Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 11:45 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 11:45

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thanks for the reply.

When i used to give mock tests i never wrote any essays, i used to skip that part and go directly to the quant. section. Maybe that was the problem.

Any suggestions about how to increase to my verbal score.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72857 [0]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
[#permalink]
Expert Reply
shobhit_g wrote:
Thanks for the reply.

When i used to give mock tests i never wrote any essays, i used to skip that part and go directly to the quant. section. Maybe that was the problem.

Any suggestions about how to increase to my verbal score.

hey, I sort of lost track of time for a while and some messages got lost.
I just ran across your message as I was reviewing and catching up with posts. I saw you were irritated after nobody replied...
:cry: It happens... but the worst is not to ask the question at all.
GMAT is very exhausting - it is long and keeps one nervous. I was as good as dead after mine.

Anyway, I think the best use of your time is to read - to try to get used to long passages and be able to stay focused. This was my main problem - I lost any attention and did not even try to finish reading the passsages - it did nto make sense anyway, so why bother? This was my approach on several pracrtice test, but then I decided this was stupid and I had to actually READ things to answer the questions. I got a bunch of fiction. I tried reading philosophy, history, and the Bible, but that was not effective - I did not have an urge to continue reading any of these things, so instead I got some fiction. I have a list of Hard/Average books to read on this site. Check them out. I won't comment much, but Henry James can fry some brain.

Bogdan.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hi Shobjit,
You experience with the GMAT is no different from mine.
I got 650 ( 44/35). I was very confident while taking the exam, but after I was half way through the Verbal section I could not concentrate. I hit a couple of difficult CR and that ate up a lot of my time. I ended up guess the last RC (total of 5 questions).
I have decided to take the test again.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
650 is an Excellent Score [#permalink]
Guys Guys Guys!!!
650 is an excellent score!! Nothing to be ashamed of. I can say with confidence that with a 650 you will be considered for decent schools with the caveat that your other statistics (work exp, refs, etc..) are not lacking.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 969 [0]
Given Kudos: 139
Send PM
Re: Help needed Giving GMAT again [#permalink]
shobhit_g wrote:
Hi all,
I gave GMAT last month and scored a horrible 640 . I was aiming for 700+ . I did ok in quant i guess . i scored 45 in it but the verbal was horrible. Till the time i reached verbal i was so bored that i was not even reading the questions and just clicking answer and going thru it.
In verbal actually till the 9 question i was able to concentrate. I got a RC from question 6-9 and immediately after that another new RC (10 - 13) . This was the turning point and i got bored. I scored 33 on verbal.
Can anyone tell me what i should do? Also i was wondering if i was doing good in the verbal section last time i gave the GMAT. If someone gets 2 consecutive RC in the first 15 question what does it mean? Does it mean that i was doing well till then or was a complete sucker?
I used power prep, kaplan,OG and Princeton for preperation. Kaplan range was 590 - 650 and princeton was around 690 - 720.
Also any tips regarding improving verbal score would be greatly appreciated especially dealing with RC.
I am thinking of giving it again in the next 2 months. Any suggestions on how i should approach this second stint at GMAT..
Thanks in anticipation..

-SG

I feel bad for him
But anyhow, I believe if anyone comes across this post, they might benefit
First check my personal plan, it does work to get a V40, if you're focussed on test day
https://gmatclub.com/forum/beginner-to- ... s#p2313182

Given that this post was from 2003, I think GMAC was very arrogant, still is but more then, to let the test taker consider the section.
I think by now he must be in his home, having a nice time with his kids
Focus is the key
If you're focused, you got it all
How to fOCUS?
You're barking the wrong tree, I got carried away by a 5 para long passage and GMAT is shorter now, so time was of essence
I took 30 seconds off, tried to clear my mind (a lot was going on my mind because the pep talk given by my loved ones involved the words "you were never good enough for schools as a child, don't be disappointed if you don't get good marks")
Motivational, true. But since I kind of know that they were never on board with the GMAT Thing, the words found a place in my head, rent free. That would never have happened if those were the words of a stranger

After the 30 seconds off I took up the test again. This time I was comparatively more focused
Any how, losing focus is inevitable, what you need to do is make the best of what you got, remember, TIME FLIES
Stay put
Stay strong

If it does any good think of people in worse condition than you, it works for me

Know that 30 seconds off is a 5 minutes gain
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1256 [0]
Given Kudos: 402
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Have you done all OG, OG Verbal Review, and OG Quant Review questions? It will help you achieve 700+.

Btw what is you status now?

Posted from my mobile device
SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2207 [0]
Given Kudos: 1665
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GPA: 3.97
WE:Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Send PM
This post is like 16 years ago! I'm sure this guy must have achieved his MBA dream by now :D . All these years, GMAT is just so different now
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37296 posts