It is currently 19 Oct 2017, 09:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

How to find the numbers of outcomes the rolls of 2 dice produce?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 26

Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT Date: 09-28-2012
WE: Accounting (Manufacturing)
How to find the numbers of outcomes the rolls of 2 dice produce? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Sep 2017, 04:10
Simplest method is 1 die has 6 outcomes and the other also has same. All in all 6*6 = 36.

However, will this be called permutation or combination - the ways in which the numbers come out?

At the best I could solve this through 6P1 * 6P1 = 6!/ (6-1)! * 6!/(6-1)!. However, I do not understand whether this is a permutation or a combination. Can someone help?

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 26

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: How to find the numbers of outcomes the rolls of 2 dice produce? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Sep 2017, 18:34
Hi ... this is permutation given arrangement of outcomes and not selection of outcomes ... secondly the formula used is also correct given throwing of two dice is an independent outcome

Sent from my SM-A500G using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Manhattan Prep Instructor
S

Kudos [?]: 239 [1], given: 56

GMAT 1: 790 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170
Re: How to find the numbers of outcomes the rolls of 2 dice produce? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Sep 2017, 17:12
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Whether something is a permutation or a combination depends on whether 'order matters'. In this case, it depends on whether you care about the order in which you roll the two dice. If you want to say that '1 on the first die, then 2 on the second' is different from '2 on the first die, then 1 on the second', then you're looking at permutations. If you want to say that those two outcomes are the same, then you're looking at combinations. There will be a smaller number of combinations than permutations.

Chelsey Cooley | Manhattan Prep Instructor | Seattle and Online

My upcoming GMAT trial classes | GMAT blog archive

Kudos [?]: 239 [1], given: 56

Re: How to find the numbers of outcomes the rolls of 2 dice produce?   [#permalink] 19 Sep 2017, 17:12

How to find the numbers of outcomes the rolls of 2 dice produce?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap