It is currently 11 Dec 2017, 02:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

How to prepare for GMAT with budget issues.

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 3 [1], given: 42

Concentration: General Management
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.92
Premium Member CAT Tests
How to prepare for GMAT with budget issues. [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Sep 2017, 09:17
This post received
KUDOS
Hi guys,

How u'll doing?

This post is for those who are just starting to prepare for the GMAT and have budget issues and can't spend much on the online paid resources available.

Some suggestions regarding materials and strategies that i found really useful.

Let's start.

First something about me.

I took the GMAT last month and scored 730 (Q 50, V40). I am preparing to take it again in another 3 weeks (target 780)

So now let's start.

1. I am sure you have heard this a lot. Start by solving the OG and the verbal review and the quantitative review.

But do not I repeat do not solve the questions from the book. Register your book on http://www.gmat.wiley.com and use their online interface to solve questions in much the same way as it would appear on test. This will help you do two things.

a) It will help you get familiarized with time constraints, the overall gmat structure and all those things.

b) You can actually segregate questions in level of difficulty which you cannot do while solving questions from the book.

2. Analyze each and every question of the OG, correct as well as incorrect. Note down the topics that you face difficulty in solving. Maintain an error log.

3. After you are done with OG, take a GMAT prep test, do not take one before solving the OG, since there are only two official tests. OFcourse if you can afford you can purchase additional tests but my guide is for people who have budget issues.

4. Again analyze the test, maintain error log for the same.

5. Now comes the time when you decide how to move forward. Look at your score. Analyze which part you need to improve the most. Lets look at the quant and verbal sections individually.

a) Quant: IF you have issues with some particular topic like geometry, algebra etc, try addressing those issues first, revisit those concepts, familiarize yourself with questions of those topics. If you have time management issues i will recommend dividing your 37 questions into set of 5 questions each with 10 minutes for the set. So after every 5 questions check the time, if its more than 10 minutes, just skip any question from the next set that you find difficult to solve. Don't take much time to decide which question to skip. Additionally don't take much time to decide which option to choose as well. Before you enter the examination hall just choose your lucky option. Pick the same option for all your guess questions. Saves important time believe me. Every second counts.

Be very active and helpful on gmatclub. Earn enough kudos/points to redeem gmatclub tests. The gmatclub quant tests are excellent source to stretch your score from 49 to 51.

b) Verbal: For verbal recognize the section that you find to be the most difficult.

Sentence Correction : Ah!! I face the most trouble while i solve this kind of questions. My low score in verbal is mainly due to this topic. I will just share one tip that i found to be really useful to me. Do not directly jump into rules and s v agreement and all that while you solve the question, read the question and understand the intended meaning of the question. This will really help you weed out options that you would otherwise unable to do.

Critical Reasoning: Write down the conclusion in a few words. Simplify the premise and the conclusion. you will find that this will really help you with 700 level and above questions.

Reading Comprehension: Reading Comprehension was something that came very natural to me. I will suggest you draw map (kind of like a flow diagram) for each and every essay. After a while you will get the hang of it. It will really help with the inference questions.

As for more questions to practice, for verbal section do not practice any question outside of the offical gmat material. They are not of the same quality and are not just worth it. After OG and verbal review questions, practice retired gmat questions that i think you can easily find in this forum. These will be enough. There is no need to solve more and more questions, just analyze your questions properly and that will be enough for a great score on the verbal section.

For time management issues in verbal. I will suggest the same as quant. Divide your 41 questions in sets of 5 each. Give 9 minutes to each set and follow the similar strategy as mentioned for quant.

6. 2 weeks before your exam, give your 2nd official gmat prep test. Analyze your score, if you are too far away from your target, reschedule your exam.

7. Reset the gmat prep tests and give both the tests again in succession(Since your score must have improved, you will find that most of the questions will be different).

8. After you are done with the tests, try to solve all the questions available in the gmatprep software for additional practice, the questions that didn't appear on your exam.

9. Reserve your last week to go through your error log. Go through each and every question of your error log and solve them again. Will really help boost your confidence.

10. Don't study much on the day before your exam. Relax

11. During your day of your exam. Don't worry that much. Just relax and go with the flow(Keep a target in mind, you only have 2 minutes in the exam to decide if you wish to cancel your score or keep it, if you dont reach that score. I had a target of 780 in mind and as i didn't reach the target, i cancelled my score instantly).

I really hope that this helps some or the other person like myself facing similar issues.

If you need any additional help you can pm me. I will be happy to reply.

Pardon my english. I am not a native speaker.

If you find my post useful, please dont hesitate to press the kudos button.

Thanks.

The thing about privilege is.. you often don't recognize your own !!!

Kudos [?]: 3 [1], given: 42

1 KUDOS received
Study Buddy Forum Moderator
G

Kudos [?]: 98 [1], given: 256

WE: Engineering (Other)
Premium Member CAT Tests
How to prepare for GMAT with budget issues. [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Sep 2017, 09:31
This post received
KUDOS
cubs

Amazing post!

With noble souls such as you around to help fellow community members, it shall not
be too far for others to reach your dream score.

Quote:
Register your book on http://www.gmat.wiley.com

Is it possible to share the code from OG paperback books on different PC.
I believe QP/ EP can be shared on 3 PCs.

Thanks once again for your two cents on efficient prep.
Do share your final debrief with improvement strategies too.

Press kudos if you liked this post

Kudos [?]: 98 [1], given: 256

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 42

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: How to prepare for GMAT with budget issues. [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Sep 2017, 10:05
adkikani wrote:
cubs

Amazing post!

With noble souls such as you around to help fellow community members, it shall not
be too far for others to reach your dream score.

Quote:
Register your book on http://www.gmat.wiley.com

Is it possible to share the code from OG paperback books on different PC.
I believe QP/ EP can be shared on 3 PCs.

Thanks once again for your two cents on efficient prep.
Do share your final debrief with improvement strategies too.

I dont think they ask for codes when you register your book.
They will ask for specific questions from inside the book.
For ex. what was the last word on the 4th section.
So i guess you can register on multiple pcs with the same book.

Be sure to match the edition you purchased to the edition you are registering on the website. Otherwise the questions you answer will prove wrong.

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 73 [1], given: 419

GMAT 1: 620 Q44 V32
GMAT 2: 600 Q48 V25
GMAT 3: 660 Q42 V39
GPA: 3.48
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 30 Sep 2017, 14:02
This post received
KUDOS
Thank you very much for the advice.
It is really helpful.
I am going to take the GMAT again very soon, i hope i could repeat my performance in practice and will see what i can do keeping your advice in my mind.

Kudos [?]: 73 [1], given: 419

Manager
Manager
S

Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 01 Oct 2017, 10:21
For people looking for official questions to solve, this post will help you out.
Amazing collection and also someone has posted the error log.
For verbal i think no need to solve anything else. These questions and OG will suffice.
https://gmatclub.com/forum/the-most-com ... 40375.html

1 KUDOS received
BSchool Thread Master
G

Kudos [?]: 52 [1], given: 7

Concentration: Operations
Schools: Broad '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3
WE: Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 01 Oct 2017, 15:31
This post received
KUDOS
I used an older edition kaplan book to gain access to their online tests, cost me maybe 15 bucks on amazon to get the book and 6 CATs. Great deal as an accessory.

I also used a year prior edition of the OG and didn't notice any difference. Another great way to save money without sacrificing much, if anything.

Kudos [?]: 52 [1], given: 7

Manager
Manager
S

Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 02 Oct 2017, 09:43
cxa0897 wrote:
I used an older edition kaplan book to gain access to their online tests, cost me maybe 15 bucks on amazon to get the book and 6 CATs. Great deal as an accessory.

I also used a year prior edition of the OG and didn't notice any difference. Another great way to save money without sacrificing much, if anything.

Yes i also used a passed down copy of OG. I dont think edition makes much difference. As long as one solves and analyze each and every question, one should be fine.

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Founder
Founder
D

Kudos [?]: 29337 [1], given: 5290

GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 02 Oct 2017, 12:19
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Some other thoughts/ideas but pretty dated: https://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-prep-on ... 82151.html

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... or use our Daily Study Plan

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Kudos [?]: 29337 [1], given: 5290

Intern
Intern
B
Affiliations:

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

GMAT 1: 670 Q46 V35
GMAT 2: 640 Q46 V31

Show Tags

New post 09 Oct 2017, 18:19
my friend hit 750 just w/ the "Total GMAT Math" book if that helps! Supre comprehensive she said covered all concepts without resorting to tricks

and of course gmatclub tests worth their weight in gold :)

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Re: How to prepare for GMAT with budget issues.   [#permalink] 09 Oct 2017, 18:19

How to prepare for GMAT with budget issues.

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
HOT DEALS FOR NOVEMBER
Economist GMAT - Free Free 1-week trial + Free Test
Kaplan Courses - Save $475 $225 Discount + $250 Bonus
Target Test Prep - $800 $50 Discount + $750 Bonus [GMAT Club
Tests and Premium MBA Bundle]
EMPOWERgmat - $99/mo GMAT Club tests included 2nd month
GMAT Club Tests - Free Included with every course purchase
of $149 or more - Full List is here

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap