It is currently 20 Oct 2017, 05:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

How much theory do OG/VR/QR provide (as opposed to just questions)?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

How much theory do OG/VR/QR provide (as opposed to just questions)? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Aug 2017, 17:32
It looks like most people preparing for the GMAT will use the latest versions of the OG, VR, and QR. But that made me wonder: Are these 3 books mostly just a list of questions, or do they provide any help on how to answer the questions?

For example, if there's a gap in my education for the VR section, can I fill in the gap by reading the OG and the VR, or would I have to look to third-party sources for help on the theory itself?

Top Contributor
G

Kudos [?]: 1455 [0], given: 270

GMAT 1: 680 Q47 V34
WE: General Management (Aerospace and Defense)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: How much theory do OG/VR/QR provide (as opposed to just questions)? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Aug 2017, 17:48
Top Contributor
wholenineyards wrote:
It looks like most people preparing for the GMAT will use the latest versions of the OG, VR, and QR. But that made me wonder: Are these 3 books mostly just a list of questions, or do they provide any help on how to answer the questions?

For example, if there's a gap in my education for the VR section, can I fill in the gap by reading the OG and the VR, or would I have to look to third-party sources for help on the theory itself?

Official guides provides doesn't provide much theory. It's only collection of retired gmat questions.

Become a GMAT Club Premium member to avail lot of discounts

Kudos [?]: 1455 [0], given: 270

BSchool Forum Moderator
P

Kudos [?]: 595 [0], given: 16

Concentration: General Management, Leadership
WE: Sales (Retail)
Premium Member CAT Tests
How much theory do OG/VR/QR provide (as opposed to just questions)? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Aug 2017, 19:59
wholenineyards wrote:

Hello wholenineyards,

Welcome to GMATClub.

The OG does contain some theory(especially for math) but this only gives you
a slight idea about the question types(CR/SC/RC). But from my experience, in order
to get better at them you will have to go through the 3rd party material in order to
bridge this knowledge GAP, as it teaches you how to solve higher difficulty questions.

Almost all these 3rd party prep companies come with a free trial which you
can use in order to understand which of their methodologies work for you.
However,for practice strictly stick to questions in the OG or questions from
other official sources.

You could buy the GMATPrep bundle - which contains 4 official GMATPrep Tests
(EP1 and EP2) & about 400+ practice questions(QP1) in addition to the
2 free tests available on mba.com

Hope that helps you!

Stay hungry, Stay foolish

2017-2018 MBA Deadlines

Class of 2020: Rotman Thread | Schulich Thread
Class of 2019: Sauder Thread

Kudos [?]: 595 [0], given: 16

VP
VP
D

Kudos [?]: 225 [0], given: 4

GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: 339 Q170 V169
Re: How much theory do OG/VR/QR provide (as opposed to just questions)? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Aug 2017, 22:01
wholenineyards wrote:

Apart from a short introduction at the beginning of each section (although the math review is slightly better), the OGs don't do much in terms of theory. The explanations at the end of each section do give you a lot of insight into how the GMAT expects you to think, but that is not a very efficient way to prepare.

Profile and Official GMAT score report

Kudos [?]: 225 [0], given: 4

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 25 Aug 2017, 16:42
Ok, so it sounds like I have to look to third-party sources for theory. Any recommendations?

Expert Post
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
P
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat

Kudos [?]: 3412 [0], given: 172

GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 26 Aug 2017, 16:19
Hi wholenineyards,

It sounds like you're just starting out. Is that true? Have you done any studying so far?

If you're just beginning, then it would be a good idea to take a FULL-LENGTH practice CAT Test; you can download 2 for free from www.mba.com (and they come with some additional practice materials). If you want to do a bit of practice first, so that you can familiarize yourself with the general content and question types first, then that's fine - but you shouldn't wait too long to take that initial CAT. A FULL CAT takes about 4 hours to complete, so make sure that you've set aside enough time to take it in one sitting. Once you have those scores, you should report back here and we can come up with a study plan.

To help you to establish your own expectations, you should know that most Test Takers spend 3 months (or more) studying for the GMAT; during that time, it's common to spend 10-15 hours per week on the process.

I'd like to know a bit more about your timeline and goals:
1) What is your goal score?
2) When are you planning to take the GMAT?
3) When are you planning to apply to Business School?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Kudos [?]: 3412 [0], given: 172

Re: How much theory do OG/VR/QR provide (as opposed to just questions)?   [#permalink] 26 Aug 2017, 16:19

How much theory do OG/VR/QR provide (as opposed to just questions)?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HiLine

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap