GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Oct 2018, 16:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Historian: The early Egyptian pharaohs spent as much wealth on largely

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Director
Director
V
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Historian: The early Egyptian pharaohs spent as much wealth on largely  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Apr 2018, 14:23
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

85% (hard)

Question Stats:

49% (01:52) correct 51% (01:45) wrong based on 167 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Historian: The early Egyptian pharaohs spent as much wealth on largely ceremonial and hugely impressive architecture as they did on roads and irrigation systems. This was not mere frivolousness, however, for if people under a pharaoh 's rule could be made to realize the extent of their ruler's mastery of the physical world, their loyalty could be maintained without military coercion.

The claim that early Egyptian expenditure on largely ceremonial architecture was not frivolous plays which one of the following roles in the historian's argument?

(A) It is a conclusion purportedly justified by the argument's appeal to the psychological effects of these structures on the Egyptian population.
(B) It is offered in support of the claim that Egyptian pharaohs spent as mucb on ceremonial architecture as they did on roads and irrigation systems.
(C) It is a premise given in support of the claim that the loyalty of people under a pharaoh 's rule was maintained over time without reliance on military force.
(D) It is offered as an illustration of the principle that social and poli tical stability do not depend ultimately on force.
(E) It is a premise used to justify the pharaohs' policy of spending scarce resources on structures that have only military utility.

Source: LSAT

Non progredi est regredi

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
Re: Historian: The early Egyptian pharaohs spent as much wealth on largely  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Apr 2018, 16:41
IMO A

Using Eliminating other option you can reach the answer

even if we don't understand the complete relation between statements we can do elimination

from the statement, we know " This was not mere frivolousness " is not a premise , its somewhat a conclusion

B: Wrong , it does not provide any support for the claim , it is just a fact

C & E : Wrong , not primise

D: Wrong : it doesn't state anything about political and social stability
Intern
Intern
B
Re: Historian: The early Egyptian pharaohs spent as much wealth on largely  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Oct 2018, 02:46
I am unable to decide how this is a premise or a conclusion. I singled out A and C. Rest all seemed illogical . But was not able to decide between the fact that this is a premise or conclusion. In my view this acts as a bridge between premise and conclusion
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V37

Show Tags

New post 14 Oct 2018, 12:09
It is definitely a conclusion.The clue is the word “Claim” in the question stem.Claims cannot be premises.Even otherwise it is quite cleat that it is the conclusion.

Posted from my mobile device
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
P

Show Tags

New post 15 Oct 2018, 03:53
anse wrote:
I am unable to decide how this is a premise or a conclusion. I singled out A and C. Rest all seemed illogical . But was not able to decide between the fact that this is a premise or conclusion. In my view this acts as a bridge between premise and conclusion

The conclusion is the author's opinion. Note that a conclusion is debatable. You can make it more likely or less likely to be true by giving more data to support or weaken it. Often, when the author is getting judgemental, it is a conclusion such as "this expenditure is frivolous (another may consider the expenditure necessary)", "this plan is not suitable (another may consider it suitable)"

Karishma
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >

GMAT self-study has never been more personalized or more fun. Try ORION Free!

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Historian: The early Egyptian pharaohs spent as much wealth on largely &nbs [#permalink] 15 Oct 2018, 03:53

Historian: The early Egyptian pharaohs spent as much wealth on largely

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap