GMAT Changed on April 16th - Read about the latest changes here

It is currently 25 Apr 2018, 15:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

If four fair dice are thrown simultaneously, what is the probability

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

2 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
User avatar
S
Joined: 18 Sep 2014
Posts: 1183
Location: India
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
If four fair dice are thrown simultaneously, what is the probability [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 20 Jun 2015, 03:33
2
This post received
KUDOS
7
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  55% (hard)

Question Stats:

68% (01:19) correct 32% (01:25) wrong based on 185 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

If four fair dice are thrown simultaneously, what is the probability of getting at least one pair?

(A) 1/6
(B) 5/18
(C) 1/2
(D) 2/3
(E) 13/18

[Reveal] Spoiler:
One way to solve it is by considering the opposite - That on throwing the dice 4 times, you never get a pair.

In this case, the probability of what happens on the first throw does not matter. But the probability of getting a different number on the second, third and fourth throw are \(\frac{5}{6}, \frac{4}{6} and \frac{3}{6}\) respectively.

So on multiplying we get \(\frac{6}{6}*\frac{5}{6}*\frac{4}{6}*\frac{3}{6} = \frac{5}{18}\)

On subtracting it from 1, we get \(1-(\frac{5}{18}) = \frac{13}{18}\)

Therefore E. \(\frac{13}{18}\) is the correct answer

But, I wonder, Why cant we solve by the following approach?

total possible outcomes for dice 6*6*6*6 or \(6^4\)
considering the opposite outcomes or possible pairs =\(6C4=6C2=15\)

Thus, P(at least one pair)=1-\(\frac{15}{6^4}\)
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

_________________

The only time you can lose is when you give up. Try hard and you will suceed.
Thanks = Kudos. Kudos are appreciated

http://gmatclub.com/forum/rules-for-posting-in-verbal-gmat-forum-134642.html
When you post a question Pls. Provide its source & TAG your questions
Avoid posting from unreliable sources.


My posts
http://gmatclub.com/forum/beauty-of-coordinate-geometry-213760.html#p1649924
http://gmatclub.com/forum/calling-all-march-april-gmat-takers-who-want-to-cross-213154.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/possessive-pronouns-200496.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/double-negatives-206717.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-greatest-integer-function-223595.html#p1721773
https://gmatclub.com/forum/improve-reading-habit-233410.html#p1802265


Originally posted by Nevernevergiveup on 20 Jun 2015, 03:08.
Last edited by Bunuel on 20 Jun 2015, 03:33, edited 1 time in total.
Renamed the topic and edited the question.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
User avatar
P
Joined: 08 Jul 2010
Posts: 2068
Location: India
GMAT: INSIGHT
WE: Education (Education)
Reviews Badge
Re: If four fair dice are thrown simultaneously, what is the probability [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jun 2015, 03:21
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Mechmeera wrote:
If four fair dice are thrown simultaneously, what is the probability of getting at
least one pair?
\((A) \frac{1}{6}
(B) \frac{5}{18}
(C)\frac{1}{2}
(D) \frac{2}{3}
(E) \frac{13}{18}\)

One way to solve it is by considering the opposite - That on throwing the dice 4 times, you never get a pair.

In this case, the probability of what happens on the first throw does not matter. But the probability of getting a different number on the second, third and fourth throw are \(\frac{5}{6}, \frac{4}{6} and \frac{3}{6}\) respectively.

So on multiplying we get \(\frac{6}{6}*\frac{5}{6}*\frac{4}{6}*\frac{3}{6} = \frac{5}{18}\)

On subtracting it from 1, we get \(1-(\frac{5}{18}) = \frac{13}{18}\)

Therefore E. \(\frac{13}{18}\) is the correct answer

But, I wonder, Why cant we solve by the following approach?

total possible outcomes for dice 6*6*6*6 or \(6^4\)
considering the opposite outcomes or possible pairs =\(6C4=6C2=15\)

Thus, P(at least one pair)=1-\(\frac{15}{6^4}\)



Hi Mechmeera,

You must Understand that the method of calculating total Outcomes = \(6^4\) includes arrangements of those outcomes on 4 dice

But \(6C4=6C2=15\) does NOT include arrangements of outcomes on 4 dice

Arrangement of 4 different outcomes (calculated by 6C4) on 4 dice can be calculated by = 4*3*2*1 = 4!

so favorable outcomes in this case should be calculated as = \(6C4 * 4!=15 * 24 = 360\)

Probability = Favorable Outcomes / Total Coutcomes

OR Probability = 1- (Unfavorable Outocmes / Total Outcomes

i.e. Probability = \(1- (360/6^4)\) = \(1- 5/18 = 13/18\)

I hope it clears your doubt! :)
_________________

Prosper!!!
GMATinsight
Bhoopendra Singh and Dr.Sushma Jha
e-mail: info@GMATinsight.com I Call us : +91-9999687183 / 9891333772
Online One-on-One Skype based classes and Classroom Coaching in South and West Delhi
http://www.GMATinsight.com/testimonials.html

22 ONLINE FREE (FULL LENGTH) GMAT CAT (PRACTICE TESTS) LINK COLLECTION

Retired Moderator
User avatar
S
Joined: 18 Sep 2014
Posts: 1183
Location: India
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: If four fair dice are thrown simultaneously, what is the probability [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jun 2015, 03:31
GMATinsight wrote:
Mechmeera wrote:
If four fair dice are thrown simultaneously, what is the probability of getting at
least one pair?
\((A) \frac{1}{6}
(B) \frac{5}{18}
(C)\frac{1}{2}
(D) \frac{2}{3}
(E) \frac{13}{18}\)

One way to solve it is by considering the opposite - That on throwing the dice 4 times, you never get a pair.

In this case, the probability of what happens on the first throw does not matter. But the probability of getting a different number on the second, third and fourth throw are \(\frac{5}{6}, \frac{4}{6} and \frac{3}{6}\) respectively.

So on multiplying we get \(\frac{6}{6}*\frac{5}{6}*\frac{4}{6}*\frac{3}{6} = \frac{5}{18}\)

On subtracting it from 1, we get \(1-(\frac{5}{18}) = \frac{13}{18}\)

Therefore E. \(\frac{13}{18}\) is the correct answer

But, I wonder, Why cant we solve by the following approach?

total possible outcomes for dice 6*6*6*6 or \(6^4\)
considering the opposite outcomes or possible pairs =\(6C4=6C2=15\)

Thus, P(at least one pair)=1-\(\frac{15}{6^4}\)



Hi Mechmeera,

You must Understand that the method of calculating total Outcomes = \(6^4\) includes arrangements of those outcomes on 4 dice

But \(6C4=6C2=15\) does NOT include arrangements of outcomes on 4 dice

Arrangement of 4 different outcomes (calculated by 6C4) on 4 dice can be calculated by = 4*3*2*1 = 4!

so favorable outcomes in this case should be calculated as = \(6C4 * 4!=15 * 24 = 360\)

Probability = Favorable Outcomes / Total Coutcomes

OR Probability = 1- (Unfavorable Outocmes / Total Outcomes

i.e. Probability = \(1- (360/6^4)\) = \(1- 5/18 = 13/18\)

I hope it clears your doubt! :)


Thank you very much for clearing out the confusion GMATinsight
_________________

The only time you can lose is when you give up. Try hard and you will suceed.
Thanks = Kudos. Kudos are appreciated

http://gmatclub.com/forum/rules-for-posting-in-verbal-gmat-forum-134642.html
When you post a question Pls. Provide its source & TAG your questions
Avoid posting from unreliable sources.


My posts
http://gmatclub.com/forum/beauty-of-coordinate-geometry-213760.html#p1649924
http://gmatclub.com/forum/calling-all-march-april-gmat-takers-who-want-to-cross-213154.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/possessive-pronouns-200496.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/double-negatives-206717.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-greatest-integer-function-223595.html#p1721773
https://gmatclub.com/forum/improve-reading-habit-233410.html#p1802265

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
User avatar
P
Joined: 08 Jul 2010
Posts: 2068
Location: India
GMAT: INSIGHT
WE: Education (Education)
Reviews Badge
Re: If four fair dice are thrown simultaneously [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jun 2015, 03:33
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Mechmeera wrote:
GMATinsight wrote:
Mechmeera wrote:
If four fair dice are thrown simultaneously, what is the probability of getting at
least one pair?
\((A) \frac{1}{6}
(B) \frac{5}{18}
(C)\frac{1}{2}
(D) \frac{2}{3}
(E) \frac{13}{18}\)

One way to solve it is by considering the opposite - That on throwing the dice 4 times, you never get a pair.

In this case, the probability of what happens on the first throw does not matter. But the probability of getting a different number on the second, third and fourth throw are \(\frac{5}{6}, \frac{4}{6} and \frac{3}{6}\) respectively.

So on multiplying we get \(\frac{6}{6}*\frac{5}{6}*\frac{4}{6}*\frac{3}{6} = \frac{5}{18}\)

On subtracting it from 1, we get \(1-(\frac{5}{18}) = \frac{13}{18}\)

Therefore E. \(\frac{13}{18}\) is the correct answer

But, I wonder, Why cant we solve by the following approach?

total possible outcomes for dice 6*6*6*6 or \(6^4\)
considering the opposite outcomes or possible pairs =\(6C4=6C2=15\)

Thus, P(at least one pair)=1-\(\frac{15}{6^4}\)



Hi Mechmeera,

You must Understand that the method of calculating total Outcomes = \(6^4\) includes arrangements of those outcomes on 4 dice

But \(6C4=6C2=15\) does NOT include arrangements of outcomes on 4 dice

Arrangement of 4 different outcomes (calculated by 6C4) on 4 dice can be calculated by = 4*3*2*1 = 4!

so favorable outcomes in this case should be calculated as = \(6C4 * 4!=15 * 24 = 360\)

Probability = Favorable Outcomes / Total Coutcomes

OR Probability = 1- (Unfavorable Outocmes / Total Outcomes

i.e. Probability = \(1- (360/6^4)\) = \(1- 5/18 = 13/18\)

I hope it clears your doubt! :)


Thank you very much for clearing out the confusion GMATinsight


The tradition of extending "Thank" on GMAT CLUB is pressing the +1KUDOS button :wink: :P

Cheer!
_________________

Prosper!!!
GMATinsight
Bhoopendra Singh and Dr.Sushma Jha
e-mail: info@GMATinsight.com I Call us : +91-9999687183 / 9891333772
Online One-on-One Skype based classes and Classroom Coaching in South and West Delhi
http://www.GMATinsight.com/testimonials.html

22 ONLINE FREE (FULL LENGTH) GMAT CAT (PRACTICE TESTS) LINK COLLECTION

Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
User avatar
D
Status: GMAT Assassin/Co-Founder
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Joined: 19 Dec 2014
Posts: 11513
Location: United States (CA)
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170
Re: If four fair dice are thrown simultaneously, what is the probability [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jun 2015, 18:04
3
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
4
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hi Mechmeera,

In these types of probability questions, it's often easier to calculate what we DON'T WANT to have happen. We can then subtract that fraction from 1 to get the probability of what we DO want to have happen.

Here, we're going to throw 4 (6-sided) dice. We're asked for the probability of throwing AT LEAST one pair of matching numbers.

Since it's actually easier to calculate how to throw 0 pairs of matching numbers (and then subtract that fraction from 1), I'll approach the question that way...

1st roll = any number = 6/6
2nd roll = not a match to the first = 5/6
3rd roll = not a match to the 1st or 2nd = 4/6
4th roll = not a match to the 1st or 2nd or 3rd = 3/6

(6/6)(5/6)(4/6)(3/6) =
(1)(5/6)(2/3)(1/2) =
10/36

10/36 is the probability of rolling 0 matching numbers, so...

1 - 10/36 = 26/36 = the probability of rolling at least one matching pair of numbers

26/36 = 13/18

Final Answer:
[Reveal] Spoiler:
E


GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
_________________

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Manager
Manager
User avatar
B
Joined: 16 Mar 2016
Posts: 131
Location: France
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V33
GPA: 3.25
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: If four fair dice are thrown simultaneously, what is the probability [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Oct 2016, 02:20
Proba (at least one pair) = 1 - Proba (no pair)

Proba (no pair) = \(\frac{6}{6}*\frac{5}{6}*\frac{4}{6}*\frac{3}{6} = \frac{10}{36}\)

So, Proba (at least one pair) = 1 - Proba (no pair) = \(1 - \frac{10}{36} = \frac{26}{36} = \frac{13}{18}\)
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 23 Jun 2014
Posts: 2
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: If four fair dice are thrown simultaneously, what is the probability [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Nov 2016, 07:26
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi Mechmeera,

In these types of probability questions, it's often easier to calculate what we DON'T WANT to have happen. We can then subtract that fraction from 1 to get the probability of what we DO want to have happen.

Here, we're going to throw 4 (6-sided) dice. We're asked for the probability of throwing AT LEAST one pair of matching numbers.

Since it's actually easier to calculate how to throw 0 pairs of matching numbers (and then subtract that fraction from 1), I'll approach the question that way...

1st roll = any number = 6/6
2nd roll = not a match to the first = 5/6
3rd roll = not a match to the 1st or 2nd = 4/6
4th roll = not a match to the 1st or 2nd or 3rd = 3/6

(6/6)(5/6)(4/6)(3/6) =
(1)(5/6)(2/3)(1/2) =
10/36

10/36 is the probability of rolling 0 matching numbers, so...

1 - 10/36 = 26/36 = the probability of rolling at least one matching pair of numbers

26/36 = 13/18

Final Answer:
[Reveal] Spoiler:
E


GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich



Hi Richard,

Im still confused on how the 3 iteration yields a probability of (4/6) should it not be (5/6) and the 4th iteration yield another (5/6)

Best Regards,
Nik
Intern
Intern
User avatar
S
Status: I am not giving up. Not yet.
Joined: 23 Jul 2015
Posts: 46
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: If four fair dice are thrown simultaneously, what is the probability [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Nov 2016, 11:23
nikroshania1989 wrote:
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi Mechmeera,

In these types of probability questions, it's often easier to calculate what we DON'T WANT to have happen. We can then subtract that fraction from 1 to get the probability of what we DO want to have happen.

Here, we're going to throw 4 (6-sided) dice. We're asked for the probability of throwing AT LEAST one pair of matching numbers.

Since it's actually easier to calculate how to throw 0 pairs of matching numbers (and then subtract that fraction from 1), I'll approach the question that way...

1st roll = any number = 6/6
2nd roll = not a match to the first = 5/6
3rd roll = not a match to the 1st or 2nd = 4/6
4th roll = not a match to the 1st or 2nd or 3rd = 3/6

(6/6)(5/6)(4/6)(3/6) =
(1)(5/6)(2/3)(1/2) =
10/36

10/36 is the probability of rolling 0 matching numbers, so...

1 - 10/36 = 26/36 = the probability of rolling at least one matching pair of numbers

26/36 = 13/18

Final Answer:
[Reveal] Spoiler:
E


GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich



Hi Richard,

Im still confused on how the 3 iteration yields a probability of (4/6) should it not be (5/6) and the 4th iteration yield another (5/6)

Best Regards,
Nik



P(at least one pair)=1-P(No pair)
so to calculate p(No pair)
Dice 1- 6/6----a
Dice 2- 5/6 (we got to exclude the number that has come on the face of Dice 1)------b
Dice 3- 4/6 (we got to exclude the number that has come on the face of Dice 1 and on Dice 2; Remember, we don't want a pair)-----c
Dice 4-3/6 (we got to exclude the number that has come on the face of Dice 1, Dice 2 and Dice 3; Remember, we don't want a pair)----d
p(No pair)=(a*b*c*d)=6/6*5/6*4/6*3/6=5/18
P(at least one pair)=1-P(No pair)=>1-(a*b*c*d)=1-5/18=13/18.

+1 Kudos is your appreciation.
_________________

Cheers
PeeKay

Expert Post
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
User avatar
D
Status: GMAT Assassin/Co-Founder
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Joined: 19 Dec 2014
Posts: 11513
Location: United States (CA)
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170
Re: If four fair dice are thrown simultaneously, what is the probability [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Nov 2016, 12:04
Hi Nik,

When you roll multiple dice, as you roll each die, you have to consider how the result will impact the overall calculation. In my explanation, I'm calculating the probability that NONE of the dice will match one another.

The first die can be ANY of the 6 values. Once we've rolled that first die though, there are only 5 possibilities that don't match, so the probability is 5/6. Assuming that the second die does not match the first, we have two numbers that we're trying to 'avoid.' The third die would then have just 4 possibilities that don't match, so the probability is 4/6. Again, assuming that the third die does not match either of the first two, then we have three numbers to 'avoid.' With the 4th die, we only have 3 possibilities that don't match, so the probability is 3/6.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
_________________

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Expert Post
Top Contributor
SVP
SVP
User avatar
P
Joined: 12 Sep 2015
Posts: 2318
Location: Canada
Re: If four fair dice are thrown simultaneously, what is the probability [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Apr 2018, 13:34
Expert's post
Top Contributor
Nevernevergiveup wrote:
If four fair dice are thrown simultaneously, what is the probability of getting at least one pair?

(A) 1/6
(B) 5/18
(C) 1/2
(D) 2/3
(E) 13/18


We want P(get at least 1 pair)
When it comes to probability questions involving "at least," it's typically best to use the complement.

That is, P(Event A happening) = 1 - P(Event A not happening)

So, here we get: P(getting at least 1 pair) = 1 - P(not getting at least 1 pair)
What does it mean to not get at least 1 pair? It means getting zero pairs.
So, we can write: P(getting at least 1 pair) = 1 - P(getting zero pairs)

P(getting zero pairs)
P(getting zero pairs)= P(ANY value on 1st die AND different value on 2nd die AND different value on 3rd die AND different value on 4th die)
= P(ANY value on 1st die) x P(different value on 2nd die) x P(different value on 3rd die) x P(different value on 4th die)
= 1 x 5/6 x 4/6 x 3/6
= 5/18


So, P(getting at least 1 pair) = 1 - 5/18
= 13/18

Answer: E

Cheers,
Brent
_________________

Brent Hanneson – Founder of gmatprepnow.com

Image

Re: If four fair dice are thrown simultaneously, what is the probability   [#permalink] 23 Apr 2018, 13:34
Display posts from previous: Sort by

If four fair dice are thrown simultaneously, what is the probability

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.