It is currently 18 Feb 2018, 23:39

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

How can I achieve a score of 700+ in GMAT ?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
How can I achieve a score of 700+ in GMAT ? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Mar 2017, 11:51
Hi All,

Though I am a member of GMAT club since June last year, I started actively participating over last 15 days.
I am working professional who decided to give GMAT last year and thought it was very easy. I neither gave sincere efforts for my first attempt nor I had any target in my mind.But now the things are different. I have target of 700+ and 2.5 months to achieve it. Therefore,I look for support from forum to address the areas of improvement and achieve my goal.
My story so far:
First attempt :
I studied for 3 weeks (6 hours a day) primarily from OG and MGMAT Guides.I neither maintained any error log nor I kept track of my accuracy rate. I also skipped certain topics in all the guide.
I appeared for official GMAT in August 2016 and scored 450(Q 35,V 20) while my 5 mock test scores ranged from 520-600.Finally,I cancelled my official score and did not studied for next 2 months.

Second Attempt:
I attempted second test in December 2016. I studied for 1 month (6 hours per day) and emphasised more on the verbal section. I studied MGMAT guide for Quant, SC ( Chapter 1-9) and RC. For CR I used Powerscore. Considering the time constraints,I only did the core chapters from all books leaving aside the “extra and strategies” chapters at the end of these books. I practiced questions from OG, verbal and quant Review guides.My GMAT prep scores were 600 and 610 and I ended up scoring 600(Q44,V28) in official test. The accuracy ratio has been around 40-60% for all the sections.Since then,I have not studied for GMAT.

My Plan :
However,now I plan to take GMAT in mid June 2017 with 2.5 months of full time study. I target a score of 700+ and can invest 7-8 hours per day for 5 days in a week.
I gave MGMAT mock test and scored a 640 (Q42,V35).My accuracy percentage in MGMAT test was 50% in RC, 60% in SC and 71% in CR. For quant the rate is 60% for DS and 50% for PS sections. Previously for all sections my accuracy rate was in mid 40- mid 50 range.When I solve the questions subsequently I am able to solve 50% of them correctly.I understand that for my target an accuracy rate of 90% is required in all the 5 sections.

My weakness :
Feel pressured when put under time constraints.
Need to read slowly in order to understand the structure and logic. I tend to make mistakes when I read fast. My average time for solving questionin verbal section is above 2 minutes.
Particularly, in SC questions I am not able to judge what exactly the question is testing -is it pronoun, idiom etc ?. Even if I get the question I am not able to decide among the choices and most of the time I end up guessing.
I also find my stamina gives up as I reach the the mid of my verbal test.
I am really not comfortable trying different questions.

My Queries :
Which would be the right strategy for me to follow for next 2 months.
Which practice books should I refer for quant and verbal and in which order.
How to work on the accuracy rate and time pressures and pace my scores.
How to work on other weaknesses ?

Looking forward for the support !

Ank

Last edited by Ankitajain901 on 29 Mar 2017, 15:01, edited 1 time in total.
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G
Re: How can I achieve a score of 700+ in GMAT ? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Mar 2017, 14:42
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Dear Ankitajain901

I'm happy to respond. :-)

My friend, do you see the implicit paradox in what you are asking? A score of 740 is approximately in the top 4%. You want a concrete series of steps that will get you in the top 4%. If there were a set of concrete steps that anyone could do, then everyone would do it, and over 50% of the test-taking population would score in the top 4%! Similarly, it's not simply a matter of finding the best resources: if one book or website consistently got everyone over a 700, of course, everyone would use it. In fact, there are many good books and courses, and all of these contain everything one needs to know, but the limiting factor is how much different students can learn, remember, and integrate in the ways they choose to engage. The crucial question is not this resource or that--the crucial question is what you bring and how you show up.

A score of 740 on the GMAT is truly extraordinary, and to achieve this, you have to be truly extraordinary in every aspect of your studying. This has to be full-on effort for the next few months. Whatever you think your best is, you will have to top that. Whatever you think working your hardest is, you need to work harder than that. You will need to outdo yourself in every dimension.

Read here about the habits of excellence. The links go to individual blogs with more detail. You need to embody each one of those in each and every detail of your studies.

I will recommend this blog, which captures part of your experience.
Lower on the Real GMAT than on Practice Tests
Read the linked articles that discuss stress management techniques. You need to study & practice these with the same level of diligence and determination that you practice math and verbal.

You mentioned struggles in Verbal. Read the blog very carefully:
How to Improve Your GMAT Verbal Score
One way to develop skills across the entire Verbal section is to develop an assiduous habit of reading.

