It is currently 20 Oct 2017, 11:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

how to improve verbal

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 51

CAT Tests
how to improve verbal [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Aug 2017, 22:19
sir/ma'am
I am writing GMAT at the end of this month however my mock scores are stuck around 680 to 690 (veritas prep :680,690,MGMAT:690,experts Global :680,680,650)
my verbal is at v35 to v38 and quant is hovering aroung Q46 to Q47 which i know can pull up to Q49 .
but i am scared about the verbal in my last attempt i had reached v33 in mocks but reduced v30 in actual exam

sources used :Egmat ,Veritas prep books,MGMAT ,Magoosh ,education Aisle Sentence correction Nirvana and optimus prep
random documents : 700- 800 level sc and cr

what should i do to improve my skills in SC ,CR and RC
currently for SC i am doing random sources with an accuracy of 80 to 85 percent which reduces to 75 under test condition
for CR i m practicing veritas question bank and LSAT CR and scoring 75 to 70 percent in a 25 set questions (this remains same during mock also )
for RC i am practicing daily 4 rc with an accuracy of 65 to 75 percent but the percent reduces to 60 in test conditions

what practice source should I refer to in SC specific : so as to fine tune my concepts and practice bank for the same
books etc :coaching i dont think is an option
I haven't bought an exam pack but thinking to do so : free ones i have already used up so cannot write an official mock
and what to do for RC i am practicing 4 RCs daily but i guess its somehow not working
??????? :? :?: :beatup :?

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 51

Magoosh Discount CodesEMPOWERgmat Discount CodesEconomist GMAT Tutor Discount Codes
Expert Post
Optimus Prep Instructor
B

Kudos [?]: 524 [0], given: 23

Re: how to improve verbal [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Aug 2017, 06:22
oishik2910 wrote:
sir/ma'am
I am writing GMAT at the end of this month however my mock scores are stuck around 680 to 690 (veritas prep :680,690,MGMAT:690,experts Global :680,680,650)
my verbal is at v35 to v38 and quant is hovering aroung Q46 to Q47 which i know can pull up to Q49 .
but i am scared about the verbal in my last attempt i had reached v33 in mocks but reduced v30 in actual exam

sources used :Egmat ,Veritas prep books,MGMAT ,Magoosh ,education Aisle Sentence correction Nirvana and optimus prep
random documents : 700- 800 level sc and cr

what should i do to improve my skills in SC ,CR and RC
currently for SC i am doing random sources with an accuracy of 80 to 85 percent which reduces to 75 under test condition
for CR i m practicing veritas question bank and LSAT CR and scoring 75 to 70 percent in a 25 set questions (this remains same during mock also )
for RC i am practicing daily 4 rc with an accuracy of 65 to 75 percent but the percent reduces to 60 in test conditions

what practice source should I refer to in SC specific : so as to fine tune my concepts and practice bank for the same
books etc :coaching i dont think is an option
I haven't bought an exam pack but thinking to do so : free ones i have already used up so cannot write an official mock
and what to do for RC i am practicing 4 RCs daily but i guess its somehow not working
??????? :? :?: :beatup :?

Hi oishik2910,

Try to drill down into each problem type to ace them.

SC: The questions test various concepts such as S-V agreement, modifiers, parallelism etc. Find out what troubles you. As a general guide line, you can start solving a question by taking the following things in consideration:

1. Find out the subject and the verb
2. See that the S&V agree in number
3. Look out for the modifiers
4. Look out for parallelism
5. Look out for usage of certain words - such as vs like, few vs less etc.

CR: There might be certain types of questions that are troubling you. May be Assumption, may be conclusion, inference etc.
You need to find that out and then practice them
RC: This again can be drilled down into different types of questions and also different topics. See what questions and topics trouble you the most and then practice accordingly.
Quants: Again try to break the questions in topics such as Algebra, Number system (very important), Geometry, PnC etc.

As an addition, start preparing an error log and keep a note of all the mistakes you made and the lessons you learnt from the problems. This will ensure you do not make the same mistake again.

Janielle Williams

Customer Support

Special Offer: $80-100/hr. Online Private Tutoring
GMAT On Demand Course $299
Free Online Trial Hour

Kudos [?]: 524 [0], given: 23

Re: how to improve verbal   [#permalink] 08 Aug 2017, 06:22

how to improve verbal

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap