - 05 Unidades - R$ 25,00 em M.png [ 201.85 KiB | Viewed 54752 times ]

2020-06-23 23_26_09-(11) Caneta Para Quadro Branco (ponta Fina) 0.7 Mm - 05 Unidades - R$ 25,00 em M.png
2020-06-23 23_26_09-(11) Caneta Para Quadro Branco (ponta Fina) 0.7 Mm - 05 Unidades - R$ 25,00 em M.png [ 536.03 KiB | Viewed 54767 times ]

Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72918 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
I can't tell from the picture but it should not matter. As long as you can use it, you should be OK. I don't think having extra fine vs. fine tip is going to change your score frankly. Souvik used the worst type of all, the super fat one and he managed a 760. His issue was questions and verbal, not markers ;-)
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8