My friend, you can do this, but understand the commitment. You cannot cruise toward this goal. You cannot mail it in. You need to engage as if you want success with every cell of your body. You have to be all-in in a way that you have never been all-in in your life. If you can show up like that, day after day as you prepare, then you can catalyze your own success.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Verbal Forum Moderator
V
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Kelley '20, ISB '19
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 29 Mar 2017, 20:53
Ankitajain901 wrote:
Hi All,

Though I am a member of GMAT club since June last year, I started actively participating over last 15 days.
I am working professional who decided to give GMAT last year and thought it was very easy. I neither gave sincere efforts for my first attempt nor I had any target in my mind.But now the things are different. I have target of 700+ and 2.5 months to achieve it. Therefore,I look for support from forum to address the areas of improvement and achieve my goal.
My story so far:
First attempt :
I studied for 3 weeks (6 hours a day) primarily from OG and MGMAT Guides.I neither maintained any error log nor I kept track of my accuracy rate. I also skipped certain topics in all the guide.
I appeared for official GMAT in August 2016 and scored 450(Q 35,V 20) while my 5 mock test scores ranged from 520-600.Finally,I cancelled my official score and did not studied for next 2 months.

Second Attempt:
I attempted second test in December 2016. I studied for 1 month (6 hours per day) and emphasised more on the verbal section. I studied MGMAT guide for Quant, SC ( Chapter 1-9) and RC. For CR I used Powerscore. Considering the time constraints,I only did the core chapters from all books leaving aside the “extra and strategies” chapters at the end of these books. I practiced questions from OG, verbal and quant Review guides.My GMAT prep scores were 600 and 610 and I ended up scoring 600(Q44,V28) in official test. The accuracy ratio has been around 40-60% for all the sections.Since then,I have not studied for GMAT.

My Plan :
However,now I plan to take GMAT in mid June 2017 with 2.5 months of full time study. I target a score of 700+ and can invest 7-8 hours per day for 5 days in a week.
I gave MGMAT mock test and scored a 640 (Q42,V35).My accuracy percentage in MGMAT test was 50% in RC, 60% in SC and 71% in CR. For quant the rate is 60% for DS and 50% for PS sections. Previously for all sections my accuracy rate was in mid 40- mid 50 range.When I solve the questions subsequently I am able to solve 50% of them correctly.I understand that for my target an accuracy rate of 90% is required in all the 5 sections.

My weakness :
Feel pressured when put under time constraints.
Need to read slowly in order to understand the structure and logic. I tend to make mistakes when I read fast. My average time for solving questionin verbal section is above 2 minutes.
Particularly, in SC questions I am not able to judge what exactly the question is testing -is it pronoun, idiom etc ?. Even if I get the question I am not able to decide among the choices and most of the time I end up guessing.
I also find my stamina gives up as I reach the the mid of my verbal test.
I am really not comfortable trying different questions.

My Queries :
Which would be the right strategy for me to follow for next 2 months.
Which practice books should I refer for quant and verbal and in which order.
How to work on the accuracy rate and time pressures and pace my scores.
How to work on other weaknesses ?

Looking forward for the support !

Ank

Hi Ankitajain901 ,
Raising your score from 600 to 700+ will require a lot of effort , but it is possible . Also , i concur with mikemcgarry .
If you want , you can order an ESR of your last GMAT attempt to see how you did in the sub-sections .

- OG and Verbal review
- Magoosh on demand - decent ROI
- For Quant - Manhattan or Veritas prep guides are good
- GMAT Club tests are fantastic for quant practice.
-Also , solve the questions in Bunuel's signature .
- Make an error log

SC - e-GMAT and Manhattan SC - It can be improved in the least amount of time . This is the best e-GMAT module .
- CR - Powerscore , e-GMAT , MGMAT Ron's videos
-RC - MGMAT or Veritas reading strategy
- GMAT Prep exam pack 1 and 2

Hope this helps!! :)

When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. - Henry Ford
The Moment You Think About Giving Up, Think Of The Reason Why You Held On So Long
+1 Kudos if you find this post helpful

Expert Post
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
D
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 30 Mar 2017, 18:45
Hi Ankitajain901,

To start, raising a 450 to a 600 is a significant achievement, so you clearly have the capacity to learn and improve. That having been said, raising a 600 to a 700 will require a greater focus on Tactics and patterns, so you will have to make some significant adjustments to how you handle BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections. Planning to study in the same ways as before (with a book-heavy study plan) will likely not get you to your goal, so you will likely need to invest in a GMAT Course of some type (either Guided Self-Study or instructor-led). You will also need to make sure that you are taking NEW practice CATs (not CATs that you have used before) and that you take your CATs in a realistic way that matches what you'll face on Test Day. Beyond those points, I'm concerned about your plan to study 7-8 hours a day, 5 days a week. That is a LOT of study time - and you might run the risk of 'burning out' if you study in that type of volume.

1) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
2) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Re: How can I achieve a score of 700+ in GMAT ?   [#permalink] 30 Mar 2017, 18:45

How can I achieve a score of 700+ in GMAT ?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap