GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Apr 2019, 06:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

If each student gets at least one pencil in the exam hall, w

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

 
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 10 Jul 2013
Posts: 312
If each student gets at least one pencil in the exam hall, w  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Aug 2013, 14:10
3
2
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  65% (hard)

Question Stats:

53% (01:17) correct 47% (00:59) wrong based on 241 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

If each student gets at least one pencil in the exam hall, what is the probability that a student gets exactly one pencil in the exam hall?

(1) 110 students are expected to get at least one pencil.
(2) 60 students are expected to get at least two pencils.

st1 implies there are 110 students in the exam hall and everyone of them will get exactly one pencil.
but its not sufficient.
st2 tells, 60 students are expected to get at least two pencils. this not sufficient alone.
Now from both statements,
110 = exactly one + more than one
or 110 = exactly one + 60
or, exactly one = 50 .
so the probability of getting exactly one = 50/110 = 5/11 ,
so Answer (C)

_________________
Asif vai.....
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 16 Jun 2010
Posts: 18
Re: if each student gets at least one pencil in the exam hall  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2013, 20:05
3
x: Number of students get at least 1 pencil
a: Number of students get exactly 1 pencil
b: Number of students get more than 1 pencil
x= a + b

to find the probability that a student gets exactly one pencil, we need to know the number of student get exactly 1 pencil and the number of student get at least 1 pencil.
1. 110 students are expected to get at least one pencil: x=a + b = 110 --> insufficient

2. 60 students are expected to get at least two pencils or the number of student get more than 1 pencil b = 60 --> insufficient.

(1) + (2): we have: x = a + b = 110 and b = 60 => a=50

The probability that a student gets exactly 1 pencil is: 50/110 = 5/11 --> sufficient

The answer is C



1.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Status: Preparation
Joined: 03 Apr 2012
Posts: 6
Location: India
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 2.9
Re: if each student gets at least one pencil in the exam hall  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Aug 2013, 01:12
1
Asifpirlo wrote:
if each student gets at least one pencil in the exam hall, what is the probability that a student gets exactly one pencil in the exam hall?
(1) 110 students are expected to get at least one pencil
(2) 60 students are expected to get at least two pencils

st1 implies there are 110 students in the exam hall and everyone of them will get exactly one pencil.
but its not sufficient.
st2 tells, 60 students are expected to get at least two pencils. this not sufficient alone.
Now from both statements,
110 = exactly one + more than one
or 110 = exactly one + 60
or, exactly one = 50 .
so the probability of getting exactly one = 50/110 = 5/11 ,
so Answer (C)


Each student gets one pencil . and 110 students got one pencil. There are 110 students in the exam hall.

Statement A:- 110 students gets atleast one pencil in the exam hall. With this we can only get the number of students in the exam hall.But not the number of students who got exactly one pencil. So A and D are out

Statement B:- 60 students are expected to get atleast two pencils in the exam hall. With this statement ALONE we will not be able to get the number of students who got exactly two pencils in the exam hall. So B is out.

Both statements combined. we get that 110 students get atleast one pencil. and 60 students get atleast two pencils. Refer to the diagram below

Attachment:
set.jpg
set.jpg [ 17.47 KiB | Viewed 2572 times ]


So the number of students who got exactly one pencil is the middle portion. ie 110 - 60 = 50. So the answer is C
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 10 Jul 2013
Posts: 312
Re: if each student gets at least one pencil in the exam hall  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Aug 2013, 12:25
thutran wrote:
x: Number of students get at least 1 pencil
a: Number of students get exactly 1 pencil
b: Number of students get more than 1 pencil
x= a + b

to find the probability that a student gets exactly one pencil, we need to know the number of student get exactly 1 pencil and the number of student get at least 1 pencil.
1. 110 students are expected to get at least one pencil: x=a + b = 110 --> insufficient

2. 60 students are expected to get at least two pencils or the number of student get more than 1 pencil b = 60 --> insufficient.

(1) + (2): we have: x = a + b = 110 and b = 60 => a=50

The probability that a student gets exactly 1 pencil is: 50/110 = 5/11 --> sufficient

The answer is C



1.


yes......... pretty good work .............
really good work :)
_________________
Asif vai.....
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 10 Jul 2013
Posts: 312
Re: if each student gets at least one pencil in the exam hall  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Aug 2013, 12:26
clearwater wrote:
Asifpirlo wrote:
if each student gets at least one pencil in the exam hall, what is the probability that a student gets exactly one pencil in the exam hall?
(1) 110 students are expected to get at least one pencil
(2) 60 students are expected to get at least two pencils

st1 implies there are 110 students in the exam hall and everyone of them will get exactly one pencil.
but its not sufficient.
st2 tells, 60 students are expected to get at least two pencils. this not sufficient alone.
Now from both statements,
110 = exactly one + more than one
or 110 = exactly one + 60
or, exactly one = 50 .
so the probability of getting exactly one = 50/110 = 5/11 ,
so Answer (C)


Each student gets one pencil . and 110 students got one pencil. There are 110 students in the exam hall.

Statement A:- 110 students gets atleast one pencil in the exam hall. With this we can only get the number of students in the exam hall.But not the number of students who got exactly one pencil. So A and D are out

Statement B:- 60 students are expected to get atleast two pencils in the exam hall. With this statement ALONE we will not be able to get the number of students who got exactly two pencils in the exam hall. So B is out.

Both statements combined. we get that 110 students get atleast one pencil. and 60 students get atleast two pencils. Refer to the diagram below

Attachment:
set.jpg


So the number of students who got exactly one pencil is the middle portion. ie 110 - 60 = 50. So the answer is C


yes......... pretty good work .............
really good work :) especially the diagram
_________________
Asif vai.....
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Status: 1,750 Q's attempted and counting
Affiliations: University of Florida
Joined: 09 Jul 2013
Posts: 492
Location: United States (FL)
Schools: UFL (A)
GMAT 1: 600 Q45 V29
GMAT 2: 590 Q35 V35
GMAT 3: 570 Q42 V28
GMAT 4: 610 Q44 V30
GPA: 3.45
WE: Accounting (Accounting)
Re: if each student gets at least one pencil in the exam hall  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Aug 2013, 23:56
how does the fact that there may be other students that have three or more pencils effect the probability? Seems that more information is needed, thus E seems appropriate.
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 54367
Re: if each student gets at least one pencil in the exam hall  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Sep 2013, 05:34
3
1
avohden wrote:
how does the fact that there may be other students that have three or more pencils effect the probability? Seems that more information is needed, thus E seems appropriate.


The point is that we only need the total # of students and the # of students with exactly one pencil to get the probability.

If each student gets at least one pencil in the exam hall, what is the probability that a student gets exactly one pencil in the exam hall?

(1) 110 students are expected to get at least one pencil. Stem says that each student gets at least one pencil, thus there are total of 110 students. We don't know how many students get exactly one pencil. Not sufficient.

(2) 60 students are expected to get at least two pencils. Not sufficient.

(1)+(2) 110 students get at least one pencil (1 or more) and 60 students get at least two pencils (2 or more), thus 110-60=50 get exactly one pencil (50 get exactly one pencil + 60 get 2 or more = 110 students get 1 or more). Therefore the probability is 50/110. Sufficient.

Answer: C.

Hope it's clear.
_________________
Non-Human User
User avatar
Joined: 09 Sep 2013
Posts: 10542
Re: If each student gets at least one pencil in the exam hall, w  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2017, 07:40
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
_________________
GMAT Club Bot
Re: If each student gets at least one pencil in the exam hall, w   [#permalink] 29 Jul 2017, 07:40
Display posts from previous: Sort by

If each student gets at least one pencil in the exam hall, w

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.