GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Apr 2019, 03:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

HELP! Reconsidering attending B-school last minute..

  new topic post reply Update application status  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

 
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 18 Jan 2012
Posts: 37
HELP! Reconsidering attending B-school last minute..  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jun 2017, 10:58
My lease is signed, my ticket to US has been bought, but I can't help but think:
Is an MBA at a Top 10 or Top 15 US school (like Duke Fuqua or Tuck) really worth it?
I am struggling and can't justify the cost. after 6 years of investment experience at a prestigious US investment firm and living in the northeast for 10+ years, my h1-b visa has expired and my only way to stay in the USA is to attend b school. However, given the high MBA cost and uncertainty of being an international citizen in US, I have almost entirely reconsidered my decision to attend b-school. While I earned a $50K scholarship, the remaining $130 remain, and I may well have to go back to Europe because of visa requirements upon graduation, and remain in crippling debt unless I find a company that will sponsor me for a green card right off the bat...
Additionally, some of the current students expressed disappointment with the program and regret enrolling.

I am currently in Europe and am tempted to defer by a year and simply find a job in Europe (will have to figure out everything from scratch) Cost for this 2 year MBA, which won't give me the same options US students will have, simply doesn't seem like a sound investment. (I've asked the school for financial aid twice already) I eagerly welcome your advice if you've been in a similar boat. Thanks!
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
User avatar
G
Joined: 12 Aug 2014
Posts: 2763
Re: HELP! Reconsidering attending B-school last minute..  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jul 2017, 18:43
I think you are going to want to make this decision more so based on if you think an MBA will have a valuable impact on your life and less so on whether it keeps you in the country. You really complicate the decision by looking at it any other way. If your desire is to work abroad or just need more time to think the decision through then trying to get a deferment seems like a reasonable option. But know there is no guarantee the school will agree to it or if your current scholarship offer will be waiting for you.

You have to decide what's most important to you here, it seems like you are really questioning the value of b-school at an inopportune time
_________________
Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews
Founder
Founder
User avatar
V
Joined: 04 Dec 2002
Posts: 17372
Location: United States (WA)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: HELP! Reconsidering attending B-school last minute..  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jul 2017, 22:56
Sorry I have missed your post/question - I don't think you will ever misplace a Top 10/15 MBA. The only case/situation I can see is when you will not benefit financially if you stay at home with kids and even then, you still improved your mind and bettered yourself.....

At the same time, if you are doing it just to stay in the country, then it may not be the right reason. You have to look at other options and how it compares to your alternatives as there are many paths to the same end goal (nice job/career/etc)
_________________
Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
OG2019 Directory is here!
Want to know application stats & Profiles from last year? Check the Decision Tracker

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests
GMAT Club Bot
Re: HELP! Reconsidering attending B-school last minute..   [#permalink] 05 Jul 2017, 22:56
Display posts from previous: Sort by

HELP! Reconsidering attending B-school last minute..

  new topic post reply Update application status  


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.