It is currently 20 Oct 2017, 23:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

UPDATE: Scored 700 twice, need strategy to get target score of 740

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 95

GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V35
WE: Consulting (Non-Profit and Government)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
UPDATE: Scored 700 twice, need strategy to get target score of 740 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 May 2017, 01:46
I am writing this as a journal to keep track of my performance, hopefully get some inputs and tips in the process as we :wink: ll.

I have been preparing intensively for gmat for past couple of months. When I started preparing my scores in official gmat tests were 670 (Q49, V33), 660 (Q48, V32) in same order, about 4-5 months ago. After strenuous application in SC and CR, I have been able to improve my verbal score to 39-40. These are the mocks that I gave 2 weeks back.

25th April 2017 : Manhattan 690 (Q44, V39), test conditions, full length
27th April 2017 : Manhattan 690 (Q44, V39), test conditions full length
28th April 2017: Manhattan 630( Q40,V36), not full length, lots of distractions in breaks :?

I gave my gmat official mock on 4th May 2017, scored 700 (Q47, V40).
Here is an overview of verbal score in GMAT mock:
Sc 44( 4 questions wrong) , RC 38 (only 2 ques wrong out of 13) and Cr 37 (was really tough - 5 wrong out of 11).

Tad disappointed with my quant performance :oops: :shock: , especially since I am an engineer and thought I had decent quant skills to reach 49-50. Although I am happy with verbal, I am not ignoring the possibility it could be a fluke. So not taking verbal for granted.
I'm also having timing issue in both quant and verbal, had 5 questions wrong in last 10 ques of verbal.

Here is what I plan to do in coming 2 weeks

Verbal plan:
I am really lost wrt Cr as I really worked hard on it, did powerprep cr, Aristotle lsat questions for gmat and gmat question packs. I didn't prepare for RC but am now trying to cover RC as well coz my performance is variable in it, even with 2 questions wrong rc can drop to 38.
So for CR I am reviewing LSAT papers, if I have time I would revise Powerprep. For RC, I am going to review GMAT OG questions. SC I am revising my notes, Manhattan SC and Aristotle grail SC.

Math plan:
I am going all guns blazing to get quant back to 49-50 range and am doing all manhattan math guides, page by page attempting all questions.
Also looking up bunuels thread for questions I'm getting wrong and similar question family, e.g. Population question series were very insightful.

My target score is 750 for which I realise I need to have Q50-51 and V42-44.

Mocks: in coming 2 weeks I also plan to give 4 mocks from gmat exam packs, and do OG questions revision. I will also be giving 800score math mocks under timed conditions to improve exam stamina and timing.

I am also having to balance office with preparation but have some flexibility and day offs being an independent consultant, still have to keep an eye on deliverable with gmat preparation.

My exam got cancelled due to some circumstances, more on that later. I am yet to reschedule my exam but tentatively planning to give my exam on 21st may.

I am looking for directions as to how I can refine my strategy and improve my score by 3 points in quant and min 2 points in verbal, whether I should modify my plan. Would really appreciate any inputs from EmpowerRich, bunuel or BB for give tips. I have religiously been following all your responses to other gmatclubbers. Other inputs would also be welcome.

Thanks in anticipation!

From
A hopeful gmat aspirant.

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

GMAT chronicles : 670-->660--> 700--> 650--> 680-->660--> 610-->700 (main exam)-->710--740-->700 (main exam again) -->Target 740+

Never never never never NEVER give up!!

I can and I will- watch me.

Last edited by GmatBawse on 02 Aug 2017, 02:09, edited 2 times in total.

Manager
Manager
B

Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: UPDATE: Scored 700 twice, need strategy to get target score of 740 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2017, 01:53
So I have given two GMATs since my last post. I gave my first GMAT on 31st May and 25th July. Scored 700 both times. :cry: :cry:

Two days before my 1st GMAT exam, I scored 610 in my mock which completely killed my confidence.

I went ahead and booked my exam on 31st May the night before as I had taken office leave. I planned to give that exam as a mock but was very happy to see the 700 score (AWA 5.5, IR4, Q49, V37). I resolved to take a month break and aimed to improve IR and CR, RC to increase verbal to 40 score.

In the one month break a lot of things happened, first GMAT introduced the take in any order option, and I had a week travel and plenty of deliverables at work from 3rd July-17th July. I started my leave from 18th july to 25th July, with 25th July as exam date. I had reviewed SC concepts, math concepts and few CR question from 1st June to 3rd July.
[color=#0072bc]I believed that just like first exam , one week might suffice to take 3-4 mocks and revise concepts.

I started with Veritas test where I scored 660 (Q45, V36), I missed out last 4 questions in quant due to time management issues.

I took GMAT prep exam 2 (previously attempted in January 2017 when I obtained 660) and was able to score 710 (Q49, V38). I also took GMAT exam pack 5 (previously attempted in May 2017, obtained 660 again (Q47, V34). This time I scored 740 (Q49, V42).

I was aware that the score could be inflated but every question took me time to attempt and did not seem familiar.
[/color]

Before the test day, I was fairly confident about Verbal, was not confident in Quant, and decided to do medium and hard quant questions from OG. I was also very apprehensive about IR (someone told me the top mba schools might eliminate me based on my IR score) so did 20 IR questions from question pack. Didnt hve a good sleep before exam as I was pretty stressed.

Decided on doing quant first to make sure I did it well, then verbal, IR AWA. I tried to keep pace in verbal section, left questions that I couldn’t solve in 2 min, stil ended up losing time in the end and had to rush. Was pretty upset seeing 700 again with a lower percentile than before.

Issues I have identified
- Need clearer concepts in quant
- Need to strengthen my CR, RC (CR- 32 to 33 in main exam, RC 27-30)
- TIME MANAGEMENT!!
- IR

I am travelling on vacation on 12th-22nd August.

I am pretty confused whether to retake or prepare for Round 2 (most deadline in December '17 - January 2018) with my current score and focus more on essays.I am still reviewing and revising my CR and quant concepts to keep in touch with my GMAT skills. My main concern is that I have used up all GMAt prep mocks, only have 5 veritas tests left with me. I also have used manhattan mocks so unsure how to continue with my prep and improve Q49 to Q50 and verbal to at least V39.

Resources used to reach 700

1) Manhattan all quant books, SC guide (read sc at least 5 times)
2) Power score CR bible
3) For RC- Manhattan, Thursdays with Ron video for RC passages; also used Empower GMAt trial and watched RC videos--> clash of philosophy between Manhattan approach and Empower gmat approach. while I liked the analysis by EMPOWER GMAT, I found Ron's method of find the main purpose of passage pretty useful.
5) Magoosh flashcards, question pack, video lessons (flashcards esp useful if you are travelling)
6) Egmat free lessons - pretty useful
7) GMAT OG 2016
8) GMAT Prep Question pack
9) Manhattan mocks to build stamina (before 1st GMAT)
10) GMAT club tests (could never complete in given time except once- score hovered between Q42-44)- great for practice.
11) GMAT prep all mocks

Looking forward to suggestions.[/color]

experts please guide!!

GMAT chronicles : 670-->660--> 700--> 650--> 680-->660--> 610-->700 (main exam)-->710--740-->700 (main exam again) -->Target 740+

VP
VP
D

Kudos [?]: 225 [0], given: 4

GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: 339 Q170 V169
Re: UPDATE: Scored 700 twice, need strategy to get target score of 740 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Aug 2017, 04:29
GmatBawse wrote:
I believed that just like first exam , one week might suffice to take 3-4 mocks and revise concepts.

I started with Veritas test where I scored 660 (Q45, V36), I missed out last 4 questions in quant due to time management issues.

I took GMAT prep exam 2 (previously attempted in January 2017 when I obtained 660) and was able to score 710 (Q49, V38). I also took GMAT exam pack 5 (previously attempted in May 2017, obtained 660 again (Q47, V34). This time I scored 740 (Q49, V42).

I was aware that the score could be inflated but every question took me time to attempt and did not seem familiar.

Didnt hve a good sleep before exam as I was pretty stressed.

Decided on doing quant first to make sure I did it well, then verbal, IR AWA. I tried to keep pace in verbal section, left questions that I couldn’t solve in 2 min, stil ended up losing time in the end and had to rush. Was pretty upset seeing 700 again with a lower percentile than before.

I am pretty confused whether to retake or prepare for Round 2 (most deadline in December '17 - January 2018) with my current score and focus more on essays.I am still reviewing and revising my CR and quant concepts to keep in touch with my GMAT skills. My main concern is that I have used up all GMAt prep mocks, only have 5 veritas tests left with me. I also have used manhattan mocks so unsure how to continue with my prep and improve Q49 to Q50 and verbal to at least V39.
Your posts are very detailed, but some of my observations are:

1. RC needs work over time. I get the impression that you started late. Keep at it, and don't stop practicing even if you don't see "returns".

2. 3-4 practice tests in one week is overkill. One, maybe two, should be good. Remember that you need to keep your energy levels high for the main event.

3. Don't use tests you've already taken for scoring. I understand that you have very few tests remaining, but it might be a good idea to take tests purely to get the mechanical aspects of test taking right (rather than trying to check your current performance level). I say this because even with fresh non-official tests, you might want to use the score estimate as a general (not specific) indicator of your performance levels.

4. Ensure that you get enough sleep the night before the test! My putting an exclamation mark at the end isn't likely to help, but you get my point :-D

I suggest that you put most of your energy into your applications. You're likely to be suffering at least a little exam fatigue, so doing something else could actually help you improve your performance on the GMAT. And don't lose sight of the fact that you actually already have a really good score to apply with!

Kudos [?]: 225 [0], given: 4

Manager
Manager
B

Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 03 Aug 2017, 04:37
Thankyou @AjiteshArun, appreciate your inputs. I am planning to start research and maybe see if I retake in month of sept as I am still not able to get gmat out of my mind.

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum

Re: UPDATE: Scored 700 twice, need strategy to get target score of 740   [#permalink] 03 Aug 2017, 04:37

UPDATE: Scored 700 twice, need strategy to get target score of 740

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HiLine

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap